[MtG/EDH] Five-Color Enchantment Shenanigans

So one day I got really funking bored with EDH and decided to completely homebrew something without looking anything up or referencing other decklists, and I decided to see what ridiculous sheet I could come up with.

And I kind of created a monster of a deck that my friends have now forbidden me from playing xD

Note: Made this list on Cockatrice. I don't actually own these cards. Hence the ABU duals :p

[spoiler=The Deck]Commander: Cromat

Artifacts (10)

Amulet of Vigor

Chromatic Lantern

Coalition Relic

Darksteel Ingot

Expedition Map

Gilded Lotus

Manalith

Planar Portal

Sensei's Divining Top

Sol Ring

Creatures (9)

Academy Rector

Argothian Enchantress

Avacyn, Angel of Hope

Birds of Paradise

Eidolon of Blossoms

Eternal Witness

Mesa Enchantress

Platinum Angel

Verduran Enchantress

Enchantment (26)

Assemble the Legion

Banishing Light

Debtor's Knell

Defense of the Heart

Dissipation Field

Dovescape

Dueling Grounds

Ghostly Prison

Greater Auramancy

Helix Pinnacle

Honden of Cleansing Fire

Honden of Life's Web

Ice Cave

Leyline of Anticipation

Leyline of Sanctity

Lightmine Field

Luminarch Ascension 

Mana Reflection

Mirari's Wake

Oblivion Ring

Prismatic Omen

Privileged Position

Propaganda

Sphere of Safety

Stirling Grove

War Tax

Instant (1)

Swords to Plowshares

Land (38)

Arcane Sanctum

Badlands

Bayou

Boseiju, Who Shelters All

City of Brass

Command Tower

Crumbling Necropolis

Exotic Orchard

Forbidden Orchard

Frontier Bivouac

Grand Coliseum 

Jungle Shrine

Mana Confluence

Mikokoro, Center of the Sea

Mirrodin's Core

Mystic Monastery

Nomad Outpost

Opulent Palace

Plateau

Reflecting Pool

Reliquary Tower

Sandsteppe Citadel

Savage Lands

Savannah

Scrubland

Seaside Citadel

Serra's Sanctum

Taiga

Thespian's Stage

Tropical Island

Tundra

Underground Sea

Vivid Crag

Vivid Creek

Vivid Grove

Vivid Marsh

Vivid Meadow

Volcanic Island

Planeswalker (3)

Garruk Wildspeaker

Karn Liberated

Tezzeret the Seeker

Sorcery (12)

Damnation

Demonic Tutor

Enduring Ideal

Fabricate

Farseek

Grim Tutor

Imperial Seal

Plea for Guidance

Replenish

Sylvan Scrying

Tempt with Discovery

Wargate

General purpose of the deck is to set up a few enchantments like Lightmine Field, Ghostly Prison, War Tax, Propaganda, Greater Auramancy, Stirling Grove, and Dissipation Field for some stall, while using the plentiful amount of tutors to search up Enduring Ideal.

Once your boardstate contains enough stall and you're pretty sure that it isn't gonna get countered, cast Enduring Ideal. The initial enchantment you want to search is usually going to be Dovescape. Since you won't be casting any spells for the rest of the game, Dovescape won't negatively affect you, and it's a handy way of stopping shenanigans like Tempest of Light, Naturalize, Disenchant, Planar Cleansing, Akroma's Judgement, and basically anything that isn't a Reclamation Sage or an Acidic Slime that'd make your sheet go boom. 

Once you have Dovescape out, you usually want to fetch Defense of the Heart. Hopefully you can trigger it, and you usually want to fetch Platinum Angel and Avacyn off of Defense of the Heart. Combined with Dovescape and all your stall, this should make you damn near impossible to actually kill or deal with. 

Once you're pretty sure you're untouchable, you have a few options. You can snag Assemble the Legion and slowly build up a massive unstoppable army to kill people with, or you can grab Helix Pinnacle and start building up that win. 

Obviously this deck can be dismantled, if you draw your Helix Pinnacle or Assemble the Legion after casting Enduring Ideal, it hurts, but that's why there are four main win conditions in the deck. Assemble the Legion, Helix Pinnacle, Debtor's Knell, and Luminarch Ascension. It's also usually a good idea to try and kill off your Enchantress's before casting Enduring Ideal, although it's usually alright to leave them around if you can't kill them off. 

This deck was designed for use in a playgroup that disallows the use of 'Exodia Bullshit', i.e. infinite mana/damage/turns combos. You could pretty easily slot in some of those combos if you really wanted to, Sanguine Bond/Exquisite Blood would probably work quite well in this deck. 

Would Starfield of Nyx be something this deck would want? It turns all your enchantments into creatures to kill your opponents and once you have the "lock" of Avacyn + Dovescape it is pretty safe. It also lets you get back any pieces you might have lost earlier as well as allowing you to get a wincon into play if you draw.

No Guile for sweet, sweet infinite combos with Dovescape?

As for Starfield, I had mixed results with it in my Heliod deck. Yeah, it lets you recover enchantments, but once the activation condition triggers, your opponent can just Wrath of God your pillowfort away. I'd suggest testing it before figuring out a more solid cut.

Would Starfield of Nyx be something this deck would want? It turns all your enchantments into creatures to kill your opponents and once you have the "lock" of Avacyn + Dovescape it is pretty safe. It also lets you get back any pieces you might have lost earlier as well as allowing you to get a wincon into play if you draw.

starfield/opalescence is a trap for these kinds of decks. You don't want to be turning on your opponents removal for your lock pieces.

starfield/opalescence is a trap for these kinds of decks. You don't want to be turning on your opponents removal for your lock pieces.

But what removal gets you when you have both Dovescape and Avacyn in play? It would need to specifically be creatures that exile other creatures and I can't think of a ton that see regular play.

But what removal gets you when you have both Dovescape and Avacyn in play? It would need to specifically be creatures that exile other creatures and I can't think of a ton that see regular play.

You're not going to get dovescape and avacyn in play every game. No point making your board weak to sweepers and spot removal if you can't lock them out, or use a different combo as a lock.

You're not going to get dovescape and avacyn in play every game. No point making your board weak to sweepers and spot removal if you can't lock them out, or use a different combo as a lock.

It seems to be one of the design goals of the deck to do that though. Again, I'd normally never recommend Starfield, but when the goal of the deck is to play Enduring Ideal and assemble a combo it doesn't seem terrible. If you can't, just don't play it. While you don't want many of those kinds of cards, commander is a format where having one or two such cards isn't the end of the world.

It seems to be one of the design goals of the deck to do that though. Again, I'd normally never recommend Starfield, but when the goal of the deck is to play Enduring Ideal and assemble a combo it doesn't seem terrible. If you can't, just don't play it. While you don't want many of those kinds of cards, commander is a format where having one or two such cards isn't the end of the world.

You're right, in 100 card singleton it doesn't really make much of a difference if you allow yourself some other strategies.

Archived