[Shinigami] Rest in peace.

The Nyx Avatar

Shinigami Recruitment: A standard Hieratic Seal of Convocation, not much to say.

Shinigami’s Gift: Seeing as your Shinigami monsters have weaker attacks, at best you’re getting a 2850 beater by using it on Wither. Even then, that’ll fail to run over Blue-Eyes. Honestly I think this would be better if it just boosted the ATK and DEF of any Shinigami monsters along with that protection. Players likely aren’t going to waste resources to destroy them, they’ll just beat over the Level 4 ones and lower, so that protection would be better suited for your Synchros.

Shinigami Upgrade: Yes, more good equip spells, it’s like Konami’s completely abandoned the concept since Noble Arms. That unaffected by card effects clause is fine, as this card can still be destroyed. The searching effect upon it leaving the field is nice, but I’d reword it to, “When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard.”

Shinigami’s Condolence: Nice restriction, it’s like an archetype specific Soul Charge. However, like Soul Charge I feel you should make it so that you can’t conduct battle the turn you use it.

Shinigami’s Pity: The revival of Shinigami’s is great to make more Synchro plays, and the banishing effect once it hits the graveyard is nice too, great against the current meta, and again making a nice effect that matches the theme of this archetype.

Shinigami Lotus (or is it supposed to be Shinigami Lure?): Anyways, I like cards with counters and this one is actually able to get them really easily in the current meta. Effects from the Graveyard and Special Summoning are rampant in this meta, so this card is very useful. I’d put a (max. 5) so that it doesn’t get a ridiculous amount, as decks like Burning Abyss will probably have you ending up with 20 counters on this card. Also, is that limitation of activating one per turn supposed to be such that you can only use its effect to add a monster to your hand once per turn, or you can only play this card once per turn, because it’s a very important distinction. If you got two of these on the field it’d be very easy to go +2.

Rhapsody of Shinigami: As a trap, it’s slow, so despite the effect being somewhat powerful, it’s totally fine. The effect once it hits the grave is good, as you could potentially get Synchros back with it. I believe you’d want to phrase it as ‘You can only each effect of “Rhapsody of Shinigami” once per turn.’

Shinigami Sea of Chaos: Targeting negation upon leaving the field is a bit strong, I think making it just if it’s send to the Graveyard will be fine enough as there are ways to abuse this. Anyway, it helps recovers resources and go +1, with a possible chance to special summon, so it’s a good card in my book.

Shinigami’s Punishment: Honestly you could just have it as banish a “Shinigami” monster from your hand or field for this counter trap since it only negates Spell/Traps.

Shinigami Shatter: Now this seems to powerful honestly. It’s a recoverable Solemn Strike for 1000 LP. Negating summons is really powerful in this meta. First off, I think you should make it so that it can’t be recovered from the Graveyard, and I’d make the cost of it that you have to banish a “Shinigami” monster you control.

Shinigami Innocence: I think straight out preventing Graveyard effects continuously for an easily summoned monster is a bit too powerful. I’d make it so that it can negate effects from the Graveyard once per turn, similar to Blue-Eyes Spirit Dragon. The banishing effect is fine as non-targeting since it specifies Synchro monsters.

Shinigami Facade: Again, an inherent Solemn Strike is a bit too powerful, this is why Thunder King Rai-Oh is at 1. As tech against Pendulums and Rituals it’s fine, not too strong. The effect upon it being sent to the Graveyard is fine, so I’d definitely think it’d be a good idea to find another useful thing it could do to send itself to the Graveyard.

Shinigami Sin: So it’s like the Dark Law of Shinigamis (20 points if you get the reference). Honestly pretty nice anti-meta support. Non-targeting banishment of any extra deck monster is too strong though, as it’s such a wide breadth of monsters, and this card would be easily spammable.

Shinigami Purge: Honestly, since you have Sin, I don’t see much point in this card. Sure you banish the material too, but it’s not like that makes it worth the space in your extra deck. Also, again, negating all card effects in the Graveyard is just too powerful of a flood gate.

Shinigami Judge: Since this is a higher level monster it makes a bit more sense for it to have that effect to negate all effects of monster that are sent to the Graveyard. I’m glad it says of both players too, so this can’t be teched in any deck either. The equipping of a monster from the Graveyard is nice, helps prevent revival of certain cards, and makes sense for the archetype.

Shinigami Deep Sleep: Honestly, that banishing of all cards your opponent has makes this techable in anything, and it seems too strong of an effect for a 2500 ATK monster that again isn’t too hard to summon. The effect upon it being Special Summoned is fine, and I’m glad it doesn’t specify your opponent’s monsters, as it allows you to banish your own monsters to inflict damage to your opponent, but it really should be targeted banishing.

Shinigami Scourge: Banishing an Xyz or Synchro monster is fine, just make it target, and this card’s base attack should be 2200 or something if you want that 500 ATK boost to be a thing, if not, just make it 2500 like Shinigami Grace.

Shinigami Grace: Since it has to banish a Ritual, Pendulum, or Fusion I guess it’s somewhat balanced, it could be possible for the opponent to get out of it and not let you draw, but still really powerful.

Shinigami Loyalty: That out of nowhere cost is just weird to me, anyway, non targeting banishing of a spell/trap is actually fine honestly since it’s easier to tag out of it, and since you gave it a weak statline of 2000 it’d be fine enough.

Shinigami Deadline: Too many effects for how it’s summoned. It’s a Level 6 that’s unaffected by monster effects, and will auto-kill any special summoned monster that has 3000 ATK or less. It also floodgates monster effects during opponent’s turn, preventing disruption, which is one of the more fun moments in YuGiOh.

Shinigami Redemption: You don’t have any monsters that require Synchro monsters as material, so that Level change seems weird and pointless. Also, it’s level 8, so banishing 1 spell/trap is fine I guess.

Shinigami Omen: Okay, now you gave a cost to uphold its ability to prevent Graveyard effects and you didn’t give it to the other monsters, which is making me question why? Anyway, non-targeting banish rant again.

Shinigami Wrath: Honestly a much more fair card that it might suggest. Seeing as we have Number 77: The Seven Sins, this is basically similar to that, just a bit weaker. The attack and summoning restriction is nice, and banishing destroyed monsters is good.

Shinigami Justice: A balanced card, and it’s your strongest one, weird. Anyway, the non-targeting banishment for this card is fine since it’s harder to summon. I feel like this is the only monster that should have the “neither player can activate card effects in the Graveyard.” It’s just too abusable on the other ones, unless you put OPTs on them. The destruction protection is good too.

Small things to note: Allure of Darkness would be really powerful in this deck, as it banishes your Shinigamis, so that’s cool, as it’s a very powerful draw card. This deck feels like it has an awful match-up with Monarchs in all honesty, as none of the basic Synchros work on them, and Domain will shut down your Synchros. Against Kozmos, they don’t care much about being banished, as Kozmotown returns them, but negating effects of cards during your turn is super annoying, as they can’t disrupt plays. Burning Abyss will hate this deck with a passion as it negates Grave effects all day long, and as much as I’d like BA to go away, this isn’t how I’d want it done.

After reviewing your archetype, I’m not sure what your win condition is supposed to be, is it just spamming Synchros until you banish your opponent’s entire field, and attack for game? Also, it feels like you made way too many cards that do the same thing as one another, and I especially notices this in your Synchro monsters that got a bit hard to distinguish from one another after a while. I’d really rework the effects of your Synchros, so they don’t feel like alternate skins of each other, and I really don’t think you need Pendulums from what I’ve seen of this deck. Probably cut out some of the weaker tuners and non-tuners that don’t help promote the engine, and focus on making this a more fair anti-meta/rogue deck is all I can really give to you.

Shinigami Recruitment: A standard Hieratic Seal of Convocation, not much to say.

Shinigami’s Gift: Seeing as your Shinigami monsters have weaker attacks, at best you’re getting a 2850 beater by using it on Wither. Even then, that’ll fail to run over Blue-Eyes. Honestly I think this would be better if it just boosted the ATK and DEF of any Shinigami monsters along with that protection. Players likely aren’t going to waste resources to destroy them, they’ll just beat over the Level 4 ones and lower, so that protection would be better suited for your Synchros.

Shinigami Upgrade: Yes, more good equip spells, it’s like Konami’s completely abandoned the concept since Noble Arms. That unaffected by card effects clause is fine, as this card can still be destroyed. The searching effect upon it leaving the field is nice, but I’d reword it to, “When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard.”

Shinigami’s Condolence: Nice restriction, it’s like an archetype specific Soul Charge. However, like Soul Charge I feel you should make it so that you can’t conduct battle the turn you use it.

Shinigami’s Pity: The revival of Shinigami’s is great to make more Synchro plays, and the banishing effect once it hits the graveyard is nice too, great against the current meta, and again making a nice effect that matches the theme of this archetype.

Shinigami Lotus (or is it supposed to be Shinigami Lure?): Anyways, I like cards with counters and this one is actually able to get them really easily in the current meta. Effects from the Graveyard and Special Summoning are rampant in this meta, so this card is very useful. I’d put a (max. 5) so that it doesn’t get a ridiculous amount, as decks like Burning Abyss will probably have you ending up with 20 counters on this card. Also, is that limitation of activating one per turn supposed to be such that you can only use its effect to add a monster to your hand once per turn, or you can only play this card once per turn, because it’s a very important distinction. If you got two of these on the field it’d be very easy to go +2.

Rhapsody of Shinigami: As a trap, it’s slow, so despite the effect being somewhat powerful, it’s totally fine. The effect once it hits the grave is good, as you could potentially get Synchros back with it. I believe you’d want to phrase it as ‘You can only each effect of “Rhapsody of Shinigami” once per turn.’

Shinigami Sea of Chaos: Targeting negation upon leaving the field is a bit strong, I think making it just if it’s send to the Graveyard will be fine enough as there are ways to abuse this. Anyway, it helps recovers resources and go +1, with a possible chance to special summon, so it’s a good card in my book.

Shinigami’s Punishment: Honestly you could just have it as banish a “Shinigami” monster from your hand or field for this counter trap since it only negates Spell/Traps.

Shinigami Shatter: Now this seems to powerful honestly. It’s a recoverable Solemn Strike for 1000 LP. Negating summons is really powerful in this meta. First off, I think you should make it so that it can’t be recovered from the Graveyard, and I’d make the cost of it that you have to banish a “Shinigami” monster you control.

Shinigami Innocence: I think straight out preventing Graveyard effects continuously for an easily summoned monster is a bit too powerful. I’d make it so that it can negate effects from the Graveyard once per turn, similar to Blue-Eyes Spirit Dragon. The banishing effect is fine as non-targeting since it specifies Synchro monsters.

Shinigami Facade: Again, an inherent Solemn Strike is a bit too powerful, this is why Thunder King Rai-Oh is at 1. As tech against Pendulums and Rituals it’s fine, not too strong. The effect upon it being sent to the Graveyard is fine, so I’d definitely think it’d be a good idea to find another useful thing it could do to send itself to the Graveyard.

Shinigami Sin: So it’s like the Dark Law of Shinigamis (20 points if you get the reference). Honestly pretty nice anti-meta support. Non-targeting banishment of any extra deck monster is too strong though, as it’s such a wide breadth of monsters, and this card would be easily spammable.

Shinigami Purge: Honestly, since you have Sin, I don’t see much point in this card. Sure you banish the material too, but it’s not like that makes it worth the space in your extra deck. Also, again, negating all card effects in the Graveyard is just too powerful of a flood gate.

Shinigami Judge: Since this is a higher level monster it makes a bit more sense for it to have that effect to negate all effects of monster that are sent to the Graveyard. I’m glad it says of both players too, so this can’t be teched in any deck either. The equipping of a monster from the Graveyard is nice, helps prevent revival of certain cards, and makes sense for the archetype.

Shinigami Deep Sleep: Honestly, that banishing of all cards your opponent has makes this techable in anything, and it seems too strong of an effect for a 2500 ATK monster that again isn’t too hard to summon. The effect upon it being Special Summoned is fine, and I’m glad it doesn’t specify your opponent’s monsters, as it allows you to banish your own monsters to inflict damage to your opponent, but it really should be targeted banishing.

Shinigami Scourge: Banishing an Xyz or Synchro monster is fine, just make it target, and this card’s base attack should be 2200 or something if you want that 500 ATK boost to be a thing, if not, just make it 2500 like Shinigami Grace.

Shinigami Grace: Since it has to banish a Ritual, Pendulum, or Fusion I guess it’s somewhat balanced, it could be possible for the opponent to get out of it and not let you draw, but still really powerful.

Shinigami Loyalty: That out of nowhere cost is just weird to me, anyway, non targeting banishing of a spell/trap is actually fine honestly since it’s easier to tag out of it, and since you gave it a weak statline of 2000 it’d be fine enough.

Shinigami Deadline: Too many effects for how it’s summoned. It’s a Level 6 that’s unaffected by monster effects, and will auto-kill any special summoned monster that has 3000 ATK or less. It also floodgates monster effects during opponent’s turn, preventing disruption, which is one of the more fun moments in YuGiOh.

Shinigami Redemption: You don’t have any monsters that require Synchro monsters as material, so that Level change seems weird and pointless. Also, it’s level 8, so banishing 1 spell/trap is fine I guess.

Shinigami Omen: Okay, now you gave a cost to uphold its ability to prevent Graveyard effects and you didn’t give it to the other monsters, which is making me question why? Anyway, non-targeting banish rant again.

Shinigami Wrath: Honestly a much more fair card that it might suggest. Seeing as we have Number 77: The Seven Sins, this is basically similar to that, just a bit weaker. The attack and summoning restriction is nice, and banishing destroyed monsters is good.

Shinigami Justice: A balanced card, and it’s your strongest one, weird. Anyway, the non-targeting banishment for this card is fine since it’s harder to summon. I feel like this is the only monster that should have the “neither player can activate card effects in the Graveyard.” It’s just too abusable on the other ones, unless you put OPTs on them. The destruction protection is good too.

Small things to note: Allure of Darkness would be really powerful in this deck, as it banishes your Shinigamis, so that’s cool, as it’s a very powerful draw card. This deck feels like it has an awful match-up with Monarchs in all honesty, as none of the basic Synchros work on them, and Domain will shut down your Synchros. Against Kozmos, they don’t care much about being banished, as Kozmotown returns them, but negating effects of cards during your turn is super annoying, as they can’t disrupt plays. Burning Abyss will hate this deck with a passion as it negates Grave effects all day long, and as much as I’d like BA to go away, this isn’t how I’d want it done.

After reviewing your archetype, I’m not sure what your win condition is supposed to be, is it just spamming Synchros until you banish your opponent’s entire field, and attack for game? Also, it feels like you made way too many cards that do the same thing as one another, and I especially notices this in your Synchro monsters that got a bit hard to distinguish from one another after a while. I’d really rework the effects of your Synchros, so they don’t feel like alternate skins of each other, and I really don’t think you need Pendulums from what I’ve seen of this deck. Probably cut out some of the weaker tuners and non-tuners that don’t help promote the engine, and focus on making this a more fair anti-meta/rogue deck is all I can really give to you.

Originally, I started this archetype when Grave-triggering was most prominent, with the advent of Shaddoll and Burning Abyss. The main goal is to shut down the Graveyard (and no; I'm not budging on this one). However, against the other Decks, I guess you could just resort to the banish effects.

That's fine and all, but I feel like decks dedicated to busting a certain type of monster or mechanic usually aren't that great. I mean there's a reason why people don't use Buster Blader or Meklord decks.

The difference being that this archetype can set up plays easier.

And yes; Blasphemy was meant to be more of a beatstick; I wouldn't recommend more than one (if at all).

Archived