[M:tG] Cascading Dark

Lunar Origins

This presents a rules issue, in that creatures won't die during the resolution of a spell, since they die as a state based action. The best way to remedy this is change it to say "if that creature has toughness 0 or less, another target creature". This is not identical in effect to what you intended, as if, say a 5/5 had been dealt 1 damage before being targeted by this, the effect would not progress, despite the creature dying. Another issue is if a card like planar void or rest Ib peace is online, as this will still progress through its effects under my wording, while with the original intent the "die" trigger would not go off, but it is the best I can think of. The only other solution I can think of is giving the targets a triggered ability, but that would honestly be a mess.

As for balance, this is actually pretty ridiculous. In most cases, it will kill 2 creatures, for 4 mana. Compare cone of flame and incremental blight. My solution would be to bring the starting amount down to -3/-3. It would still be powerful, and have the potential for ridiculous value, without being a near guaranteed 2-3 for 1.

Adding to what Giga said, you could make it an aura where it starts with 3 counters and it loses 1 to reattach itself to another creature, and once it hits 0 it self-destructs and gives you a draw, where the amount the creature loses is based on the number of counters on it.

Only problem with that is counter multiplying cards. You could put a cap or something on it, but idk if that exists in magic.

Archived