J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Film Series

Hikaru Sulu, played by John Cho in the reboot of the Star Trek franchise, is revealed to have a loving same-sex partner with whom he is raising a daughter, in Star Trek Beyond, the Herald Sun reports:

Cho visited Sydney to promote the third movie in the franchise successfully rebooted by JJ Abrams in 2009, along with cast mates Chris Pine (Captain Kirk), Zachary Quinto (Spock), Karl Urban (Dr McCoy) and director Justin Lin. He said the decision by writer Simon Pegg and Lin to make Sulu gay was a nod to George Takei, who played the character in the original 1960s series, and was a sign of what he hoped were changing times.

“I liked the approach, which was not to make a big thing out it, which is where I hope we are going as a species, to not politicise one’s personal orientations,” said Cho.

News emerged in January that Sulu had a daughter, but Cho promised, “there is another revelation that you’ll find out in regards to this baby, but you’ll have to wait to see the movie.”

• 3 weeks later...

Well Paramount sure is confident in Star Trek Beyond. The third Trek film in the rebooted franchise that began with J.J. Abrams’ 2009 film opens in theaters this Friday, but today Paramount and Bad Robot went ahead and announced official plans for Star Trek 4. As we heard on Friday, Chris Hemsworth is now confirmed to co-star alongside Chris Pine, reprising his role as Captain Kirk’s father from the prologue of Star Trek 2009 and continuing Pine’s Daddy Issues arc that’s been the backbone of this rebooted franchise thus far.

The official logline for Star Trek 4 is as follows:

In the next installment of the epic space adventure, Chris Pine’s Captain Kirk will cross paths with a man he never had a chance to meet, but whose legacy has haunted him since the day he was born: his father.

I decided to merge both your threads together, since they discuss the same series. It might be good to have one in light of how Star Trek Beyond just came out. Hoping to maybe see it tomorrow.

I'm happy with Sulu being gay in the movie. That's a neat little reference.

Curious how Kirk will meet his dad. Probably some time travel, since the first two films in this series have been fond of that.

Archived