[MtG] [CNS 2] Kaya, Ghost Assassin

Rodrigo

The flavor on her design is overwhelming.

• She's an assassin, a hired knife. There's no way to add loyalty to her.
  • The only way to get her counters back up is to pay her (the -2 life on her +0 ability) to set up a new contract.
  • Finally, she doesn't kill living creatures, but she can kill tokens (aka ghosts) permanently.

Want this so badly.

Also, she's number 75/221. If they're doing the same thing as they did with CNS, new cards come first. Which means we get 75+ new cards. Compared to the 65 from Conspiracy, that's not bad.

EDIT: As a heads up for Rod, the set code for her set is CS2. :)

It might be flavourful but I can't help but think this card is really weak. For 4 mana you can get a Liliana of the Veil, JTMS, Knight-Errant, both of the good Sorins, Nahiri and so on. The 0 ability is cute but there's better ways to blink creatures in every format this will be legal in. I'd rather have a ResoAngel 99% of the time than cast this. I mean in an Esper Control shell you could blink Resto or Snapcaster / Wall of Omens / Vendillion Clique but Karakas exists, and often 2-3 Restos are enough per game. The -1 actually doesn't do anything to affect the game state. The -2 is kinda just a bastard Liliana +1, they choose what they discard therefore it's far weaker than any of the B discard spells.

I can't see this actually being played in Legacy, Miracles is tight enough as is in just UW and the Esper Control deck is weaker than Miracles (much to my dismay) and Deathblade has no room for this. Modern maybe, but I'm the Legacy gal here so I'll refrain from commenting. This is why I don't like it when cards are designed around flavour rather than actually being good cards. Dack Fayden was playable in Vintage, at least. 

It might be flavourful but I can't help but think this card is really weak. For 4 mana you can get a Liliana of the Veil, JTMS, Knight-Errant, both of the good Sorins, Nahiri and so on. The 0 ability is cute but there's better ways to blink creatures in every format this will be legal in. I'd rather have a ResoAngel 99% of the time than cast this. I mean in an Esper Control shell you could blink Resto or Snapcaster / Wall of Omens / Vendillion Clique but Karakas exists, and often 2-3 Restos are enough per game. The -1 actually doesn't do anything to affect the game state. The -2 is kinda just a bastard Liliana +1, they choose what they discard therefore it's far weaker than any of the B discard spells.

I can't see this actually being played in Legacy, Miracles is tight enough as is in just UW and the Esper Control deck is weaker than Miracles (much to my dismay) and Deathblade has no room for this. Modern maybe, but I'm the Legacy gal here so I'll refrain from commenting. This is why I don't like it when cards are designed around flavour rather than actually being good cards. Dack Fayden was playable in Vintage, at least.

It's not legal in Modern. Comparing it to Liliana is a little bizarre. LotV's +1 is nothing like Kaya's -2. I mean, Kaya's draws you a card which is insane.

I think it's pretty close to being a good card. It's far from a bad walker. Besides, not every Conspiracy card is catered towards Eternal players. EDH players and cube players should have this is contention. This is way more interesting than the other Sorins in cube, for instance.

It's not legal in Modern. Comparing it to Liliana is a little bizarre. LotV's +1 is nothing like Kaya's -2. I mean, Kaya's draws you a card which is insane.

I think it's pretty close to being a good card. It's far from a bad walker. Besides, not every Conspiracy card is catered towards Eternal players. EDH players and cube players should have this is contention. This is way more interesting than the other Sorins in cube, for instance.

It isn't? My bad, I thought it was. And she might not be far off from a good card, but from an Eternal standpoint, you need to outperform everyone else in your role to be considered good enough to make the cut. Is she playable? Probably. Is she as good as other 4 and even 3 mana walkers like Jace and/or Lili? Not even close. It's just if I want a Planeswalker that controls the board and kills the hand, you pick Liliana. 

It isn't? My bad, I thought it was. And she might not be far off from a good card, but from an Eternal standpoint, you need to outperform everyone else in your role to be considered good enough to make the cut. Is she playable? Probably. Is she as good as other 4 and even 3 mana walkers like Jace and/or Lili? Not even close. It's just if I want a Planeswalker that controls the board and kills the hand, you pick Liliana.

No, you're definitely right. Kaya doesn't put even a dent in Liliana. I'm glad that this design has seen print though. It's cool, it's interesting, and there's definitely formats that want it even if Legacy doesn't.

Im in agreement that the flavor is wonderful, but her strength leaves much to be desired. I very seriously doubt I'll be finding a slot for her in my Superfriends EDH.

I hope there's another 'walker in this set. Return of Daretti?

New Daretti is pretty much confirmed. He's on the booster art, looking all fancy in his academy robes.

Archived