Dark Souls III

0oD9QvA.jpg?1sqr6KSG.jpg?1

Well, the old thread died months ago, and we've got some damn exciting news coming up, so I thought I'd start a new thread for the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4y4f9v/new_announcement_on_august_24th/

FromSoft was revealed to be talking at Gamecon a few days ago, and now they have officially confirmed an announcement to happen in about a week from this post. Expect DLC news, huzzah. Most likely going to be a Deep themed DLC, looking to be a bit Lovecraftian or however it's spelled. I'm theorizing that the two DLCs will include an angel based DLC and a Deep based DLC, based on the current lore in the game.

In other news, the person who works with FromSoft but posts to the English Reddit has the patch notes ready for us: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4y4xhc/update_107_patchnotes_august_25th/

Just as vague as ever, but definitely a step in the right direction. As an avid shield piercer user, I have been waiting for them to function properly, haha.

--------------------------------------

Now that news is out of the way, feel free to talk about the game as a whole. Balancing, things you love, things that could be better, bosses you struggle, inevitable stupid s*** like SL1 torch solos. The usual.

Oh! I almost forgot. Discuss your builds, playthroughs, playstyles, and so forth! I love helping people out with that stuff, and seeing what they come up with :D

Also, my PSN is FlandreScarlette. If you play on the PS4, feel free to add me. I'm currently a moderator for one of the game's larger communities, and would love to help anyone with PvE or set up some cool PvP s***. Was a blast yesterday, actually. We had duo teamfights. s*** was glorious. Finally, I am a walking book for the majority of the game; the exception being the hidden damage formulas and mechanics (though some reddit people have been working on those!). If you need any information on something, I've got your back.

Ty1Ze8G.jpg?1

Time to respec into Faith and start chucking Destructo Discs. We DBZ now.

I wonder how the PvP arena will go over, hopefully not overwhelmingly so because I like the area outside of Pontiff.

If invasions weren't such a design failure in DSIII, I would be wayyyy more tempted to PvP in Pontiff.

But, as they are what they are, I hope the new PvP arena has great matchmaking and is widely used.

jabroni, I have 99 Faith. You'll be chucking peasant boomerangs. I'll be throwing the Destructo Discs.

Why would you invade at Pontiff? Pontiff's all about putting down your signs for duels and fight clubs.

Aldrich Covenant. Lots of people. Environment to use. 

One of the only viable invasion areas in the game, next to the Catacombs of Carthus.

I dabble in literally everything in the game. I do invasions, hosts, phantoms, covenants...it's all good, I think you should try everything out.

As weak as invading is in this game, it's still quite rewarding UNLESS you find 3-4 man gank squads. The degenerate-ness that is a password summoned Red taking up an invasion slot is disgusting. However, 3 enemies total (two whites and a host) is still a plausible environment for success. 

Nai, do you actually play DS3? :o

ESTUS SOUP STRIKES BACK

Well that's different, usually when people talk about Pontiff they mean the actual PvP area right outside, not the rest of the place.

And as an invader it's set to pit you against people with phantoms as part of matchmaking, so you find multiple opponents more often than not.

Well that's different, usually when people talk about Pontiff they mean the actual PvP area right outside.

And as an invader it's set to pit you against people with phantoms as part of matchmaking.

People mean both, from my experience.

That being said, I've never been an overly active fight club person. Might be me slightly out of the loop of terms people use.

At high levels, "Pontiff" includes all forms of PVP. Because fight clubs are rarer, and whatnot.

At your lower levels, I wouldn't be surprised if "Pontiff" just meant fightclubs, usually. 

I played it, although doesn't really do PvP much because s*** connection.

Don't worry, it really isn't just you. FromSoft uses peer to peer connection instead of servers. In fact, laggy people win the most. Legit. I'd give it a shot, haha.

What system do you play on?

I'm usually only there for duels, but I do it as a purple, and whenever I get summoned into a fight club I just make it my purpose to cause chaos and destroy it. In my experience if you just start hitting people indiscriminately, everything falls apart and it's awesome.

5944728+_1d02259de5a1c46391ec0c35a2ba639

I'm usually only there for duels, but I do it as a purple, and whenever I get summoned into a fight club I just make it my purpose to cause chaos and destroy it. In my experience if you just start hitting people indiscriminately, everything falls apart and it's awesome.

5944728+_1d02259de5a1c46391ec0c35a2ba639

Especially when they all hit each other. Fun times. I'm a master at using Obscuring Ring+Hawk Ring+Slumbering Dragon Crest Ring to snipe with the Dragonslayer Greatbow. You're always far enough away to run from them, but close enough to piss them off into a chase. Always enjoyable.

Don't worry, it really isn't just you. FromSoft uses peer to peer connection instead of servers. In fact, laggy people win the most. Legit. I'd give it a shot, haha.

What system do you play on?

PS4, usually dicking around with Luck build.

Kinda been considering it, but...well, it really doesn't feel pretty fun if you play PvP while lagging heavily.

PS4, usually dicking around with Luck build.

Kinda been considering it, but...well, it really doesn't feel pretty fun if you play PvP while lagging heavily.

Oh, you have a PS4?

Well, I think Shradow does too. I love playing with new people :D What are your PSNs? Mind if I add you?

Luck build...a solid choice all around, really. An essentially superior quality build if you're good with the weapons involved.

And on the note of fashion souls, I really just cosplay. But I'm a damn good cosplayer.

My Alva and Solaire are a thing to be feared :3

My Soul of Cinder, Black Knight, and Nameless King are all WIPS, and Artorias and Havel are just shitty to cosplay as.

Your Tinder fashion souls isn't too shabby. I rather like it, despite the non-matching-ness.

It's really odd when your friends are laggy and they don't recognize it. I'm glad you know when you're lagging, Nai :P

My PSN is Ragaror.

I had seen that recently on your profile.

"Shradow Shradow Shradow Shradow Ragaror" xD

I'll add you when I can next get online.

I'll send a community invite, too. Actively trying to get events and stuff running.

Will also carry people's asses through the DLC if they need it or want it ;D

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to talk about how people feel the game ranks compared to the others and stuff. 

Because to me the game just fell apart once you hit Irithyll and my joy to finish the game just ended there. 

Alright, here we go.

I have not yet played Demon Souls. I have seen bits, know a few of the mechanics, and looked at the bosses, but that's not enough for me to talk about it.

Bloodbourne is something I probably won't play. It's also so utterly...non-Souls like that I will seldom refer to it.

I'll break it down something like this.

Feel

Mechanics

World Design

Game Length (first time, future runs, etc)

Boss Fights

Weapon Design

PvP Design

PvP Balance

Other Noteworthy Things

Dark Souls I. I didn't play PvP, but I played a ton of PVE. 

So.

Dark Souls I felt AMAZING. I have no doubt it being the first one I played has made this biased, but at the same time, nothing quite feels the same as the first souls game. Just a few minutes in, and you feel like you can go anywhere (and for the most part, you can!). You have no idea what you are doing, things are tough, but you eventually fumble around long enough to figure stuff out. My kind of game. The game's secret areas, interactions, walls, and much more were seemingly convoluted but EXACTLY what you want out of a secret.

I still hold the opinion that Dark Souls I got poise right. The souls series isn't one for a ton of mechanics, so this one is the most noteworthy. You where heavy stuff, stuff doesn't stagger you as much. The other mechanic would be defense. You were too tanky in Dark Souls I, but it still is the only Souls game in which you can actually tank.

World Design

Again, let me stress, CHOICES. Jesus, you had a lot. And no area felt like another. Additionally, parts of your world linking back to others is the kind of thing I love to see in world design. Shortcuts were PROPERLY timed. Traveling between bonfires was a bit iffy. I don't like how every bonfire can be warped to in 2/3, but DS1 spread the warps out a bit too much for my liking after comparison. 

Most Souls games compare pretty similarly with game time, I won't lie. However, this game has a rougher (imo) NG+ than most do, with the exception being DS2.

Not much to elaborate on there, other than you can't just run for ages until you get to the next boss, necessarily. 

Boss Fights

Weapon Design

PvP Design

PvP Balance

Other Noteworthy Things

NOTE: This post is a work in progress! I will be typing more later, didn't want to lose stuff while I had it.

• 1 month later...

Archived