[MtG] Guardian of Oztoca'l, Corona Harbinger

.Rai

sooo If this creature isn't awakened, you may pay the cost, if you do, it becomes awakened.

maaybe slightly better wording? idk. yours made me go "wait, what?" twice before i got what it was trying to say.

Anyways, cool idea, i guess. Like just in general a set with this sort of Mayan feel would be cool.

I mean Guardian is really just kinda meh and the other one is pretty alright, as long as your behind in creatures.

sooo If this creature isn't awakened, you may pay the cost, if you do, it becomes awakened.

maaybe slightly better wording? idk. yours made me go "wait, what?" twice before i got what it was trying to say.

Anyways, cool idea, i guess. Like just in general a set with this sort of Mayan feel would be cool.

I mean Guardian is really just kinda meh and the other one is pretty alright, as long as your behind in creatures.

oh lol i kinda forgot that that wording was available

I'll change it to that.

So it's basically Monstrosity???

Pretty much. Just a more flexible and flashy version of Monstrosity. It's not really meant to be a lynchpin mechanic in the same way Monstrosity was. This is more of a design challenge for myself: it has memory issues that Monstrosity doesn't have, so its design space is far more narrow.

I think you need to find ways to help with the memory issues. Corona has the exiled card which helps, so little tells like that can go a long way. Like, for the Guardian having it be a normal artifact that becomes a 0/0 with 6 +1/+1 counters would let you know if its been turned on so to speak. I can see this design having issues since you'd have a huge range of effects that can be used, and a through line is generally pretty helpful for these types of things.

IMO, the best advice I can give is to keep coming up with various takes on awakened. From their figure out the version that plays the best and build from that version. Of the two you have, I think with a name like "awaken" the become a creature when used is the coolest. Under that model I'd make Corona an enchantment that awakens to an enchantment creature.

I think you need to find ways to help with the memory issues. Corona has the exiled card which helps, so little tells like that can go a long way. Like, for the Guardian having it be a normal artifact that becomes a 0/0 with 6 +1/+1 counters would let you know if its been turned on so to speak. I can see this design having issues since you'd have a huge range of effects that can be used, and a through line is generally pretty helpful for these types of things.

IMO, the best advice I can give is to keep coming up with various takes on awakened. From their figure out the version that plays the best and build from that version. Of the two you have, I think with a name like "awaken" the become a creature when used is the coolest. Under that model I'd make Corona an enchantment that awakens to an enchantment creature.

The way to track Golem is whether it's in your creatures area, or your artifacts area. I imagine most people keep their creature permanents and their noncreature permanents separate.

Yeah, I could see this mechanic being used mostly for animation. It's strong design space for the mechanic.

The way to track Golem is whether it's in your creatures area, or your artifacts area. I imagine most people keep their creature permanents and their noncreature permanents separate.

Yeah, I could see this mechanic being used mostly for animation. It's strong design space for the mechanic.

That helps, but I don't think its best option. I mean, the counters aren't perfect, but we do know that it works based on how monstrous ended up panning out. I also think for the animation version using counters is just a clearer way to do it. You are forced to used square stats, but people are already likely to use a dice to represent it being on and what its power/toughness is anyway so just making the mechanic use counters is best.

Archived