Yu-Gi-Oh! Genesis of the Virtual World [OOC/PG-16/Accepting]

awww ye here we go.

This is a reboot/prequel to the hit RP series by me. I didn't like how the previous one concluded, so I decided that, after five years, it was time to rev it up again and start anew.

[spoiler=Background Story]

With the VR Solid Vision technology created by Kaiba Corporation, a game was created by KC using this technology as a base, known simply as Duel Monsters: Virtual World. The beta testing went off without a hitch, and the game almost-literally printed money with its success. It catered to a wide variety of audiences, with the opportunity to engage in dozens of different types of duels in almost any kind of scenario or setting- including multiple types that hadn't existed before then! It seemed as if Duel Monsters would never lose its place as one of the most successful games in history. However, one day, without announcement, several more types of cards were quietly inserted into the game from an unknown source, causing a massive upheaval in the metagame. What are these cards? Well... if it wasn't obvious enough:

Synchro.

Xyz.

and Pendulum monsters.

As said, they were never announced. They seemed to have come from nowhere, in fact! Originally thought of as a bug, they were left in because they brought a level of speed and complexity to the game that was never seen before, resulting in a renewed interest of many fans who thought they outgrew Duel Monsters. This did leave the higher-ups curious, though, as they absolutely could not find out just who was responsible for this phenomena, but the positive response caused them to drop any investigation into the matter. After all, everything was wonderful! Sure, there were some cases of people dying while playing, but upon closer inspection, they were all due to malnutrition, lack of sleep, and standard things associated with playing far too many videogames.

...or at least, that's the cover story.

To the playerbase at large, there was nothing to be worried about. Just play in moderation, right? But several groups of players opted to investigate into the matter further, reaching into the depths of the game that were never meant to be seen by normal players, exploiting whatever manner of oversights, bugs, and glitches they could use. Deep within some of the older areas in the game that existed only within beta testing, an odd strain of data could be found that almost seemed viral, except, oddly enough, it didn't spread to any players, existing only within the depths of these beta areas. But perhaps more confusingly, the architecture of these beta areas was unlike anything that existed in the various settings of the game.

It was so... real, and contained quite a few odd landmarks that...

Well, no spoilers. Just what these landmarks are is a mystery that will be unraveled within time. But for those of you who are familiar with the Yu-Gi-Oh anime franchise as a whole, they'd appear to be things that were only built in the far future.

As of now, though, the actions of these players are nothing but whispers in the background and rumors, rarely talked about except to each other. They -are- breaking the rules, after all.

...and all ?̠͉E̸̱̞͉̞?̴͇̙̗0̳̭̠̭͔̀ could do was laugh in response.

[spoiler=Timeline Placement]
This takes place roughly three years after the end of Dark Side of Dimensions. Duel Academy has recently been founded in response to the wild resurgence of the popularity of Duel Monsters. However, Xyz, Synchro, and Pendulum monsters do not yet exist in real life and will come as a surprise to those who first start up the Virtual World game.

[spoiler=Rules]
-All YCM House Rules apply.
http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/348886-welcome-to-the-ycm-roleplay-section-rules-thread/
-Any duels may be in any format you can possibly conceive, but the default is standard TCG rules with 4000 Life Points.
-Outside of cards and effects that pretty much win the duel or prevent your opponent from playing YGO, all custom cards are allowed.
--However, if a custom card would not exist before your post, it must be personally approved by myself or the opponent you're using it on. In other words, a thread must exist containing all custom cards you wish to use before they are used in the duel.
---In the case of the opponent approving it, the card in question cannot be used in any future duels unless further approvals are granted.
-Anime and manga exclusive cards are also allowed minus ones that are obviously broken, which require approval before use. If you're not sure whether or not a card you want to use is broken, it probably is.
-Minor recurring characters conceptualized solely to drive one's own character arc do not require an approved application, but they cannot interact with any characters but your own unless specifically requested by someone else, and cannot possess any importance to the overarching plot of the roleplay itself.

[spoiler=Not-Rules-But-Important-Suggestions]
-It is strongly advised that you agree upon the results of a duel before engaging in it.
-It is also strongly advised that you come up with things to do on your own. The world is huge! There are daily tournaments in multiple different formats and regions, and both Dungeon Dice Monsters and Capsule Monsters are also featured as potential games, and there are even LARP events in the style of the Millennium World arc. (yo dawg i heard you like RP so i put RP in your RP so you can RP while you RP) In the beginning, the large, overarching plot will come secondary to initial characterization, so you absolutely shouldn't rely on it to move your character along.

[spoiler=Game Masters]
-This is a position that can be requested by those who are intimately familiar with the lore of the Virtual World series. They will have a degree of control over the overarching plot, and will be informed on some of the more mysterious aspects of the story that I have yet to reveal. They may also create plot-centric characters without application, but are expected to have an application on-record for their main characters.
-Current GMs:
N/A

[spoiler=Application Format]
Name:
Physical Description: (Spoiler this. May contain both a real life and in-game description if you wish to differentiate the two. An image can be provided in lieu of a physical description, but standard outfits must be included regardless)
Biography: (Optional, but preferred. At the very least, I expect details on what your character has recently done in-game.)
Deck: (If you wish to use custom cards, provide a link to the thread in which they are contained. A small summary of how the deck works is preferred as well)
Other Information:

[spoiler=Characters]
N/A (yet)

My own character profile(s):

[spoiler=Mia]
Name: Mia (Last Name Redacted)
Physical Description:
[spoiler=Physical Description:]
Her outfits vary depending on the situation. Her standard attire is a business suit, black from head to toe. Generally always appears in formal clothing, but also usually doesn't wear skirts or dresses.
Uses a standard KC duel disk.
67b0f4e56393ceaa5366cbbd8f6b8d6c036cf097

Biography: Player who seems to know a lot about the inner workings of the game. Rumored to be one of the rogue players investigating the mysterious deaths.
Deck: Darklords, including the custom support seen here:
http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/243516-support-for-my-second-favorite-archetype-darklords-8/

Archived