[Rule Review and Implementation: Flooding]

Dad

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should the following flooding rule be implemented? "Users may only post 1 topic per hour."

• Yes
    • No
    • Doesn't matter to me, pops.

Reread the other posts and I don't remember who said it, but I'd be perfectly fine with even limiting the number of threads posted in this section to one a day, period. It puts a bit more emphasis on "careful curation" of content, inasmuch as you can't just post whatever blindly comes to mind. I also feel that some people may be intimidated to post in here if others are just flooding content, as they may not want to post if they think their thread will get lost in the deluge (so to speak). If a once-per-day limit was instituted, it would encourage more equal participation across the community - less "I speak whenever I want," more an "I speak, but also listen to others" sort of thing.

And yes, I do agree that political threads should be moved to Debates. Not to poo-poo the community as a whole, but those sorts of threads always seem to devolve rapidly.

Just a reminder guys.  This rule is set to be implemented next week.  There's still plenty of time for discussion and feedback.  The general consensus appears to be positive, but I want to make sure we cover all the bases.

Can we get a restatement of the specific version that will be implemented? There were some suggestions and I didn't follow what ultimately got decided.

The requested change to the original rule that I suggested:

"Users may not post more than one topic per hour."

was to be:

"Users may not post more than one - three topics per day."

I'm iffy about that change.  General activity is somewhat stagnant, to the point that we don't really need a daily limit.  And I strongly believe that a once an hour rule would hold up fine.  That being said, I'm still open to it, and there's plenty of room to argue that point.

ultimately the intent of the rule is to stop the main perpetrator of general flooding (winter) (or so i assume that's the reason people are suggesting this), so general activity is going to stagnate somewhat regardless.

for the record I don't mind whichever version of the rule is decided on. i barely make general threads so this affects literally nothing for me.

The requested change to the original rule that I suggested:

"Users may not post more than one topic per hour."

was to be:

"Users may not post more than one - three topics per day."

I'm iffy about that change.  General activity is somewhat stagnant, to the point that we don't really need a daily limit.  And I strongly believe that a once an hour rule would hold up fine.  That being said, I'm still open to it, and there's plenty of room to argue that point.

I would like to propose / vote for "One politics thread per user per day."

Other stuff is probably fine? Use good judgment.

The irony is I never "flooded" before Wahr came in with his anti-trump flood. And I've stopped since Dad found a good solution for politics. I don't think any rule is needed and the flood was more a 1 time freak event

This is some really wack false equivalency and I don't appreciate you blaming your actions on my general existence. Either way, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and I think the rule is a good idea.

This is some really wack false equivalency and I don't appreciate you blaming your actions on my general existence. Either way, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and I think the rule is a good idea.

Do elaborate? Did you not "flood"?

I have no problem with what you did, but clearly you see a problem in creating activity in a formerly dead section 

Take it to pm. I don't wanna see another word about you two flooding one another.

Fine, then let me ask you this. Ever since you sent me that PM, and made the admin thread, would you say the "flooding" has gotten worse or better

It was a one time problem that you promptly dealt with in a pragmatic way. I see no need for extra regulations when good leadership from the mod team is a effective solution 

Fine, then let me ask you this. Ever since you sent me that PM, and made the admin thread, would you say the "flooding" has gotten worse or better

It was a one time problem that you promptly dealt with in a pragmatic way. I see no need for extra regulations when good leadership from the mod team is a effective solution 

Sorry this took so long.  No, there hasn't been any flooding since then.  However, I feel that acting now instead of waiting for flooding to happen again--I'm from New Orleans bruh, I know how to prepare for flooding--is best.  Besides, one topic an hour is honestly really lenient.

Just a reminder.  As of tomorrow, this proposal will have stood for one week.  If there's no further argumentation, I will take a brief final poll to see if this is something you all actually want or don't want.

Majority will rule.

Archived