Uncanonize Mother Teresa

Halubaris Maphotika

This is mostly a debate topic for Christians, and more specifically, Catholics.

As a Catholic, I have never gone against those who have been canonized under his holiness, but there was one that I have routinely protested and still take issue with, Mother Teresa.

She was a woman who supported Indira Gandhi's elimination of Indian civil liberties in 1975. She ordered the baptizing of the dying without the consent of them and with no regard to their own religion. She supported the dictatorial tyrant Enver Hoxha of Albania, despite his massive human right's violations including forced evictions, excessive use of the death penalty, and elimination of political opposition. She supported the Nobel Prize for Literature being given to Licio Gelli, who was the head of the organization Propaganda Due, a denounced Orthodox Masonic Lodge implicated in numerous cases of murder, treason, and support of Fascism.

She galvanized support through exploitation of the people she cared for. Their quality of life was abysmal and her nurses gave no care for the quality of medical equipment provided for those treated at her Home for the Dying in Calcutta despite the fact she received millions in donations from people. She mishandled her funds, made contacts with disgusting political tyrants, reveled in the suffering of her patients rather than focusing on relieving it.

Her canonization is a bastardization of the practice of Saintly Ascension. It is an affront to God himself whom would never accept such a sociopathic liar and disgusting human being into his fold. I feel it is necessary that the Vatican retract their canonization of her, for she is not deserving of Saint hood.

How do my fellow Christians in YCM feel about this issue?

She supported the Nobel Prize for Literature being given to Licio Gelli, who was the head of the organization Propaganda Due, a denounced Orthodox Masonic Lodge implicated in numerous cases of murder, treason, and support of Fascism.

Just going to say that Fascism is a political system focused around unifying the people under a strong leader with a nationalist rhetoric. It's generally a rejection of globalism. Just because Fascist regimes have caused what people would consider detrimental effects on the world, doesn't mean there can't be a Fascist system that doesn't work. Nothing to do with the topic, mind you.

Just going to say that Fascism is a political system focused around unifying the people under a strong leader with a nationalist rhetoric. It's generally a rejection of globalism. Just because Fascist regimes have caused what people would consider detrimental effects on the world, doesn't mean there can't be a Fascist system that doesn't work. Nothing to do with the topic, mind you.

fas·cism
/ˈfaSHˌizəm/
noun

1. an authoritarian and nationalistic right-wing system of government and social organization.

Anything Authoritarian is an ideology I don't consider good.

I'm not Catholic so I don't believe in canonization.  That being said, while I do believe she meant well, people give her WAY too much credit and too many people place her on a pedestal and make her a standard to aim for.

She did a lot of bad things and too many are ignored.

I had to educate myself on Enver Hoxha, his regime indeed sounds like it was nightmarish and tyrannical. As I understand it though, her support was in the form of laying a bouquet on his grave, and with Hoxha being so blatantly and extremely anti-religious it seems more like a token of forgiveness than an endorsement of his actions during his reign.

Archived