Thought Experiment - Groundhog Day

Tinkerer

I was just thinking about this movie earlier today and I realized something that just didn't add up to me.

The premise of the movie revolves around Bill Murray reliving the same Groundhog day over and over. No matter what happens, whether he goes through the day as normal or cuts it short by committing suicide, he wakes up the same day: memories and all.

The memory thing is what gets me. Obviously, some aspect of himself is in a time loop, but it doesn't specify exactly what. Which is odd because as far as we understand, memory recalling works on firing neurons along specifically structured neural pathways.

...basically, every time he goes back, he is truly warping reality, creating pathways that don't exist.

That might be a bit out there, far-fetched, but it really isn't the only example. A big aspect of the movie is Murray's gradual accumulation of skills such as learning French or how to throw playing cards.

The assumption is that he picked up all these skills while in a time loop and...

...and I'm too tired to continue rn: basically muscle memory in time loop, physique not.

How? Thoughts?

Archived