Georgia has frozen 53K voter registrations

vla1ne

Well what's stopping the other from doing so? Learning the ropes once will let you make the process easily. in fact, the breaker of the story was teaching people just that, when she realized she had made an error, which she can then fix within 30 days. Getting the Photo I.D. right the first time ensures you have everything you need so long as you keep the address updated. Way i see it, this is simply making sure no rigging can happen, in an election where one party has already stated their desire to get their hands on more ballots by any means necessary.

I'm willing to call it dirty politics, I'm not giving strict rulings a pass on the matter, but there is nothing actually stopping people from doing what they need to do. They have a month to get their affairs in order, and they have had multiple months to find time to set aside for voting.

Laziness, busy work schedules, family emergencies, most of all just apathy. Not everyone is super, super invested in politics so making it more inconvenient for them they'll just not do it. There's a reason why like half the country and one outta five young people don't vote, and it's because they're too lazy too. Hell, I live in a liberal state that hasn't had legislation passed that effected me since I was born. If I didn't just get to mail it in easily I probably wouldn't have voted in the midterms either.

This whole "why don't you just do it" is like the essence of victim blaming.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Laziness, busy work schedules, family emergencies, most of all just apathy. Not everyone is super, super invested in politics so making it more inconvenient for them they'll just not do it. There's a reason why like half the country and one outta five young people don't vote, and it's because they're too lazy too. Hell, I live in a liberal state that hasn't had legislation passed that effected me since I was born. If I didn't just get to mail it in easily I probably wouldn't have voted in the midterms either.

This whole "why don't you just do it" is like the essence of victim blaming.

work scedules and family emergencies qualify, laziness and apathy are 100% not valid as excuses. if they aren't invested, then getting it done right the first time does indeed matter even more.  if they're too lazy, then they have no right to complain period. laziness isn't a disability, it's the right of each citizen to vote or not to vote, but somebody being too lazy to vote does not fall onto the shoulders of the state.

It's not "Why don't you just do it?" it's " With all the methods available to you to get it done, and with how much time learning the proper channels will save you down the line, what's stopping you from doing it?" This entire thing is an error that got caught by the state, and the state failed to notify the affected parties which is where they screwed up, but responsibility for fixing the issue, and the issue in the first place, still lies mostly with the people who actually screwed up the voter registrations (aka, the new Georgia project) 

A city solicitor and Stacey Abrams supporter in Georgia is offering to reduce fines for defendants in court if they register to vote.

I can't quite call that a bad thing, i mean, it gets people into politics, but... well... ugh. i don't like it.

Given that today a ring of democrats in Texas got busted stealing ballots from elderly people likely to vote republican. And in the thousands at that, I'm just about ready to tell the democrat to stuff it here

Half truth. These are charges from 2016 against three or four women for forging the votes of seven elderly persons, including forged signatures among other felonies.

Unless we're not talking about Fort Worth, which would need to be Its owntopic anyway.

Given that today a ring of democrats in Texas got busted stealing ballots from elderly people likely to vote republican. And in the thousands at that, I'm just about ready to tell the democrat to stuff it here

Aren't you literally against whataboutism and called me out for it yet you're literally indulging in it right now? But whatever prop up the thread homie

Just following the standards you set. Your side is actually cheating so my side wants to be careful. If these voters are clean they'll be approved

Can't go for a holier than tho approach if you're doing the same thing.

I've explained 4 times about why you saying that clean voters stuff isn't valid but if you're so blinded by partisan views I'll move onto your next point. Make a thread about what the Democrats have done with your source attached and I'll review it.

Can't go for a holier than tho approach if you're doing the same thing.

I've explained 4 times about why you saying that clean voters stuff isn't valid but if you're so blinded by partisan views I'll move onto your next point. Make a thread about what the Democrats have done with your source attached and I'll review it.

I'm not holier than thou. I wish you'd be honest tho. I'm willing to admit that my side is being careful with these registrations because your side has perfected ways to fraud them. Now you could admit that Ca and other left states are willing to win even by cheating, but you wont

Known as “harvesters,” these women were part of a group that has been filling out ballots in the hundreds or even the thousands. While four women have been indicted on sixteen counts thus far, the AG is saying that there are more people involved and a lot more incidents. These are just the ones they feel confident they can get convictions on for the time being.

I'm not holier than thou. I wish you'd be honest tho. I'm willing to admit that my side is being careful with these registrations because your side has perfected ways to fraud them. Now you could admit that Ca and other left states are willing to win even by cheating, but you wont

Known as “harvesters,” these women were part of a group that has been filling out ballots in the hundreds or even the thousands. While four women have been indicted on sixteen counts thus far, the AG is saying that there are more people involved and a lot more incidents. These are just the ones they feel confident they can get convictions on for the time being.

how is blocking 53,000 people 70% of them african american being careful with regulations. since when have african americans been at risk of being undocumented if that was the plan of his running opponent.

at the very least you could make this argument if you were talking suspected illegals or anything of the sort? this is literally just voter suppression for no reason other then to better the cause.

i've already stated five times why the california thing isn't "cheating" and if it is, it's a frankly awful attempt at it when just freezing people is an option. unless the democrats are both scheming geniuses who have managed to push this past all sorts of voters AND hilariously ineffective then i dont see what the development is.

like what's more likely.

"ok we're gonna rig these votes in our favor, by randomly changing people's mail order preferences, preferred parties and language options. a good deal of which dont change the paper you're mailed at all besides the language bit, and even then you can schedule a reorder or just go to a polling booth since it's literally a month away. and THEN we're going to email everyone who was effected by these changes before anything is mailed out, giving them the ability to change these things before we even mail out the voting slips. not only that but this is only going to effect NEW VOTERS in CALIFORNIA a well known swing state."

or

"we implemented a new piece of tech to register to vote, theres a bug and we funked up and are trying to fix it."

like what do you think the democratic party is, cartoon villains?

EDIT: id just like to also point out that i've been listing policies that your political candidates have actively done and that has been endorsed by the politicians there.

your examples have been: something that's easily explainable by being a software bug that the democratic party has actively attempted to remedy and a completely rogue voter fraud thing that wasn't administered by a politician that took place in a red state.

basically, my example is a fact and yours are "hunches" that something sinister is going on with the democratic party itself. and im clearly illogical for not having the same hunch that you do.

truly living up to the conservative stereotype of feels before reals here melky.

how is blocking 53,000 people 70% of them african american being careful with regulations. since when have african americans been at risk of being undocumented if that was the plan of his running opponent.

at the very least you could make this argument if you were talking suspected illegals or anything of the sort? this is literally just voter suppression for no reason other then to better the cause.

i've already stated five times why the california thing isn't "cheating" and if it is, it's a frankly awful attempt at it when just freezing people is an option. unless the democrats are both scheming geniuses who have managed to push this past all sorts of voters AND hilariously ineffective then i dont see what the development is.

like what's more likely.

"ok we're gonna rig these votes in our favor, by randomly changing people's mail order preferences, preferred parties and language options. a good deal of which dont change the paper you're mailed at all besides the language bit, and even then you can schedule a reorder or just go to a polling booth since it's literally a month away. and THEN we're going to email everyone who was effected by these changes before anything is mailed out, giving them the ability to change these things before we even mail out the voting slips. not only that but this is only going to effect NEW VOTERS in CALIFORNIA a well known swing state."

or

"we implemented a new piece of tech to register to vote, theres a bug and we funked up and are trying to fix it."

like what do you think the democratic party is, cartoon villains?

EDIT: id just like to also point out that i've been listing policies that your political candidates have actively done and that has been endorsed by the politicians there.

your examples have been: something that's easily explainable by being a software bug that the democratic party has actively attempted to remedy and a completely rogue voter fraud thing that wasn't administered by a politician that took place in a red state.

basically, my example is a fact and yours are "hunches" that something sinister is going on with the democratic party itself. and im clearly illogical for not having the same hunch that you do.

truly living up to the conservative stereotype of feels before reals here melky.

They aren't being frozen because they're black. they're being frozen because thier papers were filed incorrectly. (through no fault of their own.) the rules say file the paperwork properly or you will get your account frozen. That's exactly what happened. Remember to grant the benefit of the doubt.

It's not voter suppression. To call it voter suppression is to say that racism prevents people from filing their votes correctly. if you want to call out an error, call out them not alerting the people affected once discovered. 

If California isn't cheating. Then this isn't either. This was brought about by catching errors. California was brought about by letting them slide. they aren't that close.

Can they all still vote in georgia? Yes. Then the issue has at least as much time to be resolved as you claim the California case does, and less danger of people voting who shouldn't be.

They aren't being frozen because they're black. they're being frozen because thier papers were filed incorrectly. (through no fault of their own.) the rules say file the paperwork properly or you will get your account frozen. That's exactly what happened. Remember to grant the benefit of the doubt.

It's not voter suppression. To call it voter suppression is to say that racism prevents people from filing their votes correctly. if you want to call out an error, call out them not alerting the people affected once discovered. 

If California isn't cheating. Then this isn't either. This was brought about by catching errors. California was brought about by letting them slide. they aren't that close.

Can they all still vote in georgia? Yes. Then the issue has at least as much time to be resolved as you claim the California case does, and less danger of people voting who shouldn't be.

His campaign spokesman Ryan Mahoney said in a statement that because of Kemp, “it has never been easier to vote in our state” and pointed to a new online voter registration system and a student engagement program implemented under his tenure.

“Kemp is fighting to protect the integrity of our elections and ensure that only legal citizens cast a ballot,” Mahoney said.

if it was a "innocent mistake" why is his campaign manager saying this sheet? i didn't see anyone in the democrat's field calling it anything but a mistake yet here it's "protecting the integrity of their elections" by someone on the Republican's payroll?

Does this not prove it was intentional? Or is he lying? 

you really don't see the dozens of reports attempting to call him a racist or a bigot, or saying he's trying to supress the votes, or all manner of other things? i can link you if you can't find them, they're a dime a dozen.

to use an unrelated example to point out a similar point, you saying "Does this not prove it was intentional? " to him trying to clarify the accident, would be like me saying that because california said no illegal immigrants were affected, they were covering something up. both, to the best of our knowledge, are honest mistakes. the end results we can contest, but to call them intentional, is to say that people actually targeted outside of a specific, legal reason. he has pointed to the largest source of the problem, a registry organization group, and stated up front, they they have been filing their papers incorrectly. at this point, it does indeed count as an honest mistake, so long as the papers match the story, (and seeing as i've yet to see a single liberal story actually use said papers to back their claims of him being racist) i will assume they do. the number is large, and the mistake needs to be fixed, but none of that is actual evidence of attempted voter suppression. 

you really don't see the dozens of reports attempting to call him a racist or a bigot, or saying he's trying to supress the votes, or all manner of other things? i can link you if you can't find them, they're a dime a dozen.

to use an unrelated example to point out a similar point, you saying "Does this not prove it was intentional? " to him trying to clarify the accident, would be like me saying that because california said no illegal immigrants were affected, they were covering something up. both, to the best of our knowledge, are honest mistakes. the end results we can contest, but to call them intentional, is to say that people actually targeted outside of a specific, legal reason. he has pointed to the largest source of the problem, a registry organization group, and stated up front, they they have been filing their papers incorrectly. at this point, it does indeed count as an honest mistake, so long as the papers match the story, (and seeing as i've yet to see a single liberal story actually use said papers to back their claims of him being racist) i will assume they do. the number is large, and the mistake needs to be fixed, but none of that is actual evidence of attempted voter suppression. 

When did we mention the reports of him being racist? I really don't care about that.

I'm talking about the democratic reports regarding the California incident with voters, nobody was trying to say "hey we're actually just making sure every voters legal" as a reaction to people getting their info messed with. No, they apologized and said they're trying to fixed this.

The claim by the Californian regarding illegal immigrants isn't comparible at all, that is giving more information about the case. Kemp's campaign representative literally said that this was a result of "Kemp fighting to protect to integrity of our ballot and making sure only legal citizens cast a ballot."

That language implies one of two things. Either him and his campaign are lying to cover an organization that he has no business covering for or that this was a legitimate attempt to suppress people of color. 

When did we mention the reports of him being racist? I really don't care about that.

I'm talking about the democratic reports regarding the California incident with voters, nobody was trying to say "hey we're actually just making sure every voters legal" as a reaction to people getting their info messed with. No, they apologized and said they're trying to fixed this.

The claim by the Californian regarding illegal immigrants isn't comparible at all, that is giving more information about the case. Kemp's campaign representative literally said that this was a result of "Kemp fighting to protect to integrity of our ballot and making sure only legal citizens cast a ballot."

That language implies one of two things. Either him and his campaign are lying to cover an organization that he has no business covering for or that this was a legitimate attempt to suppress people of color. 

" i didn't see anyone in the democrat's field calling it anything but a mistake" that was the statement i addressed, the racism argument was a side statement used. you may not care, but it's a rather large flaw in your argument, as it shows that quite a few people hate attempted to pain sinister intent over what i a legitimate action (much like the statement "if it was a "innocent mistake" why is his campaign manager saying this sheet?" attempts to do on the low.)

Indeed, it's a proper response, ignore the implications and cover up the mistake before any deeper digging can be done. It's not like simply switching parties has never allowed Canadians the right to vote or anything before. 

You do realize that protecting the integrity of the vote is exactly what stringent requirements and catching mistaken registrations falls under right? Letting them slip would be the opposite of that. So yeah, protecting the integrity of the vote, especially when so many members the democratic party as of late has been touting that winning by any means necessary is their only goal, makes perfect sense. Compare and contrast is a legit example and is exactly what i'm doing here. One side lets mistakes slide to the extent that foreign citizens have to call it out, the other catches mistakes and freezes them on sight, to the point that people who keep up to date on their registries notice they've made errors and correct them. Which is more likely to damage the integrity of the vote? I'd say the first example is. Neither is the best option, and i'd definitely hope for some middle ground, but they both mirror each other. You saying they aren't comparable is the same as saying night and day are not comparable. Mirror opposites are comparable by nature. They show the exact opposite ends of the spectrum. I've shown as much repeatedly in my comparisons.

I've addressed this multiple times in multiple statements prior. Please keep up.

Your whole argument involves you comparing a provable lie with a clarifying statement, if it was the integrity of the vote that was important regarding this sort of this why is comparable. This is the worst "both sides" bullshit I've seen from you v1aine. You stated yourself it was a processing error and NOT the result of one pushing more voting laws that got rid of fraudulent ones. So why would he defend it as if it were an intentional movement? Meanwhile you have NO proof that this incident has any illegal immigrants and the state is lying, you're just going off of a hunch from a previous case. You also stated yourself that they were "filed improperly with no fault of their own". That's far different then "allowing things to slide" in that you don't have a voting habit history to go by so everyone you allow with loose voting laws is a gamble. Meanwhile when you actively cut away already established voters who you know what they registered as and even who they voted for in the past that is a far more accurate way to suppress opposition

So, what's your answer to him disqualifying 340,000 voters for "mistaking" them for having moved v1aine? If that doesn't prove Kemp's attempts to rig the election above anything else I'm not sure what will.

Additionally the voter fraud rates are hilariously low, peep the study I linked. One Canadian a conspiracy does not make, meanwhile an all together 53,000 to 340,000 registered voters being blocked one way or another. That's something.

Also because I forgot to say this, I don't know if Kemp is a racist and frankly I don't care, I think racism is a garbage argument regarding this so you cannot utilize this in an argument with me as an individual. As I will not strawman you via using publishers on your side calling the democratic party a bunch of oversensitive terrorist loving crooks and utilize that to play the victim card. I hope that you will not use news posts that I literally have not cited or endorsed in an argument against me specifically.

Your whole argument involves you comparing a provable lie with a clarifying statement, if it was the integrity of the vote that was important regarding this sort of this why is comparable. This is the worst "both sides" bullshit I've seen from you v1aine. You stated yourself it was a processing error and NOT the result of one pushing more voting laws that got rid of fraudulent ones. So why would he defend it as if it were an intentional movement? Meanwhile you have NO proof that this incident has any illegal immigrants and the state is lying, you're just going off of a hunch from a previous case. You also stated yourself that they were "filed improperly with no fault of their own". That's far different then "allowing things to slide" in that you don't have a voting habit history to go by so everyone you allow with loose voting laws is a gamble. Meanwhile when you actively cut away already established voters who you know what they registered as and even who they voted for in the past that is a far more accurate way to suppress opposition

So, what's your answer to him disqualifying 340,000 voters for "mistaking" them for having moved v1aine? If that doesn't prove Kemp's attempts to rig the election above anything else I'm not sure what will.

Additionally the voter fraud rates are hilariously low, peep the study I linked. One Canadian a conspiracy does not make, meanwhile an all together 53,000 to 340,000 registered voters being blocked one way or another. That's something.

Also because I forgot to say this, I don't know if Kemp is a racist and frankly I don't care, I think racism is a garbage argument regarding this so you cannot utilize this in an argument with me as an individual. As I will not strawman you via using publishers on your side calling the democratic party a bunch of oversensitive terrorist loving crooks and utilize that to play the victim card. I hope that you will not use news posts that I literally have not cited or endorsed in an argument against me specifically.

Yeeeah... No. he stated his intention in defense of people calling his all manner of things for the voter freeze, had you followed the issue, you'd see that people have been calling him all manner of things, claiming it was intentional, and railing against him, all because of this one incident. As such, his defense is 100% warranted. Claiming "he's defending himself, so he's guilty" when he's being attacked, is nowhere near a fair response, and you know it. There's a reason i gave all those examples and comparisons. They all factor into the discussion.

The issue has no illegal immigrants, you are correct, but illegal immigrants are not the only threat to the voting system. Voter fraud (intentional or not) is yet another problem that falls under the "integrity of the vote" statement. The voters didn't mess up, the organization did, but that doesn't mean the freezes weren't justified. 4 people alone can fake up to 1K+ votes, why exactly wouldn't you stop an organization with far more resources, who's already known to be filing sloppy records? Nipping the problem in the bud is a legit response to sloppy registration filing. As far as checking the histories, their voting history is irrelevant. You know you can fake votes on both sides right? Other people might change parties from year to year as well. past records do not guarantee similar outcome, and by the time voting night comes (which they're still allowed to vote for, their ballots are just under surveillance for the time being) it'll be too late to address the problems if you didn't isolate them beforehand (aka freeze them).

it's called false locations/duplicate voting. it's one of many ways you can fake votes in, and you've been to winter's thread on the people attempting to fake votes by the thousands, so you know why those little errors can add up quickly into a massive freeze. It's not rigging votes when your policy  catches legitimate mistakes. (Again, the Georgia foundation is at fault on that one) 

They're low because they get caught by people who are on their game. Kemp's trying to stay on his game, but he made the wrong calls. It has a low success rate, but how many attempts are made, and passed off as honest mistakes? Or actually are honest mistakes that lead to voter fraud? Like the time in that one county i cited back during the trump election (it's in the thread back there somewhere, and has witnesses, i really don't feel like digging for it) where people literally recorded evidence of machines "malfunctioning" only when you chose republican candidates. Or looking at Bernie Sanders, would you say that his loss doesn't count as fraud? When it was revealed that he actually should have won? It doesn't have to be rampant, it just has to matter one or two times to do irreparable damage. Please don't play the low numbers game, when one of the applicable numbers literally shifted the entire tone of an election.

It's one of the angles used to claim that he was freezing votes on purpose. All because more blacks got frozen than whites. It's not your argument, wasn't trying to make it such, but i quoted your very words repeatedly, and clarified this multiple times. You said you saw no reports of democrats calling the voter freeze intentional. I said i can link you to a dime a dozen sources that claim it is, and that he's this or that kind of "ist" because of it.

Voter history is irrelevant? Seriously? You're telling me that if 53,000 registered Republicans that've all voted Republican in the past all go their votes frozen you wouldn't consider it a tactic against the Republican base? You're being extremely disingenuous here.

Are all the votes frozen from democrats? Or are they across the board? That's what i mean. I do admit i worded the statement somewhat poorly, but the fact remains that the freeze in non-partisan. If it's 80-100% democrats with no outside factors, then i'd say there'd be a problem there, but the issue isn't voter history at the moment, because that's not the case. The problem is that the people in question have errors on their registry (many through the fault of the aforementioned organization). Yes, there's an issue, but their alignment isn't it.

Archived