Contrast HERO...???

Kailyn Leona Kyosuke

Hey Friends!  Kailyn popping in and out just cause.

Got an itch to make cards so here I am.  I also got really into toku as of this year so I figure it shows.

I was originally gonna just make Extra Deck monsters of these Riders, but then realized that Contrast HERO Chaos is basically just W (Fang / Joker) and it gets it's own sub-archetype.  Thus, I felt that it was justifiable to give my favorite rider series the sub-archetype in name as it's own fleshed out build.

Most of these are made with other pre-existing HERO cards in mind, and assumes the power scale of modern day cards in mind.  Tried hard to make the effects reflective of events in the show or attributed to the forms / abilities seen.

Let me know what y'all think?

Contrast HERO Plucky WindContrast FusionContrast HERO Soaring LeftContrast HERO Radiant RightContrast HERO Burning SteelContrast HERO Shining Desperado

Masked HERO ShippuMasked HERO Kirifuda

Contrast HERO Xtreme DreamContrast HERO Gold Xtreme Dream

Contrast HERO BossHard-Boiled HERONobody's PerfectMasked HERO SkullContrast HERO Shining DragonMasked HERO AxelMasked HERO Axel BoostMasked HERO Axel TryContrast HERO - Swift Axel XTREMEI didn't hear anything about this!Evil HERO - NEVEREvil HERO - ForeverEnjoy your HELLMemory ChangeMAXIMUM Drive781242562_FuutoTower.jpg.e42202f41828392e2f1c66a57db8c7e8.jpg

Contrast Change - Silver SkyContrast Change - Speeding BulletContrast Change - Hot-Blooded GutsContrast Change - Explosive MagnumContrast Change - Hard GleamContrast Change - Bright BoonContrast Change - Chaos StriderContrast Change - Edged TalonContrast Change - Tusk Bolt645566881_ContrastChange-FinalIllusion.jpg.b711f431ad418e9c46def0343d018b22.jpgContrast Change - Prism Breaker476697787_ElementaryMyDear.jpg.a44130dd29136fbde50fe6e7099de653.jpgContrast Rider MachineContrast Memory W.B.X.934903355_CaseClosed.jpg.8552e74b6630318618fcc73b44413904.jpgXtra HERO - Vagrant X [Onore, Decade!]
Note:  Decade (Xtra HERO - Vagrant X) is really just here as the "Crossover" HERO, much like Wonder Driver.  He was also featured in W's origin movie, as the other half of the "Double" feature.  It's partially a joke, but also kind of a legit design.

Bump'd, added new cards.  Can't figure out how to spoiler tag since spoiler tags broke.

Didn't wanna clog and make a repeat thread seeing how infrequent these threads tend to survive, so uhh...

Necrobump technically.  I guess.

Can make another thread but kinda seems like a waste?

Anyway.  Hoping someone catches notice.  :3

Damn, that's a lot of creative output—with the sheer volume of cards, how long did it take you to make all this, curiously? This archetype seems like it would be a lot of fun to play with; I'd choose this over the other HEROs, even though I don't know anything 'bout this anime. What is the theme that differentiates this from the other HEROs?

Tbh I did a chunk of this last year, left it and forgot about it.  Then I got the urge to do it again so I basically made double the amount from before.

The seried this set is based off of is the Tokusatsu series Kamen Rider W.  So its not actually an anime, which made finding card art even harder while avoiding using photos from the tv show.

The themes behind this set are very closely tied to the thematics of the source material, but in essence it boils down to detective work, understanding what cards your opponent hss (by way of revealing and checking) and changing out to whatever combinations you need to have to win.  The set assumes youd run regular HERO cards and support alongisde it, but I tried to provide enough that you don't *need* to.

The main hero is Contrast HERO Plucky Wind, my localized name for Kamen Rider W - Cyclone Joker.  They are two people who transform together to become a single detective, a single Kamen Rider.  In this sense they're not too different from Yugi / Atem, Judai / Yubel, Yuma / Astral, Yuya / Yuto, or Yusaku / Ai.  

Boss is the mentor to both characters in source material, though primarily of Soaring Left.  He unfortunately does not survive the origin story and most of his characterization is told through flashbacks, but even so his actions and words have great impact on the heroes in the modern day.

Shining Dragon is a hero who is fueled by his burning rage and desire for vengeance.  As a result his cards are designrd to mimic this, destructive, wrathful force.  Eventually he changes his attack patterns as he begins to learn that revenge isn't everything, which is why Boost and Try have such vastly different effects.

Contrast Change cards are designed to mimic both Sky Striker and Mask Change card styles.  While I felt it was a bit much to make a seperate monster for each one of W's variations, I figured making them like signature moves that have bonuses for having the correct monster out would be sufficient if I kept the monster cards to the most iconic forms.

The random Evil Hero cards are actually the movie villain, Kamen Rider Eternal.  He is an undead commando with enhanced physical capabilities on top of not being killed by conventional means.  His primary theme he is known for and associated with is negating the heroes ability to transform.  The IRL card Contrast HERO Chaos actually mimics this effect instead of the form its supposed to be based on, which is more offensive.  In any case, NEVER and Forever are designed with the idea of running them with Evil HEROes and their existing support instead, though you could easily splash it in if you felt like it.

Similar to masked heroes, there is a lot of swapping of form changes - however this deck plays a bit with trying to sleuth out the opponent's cards, either by revealing them, or letting you guess at them on the weaker cards - and rewarding proper detective work.  Make sure to remember you have your partner at your back as you take on any foe, any case no matter how tough.

(At least, that's how I'd advertise it)

One thing I notice is just how much advantage one gets in playing Soaring Left > Plucky Wind. It's what I like to call, in the world of Emoji deck-building, a Double Cherry (🍒🍒) : it gives you a strong +2 (you always want to draw your Change cards) that gets off with some protection. And also you're bringing out a monster that is going to deal around +7000 battle damage that turn, just from Summoning Soaring Left. I have not seen a card yet in Yu-Gi-Oh that is relatively easy to bring out, and grants you a +2 from the Deck. (One card combo). That's way too strong IMO.

Also consider the fact that Change works as protection for your Plucky Wind, you're getting a +2 with two forms of decent protection... Just how strong this guy would be is probably something to find out in a practice duel.

That said, I like how the ingredient effect (Radiant Right) gives you the option to see the hand.

21 minutes ago, AlienPrinceOTK said:

One thing I notice is just how much advantage one gets in playing Soaring Left > Plucky Wind. It's what I like to call, in the world of Emoji deck-building, a Double Cherry (🍒🍒😞 it gives you a strong +2 (you always want to draw your Change cards) that gets off with some protection. And you're bringing out a monster that is going to deal around +7000 battle damage that turn, just from Normal Summoning Soaring Left, to go with the +2. I have not seen any card yet in Yu-Gi-Oh that is relatively easy to bring out, and grants you a +2 from the Deck. That's way too strong IMO.

Also consider the fact that Change works as protection for your Plucky Wind, you're getting an elusive +2 with two forms of decent protection... Just how strong this is would be something to find out in a practice duel.

That said, I like how the ingredient effect (Radiant Right) gives you the option to see the hand.

I thought it'd be a +1 cause you -1 to play Soaring Left, then +2 by the combined effects of Radiant Right and Plucky Wind.

A big part of the thought process is assuming your opponent will very likely be countering your attacks or effects, battle reliant effects are generally considered unreliable in any yugioh era past Master Rule 3.  I can definitely retweak it, but I also definitely think of sets like Raid Raptor, The Phantom Knights, D/D/D, and Salamangreat when it comes to card advantage and recursion.

How would you suggest changing it?  The primary theme here is that Left and Right are the partners, so one will fetch the other at least.

I see. I think Soaring Left's ability to Special Summon Radiant Right from the Deck, upon being Summoned is what makes it too strong IMO. Plucky Wind and Radiant Right are fine, but it's Soaring Left that's creating the strong, one card +2 combo. I would consider nerfing that effect some-way. 🙂

Also his second effect; did you mean "This card's Synchro Summon cannot be negated" OR "When Synchro Summoned, cards and effects cannot be activated." (That's from Star Eater.)

It's a +2 in my eyes, because you're getting a +1 from the Deck getting out Radiant Right, then when Plucky Wind is Summoned (-1), you're getting a Change card and +1 from RR's effect.

4 minutes ago, AlienPrinceOTK said:

I see. I think Soaring Left's ability to Special Summon Radiant Right from the Deck, upon being Summoned is what makes it too strong IMO. Plucky Wind and Radiant Right are fine, but it's Soaring Left that's creating the strong, one card +2 combo. I would consider nerfing that effect someway. 🙂

Also his second effect; did you mean "This card's Synchro Summon cannot be negated" OR "When Synchro Summoned, cards and effects cannot be activated." (That's from Star Eater.)

I suppose it does make it quite similar to an already broken Cystron Needlefiber (which is more broken because it's a generic tuner).  Maybe if I add a discard cost to summon Radiant Right?

Also the second effect is meant to be the latter effect you listed, similar to Star Eater.  You're supposed to be able to negate the summoning from occurring but once it's a successful summon you can't reply to it with stuff like Bottomless Trap Hole, Lost Wind, etc.  Thematically a transformation cannot be interrupted once it actually starts but you can prevent the transformation from starting to begin with, is what I was going for.

1 minute ago, Kailyn Leona Kyosuke said:

I suppose it does make it quite similar to an already broken Cystron Needlefiber (which is more broken because it's a generic tuner).  Maybe if I add a discard cost to summon Radiant Right?

Also the second effect is meant to be the latter effect you listed, similar to Star Eater.  You're supposed to be able to negate the summoning from occurring but once it's a successful summon you can't reply to it with stuff like Bottomless Trap Hole, Lost Wind, etc.  Thematically a transformation cannot be interrupted once it actually starts but you can prevent the transformation from starting to begin with, is what I was going for.

I like that protection effect.

For the cost, it could be a discard, shuffle 1, shuffle 1 particular revealed card; it didn't have a cost before, so the cost could be anything, but I would say it remains a -1, OR be quite a debilitating effect, OR be very situational. In any case, the cost shouldn't contribute in any way to a +1.

(Sorry for being pedantic)

1 minute ago, AlienPrinceOTK said:

I like that protection effect.

For the cost, it could be a discard, shuffle 1, shuffle 1 particular revealed card; it didn't have a cost before, so the cost could be anything, but I would say it remains a -1, OR be quite a debilitating effect, OR be very situational. In any case, the cost shouldn't contribute in any way to a +1.

(Sorry for being pedantic)

No worries.  TBH I'm more grateful someone's taking a moment to actually look at these cards.

But I think yeah I'll probably revise it to be a discard 1 to summon.

Contrast HERO XTREME Prism can be Special Summoned from the GY? Then it's Special Summon cannot be responded to, going by its effect.

Burning Steel's last effect needs to not include itself for regeneration. Also, is it your intention for both Fusion Summons: Burning Steel and Shining Desperado, to endlessly regenerate into the other when they leave the field? Mind you, "leaves the field" is the strongest regen/floating/whatever-you-call-it effect to my knowledge, so it's much easier to take advantage of.

Umm...

Fuuto Tower has a really interesting third ability: to Synchro Summon Plucky Wind when you Summon something other from your Extra Deck; acting like a sidekick. He also can return from the grave.

This Field spell is a +3 with its first effect (if Contrast HERO Soaring Left has its original effect). This card being on the field is a worthy +1 on top of the +2, and Ash Blossom isn't going to hurt you. It makes Soaring Left more 'broken'.

Second effect is neat, I like it.

I like the third ability too, though it's a free Synchro Summon, which also is going to give you a Change card AND another 🍒🍒 (Sending Shadowmist and Radiant Right to GY). Needs to be nerfed.

What if Contrast HERO Radiant Right gives you the 🍒 upon leaving the field for its Synchro Summon. That would help mitigate the 'brokenness' of the Field spell's third effect...

Scenario: You activate Field Spell, 🍒, Special Summon Soaring Left, (🍒 originally), Spend a Fusion card to Fusion Summon Elemental HERO Sunrise, 🍒, then Plucky Wind is Synchro Summoned for free, 🍒, Plucky Wind's effect activates, 🍒, (then using Radiant Right's original effect: 🍒), and if you sent Shadowmist to GY, 🍒. So for the price of two cards: "Polymerization" and "Fuuto Tower", this is what you've got with the original effects.

Field: Fuuto Tower, Elemental HERO Sunrise, Contrast HERO Plucky Wind (both Level 8 HEROS, which is niche. EDIT: No, my bad, Sunrise is Level 7 😆)

Hand: Miracle Fusion, Mask Change, E-HERO monster, FOUR other cards in hand.

And you're yet to Normal Summon this turn.

*Btw, this is your first turn

(All this analysis, whew 😛)

35 minutes ago, AlienPrinceOTK said:

Contrast HERO XTREME Prism can be Special Summoned from the GY? Then it's Special Summon cannot be responded to, going by its effect.

Burning Steel's last effect needs to not include itself for regeneration. Also, is it your intention for both Fusion Summons: Burning Steel and Shining Desperado, to endlessly regenerate into the other when they leave the field? Mind you, "leaves the field" is the strongest regen/floating/whatever-you-call-it effect to my knowledge, so it's much easier to take advantage of.

Umm...

Fuuto Tower has a really interesting third ability: to Synchro Summon Plucky Wind when you Summon something other from your Extra Deck; acting like a sidekick. He also can return from the grave.

This Field spell is a +3 with its first effect (if Contrast HERO Soaring Left has its original effect). This card being on the field is a worthy +1 on top of the +2, and Ash Blossom isn't going to hurt you. It makes Soaring Left more 'broken'.

Second effect is neat, I like it.

I like the third ability too, though it's a free Synchro Summon, which also is going to give you a Change card AND another 🍒🍒 (Sending Shadowmist and Radiant Right to GY). Needs to be nerfed.

What if Contrast HERO Radiant Right gives you the 🍒 upon leaving the field for its Synchro Summon. That would help mitigate the 'brokenness' of the Field spell's third effect...

Scenario: You activate Field Spell, 🍒, Special Summon Soaring Left, (🍒 originally), Spend a Fusion card to Fusion Summon Elemental HERO Sunrise, 🍒, then Plucky Wind is Synchro Summoned for free, 🍒, Plucky Wind's effect activates, 🍒, (then using Radiant Right's original effect: 🍒), and if you sent Shadowmist to GY, 🍒. So for the price of two cards: a standard Fusion Spell and Fuuto Tower, this is what you've got with the original effects.

Field: Fuuto Tower, Elemental HERO Sunrise, Contrast HERO Plucky Wind (both Level 8 HEROS, which is niche. EDIT: No, my bad, Sunrise is Level 7 😆)

Hand: Miracle Fusion, Mask Change, E-HERO monster, FOUR other cards in hand.

And you're yet to Normal Summon this turn.

(All this analysis, whew 😛)

I can adjust XTREME Prism to be an "Except by" instead of "Only", but I'd like it to be summonable more than once per game. 

Burning Steel wasn't meant to, that was bad oversight on my part.  It's intentional that when Plucky Wind's alternative forms go down they replace themselves with a different form, unless the one that died was Plucky Wind himself.  I may adjust that to be a "sent to the GY" clause but since it's "When" and not "If" it can miss timing.  Alternatively I could make the regeneration a hard once per turn effect, that might fix that.

Fuuto Tower has been designed with Revolving Switchyard in mind.  In that regard what I might do is change it to a "Add 1 "Contrast HERO" card from your deck to your hand, then return 1 "Contrast HERO" card from your hand to your deck."

Effect 2 is Quick Effect version of Fake Hero.

Effect 3 is meant to guarantee you get the protagonist hero out on the off chance you somehow failed to manage it with everything else you have going on.  Plucky Wind (Kamen Rider W) is the title character of the series and should be present as frequently and annoyingly as possible (not unlike Dark Magician, Red-Eyes, Blue-Eyes, etc).

Maybe I could make it work if I were to combine effects 1 and 2 into a single effect, then make it a one or the other hard once per turn?

Advisement for Radiant Right noted.  I'll make those adjustments and get back to you.

Even if you were to add a 'one effect, once per turn' clause, the third effect is still too strong on its own.

Since Shadow Mist exists, you can't have the Tuners creating card advantage upon being sent. Otherwise, it's a free +4. (E-Hero, Mask Change, Plucky Wind, and a draw.) Obviously this needs to be restricted, and it's the reason for changing Radiant Right.

let me know how it goes.

21 minutes ago, AlienPrinceOTK said:

Even if you were to add a 'one effect, once per turn' clause, the third effect is still too strong on its own.

Since Shadow Mist exists, you can't have the Tuners creating card advantage upon being sent. Otherwise, it's a free +4. (E-Hero, Mask Change, Plucky Wind, and a draw.) Obviously this needs to be restricted, and it's the reason for changing Radiant Right.

An easy rule to have for the third effect is simply: don't allow more than one GY effect to happen, from Plucky Wind's Synchro Summon.

let me know how it goes.

Well, you commented just in time to catch my latest rework on pretty much everything. 

Removed Cards

1. XTREME Prism

New Cards

1. Xtreme Dream
  2. Gold Xtreme Dream
  3. Contrast Memory W.B.X.

Minor adjustments (Artwork, OCG, Rarities)

1. Contrast Change - Hard Gleam

Changed Cards (Rework)

1. Soaring Left
  2. Radiant Right
  3. Plucky Wind
  4. Burning Steel
  5. Shining Desperado
  6. Fuuto Tower
  7. Nobody's Perfect
  8. Case Closed
  9. Contrast Change - Explosive Magnum

Archived