[Typed] Double Down Dragon (The edge of Casual Writing?)

HQCardmaker

Level 1

Dragon/Effect

You can place this card in the Red Pendulum Zone to set the Red Pendulum Scale to any number from 0 to 4.  If not, use effect (1).

(1) While this card is affected by a Field Spell based on its Type: Double that normal affection, and change the Original Attack to double its prior Original Attack if the affection is an addition to the ATK.

ATK/1000 DEF/1000

Basically, whatever the powerboost you get from a Field Spell for this card if the Field Spell affects Dragon-Types or whatever type it is, you get double and if it is additional, the Original Attack normally goes to 2000.

If this is too advanced, I'll move it to the advanced cards section.

Nope, not an advanced card, it's rather casual. If anything it can be considered experimental due to the Scale self-conversion effect.
The game actually doesn't distinguish between red and blue scales, they are just visual cues printed in the cards, and there is no such thing as a Red pendulum Zone. You can write it is as "Rightmost Spell/Trap Zone" though.
Card text needs some work but atm I'm not sure on how to write it. I can come up with a fix later.
That aside, it's an okay card, IMO. The ATK boosting effect is situational so IMO its main selling point is its capability of becoming a scale from the field as a monster. I find odd you didn't make it an actual Pendulum Monster when it would be more convenient mechanic and text-wise. Any reason for that?

@Darj

https://yugipedia.com/wiki/Opti-Camouflage_Armor: exists

https://yugipedia.com/wiki/Royal_Magical_Library: I forgot that this exists

You have a point.  At worst I could type something like:

This card is not treated as an activated Pendulum Spell.  Pick a Pendulum Scale of any number from 0 to 4.

Or just that last sentence by itself or

This card is still treated as a Pendulum Monster.  Pick a Pendulum Scale of any number from 0 to 4.

Or maybe.

This card is not treated as an activated Pendulum Spell.  This card is still treated as a Pendulum Monster.  Negate the Monster Effect (1) of this card while this is where Pendulum Spells normally go by non-effect mechanics.  Pick a Pendulum Scale of any number from 0 to 4 while this is where the rightmost of Pendulum Spells go on your side of the field.

If I really wanted to make this work.

Does placing a card somewhere imply it gets the properties of whatever goes there by non-effect mechanics or does the effect have to say to treat a card a certain way before that happens?  What is the ruling?

It does look neater though.

Tell you what, you do what you want with the card and we can share the credit.

If you are that worried about placing the monster in a Pendulum Zone as an activated Spell, it actually is possible to place a Pendulum scale without activating it. Cards like "Draco Face-Off" can do that.
Comboing this card with Camouflage Armor is funny, but not too threatening and more fit for casual levels. Not to mention it further requires an ATK boost from a Field Spell, specific for Dragons, so that's at least 3 combo pieces you have to get. Really, you can be more flexible with the ATK-gaining effect, IMO.

As for what I would do to fix the card, I would make it a Pendulum monster for starters. Then go for something like this:

Double Down Dragon
FIRE/Dragon/Pendulum/Effect/Level 1
Scale: 4
1000/1000
Pendulum Effect:
[Can be anything, or nothing at all, leaving this to you]

Monster Effect:
While this card is affected by an effect(s) that increases its ATK, except by its own effect, its original ATK as well as the gained ATK are doubled. During your Main Phase: You can place this card in your rightmost Pendulum Zone, and if you do, you can make its Pendulum Scale 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4 (your choice).

Since you didn't mention any Attribute for the monster, I went with FIRE since IMO It goes with its theme of ATK boosts and offense, but you can go for a different Attribute. The scale of 4 is to discourage players from activating it as a Pendulum Scale directly, but again, the value is up to you.

Archived