Residualight

Rayfield Lumina

residualight01.jpg.c05377b97bbe8963d665d7241a059d7e.jpg

Residualight

Continuous Spell

Light monsters you control cannot have their effects negated by your opponent's card effects. If a Light monster you control is destroyed by battle or by a card effect: You can Special Summon 1 "After-Photon Token" with the same Attribute, Level, Type and half the ATK/DEF of that destroyed monster, but it cannot be Tributed or used as material for a Link Summon, also destroy it during the End Phase of the next turn. If this card is destroyed by a card effect: You can add 1 Level 4 or lower LIGHT monster with a different name from all the monsters in your GY from your Deck to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Residualight" once per turn.

Some LIGHT support that is particularly useful for Fusion/Synchro Monsters, as you can use the Token generated by this card to such Summons. Lightsworns should be happy with this thing.

At first thought the first effect outright outclassed "Constellar Belt" but it actually doesn't because this protects only LIGHTs on the field.

Anyway, card may be lengthy in text and appears to do much, but it should be fine IMO, since the Tokens are temporary and the trigger for the effect is opponent-dependent, and the float can get worse later in the game, as more LIGHTs make it into the GY.

@HQCardmaker By Xyz mechanics, Tokens cannot be used for Xyz Summons.

2 hours ago, HQCardmaker said:

The pick looks like if Sora and Hero had a kid and gave it a Princeton haircut.  I like the art and the effects.

Thanks. It's actually some dark shadow I find around in the web, and I simply applied a Reverse color effect, a negative, so to speak.

59 minutes ago, Darj said:

At first thought the first effect outright outclassed "Constellar Belt" but it actually doesn't because this protects only LIGHTs on the field.

Anyway, card may be lengthy in text and appears to do much, but it should be fine IMO, since the Tokens are temporary and the trigger for the effect is opponent-dependent, and the float can get worse later in the game, as more LIGHTs make it into the GY.

@HQCardmaker By Xyz mechanics, Tokens cannot be used for Xyz Summons.

Yeah, I mentioned Lightsworns, but like you said, the effect becomes gradually harder to use towards midgame, specially for Decks that throw stuff to the GY, but should be useful early-game. I'm guessing this won't be that much of an issue with the new master rule is out and duels finish in 2 turns, much like how it happened before Links, anyway. Thanks for the feedback.

Actually, in retrospect this card looks a bit too passive. It's defensive for sure, but it doesn't help with establishing a board and unless you crash your own monsters, it doesn't do anything without the opponent playing into it. I'm thinking you can make the float more flexible and let it activate even with your own effects. That would give it combo potential along destruction engines like Dragonic Diagram, Metalfoes, etc.

6 hours ago, Darj said:

Actually, in retrospect this card looks a bit too passive. It's defensive for sure, but it doesn't help with establishing a board and unless you crash your own monsters, it doesn't do anything without the opponent playing into it. I'm thinking you can make the float more flexible and let it activate even with your own effects. That would give it combo potential along destruction engines like Dragonic Diagram, Metalfoes, etc.

Interesting. Since this is about the second card I post at Advanced, I'm giving it quite a bit of restrictions to let it stay balanced, trying to avoid falling into a possible op combo that I can't see but more veteran members with greater knowledge of the meta can spot. But you're right. I'm gonna make that change as you suggested.

24 minutes ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Interesting. Since this is about the second card I post at Advanced, I'm giving it quite a bit of restrictions to let it stay balanced, trying to avoid falling into a possible op combo that I can't see but more veteran members with greater knowledge of the meta can spot. But you're right. I'm gonna make that change as you suggested.

The way I see it, Advanced is for cards made with the goal of making an impact in the metagames, it's not so much about cards tight in balance and fairness, since the metas can get rough at times and if a card is too fair and balanced, chances are it wouldn't make any impact at all. So, it should be fine to push a card a little bit further, as long as it doesn't break anything of course. The existence of potent cards and combos like, let's say, Guardragons, doesn't mean that it's fine to make cards or sets just as strong, or stronger for that matter.
But the catch is that one should have at least an idea of what's going on in the metas. Hence why it's called "Advanced". But this is my personal perspective on the matter,

Anyway, I keep coming back and forth on this card. IMO the anti-negation protection shouldn't be overlooked, but at the same time, if it was that good, then Constellar Belt would see more play, and yet it doesn't. Still, IMO it's better to add the flexibility and consider the protection as a bonus. Besides, if you use this card for combos, you would be giving up the protection. Although I find cool the idea of playing this to protect your LIGHTs from being negated, and once they apply their effects, you pop this to follow up with a combo.

1 minute ago, Darj said:

The way I see it, Advanced is for cards made with the goal of making an impact in the metagames, it's not so much about cards tight in balance and fairness, since the metas can get rough at times and if a card is too fair and balanced, chances are it wouldn't make any impact at all. So, it should be fine to push a card a little bit further, as long as it doesn't break anything of course. The existence of potent cards and combos like, let's say, Guardragons, doesn't mean that it's fine to make cards or sets just as strong, or stronger for that matter.
But the catch is that one should have at least an idea of what's going on in the metas. Hence why it's called "Advanced". But this is my personal perspective on the matter,

Anyway, I keep coming back and forth on this card. IMO the anti-negation protection shouldn't be overlooked, but at the same time, if it was that good, then Constellar Belt would see more play, and yet it doesn't. Still, IMO it's better to add the flexibility and consider the protection as a bonus. Besides, if you use this card for combos, you would be giving up the protection. Although I find cool the idea of playing this to protect your LIGHTs from being negated, and once they apply their effects, you pop this to follow up with a combo.

I'll take this perspective into consideration for future creations, thanks, Darj. Maybe I'll be posting some more stuff into Casual until I get a better hang of it 🙂 

25 minutes ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

I'll take this perspective into consideration for future creations, thanks, Darj. Maybe I'll be posting some more stuff into Casual until I get a better hang of it 🙂 

I don't mean to discourage you from posting here. That's just my personal perspective in Casual vs. Advanced.
Actually I review the cards from slightly different standpoints depending on the section: if it's in Casual, then I don't focus too much on whether the card makes an impact or not, but I do so with cards in Advanced. So if you want me to review you works with "metagame goggles", they better be in Advanced xD
Although I do say when I consider that a card in Casual can be brought to Advanced after 1 or 2 changes. In other words, if a card has potential, I let it know.

Archived