Red-Eyes Jinzo [Custom Artwork]

PrimeAceJohn

• 3 weeks later...

This photo is hella over saturated. The brightness begins taking over the focus, even blurring the image and meshing against the lack of final details. I think that this is a solid beginning to trying to get across, but this is a huge problem with custom images in general for YGO. They always lack balance, especially ones that try to manipulate already set characters, to try and cover up the blemishes that have been ruined through the editing.

I recommend you work on your ground spacing for the time being, while you are putting characters together and making images. Remember, there might be three grounds in an image: foreground, middle ground, and background; But, that is because it is meant to space out the image, not force closer. This is forcing the image in our face to see the lack of details, while trying to blind the eyes through the over saturation of the image. So, it really does attempt to hide its own faults while putting them on full display.

Look forward to your growth!

16 hours ago, Simping For Hina said:

This photo is hella over saturated. The brightness begins taking over the focus, even blurring the image and meshing against the lack of final details. I think that this is a solid beginning to trying to get across, but this is a huge problem with custom images in general for YGO. They always lack balance, especially ones that try to manipulate already set characters, to try and cover up the blemishes that have been ruined through the editing.

I recommend you work on your ground spacing for the time being, while you are putting characters together and making images. Remember, there might be three grounds in an image: foreground, middle ground, and background; But, that is because it is meant to space out the image, not force closer. This is forcing the image in our face to see the lack of details, while trying to blind the eyes through the over saturation of the image. So, it really does attempt to hide its own faults while putting them on full display.

Look forward to your growth!

Thanks for all the feedback.

I think I actually agree with pretty much everything you said. When I made this artwork, it was when I was relatively new to making card art. You were spot on about the over saturation. At the time, the intent was to give it a super-psychedelic look and try to make it look as trippy as possible. I think I did that, but I didn't do it in a way an official Konami card art would be. I tried going for too much of that and lost focus on what the intent of this card art would be for.

I think about a week and a half ago I looked back at this art and tried to update it a little, which is what I did here:

GZrRlsG.png?1

Even looking at this now, I'm still not satisfied. I feel like I didn't properly show the Red-Eyes nature of it too much. It's nothing that stands out too much. I think one day I'm going to just remake the whole thing from scratch and maybe do a side-by-side progression or something idk

You got a good eye and very well-thought opinions. Thank you.

This is a great step forward. It is much more clean and organized; Yes, there are still problems with it, but you show growth and improvement. Really, I think you should just experiment more with different characters, positions, and combinations instead of reveling in this more. Learn what you can do and the different ways you can do it. Try more dynamic poses for your characters.

I really want to see you explore the different styles of art that come from YGO artwork; You're trying to repeat an outdated style that worked well in the original YGO anime.

Just a quick search, try something with this render: yato_render_by_stelamata_d9o96zp-fullvie

It is much more dynamic and has a soft composition to work with. I am intrigued what you would do with it. And how you will work with the elements of this piece to set in place the atmosphere/tone of your work.

1 hour ago, Simping For Hina said:

This is a great step forward. It is much more clean and organized; Yes, there are still problems with it, but you show growth and improvement. Really, I think you should just experiment more with different characters, positions, and combinations instead of reveling in this more. Learn what you can do and the different ways you can do it. Try more dynamic poses for your characters.

I really want to see you explore the different styles of art that come from YGO artwork; You're trying to repeat an outdated style that worked well in the original YGO anime.

Just a quick search, try something with this render: yato_render_by_stelamata_d9o96zp-fullvie

It is much more dynamic and has a soft composition to work with. I am intrigued what you would do with it. And how you will work with the elements of this piece to set in place the atmosphere/tone of your work.

Appreciate that. 

I mean, there's a lot more practice I've done in the card arts of my DeviArt. I don't know if you happened to have seen it yet, but I think that over time there is some form of progression. I practice a lot with a lot of different elements. I have so much back-logged on my PC that I think I'm just going to release my practice arts as giveaways or something.

And I don't understand, is the render you gave me meant to turn into card art? The picture is beautiful, but idk how yugioh-like it is with the tracksuit and all that. But it does look like something fun to experiment with ngl

On 1/29/2021 at 5:30 PM, PrimeAceJohn said:

Appreciate that. 

I mean, there's a lot more practice I've done in the card arts of my DeviArt. I don't know if you happened to have seen it yet, but I think that over time there is some form of progression. I practice a lot with a lot of different elements. I have so much back-logged on my PC that I think I'm just going to release my practice arts as giveaways or something.

And I don't understand, is the render you gave me meant to turn into card art? The picture is beautiful, but idk how yugioh-like it is with the tracksuit and all that. But it does look like something fun to experiment with ngl

That was kind of the point; To not necessarily turn into card yes. Yes, there is a metric where it could become one. Really, for you and this goal, it is treat the render as if you were treating it like one for card art and to see how your skills could diverge more into something of this style and dynamism. It is meant to be a molding ground for you to practice what skills you have acquired from the card art practice and translate them into something of another sort, while still maintaining that practice.

On 1/31/2021 at 11:08 AM, Simping For Hina said:

That was kind of the point; To not necessarily turn into card yes. Yes, there is a metric where it could become one. Really, for you and this goal, it is treat the render as if you were treating it like one for card art and to see how your skills could diverge more into something of this style and dynamism. It is meant to be a molding ground for you to practice what skills you have acquired from the card art practice and translate them into something of another sort, while still maintaining that practice.

I'm backed up on a lot of projects going on my DeviArt so I'll try to get to it when I can

Archived