Pippola, Ascending Artist

Rayfield Lumina

1386155659_PippolaAscendingArtist.thumb.jpg.9e28de81ee0d2f7ce89e42a261a922b1.jpg

Pippola, Ascending Artist

LIGHT                               Level 1

Warrior     /    Tuner     /    Effect

During either player's turn, if you control no monsters, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). During the turn this card was Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 "White Canvas Token" (Plant/EARTH/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0). It cannot be used as Tribute or material, also destroy it if this card leaves the field. Each time a monster effect is activated, you can note it, as well as the Level/Rank/Link Rating of the monster. (Quick Effect): You can pay 1000 LP and send 1 White Canvas Token to the GY; Special Summon 1 "Living Art Token" (Fairy/LIGHT) with ATK/DEF equal to the number of noted monster effect activations x 600 (max. 3000) and Level equal to any noted Level/Rank/Link Rating. This card cannot be targeted by your opponent's attacks or card effects while you control a Token Summoned by this card's effect.

ATK 100 / DEF 1500

🎨 Design Notes

🖌️ This one comment is pretty much directed to Zamazenta xD. Remember that time when I insisted in you using (Quick Effect): and not "During either player's turn"? The reason I'm using the latter right in the start is because this is NO Quick Effect, but a Continuous effect (with a Summoning Condition) that can be activated in either player's turn when the game state is open. Interesting, huh?

🖌️ Used that old "During the turn this card was Summoned" to avoid activation, so the effect cannot be negated by activation negating stuff. It's not perfect, though, as this card is vulnerable to certain cards while it hasn't Summoned a Token to gain Immunity effects. In general, this card might be best suited to be Summoned in the opponent's End Phase, specially in turn 1. I also considered using "...Special Summon this card (from your hand), and if you do, Special Summon... which can't be negated either unless the Summon in itself is negated, but that severely cripple the card, as it would only be able to Summon the Canvas with empty fields, which is a no.

🖌️ I just love the "note system" and I feel it goes along nicely with the card's flavour. I wanted to make the Token gain 700 per effect, but in the end decided against it because, after all, this is just a Level 1 Tuner which has method to SS itself and can easily Summon something else, so I guess going beyond the basic 3000 ATK beatstick was greedy.

🖌️ Lol, a lot of stuff for a simple card, huh? I had a lot of fun making it, because this one is an adorable chubby little brat kindergartener xD. Imagine her getting mad if you distract her in her work and attacks you with her powerful 100 ATK xD. I guess she has 1500 DEF because she's chubby, and she's Warrior because we in the industry of les beaux-arts are warriors, hoho.

Comments n' critique appreciated n.n

"Note" is such an unusual term that I had to re-read it a few times xD
It's interesting. At first I was gonna complain about the second token having "max" but thinking about it, Summon loops would be an issue, so good call.... 3k is a bit low compared to the max 20k of King of Skull Servants or 10k Utopia Double.... and I apologize to the might of Blue-Eyes's legacy for calling 3k "low" but yeah xD

I very much like the concept of transforming the canvas and the painting itself taking time to complete (notes in this case xD ).

Umm is that how activation works? As I understood it, a Spell/Trap can activate as a card when it first goes face-up into the field, and afterwards it is just an effect of that card activating.
However, for monsters it'd be Summon and "effect activation" regardless of if it happened on Summon or later on. They are not "card activation" but a Summon with an "on Summon" effect activation. Though in the past I've been wrong about some stuff so I'm not curious about this bit.

On 2/14/2021 at 7:19 PM, Sleepy said:

"Note" is such an unusual term that I had to re-read it a few times xD
It's interesting. At first I was gonna complain about the second token having "max" but thinking about it, Summon loops would be an issue, so good call.... 3k is a bit low compared to the max 20k of King of Skull Servants or 10k Utopia Double.... and I apologize to the might of Blue-Eyes's legacy for calling 3k "low" but yeah xD

I very much like the concept of transforming the canvas and the painting itself taking time to complete (notes in this case xD ).

Umm is that how activation works? As I understood it, a Spell/Trap can activate as a card when it first goes face-up into the field, and afterwards it is just an effect of that card activating.
However, for monsters it'd be Summon and "effect activation" regardless of if it happened on Summon or later on. They are not "card activation" but a Summon with an "on Summon" effect activation. Though in the past I've been wrong about some stuff so I'm not curious about this bit.

Thanks a lot for the reply n.n

Yeah, note is rarely seen, it was Tinkerer the one that told me the existence of that term, it's pretty cool stuff, imo.

I'm glad you liked the concept. I had fun making it, leaving modesty aside, I feel  the flavour worked really nice xD

I was careful in the effect I gave her. I used that term, "During the turn this card was Summoned" which is taken from cards like Evilswarm Castor or Constellar Pollux. After checking the rulings I found out it did precisely what I wanted, which is avoiding starting a chain, and being able to use its effect anytime during the Main Phase... actually, that makes me think I mentioned it card was better summoned during opponent's Main Phase, but I guess it would have to be in one of the Main Phases. Would I be able to activate the effect in my opponent's turn, tho... damn, now I'm having second thoughts

Now, random fun trivia:

At my place, the government is broadcasting a spot in which a woman named "Pipola" appears. Well... my parents find the name pretty funny, lol. My mother has said like twice "how could their parents name her Pipola" hahaha. But i told them I liked the name, because it kinda sounded good for a fantasy character... and that was the amazing tale of the origin of Pippola's name xD.

• 1 month later...

Archived