Laval Support

Titan403

Laval Archetype
Lavals are a Synchro focused archetype that are very strong at controlling their graveyard. Based on many years of play and experience with the archetype, Their effects are extremely dependent on this Graveyard setup, and you may not be able to make plays if you dont get cards like Molten Conduction Field in the first turn. Once their Graveyard has been established, they can use up their hand rather quickly, with no way to replenish it, and result in top decking after one or two plays. Finally, Lavals are great at filling their Graveyard once they get going, but lack recursion and lack effects that bring them back once they are there. That makes them entirely dependent on cards like Rekindling.

Setting up the Graveyard
Molten Conduction Field and Lavalval Dragun are the primary ways to set up the grave using Laval Volcano Handmaiden. Lavalval Chain would be an invaluable resource for Lavals if available. There are other cards like Laval Blaster, Laval Magma Cannoneer, and Laval Miller that can put Lavals in the grave, but the first two cause Laval Volcano Handmaiden to miss timing, as well as discard from the hand or require Lavals in the Graveyard already, respectively. Laval Miller requires destruction by battle to get his effect off and is typically too slow. Laval Archer is one of the new Laval cards and is extremely helpful in creating first turn Synchro plays to allow you to set up your grave, if you draw him.

Resources in your hand
A few Laval monsters are able to Special Summon themselves from your hand if you have three different named Lavals in your Graveyard. So once your Graveyard is set up, you can Special Summon monsters like Laval Coatl, a level two tuner, and Laval Burner, a level 5 non-tuner. Most plays require at least two if not three cards from your starting hand to create a Synchro monster. Some of these Synchro monsters have an effect that requires you to discard when being summoned, which can help set up your grave, but is hard on your hand. Cards like Pot of Avarice can help, but are not good in your first hand and can give you hand resources at the cost of your grave setup. The new Laval cards, Laval Archer and Rekindled Rebirth, help a bit with the hand resources, especially Rekindled Rebirth.

Utilizing the set up Graveyard
Once Lavals get going, they can dump most of their Deck into the Graveyard. This allows them to make plays requiring Lavals in grave for Special Summons and Laval Effects. The main issue is that these cards have few ways to come back to help. Once banished from the grave, Laval Cannon can bring a banished card back for a Synchro play. The main way Lavals are brought back from the grave is through Rekindling. The iconic and once banned/limited to one card, allows Lavals to actually make good plays and build a field using their Graveyard setup. Unfortunately, without it, their only other option is the new Rekindled Rebirth, that allows them to Synchro Summon from the grave. This was a huge boost, but does not completely solve Lavals problems of filling up the grave and these cards not coming back, fully utilizing the resources of the grave.

Overall they have issues getting started consistently, maintaining resources in the hand, and properly using resources in the grave.

Existing Main Laval Cards

Laval Cannon
4 | Effect | Warrior | FIRE | 1600 ATK | 900 DEF
When this card is Normal or Flip Summoned: You can target 1 of your banished "Laval" monsters; Special Summon that target.

Laval Archer
4 | Effect| Pyro | FIRE | 1000 ATK | 200 DEF
If this card is Normal Summoned: During your Main Phase this turn, you can Normal Summon 1 "Laval" monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.) If this card is in your GY: You can target 1 FIRE monster you control; you cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of this turn, except FIRE monsters, also destroy the targeted monster, and if you do, Special Summon this card in Defense Position, but banish it when it leaves the field. You can only use this effect of "Laval Archer" once per turn.

Laval Coatl
2 | Tuner | Pyro | FIRE | 1300 ATK | 700 DEF
If you have 3 or more "Laval" monsters with different names in your GY, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand).

Laval Volcano Handmaiden
1 | Tuner | Pyro | FIRE | 100 ATK | 200 DEF
When this card is sent to the GY, if you have a "Laval" monster in your GY other than "Laval Volcano Handmaiden": You can send 1 "Laval" monster from your Deck to your GY.

Molten Conduction Field
Spell | Normal
Send 2 "Laval" monsters from your Deck to the GY.

Rekindling
Spell | Normal
Special Summon from your GY as many FIRE monsters as possible with 200 DEF, but banish them during the End Phase of this turn.

Lavalval Dragun
6 | Synchro | Dragon | FIRE | 2500 ATK | 1200 DEF
1 Tuner + 1+non-Tuner FIRE monsters
Once per turn: You can add 1 "Laval" monster from your Deck to your hand, then send 1 "Laval" monster from your hand to the GY.

New Laval Cards
Part of my goal with these cards is to condense them into as few necessary additional cards as I can while still providing the utility that they can offer. If you have suggestions for which effects may be better suited for a different card, or which cards could be eliminated and have their effect added to a different card, please let me know. I appreciate any feedback you can give me. Listed first are the Main New Laval Cards, then Alternate Options and finally the Extras, that are not required but would be nice, making the deck better, and fun to have. The Alternate Options are exactly that, possible different combinations of effects on different cards, looking for the right combination. I will list a satisfaction or confidence number and description next to each card, to give you some insight on how maleable some effects or cards are.

801679463_LavalKnight.png.e1d04c053fdc017cb1d36cb0a253f8ad.png (Edit: Added the ability for him to banish 1 "Laval" from the hand as well, for his first effect.)
95% - Quite confident and happy with this card, still testing balance. Added the ability for his first effect to banish Lavals from the hand as well, this would help set up first turn Laval Cannon plays. Hopefully this seems like a balanced effect.

Laval Knight
4 | Effect | Warrior | FIRE | 1900 ATK | 200 DEF
You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by banishing 1 "Laval" monster from your hand or GY. During your Main Phase: You can excavate the top 5 cards of your Deck, and if you do, you can add 1 excavated "Laval" card or card that lists "Laval" in its text to your hand, also send any remaining "Laval" cards to the GY and shuffle the rest into the Deck. You can only use this effect of "Laval Knight" once per turn.

1461565214_LavalMander.png.a827127a497bd7004f5a514694de0412.png (Edit: New version of Laval Mander condensing Laval Priestess effect into this card)
75% - Super happy with how Manders art turned out, he is a baby version of Dragon. I am 100% on the first effect Not certain if the next two effects should all be on this card or spread out, but I would like to condense the number of new cards.

Laval Mander
1 | Tuner | Pyro | FIRE | 800 ATK | 200 DEF
If you have 3 or more "Laval" monsters with different names in your GY, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). You can only use each of the following effects of "Laval Mander" once per turn. If this card is sent to the GY by the effect of a "Laval" card: You can add 1 "Laval" monster from your Deck to your hand. If this card is in your GY and you have 3 or more "Laval" monsters with different names in your GY: You can banish 1 other "Laval" monster from your GY; Special Summon this card, but banish it when it leaves the field.

919977529_LavalPriestess.png.28ec5e9a07c72e01b95f2d157c9e9115.png (Edit: Changed the first effect to any Summon, and gave her a new second effect for utility, maybe more in line with her theme)
(80% - Happy with her theme of bringing back fallen lavals and protecting current ones when she falls. Still not certain if Manders SS from GY effect fits better on her. Also thought about adding a third effect that allows you to add a banished laval to hand when she is banished.

Laval Priestess
2 | Tuner | Pyro | FIRE | ATK 600 | DEF 200
If this card is Summoned: You can add 1 "Laval" monster from your GY to your hand except "Laval Priestess". You can only use this effect of "Laval Priestess" once per turn. If this card is sent to the GY: All "Laval" monsters you currently control cannot be destroyed by your opponent's card effects until the end of the next turn.

1919336750_LavalMasterBlacksmith.png.bce3898f329ddc9a3109725b1c8689d6.png (Edit: New version of Laval Master Blacksmith, only increases levels)
85% - I am fairly happy with the Blacksmith theme of altering levels and buffing Lavals. I tried to put a Laval spin to the level gaining effect. Currently his Special Summoning effect seems kind of boring, would like to spice it up, perhaps then mill 3. Any ideas?.

Laval Master Blacksmith
3 | Tuner | Pyro | FIRE | ATK 1200 | DEF 200
If you control a "Laval" monster: You can Special Summon this card (from your hand). Once per turn: You can banish 1 "Laval" monster from your GY to target 1 face-up "Laval" monster on the field; increase its level by 1. You can banish this card from your GY; all face-up "Laval" monsters you currently control gain 500 ATK/DEF. You can only use this effect of "Laval Master Blacksmith" once per turn.

Alternate Options - Laval Cards

1653108780_LavalMander.png.dba6bde2db28e4cc1bdafdf4117028e4.png  (Edit: Added new art for Laval Mander)
60% - Super happy with how Manders art turned out, he is a baby version of Dragon. I am 100% on the first effect Not certain if the second effect belongs on another card. Possible replacement for second effect is "If this card is banished by the effect of a "Laval"  card: You can add 1 "Laval" monster from your Deck to your hand."

Laval Mander
1 | Tuner | Pyro | FIRE | 800 ATK | 200 DEF
If you have 3 or more "Laval" monsters with different names in your GY, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). If this card is sent to the GY by the effect of a "Laval" card: You can add 1 "Laval" monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Laval Mander" once per turn.

631454650_LavalvalMoltenLand.png.f4d0296065809b074b4aa5492bd3c336.png
60% - So this card was quite an old idea I had for the Archetype. It is mostly intended to be a single card that allows many of the existing Laval cards to be used and improves their effects. If this card exists, then there is less need for some of the other searching effects on other custom laval cards. It is intended to reduce the number of additional Laval cards & potentially the only new one.

Lavalval Molten Land
Spell | Field
Once per turn: You can send 1 "Laval" monster from your Deck to the GY. Once per turn if a "Laval" monster is sent to the GY by a card effect, except by this card's effect: You can add 1 "Laval" monster from your Deck to your hand. If this card is sent to the GY by a card effect: You can add 1 "Laval" monster from your Deck to your hand.

Extra - Laval Cards

91172463_LavalGunner.png.15318a90f188ef473bb1e665943bc846.png
70% - Really like the card and effects, but concerned about balance. Wondering if he would be okay to be level 4, but there arent other level 3 non-tuners.

Laval Gunner
4 | Effect | Pyro | FIRE | ATK 1400 | DEF 200
If you have 3 or more "Laval" monsters with different names in your GY, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). If this card is sent from your Deck to the GY by the effect of a "Laval" card: You can Special Summon this card.

118172662_LavalvalEruption.png.0eb282ed6a9974680918fb99bea69c29.png (Edit: Removed the banish a Laval activation effect.)
85% - This should help when you dont draw Molten Conduction field. It lets you dig a little deeper into your Deck, while also discarding a Laval or two to the GY.

Lavalval Eruption
Spell | Normal
Draw 3 cards, then if you have a "Laval" card in your hand, discard 2 cards from your hand including at least 1 "Laval" card. Otherwise, shuffle your entire hand into the Deck. If this card is sent to the GY by the effect of a "Laval" card: You can draw 1 card. You can only activate 1 "Lavalval Eruption" per turn.

933976142_LavalvalMoltenLord.png.4213500e6fa509df7129e930db91cc90.png (Edit: Changed his Synchro effect from "can discard" to protection and removed the Quick Effect on his second effect)
80% - Very happy with another level 6 Synchro. Love the card concept. The Synchro effect could be something more interesting, but this defensive effect helps as a first turn or defensive play. The second effect is there because the other level 6 Synchro is utility, so this one can be more offensive and defensive.

Lavalval Molten Lord
6 | Synchro | Pyro | FIRE | ATK 2600 | DEF 200
1 Tuner + 1+ non-Tuner FIRE monsters
If this card is Synchro Summoned: All "Laval" monsters you currently control cannot be destroyed by card effects until the end of the next turn. Once per turn: You can banish 1 "Laval" monster from your GY, then target 1 face-up card on the field; destroy that target.

1356752183_LavalvalInfernoCannon.png.093b2651522065582b5f70e2b2162157.png(Edit: Changed the Name from Lavalval Tri-Blaze Cannon)
(Art credit to SlackerMagician - DeviantArt)
80% - The card concept is cool to me. I like the idea of the three cannons impacting his effects. Not certain about balance, but it doesnt seem too crazy for a level 10  Synchro specific to Lavals.

Lavalval Inferno Cannon
10 | Synchro | Pyro | FIRE | ATK 3300 | 300
1 Tuner + 1+ non-Tuner FIRE monsters
If this card is Synchro Summoned: You can send 3 cards from the top of your deck to the GY; destroy cards on the field up to the number of "Laval" cards sent to the GY by this effect. This card can attack your opponent's monsters a number of times each Battle Phase equal to the number of Synchro Materials used for its Synchro Summon. If this card would be destroyed by a card effect: you can banish 1 "Laval" monster from your GY; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy the card.

Previous Versions - Laval Cards

51546249_LavalMasterBlacksmith.png.557d242fcdb1ad9de8f02889c74ac60d.png
75% - I was fairly happy with this version of Blacksmith theme of altering levels and buffing Lavals. Not certain about the execution of the effects though, perhaps there could be a much better way to use these effects, and also maybe a more interesting way for him to summon himself. This will allow him to create level 6, 7, and 8 Laval Synchros. Currently 7 has no easy way to be created and 8 requires a wierd combination of cards or an existing Synchro monster. He would be a great target for Laval Cannon to bring back.....perhaps too great.

Laval Master Blacksmith
3 | Tuner | Pyro | FIRE | ATK 1200 | DEF 200
If you control a "Laval" monster: You can Special Summon this card (from your hand). Once per turn: You can target 1 "Laval" monster you control; you cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of the turn, except FIRE monsters, also increase or reduce its Level by 1 until the end of this turn. You can banish this card from your GY; all face-up "Laval" monsters you currently control gain 500 ATK/DEF. You can only use this effect of "Laval Master Blacksmith" once per turn.

1302765824_LavalPriestess.png.404da272ef6101ddbf4d22e62de8991e.png(Edit: Added a Normal Summon effect that Laval Master Blacksmith had)
80% - I was very happy with the theme of the first effect bringing back a dead Laval and I like the effects, they seem rather solid. Only issue is if this card is necessary, or this GY effect can be given to Laval Mander as above under New Laval Cards, and eliminate the need for this card.

Laval Priestess
2 | Tuner | Pyro | FIRE | ATK 600 | DEF 200
If this card is Normal Summoned: You can add 1 "Laval" monster from your GY to your hand. If this card is in your GY and you have 3 or more "Laval" monsters with different names in your GY: You can banish 1 other "Laval" monster from your GY; Special Summon this card, but banish it when it leaves the field. You can only use this effect of "Laval Priestess" once per turn.

@Titan403 First of all, congratulations in such impeccable card grammar, it's pretty amazing and I'll be sure to be attentive to your posts, as I'm bound to learn by reading through them. I loved the passion with which you made this thread, the Laval enthusiasm is definitely overflowing, and I didn't want to let this one go without mentioning it. From the explanation of the existing cards and the archetype's goals, strengths and flaws to how detailed you were in each custom card and your overall feeling about them.

You seem like a much more advanced player than I am, so I don't feel like I could give you valuable feedback that can make a difference in favour of your customs, so I got to say I'm mostly here to let you know someone carefully read through your creations and was impressed by it.

@Rayfield Lumina Well thank you very much! Thats very kind of you. I have spent a bit trying understand card text but im definitely not perfect. Lavals have been my favorite since they came out, and Ive played them since then, so I understand them fairly well. I would absolutely love any suggestions or other feedback you have though. Its great to have other input, because I can get ideas and thoughts from perspectives that I wouldnt normally see. Regardless, any feedback is valuable :)

On 3/3/2021 at 5:05 PM, Titan403 said:

@Rayfield Lumina Well thank you very much! Thats very kind of you. I have spent a bit trying understand card text but im definitely not perfect. Lavals have been my favorite since they came out, and Ive played them since then, so I understand them fairly well. I would absolutely love any suggestions or other feedback you have though. Its great to have other input, because I can get ideas and thoughts from perspectives that I wouldnt normally see. Regardless, any feedback is valuable :)

Hopefully I didn't come as lazy for not giving card critique in my previous comment, I only felt that, given your mastery of Lavals, my input was kinda unneeded, but if you think I can help, then I'll try.

Priestess - You seem pretty careful in the balancing of each card, so you might not like adding a powerful effect here, but it feels a self-discarding as a hand Trap would be extremely effective for this lady

If a "Laval" monster(s) you control would be destroyed by battle or card effect, you can discard this card instead.

Blacksmith - What comes to mind if an effect that manipulates Level. You expressed your concern about the Levels of Priestess and Gunner. My suggestion would be to leave them as they're listed right now, but add an effect somewhere that can increase or decrease a "Laval"'s Level. Blacksmith seems like the premiere choice. Permanent +500 ATK is tempting, but flavour wise I can imagine a Blacksmith manipulating the level, as in "honing or dulling an edge". Considering Lavals have Lv 5-8 Synchros (and now a 10 with Tri-Blaze), tweaking with Levels sounds rather valuable.

Once per turn, if a "Laval" monster in your possession is sent to the GY: You can target 1 "Laval" monster you control; increase or decrease its Level by 1, and if you do, banish it when it leaves the field. <-- Crossed text as a tech option for Cannon's effect.

Gunner - Dual self SS method is powerful indeed. Given your concerns about balance, how about adding a clause that restricts your Summoning capabilities? Not terribly helpful, I know, but this way you limit the monsters that can be Summoned by using this card as material. On top of this, a HOPT would be in order. But if you think this is too much and you're considering possible multiple copies being sent to the GY in a turn, we can balance the HOPT by allowing Molten Conduction Field to work with this card.

If this card is sent from your Deck to the GY by the effect of a "Laval" card, or a card that lists "Laval" in its card text: You can Special Summon this card. If Summoned this way: You cannot Special Summon monsters from the Extra Deck for the rest of this turn, except FIRE monsters. You can only use this effect of "Laval Gunner" once per turn.

Eruption - Tbh, I'm not sure what to do with this. It surely does a ton of good things with the first effect. If you feel uncomfortable with this, it comes to mind that Eruption -> Return to the hand. It'd be a heavy blow for the card, returning to hand a mob already in control and losing the banishment. On top of that, it just becomes overly difficult to use. In that case, I'd even go as far as making it draw 3 cards and discarding 2. This is probably bad advice, so NVM if it is, but perhaps it gives you an idea.

Molten Lord - Ummm, yeah, this one is a little.... dull. Maybe....

If this card is Synchro Summoned: You can discard 1 card, then target 1 of your banished monsters; shuffle that target into the Deck, and if you do, draw 1 card. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can banish 1 "Laval" monster from your GY, then target 1 face-up card on the field; destroy that target, and if you do, if the destroyed card was a monster with an original ATK lower than this card's ATK, inflict damage to your opponent equal to half of that monster's original ATK. 

Hey! I mean, these guys are FIRE monsters, where's the burn damage? xD I just basically made the card stronger, but I have no regrets. Again, I'm aware you're conservative in your effects, but given the ridiculously powerful effects found nowadays in the meta, I think this is fine.

Knight, Mander and Tri-Blaze Cannon look good to go to me.

Well, I hope this was helpful, even if a little.

@Rayfield Lumina These are great suggestions and feedback! Thank you so much! These are exactly the kinds of feedback and discussion I hoped to have. I definitely didnt see that as lazy, I just wanted you to know that your feedback would be much more valuable than you gave yourself credit for. This feedback is definitely valuable, and these will defeinitely help me flesh out and change some of  the effects. Thank you so much for the detailed and constructive feedback! I may update some cards soon and see how they feel.

1 hour ago, Titan403 said:

@Rayfield Lumina These are great suggestions and feedback! Thank you so much! These are exactly the kinds of feedback and discussion I hoped to have. I definitely didnt see that as lazy, I just wanted you to know that your feedback would be much more valuable than you gave yourself credit for. This feedback is definitely valuable, and these will defeinitely help me flesh out and change some of  the effects. Thank you so much for the detailed and constructive feedback! I may update some cards soon and see how they feel.

You're welcome, I wasn't sure if it'd be helpful, but I'm glad it was. By the way, as I was quickly going through the suggestions I noticed a couple of details, so I changed Priestess' effect to one of those nice "instead" effects that don't start a chain and can include battle destruction, and also adjusted Molten Lord's effect because it previously said "also if that monster etc", which was incorrect because the effect can target any kind of card.

@Rayfield Lumina Thanks for the input. I changed some effects and moved some cards to an alternate section. The alternate ones are possible different effects and cards since I tried to reduce some of the effects into less cards. Theyre other options that may cause effects to be moved around. I also added new art for Laval Mander and am quite happy with it!

Knight - Considering adding the ability to banish "Laval" monsters from the hand as well as the GY to Special Summon himself from the hand. This would set up first turn Cannon plays and would mean I would probably remove the banish effect from Lavalval Eruption.

Priestess - You mentioned a hand trap effect, but I am not a big fan of hand traps and it doesnt quite fit the style. I gave her a Normal Summoning effect to go with her priestess theme and help replensish the hand.

Blacksmith - I tried to add a level altering effect, which I think could be cool, but not sure if its very Laval and not sure if I executed the effect very well. It could be improved upon as well as the summoning effect.

Inferno Cannon - I changed Lavalval Tri-Blaze Cannon to Lavalval Inferno Cannon.

It's good to see a couple of the cards increased in Approval % compared to before 😄. In that regard, mission semi-accomplished, as I wish I would have given better ideas so they reached the 100%. Actually, in retrospective... damn, you're pretty exigent with yourself, not even Knight managed the 100%, I can't see how that one could be improved, tbh. Overall, the changes look good to me. I must confess my favourite improvement is Blacksmith's (probably because that one's the closest to my suggestion, lol).

I'm not sure if this is a good advise, but I'd ask you not to be so... closed within the archetype's "style". I'm not asking that you do crazy things, and start destroying stuff in columns, take control of monsters and start adding FLIPs and Geminis, no, no. It is definitely important to stay true to the essence of the archetype, but if you only want to include variations of things already in existence because that "feels Laval" and other things don't, then you give up on plethora of opportunities. This particularity, I'd say, becomes more flexible when you're trying to give an old archetype support. Reason is, old = bad in YGO standards, unfortunately. I consider bending the the overall structure of the archetype is viable when we're trying to close the gap between a modern archetype and one such as this one. Just to name an example, take Vessel Miko of the Ice Barrier as referrence. Unless I'm too wrong, the is no IB card before her that can Special Summon Tokens, yet she does, and it looks like a pretty good effect for extending plays or adjusting Levels for a Synchro Summon. Not denying that, the closer a revulsive effect can be to the archetypal essence, the better.

Thats very true. I am fairly open to different effects, especially if they fit very well into the archetype existing strategies as you mention about staying true to the essence of the Archetype.  I dont mean to limit new ideas, I just mean I would like to stay within the realms of what makes sense in a Laval theme. Lavals typically involve effects milling, sending lavals to the grave, having effects when sent to the grave, discarding and banishing for costs, and gaining effects based on the number of laval names in the grave. I think that covers pretty much all of them. The new monster card Laval Archer is a bit oddish, with its extra normal summon when you normal summon it, and destroy a FIRE monster you control effects, with maybe one or two targets in the Archetype. It feels out of place, but it does still help the Deck with those effects, I just wish they maybe put a little more Laval spin to them, so that is my goal. I am open to many effects, but I would like to try and put a little Laval spin on the effects. If I hear a new effect, that would work well, I want to try to give it costs and conditions and effects that make that effect Laval. :)

Lavalval Molten Land - Added a New card as a potential single card option to improve existing Laval effects and the Deck. It would exist to hopefully reduce the need for numerous new cards and try to utilize existing effects to improve the deck, especially of Lavals that are not normally used.

Laval Knight - Added the option to banish a "Laval" from your hand in addition to the GY to his Special Summoning from your hand effect. You can banish 1 "Laval" monster from your hand or GY: Special Summon this card (from your hand).

Lavalval Molten Lord - Changed his Synchro Summon effect from You can discard 1 card to All "Laval" monsters you currently control cannot  be destroyed by card effects until the end of the next turn. Also removed the quick effect from his second effect Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can banish 1 "Laval" monster from your GY, then target 1 face-up card on the field; destroy that target.

Lavalval Eruption - Changed the effect so you draw 1 more card but discard 1 additonal card. It now reads Banish 1 "Laval" monster from your Deck; draw 3 cards, then if you have a "Laval" card in your hand, discard 2 cards from your hand including at least 1 "Laval" card.

Made some new changes and would really like some feedback.

Laval Knight - I would love some feedback on how people feel about his Special Summoning effect allowing you to banish a "Laval" from the hand as well, and not just the GY. Does this seem reasonable? Is it strange? Is it a little extra? I would like to solidify this card, and this is one of the only issues I have keeping this card from 100% satisfaction.

The other being whether his search effect should include "cards with "Laval" in their card text". I dont know if this is an effect any card has, to list an archetype in card text. Many list specific names, but not archetypes like that. What are your thoughts?

Laval Priestess - I added a new version of priestess, where if summoned (Special or Normal) you can add a fallen laval from your GY to your hand. Her second effect is protection from destruction when she falls. I like the concept, but maybe some of the other examples of effects I have on other cards would better suit her second effect. Even debating making her level 3 and replacing Blacksmith, giving her a way to SS herself, but wondering how that wouldnt conflict or feel strange with her first effect.

Laval Master Blacksmith - I updated this card and am quite satisfied with him. Thank you for the level changing suggestion, it turned out to be my more favorite effect on the card. The Special Summon effect is still boring, so if anyone has ideas to make it more interesting and have a Laval spin, im all ears.

16 hours ago, Titan403 said:

Made some new changes and would really like some feedback.

Alrighty :)

Knight - I definitely don't see how you could further help with this guy. The strong, reliable beater, with an exquisite effect that gives you cannon targets and both adds to hand and feeds your fiery bubbling GY. Almost too good. I'm not against that you gave it another option for the self summoning, Lavals require the flexibility... you want this guy on the field turn 1 yes or yes. Sadly, for as much as I try to remember other cards with the ability to search like Knight does, I can't, but I don't see why not, it's truly helpful to include many of the Laval Support that aren't named as such. If anything, I'd just like to mention that, IIRC, whenever you use that resource, you should say "in its card text", not only "in its text", like Knight currently does.

Priestess - No, please leave her as she is, I like her current version more than before... except that the protection effect lasts too much. It's kind of greedy that she can provide that protection for almost two turns, even if it only affects monsters currently in control, specially because the effect is applied at generic send to GY, which is almost a given for her.... perhaps she could protect until the end of turn if you send her to the GY, and until the end of the next turn if sent by the opponent.

Blacksmith - Ummm... I din't like that in the new version it can only increase Level, and not decrease, but if you feel it makes more sense/it is more balanced, ok. You're losing a bit of flexibility for Synchro and Xyz Summoning, tho. 3 mill card after self summoning with such an easy to fulfill condition seems a little too good. Mmm... here's a weaker alternative, but it's pretty much usable turn 1:

If you control a "Laval" monster: You can Special Summon this card (from your hand), then, if there are no "Laval" cards in your GY, you can send 1 "Laval" monster from your hand or Deck to the GY.

Maybe you could even add an alternative, like being able to banish a Laval if you don't have already banished stuff. Not sure, but maybe these ideas can spark something better in your mind.

Molten Land - Haven't seen this one until now... well, it's solid, ngl. Kinda repetitive, in itself and compared to other effects currently used, so it comes off a little as unimpressive. But again, it's good for strengthening the whole strategy.

See ya around n.n

Thank you very much for the feedback! Its always very thought provoking and greatly appreciated!

Knight - I agree, I am very happy with him, which is why I want to solidify the final touches on his effect, because I want to have a custom card made of him. I also am working on editing the art some, we will see how that turns out.
I think the banish effect is nice, but a little concerned he may be too live being able to banish from the hand as well. Im likely over thinking it. He can already just be normal summoned for a good effect turn one and Special Summoned by banishing one. Its probably fine either way. I may play test it some more to see if hes too live with the hand banishing effect. As far as the second effect, I tried to look at some references, obviously most say "that specifically lists the card 'card name' in its text". Such as Magicians Rod or Roxrose Dragon for a modern example. So since this was an archetype name rather than a specific card, I wasnt sure if specifically was necessary to include, because I dont believe there are examples of this.
One option would be to say "you can add 1 excavated "Laval" card or card that specifically lists "Laval" in its text to your hand" or "you can add 1 excavated "Laval" card or card that lists "Laval" in its text to your hand". From what I can see, this is how most cards word it with the word "specifically", except they may say "or card that lists that card" which doesnt work when refering to an archetype rather than a single card name.

Priestess - Awesome, Im glad, I believe I like her more now as well! The intention was not for it to be too long. I looked at the wording on the effect from Azure Eyes Silver Dragon. It was supposed to last during your opponents turn and then be over once its your turn again. Protecting them during your turn is alright, but id rather the opponent have to at least just attack over them, most are not that strong. Perhaps that is too strong though, and was a better fit on the lvl 6 Synchro. (Most of the time when you see the same effect repeated on multiple of these cards, it would be an alternate option, and they would not both exist at the same time). The purpose was to protect the cards I lay out, because within the Laval Archetype they have no good way to protect themselves, except Laval Stennon, who is a beatstick that can negate and destroy things that target him. Exlord is a new lvl 8 Synchro that has the effect "When your opponent activates a monster effect in the hand or on the field (Quick Effect): You can destroy that monster, and if you do, inflict 1000 damage to your opponent" which would have been a greatttt effect if it also negated. As it stands he can destroy a monster that uses an effect to destroy stuff, but he cant stop it. I will work on her some more, but I do like the direction shes going.

Blacksmith - Yeah I understand that. I was looking at him and I thought he would have the ability to make lvl 7 Synchro without his effect and lvl 8 with his effect, as well as rank 4. I was concerned he would step on the toes of Laval Coatl and the other lvl 2 Tuners, if he could also do lvl 6 Synchros by reducing 1 level. Its still possible, but him being a lvl 3 and 4 tuner is still quite good.
Yeah, being able to Special Summon by just having another laval, then getting another good effect is maybe too much. Im just looking for a way to make it more laval esq with the "cost" of milling 3 to summon him this way. Interestingly, I actually believe sending a specific card to the grave from the deck would be much more powerful  than milling 3. Milling 3 is random, and has the chance to give more effects and set up the grave, but sending 1 laval to the grave lets you pick exactly which one and you would likely pick Mander for the search every time. I will need to continue to work on the blacksmith some more, mainly his summoning effect and how it could be more interesting and laval themed.

Molten Land - Yes this one is listed under alternative options, because it was an early idea as an alternative, and kind of was intended to be a lone solution, or a single card fix. Its repetetiveness with other cards comes from it likley not existing while those other cards have those effects. It is an idea I liked, but it doesnt seem to solve the issues of the deck by itself, and interesting new monsters and play was a better solution, requiring more than just this card anyway. Playtesting it, I found that by itself, it doesnt impact the deck enough because you have to draw into it. It allows you to play older lavals and get their effects to work turn one, or instead of being negative, become a positive, but required more cards to effect the deck anyway.

Archived