Maximum height for status updates

I am posting this to propose changing the rule on status length. Rule 8 of the status bar rulebook states that a status should be within 350 characters, but can go slightly over as long as it's "still a reasonable length". That rule was created before it was possible to post statuses with images, and was not changed since. I believe the rule needs to be adjusted so that it clearly bars users from clogging the status bar with giant status updates.

I propose a hard cap of 360 pixels in height on the status bar at a normal zoom levelĀ for an entire status, including upper and lower margins. This is equal to one-third of the height of a 1080p monitor. If a user needs more than that to get a message across, he or she can add images or text in comments or make a thread in an appropriate section.

Thank you and have a nice day.

15 minutes ago, The Nyx Avatar said:

What about videos? How much space does a video take up in a status update?

Somewhere around 200 pixels.

LWUxVT6.png

This entire status, including the upper and lower margins, has a height of 326 pixels. Its body consists of a line of text, a video, and a blank line. It should be possible to post a 3, maybe 4 line statement with a video while still keeping the entire publication within 360 pixels.

I do like the idea. Given how much space some images tend to take up.

My one concern is when we share an image for amusement or a drawing in Status Updates. For example, the last drawing that I shared has a height of about 648. I did manage to resize the image. Let me see if I can share that here:

Ā 

Small Patricia.png

Ā 

Ā 

It can be attached as either an unembedded link in the body of the status or as an image in a reply. In the case of a drawing, it can be posted in Graphic Showcase.

I don't think the benefits of embedding art on the main page of the forum outweigh the problems that occur when multiple people make oversized statuses, nor do I think that certain kinds of images should be exempt from general rules. I think a hard line needs to be drawn in this case.

I tried something out. The rule states about 350 characters. I was curious as to how much space this equates to. It takes 13 lines of text to meet that margin.

The number of pixels it takes to complete this height had more length. Now, if what you propose is that the contents insideĀ (Lines of text and/or image) be within 360, then I'm cool with this.

Ā 

5 hours ago, The Nyx Avatar said:

I tried something out. The rule states about 350 characters. I was curious as to how much space this equates to. It takes 13 lines of text to meet that margin.

The number of pixels it takes to complete this height had more length. Now, if what you propose is that the contents insideĀ (Lines of text and/or image) be within 360, then I'm cool with this.

Ā 

Looks like the OP of this thread will take a break for around a week, so I ask you this, since you seem to agree with him: what exactly is the site gaining by hardening the restrictions on statuses?

57 minutes ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Looks like the OP of this thread will take a break for around a week, so I ask you this, since you seem to agree with him: what exactly is the site gaining by hardening the restrictions on statuses?

Well, ever noticed how far a status update can be dragged down if a user posts multiple cards for example? The intention for the cap is to lessen that.

2 hours ago, The Nyx Avatar said:

Well, ever noticed how far a status update can be dragged down if a user posts multiple cards for example? The intention for the cap is to lessen that.

Considering there are already two mods saying yes to this, this cause seems as good as lost, and yet, I'll put in my two cents:

I'm in favour of a rule preventing people from posting more than one image per Status;Ā size limit for images,Ā I'm fiercely against (for what it's worth, because I'm likely going to be ignored), unless it is truly lengthy. There are many reasons for this. For starters, we're already at a precarious situation in the site, with activity still low. Yet you want to place more limits to what peopleĀ  can do. Next, a newbie, who likely didn't read such new ruleĀ comes and posts something, and the first thing they get is a warning. But people at social media is used to post any kind of image as long as it's not of offensive nature. "What, I can't even do this without a mod coming to berate me?Ā Screw this place". Then, all this idea, with all due respect to the person bringing this up and getting the support so easily, is just a tremendous exaggeration. How far a status update can be dragged down if a user posts multiple cards? Well, right now there is a Status with a couple of cards in it, and another status with a rather lengthy picture (mine, I don't deny it)... and yet, from the bottom of the index, where the list of users online is, I only need to press pg dnĀ twiceĀ to reach the bottom of the screen. How is that even problematic?Ā Don't be like that! Restrictions like this aren't truly helpful, they just contribute to cause a feeling of oppression on the site. And talking about feelings... well, at the time I'm posting this, my lengthy pic is still there, and it was rather liked. What I'm trying to say, it's that it fulfilled it's purpose, which was for people to have a chuckle. It's an innocuous and cute pic posted to make someone smile, it makes the site more colorful. The moment you arrive, you see it without having to check replies, then, with a slight lift in humour in case you liked it, you proceed to do whatever you came to do. Send it to the graphic showcase? Like if anybody goes there... the place has 3 threads created in 3 months, with barely any replies. Again, I'm alright with preventing members from posting multiplesĀ pics per status (as the bar is right now, if this rule was already in place, the whole bar would end just below the Member List.

My apologies if I sounded too combative towards anyone in particular, it's just I'm this disgruntled by the idea which, in my humble opinion, seems completely unneeded and got great support so quickly, without a second thought.

9 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Considering there are already two mods saying yes to this, this cause seems as good as lost, and yet, I'll put in my two cents:

I'm in favour of a rule preventing people from posting more than one image per Status;Ā size limit for images,Ā I'm fiercely against (for what it's worth, because I'm likely going to be ignored), unless it is truly lengthy. There are many reasons for this. For starters, we're already at a precarious situation in the site, with activity still low. Yet you want to place more limits to what peopleĀ  can do. Next, a newbie, who likely didn't read such new ruleĀ comes and posts something, and the first thing they get is a warning. But people at social media is used to post any kind of image as long as it's not of offensive nature. "What, I can't even do this without a mod coming to berate me?Ā Screw this place". Then, all this idea, with all due respect to the person bringing this up and getting the support so easily, is just a tremendous exaggeration. How far a status update can be dragged down if a user posts multiple cards? Well, right now there is a Status with a couple of cards in it, and another status with a rather lengthy picture (mine, I don't deny it)... and yet, from the bottom of the index, where the list of users online is, I only need to press pg dnĀ twiceĀ to reach the bottom of the screen. How is that even problematic?Ā Don't be like that! Restrictions like this aren't truly helpful, they just contribute to cause a feeling of oppression on the site. And talking about feelings... well, at the time I'm posting this, my lengthy pic is still there, and it was rather liked. What I'm trying to say, it's that it fulfilled it's purpose, which was for people to have a chuckle. It's an innocuous and cute pic posted to make someone smile, it makes the site more colorful. The moment you arrive, you see it without having to check replies, then, with a slight lift in humour in case you liked it, you proceed to do whatever you came to do. Send it to the graphic showcase? Like if anybody goes there... the place has 3 threads created in 3 months, with barely any replies. Again, I'm alright with preventing members from posting multiplesĀ pics per status (as the bar is right now, if this rule was already in place, the whole bar would end just below the Member List.

My apologies if I sounded too combative towards anyone in particular, it's just I'm this disgruntled by the idea which, in my humble opinion, seems completely unneeded and got great support so quickly, without a second thought.

Well, would you like to suggest an alternative or compromise?

Perhaps something among the lines of "No posting cards in the status updates"?

3 hours ago, The Nyx Avatar said:

Well, would you like to suggest an alternative or compromise?

Perhaps something among the lines of "No posting cards in the status updates"?

Yes, I'd be more than happy to find an agreement. As I've suggested before, I consider that a rule to prevent people from posting more than 1 image per status is enough to keep the barĀ at an acceptableĀ size while reducing the restrictive feeling to a minimum.Ā I'm not sure if going after cards is an effective approach either, but I suppose the most typical instance of multiple images being posted is precisely when people uploads part of an archetype, so I guess an outright prohibition of cards would help. I happen to sometimes post a single card for festivities to wish the community a nice day or something. Like I mentioned before, I think this helps with the friendly atmosphere of the site. What I'm saying here is that, within the rule, there could be a clause to be more lenient during special occasions... of course, I'm aware that with this I'm kinda bending the rules to the convenience of what I aspire, but be aware that I aspire to that because I feel it's healthy for the site. Nevertheless, if cards got to be prohibited for the sake of keeping regular images (except, again, exaggeratedly lengthy ones), so be it. In resume, my proposal:

1)Ā  One Image per Status. It can be lengthy within common sense.

2) Card posts forbidden, except during holidays and such.

Also, it's unlikely that there won't be people breaking a new rule out of ignorance. Yeah, I knowĀ ignorance ofĀ law is no excuse, but we know well people rarely check the rulebook, so I'd just ask for friendly "reminders" for newbies who do this instead of a harsh warning. We got to care for newbies, as I'll never get tired of saying they're the hope of YCM.

Actually, it'd be amazing if, when somebody signs in for the first time, they get a notification asking them to have a look at the rulebook. This would cause people to be more understanding of a warning, like "well, I screwed it, so np". But I'm aware this kind of coding is probably restricted to YCMaker, so I just leave it as a suggestion n.n

Thanks for hearing me out.

10 minutes ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Yes, I'd be more than happy to find an agreement. As I've suggested before, I consider that a rule to prevent people from posting more than 1 image per status is enough to keep the barĀ at an acceptableĀ size while reducing the restrictive feeling to a minimum.Ā I'm not sure if going after cards is an effective approach either, but I suppose the most typical instance of multiple images being posted is precisely when people uploads part of an archetype, so I guess an outright prohibition of cards would help. I happen to sometimes post a single card for festivities to wish the community a nice day or something. Like I mentioned before, I think this helps with the friendly atmosphere of the site. What I'm saying this is that, within the rule, there could be a clause to be more lenient during special occasions... of course, I'm aware that with this I'm kinda bending the rules to the convenience of what I aspire, but be aware that I aspire to that because I feel it's healthy for the site. Nevertheless, if cards got to be prohibited for the sake of keeping regular images (except, again, exaggeratedly lengthy ones), so be it. In resume, my proposal:

1) Image per Status. It can be lengthy within common sense.

2) Card posts forbidden, except during holidays and such.

Also, it's unlikely that there won't be people breaking a new rule out of ignorance. Yeah, I knowĀ ignorance ofĀ law is no excuse, but we know well people rarely check the rulebook, so I'd just ask for friendly "reminders" for newbies who do this instead of a harsh warning. We got to care for newbies, as I'll never get tired of saying they're the hope of YCM.

Actually, it'd be amazing if, when somebody signs in for the first time, they get a notification asking them to have a look at the rulebook. This would cause people to be more understanding of a warning, like "well, I screwed it, so np". But I'm aware this kind of coding is probably restricted to YCMaker, so I just leave it as a suggestion n.n

Thanks for hearing me out.

Well, there was one time days ago that I did tell a new user that the Status Bar is not an appropriate place to post multiple custom cards. And you know what? That user listened to me! And posted their next card in Custom Cards.

Ā 

I'm on board with the 1 image per status. However, I don't think cards should be absolute with exceptions. I just think it can fall under the same umbrella as 1 image per status. I don't think a single card would drag the status bar too low. But 2 or more? Yeah. No. At that point, just share those in replies or make a thread.

3 minutes ago, The Nyx Avatar said:

Well, there was one time days ago that I did tell a new user that the Status Bar is not an appropriate place to post multiple custom cards. And you know what? That user listened to me! And posted their next card in Custom Cards.

Ā 

I'm on board with the 1 image per status. However, I don't think cards should be absolute with exceptions. I just think it can fall under the same umbrella as 1 image per status. I don't think a single card would drag the status bar too low. But 2 or more? Yeah. No. At that point, just share those in replies or make a thread.

Completely agreed... I'd love if this was the final resolution, though I'm aware the OP of the thread, Enguin or other people might have much more to say, so I wait, content for the time being. I was willing to let cards go as part of the compromise, but if they're staying with the 1 per status rule, much better.

Well, there was one time days ago that I did tell a new user that the Status Bar is not an appropriate place to post multiple custom cards. And you know what? That user listened to me! And posted their next card in Custom Cards.-Nyx

Was this referring to me?

23 hours ago, The Nyx Avatar said:

But it's not the first time either. I don't have a problem with one card being shared. But multiple cards drag the status bar down a lot. Even today, there was someone who posted a Status Update with about 7 images. That was unacceptable.

I didn't see that, guess it was removed. But yeah, that definitely is troublesome, hence the rules suggested so far. But Nyx, do you think that, instead of just being a "rule", there could be a method to literally stop members from doing it as automatic part of the forum's system? That'd be truly helpful, as you wouldn't need to constantly warn users, andĀ people won't startĀ complaining if they don't like it.

32 minutes ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

I didn't see that, guess it was removed. But yeah, that definitely is troublesome, hence the rules suggested so far. But Nyx, do you think that, instead of just being a "rule", there could be a method to literally stop members from doing it as automatic part of the forum's system? That'd be truly helpful, as you wouldn't need to constantly warn users, andĀ people won't startĀ complaining if they don't like it.

I don't think so.

2 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

because of my history as a mod who has heard many suggestions of a similar nature and having to tell them I can't do anything (and then people getting upset) I feel the need to jump in here for nyx and say

Almost anything regarding how the site actually functions would need to be directed to YCMaker. Even when the mods had more power there were many things, largely functionality and such, that we just couldn't touch. And now the mods have even less

(I could be wrong but if the admin and mod cp are similar on the two sites they can only lock/move threads, delete/edit posts, and see reports/give warnings?)

37 minutes ago, God Emperor Cow said:

because of my history as a mod who has heard many suggestions of a similar nature and having to tell them I can't do anything (and then people getting upset) I feel the need to jump in here for nyx and say

Almost anything regarding how the site actually functions would need to be directed to YCMaker. Even when the mods had more power there were many things, largely functionality and such, that we just couldn't touch. And now the mods have even less

(I could be wrong but if the admin and mod cp are similar on the two sites they can only lock/move threads, delete/edit posts, and see reports/give warnings?)

I see... that's unfortunate, considering that our current mods are much more in touch with the overall site and its members than YCMaker, and thus they'd be able to quickly implement any fair changes the public wants to see if they had the power to do so. Yet, YCMaker has been more active as of late, primarily because of the new card maker, and he's been listening to some of the people's requests... perhaps we can bring his attention to this once he's done with the polishing of the CM. For now I'd rather let him focus on the release, which is crucial to the site.

Archived