Topsy-Turvy Territory [WRITTEN] (Need Wording Help)

Tinkerer

Topsy-Turvy Territory / Reversal Realm
Field Spell
Monsters you control gain 300 DEF.  You can Set 1 Flip monster from your hand to your Spell & Trap Zone as a Trap, and it can be activated as a Trap (except during the turn it is Set).  You can only Set 1 monster by this effect per turn.  When a Flip monster Set in your Spell/Trap Zone this way is activated, activate its Flip effect as its trap effect, then, you can Special Summon that monster in face-up defense position.

Was interested in making a unique brand of FLIP support and came up with this.  I'm really not sure how to word the underlined part to make it sound natural though.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Loved this one, the effect is really cool and innovative! I have a question, tho: the "Each turn" part... why that wording? To avoid starting a chain so it is not negated? But isn't it a bit strange? I don't know if the intent is to make it 1 use per turn or multiple times, but (let's just mention there's some reason in that evil mind of yours for this kind of thingies xD) I believe the usage of the Magical Musket's "During either player's turn" continuous effect could be a better wording, or if you want to be able to use it only once, just adding the Once per turn, of course.

11 minutes ago, Mr Melon said:

Was interested in making a unique brand of FLIP support and came up with this.  I'm really not sure how to word the underlined part to make it sound natural though.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Ooof... you're better at this than me, but I have an idea:

During either player's turn, you can Set 1 Flip monster from your hand to your Spell & Trap Zone as a Trap, and if you do, apply that card's Flip effect when it is activated. You cannot activate that card during the turn it was Set.

At the very least, I'm positive you gotta use Spell & Trap Zone, I went to look for confirmation in Artifact Dagda. Well, it's likely this is not very useful, but I had to try >_<''. 

P.D. Long life to the Spirit of the Fall Wind!

Thanks!

Gonna address the stuff one at a time:

1. "Each Turn": That's a good point.  I didn't want the card to start a chain (so I couldn't use a typical OPT), and I wanted to keep it short, but I realize that now it sounds like you can Set things during your opponent's turn (which was not my intention).  I guess the better wording would be "You can only Set 1 monster by this card's effect per turn"... or something along those lines.  It would restrict it to your turn, but it would not start a chain.
  2. "Spell & Trap Zone":  Ooh, cool!  Thanks for that.  I didn't actually look up any cards to confirm that wording, but yeah, that would be more accurate.
  3. *Wording suggestion*: Haha!  It's funny, that is similar to how I wrote the card originally, but when I sent that preliminary card elsewhere to ask if it made sense, the first response was "how does the flip monster activate".  Going back to the Artifact example, you can't activate Artifact cards even though they are Set as trap cards, so I felt like I had to put something that confirmed that the Flips can be activated.  That's pretty much the sole purpose of the underlined bit.

I'll fix up the other wording issues, but I suppose the underlined bit will just have to remain as custom wording.

38 minutes ago, Mr Melon said:

Thanks!

Gonna address the stuff one at a time:

1. "Each Turn": That's a good point.  I didn't want the card to start a chain (so I couldn't use a typical OPT), and I wanted to keep it short, but I realize that now it sounds like you can Set things during your opponent's turn (which was not my intention).  I guess the better wording would be "You can only Set 1 monster by this card's effect per turn"... or something along those lines.  It would restrict it to your turn, but it would not start a chain.
  2. "Spell & Trap Zone":  Ooh, cool!  Thanks for that.  I didn't actually look up any cards to confirm that wording, but yeah, that would be more accurate.
  3. *Wording suggestion*: Haha!  It's funny, that is similar to how I wrote the card originally, but when I sent that preliminary card elsewhere to ask if it made sense, the first response was "how does the flip monster activate".  Going back to the Artifact example, you can't activate Artifact cards even though they are Set as trap cards, so I felt like I had to put something that confirmed that the Flips can be activated.  That's pretty much the sole purpose of the underlined bit.

I'll fix up the other wording issues, but I suppose the underlined bit will just have to remain as custom wording.

You're welcome, nice to see my blabbering was kinda of help  n.n

I see your point about the Flip Monster -> Trap Identity. Despite the response you got, which might be a valid concern, I'd say it is otherwise: When you say in your effect, Set 1 Flip monster from your hand to your Spell/Trap Zone as a Trap, I believe you're giving the card Trap qualities... not exactly the same case, but similarly to a Pendulum Monster, which starts being treated as a Spell the moment it touches the Pendulum Zone. So, you say, "as a Trap", and so, it obtain the mechanic qualities of a Trap, i.e., a card that has to be Set and can be flipped face-up to activate it as Spell Speed 2 effect, and then you specify the exact effect that is applied when flipped. In such a case, no other wording would be needed... imo. Perhaps you could say "as a Normal Trap" instead of "as a Trap" to be more precise and further strengthen the idea of the card obtaining the Trap quality... I dunno if I'm making sense here xD.

Not completely against leaving the underlined text as it is, tho, sometimes there's just no reference or already approved method to word an innovative effect such as this one.

Archived