Baton Pass [written]

Sleepy

Baton Pass
[Trap]
Tribute 1 monster; Add from your Deck or GY to your hand 1 monster with the same Type and Attribute, whose DEF is the same as the Tributed monster's ATK on the field. You can only activate 1 "Baton Pass" per turn.

- - - - -

I'll be honest, I have not thought about this card's ramifications at all. I was gonna go to sleep like 3 minutes ago and the idea popped into my head.
It's a super generic search/recycle effect, but it is a -1 Trap tied to 3 different traits of what you are Tributing.

An example of a use ummm....
You can Tribute "Megasonic Eye" ( DARK Machine, ATK 1500 ) to search for "Jinzo" ( DARK Machine, DEF 1500 ).
I'd go to the database to look for something more useful like one that shares with Sangan, but DuelingBook is a bit laggy right now (that's how I usually check) and I need to go to sleep already xD

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions/etc welcomed and appreciated, but that goes without saying. xP

I'd like to be able to come up with useful feedback, but this card has the kind of effect that requires a lot of knowledge of YGO cards and a great memory, like yours. To remember ATK/DEF swapping in monsters with the same Type+Attribute feels a bit too much of a feat for me right now. This trait, the DEF <-> ATK interaction is bugging me a little. I think it's a good measure, otherwise the effect might be relatively easy to pull and perhaps open more possibilities of usage, but at the same time is making me feel lost because I just can't remember cards with these interactions. All in all, I think that it'd be better if the card was a little more lenient, and with this I mean allowing ATK/DEF of Tributed monster to be equal to the added to hand monster's ATK/DEF. I know this makes the card far more powerful (basically quadrupling the effect, as you'd have 4 possible combinations) , but like you said, it's a -1 normal Trap, slow and not that convenient. I've never been 100% sure in certain situations what would be counted as -1, but (ignoring if this is stretching it), I'd call it -2, as you're losing a monster already on the field to get 1 in the hand. Of course, if it can be Special Summoned in your current circumstances, nevermind, but there's another thing to consider, Summon negation, so the card... comes a little on the weak side, imo, I believe it warrants the ATK/DEF lenience mentioned above to make it a little more useful, or now that I think about it, another possibility to increase the power would be a direct substitute, Tribute --> Special Summon to the field, in which case the other possibility might not be needed n.n

P.D: My Pokemon mind immediately made me think of the move Baton Pass. Interesting if you could transfer ATK/DEF or gained effects of one Tributed card to a substitute 🤔

This is indeed a minus one, and with how specific it it I would special summon the second card or at least add that as an option if it can be special summoned. I almost want a no same name clause. This reminds me of Pokémon. You can also make it activatable again from the GY? 

On 6/7/2021 at 9:21 PM, Rayfield Lumina said:

I'd like to be able to come up with useful feedback, but this card has the kind of effect that requires a lot of knowledge of YGO cards and a great memory, like yours. To remember ATK/DEF swapping in monsters with the same Type+Attribute feels a bit too much of a feat for me right now. This trait, the DEF <-> ATK interaction is bugging me a little. I think it's a good measure, otherwise the effect might be relatively easy to pull and perhaps open more possibilities of usage, but at the same time is making me feel lost because I just can't remember cards with these interactions. All in all, I think that it'd be better if the card was a little more lenient, and with this I mean allowing ATK/DEF of Tributed monster to be equal to the added to hand monster's ATK/DEF. I know this makes the card far more powerful (basically quadrupling the effect, as you'd have 4 possible combinations) , but like you said, it's a -1 normal Trap, slow and not that convenient. I've never been 100% sure in certain situations what would be counted as -1, but (ignoring if this is stretching it), I'd call it -2, as you're losing a monster already on the field to get 1 in the hand. Of course, if it can be Special Summoned in your current circumstances, nevermind, but there's another thing to consider, Summon negation, so the card... comes a little on the weak side, imo, I believe it warrants the ATK/DEF lenience mentioned above to make it a little more useful, or now that I think about it, another possibility to increase the power would be a direct substitute, Tribute --> Special Summon to the field, in which case the other possibility might not be needed n.n

P.D: My Pokemon mind immediately made me think of the move Baton Pass. Interesting if you could transfer ATK/DEF or gained effects of one Tributed card to a substitute 🤔

I was kinda worried that would be the case. I made this in a way I thought it'd be easier to swallow than something like Spirit Sculptor... I've told you before, I don't have a great memory xD

There are 2 ways of looking for targets:

-Oh "Witch of the Black Forest" looks like a great Tribute for this card. She's a DARK Spellcaster with 1100 ATK. *goes to Duelingbook database*... Let's see a DARK Spellcaster with 1100 DEF.... It says the only 3 monsters in the game with it are Lord of D. Lady of D, and King of D..... FUUUUUUUUUUU.

-I wanna search for "Light and Darkness Dragon", let's see any LIGHT Dragons with 2400 ATK I could Tribute for it.... (3 doritos later)....
umm a bunch of Level 6 like the Kaiser Glider family... Arkbrave Dragon.... ummm ah, Black Rose Moonlight Dragon. ummm eww xD

^easy peacy xP

I think I'm guetting into the idea that most of the searches I can do with this card are plays that'd suck xD
Lemme look at what I can do with Kujakujaku at least....
Umm well at least it searches Garuda Spirit and then triggers Kujakujaku's own (and more broad) search effect.... I just lost My Normal Summon on it anyways xD

Yes, yes indeed this card needs a bit of a boost xD
I'll take the "add or Special" option, and am thinking on a "Tribute a monster from your hand or field" option as well....
I would be lying if I said I didn't think of the pokemon move too. Maybe I can have a Summoned monster inherit something, be it stats, effect, or the name.... I'm not super sure yet but it could be what the card needs.

On 6/7/2021 at 11:21 PM, Rayfield Lumina said:

Apparently you posted before me on this and I just saw your comment. Great minds think alike. Though you explained in much better detail then I did.

3 minutes ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

Apparently you posted before me on this and I just saw your comment. Great minds think alike. Though you explained in much better detail then I did.

hehe, mine is just a lot of babbling, nothing too special xD. Anywho, I still believe the card's effect requires more flexibility to be relevant (or the direct substitute thingy I mentioned).

On 6/11/2021 at 8:06 AM, Sleepy said:

Yes, yes indeed this card needs a bit of a boost xD
I'll take the "add or Special" option, and am thinking on a "Tribute a monster from your hand or field" option as well....
I would be lying if I said I didn't think of the pokemon move too. Maybe I can have a Summoned monster inherit something, be it stats, effect, or the name.... I'm not super sure yet but it could be what the card needs.

Actually, inherit not only stat boost or added effects but also of name sounds like an excellent idea, it would probably lead to a fair number of combos n.n

The FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU said it all xD

Archived