Mentor Magician [WRITTEN] (Inspired by Ray's and Itsu's Magicians)

Tinkerer

Mentor Magician

EARTH **

Scale: 0<>8

Spellcaster/Pendulum/Effect

PE: Unless you have a "Magician" card in your other Pendulum Zone, this card’s Pendulum scale becomes 4. If you control a Special Summoned monster(s) whose Levels are between this card's scale and the other card’s scale, you can Special Summon this card.

ME: Once per turn: If your LP are equal or higher than your opponent's, you can target 1 monster you control and pay up to 1000 LP (in multiples of 200); increase that target's Level by 1 and ATK by 100 for every 200 LP paid. If your opponent controls a monster(s) Special Summoned this turn, you can declare 1 card name and look at your opponent's hand. If the declared card is in their hand, you can send 1 Special Summoned monster your opponent controls to the GY. You can only use this effect of "Mentor Magician" once per turn.

800/800

It sure is nice to inspire other people to make cards, @Tinkerer643864601594953760.png.58a28c3e0bd7d68fc0691c3851544493.png

So, you decided to make a Pendulum with uneven scales again xD. Interesting. Good and bad thing, gives you felxibility but you ought to be careful where you place the card or you can get royally screwed lol. The effect looks like it was made by someone who knows what's going on, unlike me who splashed 500 effects into the card lol. I see it a tiny bit problematic that the effect is on when your LP is higher is you need to pay LP to make full use of the effect, but I guess tat's what the trick in the card is about. My favourite effect is the one that can send mobs to the GY without destroying them while looking at the opponent's hand, mwahaha, fun stuff.

Lol, thanks for the review, but really any design aspects for this card was based around yours and Itsu's cards. It's been so long since I've played a modern game of ygo that I'm unsure what the power level looks like anymore. 😅

I couldn't really justify making my card either Scale 0 or scale 8 since it was meant to bridge both yours and Itsu's cards. Same reason why it is EARTH instead of LIGHT or DARK.

The higher LP effect was meant to complete the trio. Your card worked with less/equal LP, and Itsu's worked with exact same LP values. My card's effect would ideally help you manipulate your LP so you can get the appropriate effect of either of your cards (i.e. Having the same LP as your opponent). I figured a small ATK boost would also be helpful since both of your cards can attack directly.

The "send-Special-Summoned-monster-to-GY" effect should be a pretty obvious combo. Both of your cards look at the hand and Special Summon one of the opponent's monsters, so I thought I'd take advantage of that. Still, my effect is probably a bit too powerful and generic.. I'm going to tone it down.

But glad you liked it! 😁

42 minutes ago, Tinkerer said:

Lol, thanks for the review, but really any design aspects for this card was based around yours and Itsu's cards. It's been so long since I've played a modern game of ygo that I'm unsure what the power level looks like anymore. 😅

I couldn't really justify making my card either Scale 0 or scale 8 since it was meant to bridge both yours and Itsu's cards. Same reason why it is EARTH instead of LIGHT or DARK.

The higher LP effect was meant to complete the trio. Your card worked with less/equal LP, and Itsu's worked with exact same LP values. My card's effect would ideally help you manipulate your LP so you can get the appropriate effect of either of your cards (i.e. Having the same LP as your opponent). I figured a small ATK boost would also be helpful since both of your cards can attack directly.

The "send-Special-Summoned-monster-to-GY" effect should be a pretty obvious combo. Both of your cards look at the hand and Special Summon one of the opponent's monsters, so I thought I'd take advantage of that. Still, my effect is probably a bit too powerful and generic.. I'm going to tone it down.

But glad you liked it! 😁

It really does bridge both cards very well. For a very situational interaction I almost want to add the clause to Rayfield's card if it special summoned by it's own effect increase your LP to be equal to the opponent's or increase by up to 1000 something like that. I also want to add the clause to both Ray and my cards: before your opponent's hand you can declare a monster and if the summoned card is the declared monster on mine the opponent wouldn't draw 2 and Lumina'a wouldn't  have the restrictions to being used as material. alas that means a more wordy effect :P

7 hours ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

It really does bridge both cards very well. For a very situational interaction I almost want to add the clause to Rayfield's card if it special summoned by it's own effect increase your LP to be equal to the opponent's or increase by up to 1000 something like that. I also want to add the clause to both Ray and my cards: before your opponent's hand you can declare a monster and if the summoned card is the declared monster on mine the opponent wouldn't draw 2 and Lumina'a wouldn't  have the restrictions to being used as material. alas that means a more wordy effect :P

I think your cards are fine where they are. Remember, they also get tons of support from the Pendulum "Magician" Archetype as well as Level 1 support, so making them too versatile could end up making them broken.

Your card was meant to Special Summon your opponent's monster to your field, correct? If so, I might need to think about how to change my card’s effect since my card's last effect doesn't actually work with yours..

I changed the name

11 hours ago, Tinkerer said:

I think your cards are fine where they are. Remember, they also get tons of support from the Pendulum "Magician" Archetype as well as Level 1 support, so making them too versatile could end up making them broken.

Your card was meant to Special Summon your opponent's monster to your field, correct? If so, I might need to think about how to change my card’s effect since my card's last effect doesn't actually work with yours..

It does work with both of our effects as far a I can tell.

Archived