Trap Master Dragon: Trap Master Archetype Concept

JmanWhitt

Welcome aboard! There's no problem with not having pictures, but make sure you write out the card description under the card in case people can't read it. You don't even need the blank card, just the description and maybe the word [Written] in your thread title.

My attempt at polishing the OCG language of the card:

1 Tuner + 1+ non-Tuner monsters

Once per turn: You can banish one 1 Trap card from your field or GY; activate one of the following effects;

• activate the banished Trap card's effect as this monster's effect until your End Phase.
  • excavate cards from your deck until you excavate a Trap card; add that card to your hand and shuffle your deck.

I assume you are mostly thinking basic traps like Trap Hole and Mirror Force types (cards that activate to opponent actions) but how do you want the card to treat continuous traps like Gozen Match? Do you want the effect to wear off like I made it, wear off only if you banish another trap card, or make it permanent (and probably stackable)? Personally, I prefer the first and think the third is broken but the second is a nice compromise. Or do you want continuous traps to not be elligible in which case you need to specify what kind of traps work for the effect on the card.

About the drawing a Trap Card, most excavation cards these days either dump cards into the graveyard or place them on the bottom of the deck. I like the latter over shuffling because one, it is less work and two, it has a hidden cost in that any card excavated you know you won't be drawing anytime soon.

Finally, make sure to add the Synchro requirements.

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your Trap Masters.

I roughly agree with what Mickey said, anyhow he mixed up some PSCT stuff, so I'm here to fix that. 

Once per turn: You can activate 1 of these effects.
● Banish 1 Normal Trap Card that meets its activation requirements from your field or GY; this effect becomes that card's effect when it is activated. 
● Excavate cards from the top of your Deck until you excavate a Trap, then add that card to your hand, also shuffle the remaining cards into your Deck. 

So this would allow you to use cards like Reckless Greed the turn you set them by banishing them from your field for the cost of a - 1. I think regarding the amount of different cards you could use with this, you don't actually need the option to draw a card instead. The effect could be pretty helpful with outing cards like Dragoon by using IDP in your initial turn going 2nd and would actually be pretty rewarding if played in a GY reliant (milling) Deck as you could get strong Traps in your GY quickly and not even go negative to use the copying effect. It's definetely a fun concept but I would recommend adding a hard once per turn condition to the card to restrict unfair abuse. That would go like this:

You can only use this effect of "Trap Master Dragon" once per turn. 

Best regards, 

Messoras

3 hours ago, Messoras said:

I roughly agree with what Mickey said, anyhow he mixed up some PSCT stuff, so I'm here to fix that. 

Once per turn: You can activate 1 of these effects.
● Banish 1 Normal Trap Card that meets its activation requirements from your field or GY; this effect becomes that card's effect when it is activated. 
● Excavate cards from the top of your Deck until you excavate a Trap, then add that card to your hand, also shuffle the remaining cards into your Deck. 

So this would allow you to use cards like Reckless Greed the turn you set them by banishing them from your field for the cost of a - 1. I think regarding the amount of different cards you could use with this, you don't actually need the option to draw a card instead. The effect could be pretty helpful with outing cards like Dragoon by using IDP in your initial turn going 2nd and would actually be pretty rewarding if played in a GY reliant (milling) Deck as you could get strong Traps in your GY quickly and not even go negative to use the copying effect. It's definetely a fun concept but I would recommend adding a hard once per turn condition to the card to restrict unfair abuse. That would go like this:

You can only use this effect of "Trap Master Dragon" once per turn. 

Best regards, 

Messoras

Messoras and Mickey,

Thank You two for your input on fixing the text parts of the card! It was pretty silly of me to forget materials but you two both had valuable points about the possible uses of Trap Master Dragon. 

On the topic of continuous traps, I think the effect should only last the turn its used. In my head I could only imagine having Trap Master Dragon be a Call of the Haunted base thats harder to remove while using trap hole effects at the same time. That might be a bit too much.

The whole concept behind the deck was to make trap cards powerful effects more immediate and have more staying power than a simple one and done effect. I'm glad the idea does not seem ridiculous even if i cant quite type out everything correctly.... (again thats my bad)

once again, thank you two for your input and I hope to see you on my future posts!

-Jman 

Archived