Experimental Retrain of Old Yugioh Cards! The Series (UPDATE: 14/09/2021: Lv.9 and Lv.12 Upgrade of Wicked Dragon with the Ersatz Head)

Nede

Hey all, I want to start this new thread where I post my own retrain of old yugioh cards and I'm going to keep adding new ones. The rules are simple, the retrains must be powerful and interesting BUT MUST MAKE SENSE (from names, pictures, flavor text, etc.), because these cards are so weak that adding a simple effect could be defined as "retrain", but that wouldn't be fun to read, would it? ;)

(READ NEWER TO OLDER)

-----14/09/2021-----

ORIGINAL CARD

2957055.jpg.34b85bbc2e31a6f56df176211e420212.jpg

RETRAIN CARD (LV. 9)

spacer.png

Black-Headed Ersatz Dragon

WIND/Level 9

Dragon/Synchro/Effect

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
You can target 1 monster your opponent controls (Quick Effect); equip that target to this card (max. 1). You can send 1 monster equipped to this card to the GY, then send 1 monster on the field to the GY. If this face-up card would be removed from the field, you can send 1 monster equipped to this card to the GY instead. You can only use each effect of "Black-Headed Ersatz Dragon" once per turn.

RETRAIN CARD (LV. 12)

spacer.png

True Overlord Ersatz Harbringer of All-Ending

WIND/Level 12

Dragon/Synchro/Effect

1 or more Tuners + 1 non-Tuner Dragon-Type Synchro Monster
When this card is Synchro Summoned: You can target up to 3 monsters on the field and equip it to this card (max. 3). You can send 1 card equipped to this card to the GY, then send all other cards from the field to the GY, except card(s) equipped to this card. If this face-up card would be removed from the field. you can send 1 monster equipped to this card to the GY instead. If this card has no card equipped to it (Quick Effect): You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; equip that target to this card. You can only use each effect of "True Overlord Ersatz Harbringer of All Ending" once per turn.

Hey again all, I felt inspired today so I created these cards. The concept of it simple, the dragon has 2 heads, the actual head is used to battle foes while the "head" in it's stomach is used to consume the corpse and the soul of the dead foes (Equip 1 monster opponent controls). After consuming it, the dragon can use the consumed soul to protect itself (Send the equipped mosnter instead of being destroyed) or to harm others (Send the equipped monster to send 1 monster on the field to the GY), it's a choice. And that's what I applied here, do you want to use it to protect itself or to destroy others?

-----08/09/2021-----

ORIGINAL CARD                                           RETRAIN CARDS

GigaTechWolf-MRD-EN-C-UE.webp.a7698b468dc158e13ae48ec523abd2dc.webp          ec7a5ba3e731.jpg

Giga-Tech Alpha King Wolf

FIRE/Rank 4

Machine/Xyz/Effect

3 Level 4 monsters
During either player's Battle Phase, double this card's ATK. When this card destroys a monster by battle: Inflict damage to your opponent equal to the ATK of that monster. If this face-up card would be removed from the field (Quick Effect), you can detach 1 material from this card instead. If this card has no material (Quick Effect): You can target 1 monster this card destroys by battle in your opponent's GY, attach it to this card as material.

Hey all, I'm going to get busy for a moment, so I thought why I don't post one more. The concept for the retrain is simple, "how to make it as powerful (as in strength) as a beast can be?" since the lore said it could penetrate any armor with it's fangs. So what I came up with is doubling the ATK during the BP, inflicting damage, and also capable of defending itself by detaching 1 material and also attaching 1 from the monster it destroyed while this card has no material.

-----04/09/2021-----

611TrBswYvL._AC_.jpg.c636d1bd67f406d061583d043aa97a4b.jpg          spacer.png

Five-Headed Supranatural Dragon

LIGHT/Link-5

Dragon/Link/Effect

5 monsters
When this card is Link Summoned: Place 5 Head Counters on it. Gains 1000 ATK for each Head Counter on it. During either player's turn, you can remove 1 Head Counter from this card, then banish 1 monster on the field with ATK less than the ATK of this card. Once per turn, you can Tribute monsters this card points to; place 1 Head Counter on this card for each Tributed monster (max. 5). There can only be 1 "Five-Headed Supranatural Dragon" on the field.

Yes, I'm aware Five-Headed Dragon isn't as "weak" as other cards I have created the retrain for, and yes, I'm also aware the existence of Five-Headed Link Dragon. But I saw this cool looking five headed dragon on what I assume a japanese video game site (https://www.4gamer.net/games/356/G035653/20161214058/) and a light bulb just went on in my head. The concept is this creature can launch one of it's "head" to attack the opponent (remove 1 Head Counter, banish 1 monster), but in can absorbs allied monsters to regrow another head in the end (tribute monsters this card points to to gain 1 Head Counter). The caveat is the fewer the head, the weaker it is (Gain ATK for every Head Counter & can only banish monster with fewer ATK than this card).

-----31/08/2021-----

spacer.png          spacer.png

Underworld Champion Dokurider

DARK/Rank 6

Zombie/Xyz/Effect

2 Level 6 monsters
Unaffected by activated effects in different columns than this card. Once per turn, you can detach 1 material from this card (Quick Effect): Move this card to an unoccupied Monster Zone, then send to the GY all cards your opponent controls in the same column as this card, and if you do, inflict damage to your opponent equal to this card's ATK. You can only use this effect of "Underworld Champion Dokurider" once per turn.

Easily, one of my favorite creation, there's so much backstory thinking about it and how I could incorporate it to the game. Okay, so for this card, the concept is Dokurider became the fastest racer in the underworld. When he's racing, he's so agile (able to move to different columns) and so fast, he obliterates everything in his path (send all cards to GY in the same column as him). When he's already going fast, he's unstoppable and the only way to stop him is to face him head on (unaffected by cards in different columns than this card).

-----24/08/2021-----

ORIGINAL CARDS

HeadlessKnight-DB1-EN-C-UE.webp.704348889ef6764ffc3768edf9bce8e6.webp   ArmoredZombie-SBLS-EN-C-1E.webp.ac7d1f8e472e21b779f4561c853a78b7.webp

RETRAIN CARDS

spacer.png     spacer.png

• Perfect Resurrection - Headless Knight (EARTH/Level 6)
    Fiend/Ritual/Effect
    ATK/2450 DEF/1450

Must first be Ritual Summoned with "Perfect Resurrection Ritual". If this card is in your GY: You can banish 1 Level 6 or higher monster from your field, then Special Summon this card. When this card is Special Summoned by its own effect: Gain 1000 ATK, also you can destroy all Spell and Traps your opponent controls. You can only use each effect of "Perfect Resurrection - Headless Knight" once per turn. (Text revised thanks to ITSUKOSOADO)

• Perfect Resurrection - Armored Warrior (DARK/Level 7)
    Zombie/Ritual/Effect
    ATK/2500 DEF/1500

Must first be Ritual Summoned with "Perfect Resurrection Ritual". If this card is in your GY: You can banish 1 Level 7 or higher monster from your field, then Special Summon this card. When this card is Special Summoned by its own effect: Gain 1000 ATK, also you can destroy all monsters your opponent controls. You can only use each effect of "Perfect Resurrection - Armored Warrior" once per turn. (Text revised thanks to ITSUKOSOADO)

The idea on the second batch is the originals weren't fully resurrected and thus cannot display their maximum strength so the question is "How strong would they be if they were resurrected perfectly?". For the effects, since they are perfectly resurrected, no matter how many times they are going to get killed, they are going to keep coming back afterwards and they will come back stronger and very very destructive.

-----22/08/2021-----

ORIGINAL CARDS

300px-TheSnakeHair-SBLS-EN-C-1E.png.8c7804479f1114a10313196c4cef04cd.png  MushroomMan-CP08-EN-C-UE.jpg.9999f8ad3e170fe6bbcd8091054a438a.jpg  Hurricail-DULI-EN-VG.thumb.png.dcd264d41187734f879f8ba3b3748f24.png

RETRAIN CARDS

spacer.png  spacer.png  b7cadd65c02c.jpg

• Serpent-Haired Goddess (DARK/Link-3)
    Zombie/Link/Effect
    ATK/1200

2+ monsters
    When this card is Link Summoned: Negate face-up monsters effects this card points to until the End Phase. Monsters this card points to cannot be Tributed, or used as material for a Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, or Link Summon. During your Main Phase, this card gains 500 ATK for each monster this card points to, until the End Phase of your opponent's turn. You can only Special Summon "Serpent-Haired Goddess" once per turn.

• Wrath of The Mushroom Man (EARTH/Link-3)
    Plant/Link/Effect
    ATK/600

2+ monsters
    When this card is Link Summoned: Negate face-up monsters effects this card points to until the End Phase. When a monster this card points to leaves the field: Inflict 800 damage to your opponent. During your Main Phase, this card gains 800 ATK for each monster this card points to, until the End Phase of your opponent's turn. You can only Special Summon "Wrath of The Mushroom Man" once per turn.

• Hurricailman (WIND/Link-3)
    Spellcaster/Link/Effect
    ATK/200

2+ monsters
    When this card is Link Summoned: Halve the ATK of face-up monsters this card points to, also negate their effects until the End Phase. During your Main Phase, this card gains 900 ATK for each monster this card points to, until the End Phase of your opponent's turn. You can only Special Summon "Hurricailman" once per turn.

The first batch's concept was simple, what if the originals become more demonic (and naturally become more humanoid).This 3 cards are similiar in ways that all of them are Link-3 with Effects that targets up to 3 opponent's monster in front of it and also gains ATK based on how many monsters are front of these cards (Max. 3).

• Nede changed the title to Experimental Retrain of Old Yugioh Cards! The Series (22/08/2021)

the direction you go here is rather unique, being a completely negative effects that meant to debuff opponent. it also has happy accident though, since the effects are fully negative it discourage easy Extra Linking

that being said its kinda tricky to play them, most link based deck can make Link 3-4 at ease but these guys have to compete with more advantageous Link 3s in the pool and being all negative and really inconvenient arrow position really hold them back. it also in a way are opponent dependent since you to take the maximum value out of it it has to summoned after opponent make boards and somehow leave the other Extra Monster Zone open, which kinda another problem against Link Based deck since their best card all clump up on the side of the board near the Extra Monster zone that already occupied with their own link monster 

that being said electric boogaloo, all of them simply negate stuff while gaining a tremendous amount of atk. though i find it weird that it has window in which its atk back to normal temporarily, i rather have them gain it permanently.

ranking from the best to the worst: Serpent-Hair, Hurricail, Mushrooman. serpent-hair simply the best since she shut down opponent stuff more brutally almost make the entire gimmick worth it . Hurricail has the best offensive option while helping your other monster to break boards. Mushroomman simply not worth it since unlike the other 2 it didnt do anything to repay the weakness i mention other than being the biggest beater with some burn

1 hour ago, Dokutah Jolly said:

that being said its kinda tricky to play them, most link based deck can make Link 3-4 at ease but these guys have to compete with more advantageous Link 3s in the pool and being all negative and really inconvenient arrow position really hold them back. it also in a way are opponent dependent since you to take the maximum value out of it it has to summoned after opponent make boards and somehow leave the other Extra Monster Zone open, which kinda another problem against Link Based deck since their best card all clump up on the side of the board near the Extra Monster zone that already occupied with their own link monster

True, it's very situational... When I first designed these cards, I envisioned it as some kind of a floodgate, punishment for the opponent swarming the fields.

that being said electric boogaloo, all of them simply negate stuff while gaining a tremendous amount of atk. though i find it weird that it has window in which its atk back to normal temporarily, i rather have them gain it permanently.

Several reasons, firstly the ATK of all the retrains is the DEF of all the originals, and they gain ATK equal to the ATK of the originals (except snake-hair)... I just wanted to pay homage to the original in some kind of way. Secondly, instead of gaining permanently, I could just erase that effect and just increase the ATK, but won't it be too high of an ATK for a generic link 3 mosnters having >2600 ATK?

ranking from the best to the worst: Serpent-Hair, Hurricail, Mushrooman. serpent-hair simply the best since she shut down opponent stuff more brutally almost make the entire gimmick worth it . Hurricail has the best offensive option while helping your other monster to break boards. Mushroomman simply not worth it since unlike the other 2 it didnt do anything to repay the weakness i mention other than being the biggest beater with some burn

I agree that the Snake Hair retrain is the strongest of them all but I thought Mushroom Man retrain is much stronger. Simplest example maybe, while Mushroom Man retrain on the field and my opponent at least have 3 monsters that the card points to... I can use Raigeki and inflict 2400 damage while clearing the boards. Also, I don't know if I mistyped the effect but the 2nd effect of the retrain of Snake Hair and Mushroom Man is continuous, so cards that Special Summon tokens or weak monsters on your opponent side to be destroyed and inflict 800 damage easily can be one of the playstyle.

12 hours ago, Dokutah Jolly said:

the direction you go here is rather unique, being a completely negative effects that meant to debuff opponent. it also has happy accident though, since the effects are fully negative it discourage easy Extra Linking

It reminded me of an Ojama strat to completely block off your opponent's board especially with snake hair.

• Nede changed the title to Experimental Retrain of Old Yugioh Cards! The Series (UPDATE: 24/08/2021)
13 hours ago, Nede said:

-----UPDATE: 24/08/2021-----

ORIGINAL CARDS

• Perfect Resurrection - Headless Knight (EARTH/Level 6)
    Fiend/Ritual/Effect
    ATK/2450 DEF/1700

Must first be ritual summoned with "Perfect Resurrection Ritual". If this card is in your GY: You can banish 1 Level 6 or higher monster from your field, then Special Summon this card. When this card is Special Summoned by its own effect: Gain 1000 ATK, also you can destroy all Spell and Traps your opponent controls. You can only use each effect of "Perfect Resurrection - Headless Knight" once per turn.

• Perfect Resurrection - Armored Warrior (DARK/Level 7)
    Zombie/Ritual/Effect
    ATK/2500 DEF/1500

Must first be ritual summoned with "Perfect Resurrection Ritual". If card is in your GY: You can banish 1 Level 7 or higher monster from your field, then Special Summon this card. When this card is Special Summoned by its own effect: Gain 1000 ATK, also you can destroy all monsters your opponent controls. You can only use each effect of "Perfect Resurrection - Armored Warrior" once per turn.

The idea on the second batch is the originals weren't fully resurrected and thus cannot display their maximum strength so the question is "How strong would they be if they were resurrected perfectly?". For the effects, since they are perfectly resurrected, no matter how many times they are going to get killed, they are going to keep coming back afterwards 

They didn't do this until I made a slight change (I think). Because once a ritual monster is revived I don't think it is treated as ritual summoned anymore.

and they will come back stronger and very very destructive

Ritual reoccurring Raigeki/harpies cool!

Before we begin, continuing from post ruling i mention in your ancient gear post there another reasons about "do not post cards in replies" ruling. As this thread will go longer and longer keep in mind is inconvinient for all user to scroll back-n-forth to review cards especially to those that only acccess this site on small mobile screen so its still preferable to to edit the original post with new content. Also if your concern about sparking discussion for each version of edits you can save the old prototype in spoiler tag

On 8/23/2021 at 9:32 PM, Nede said:

Several reasons, firstly the ATK of all the retrains is the DEF of all the originals, and they gain ATK equal to the ATK of the originals (except snake-hair)... I just wanted to pay homage to the original in some kind of way. Secondly, instead of gaining permanently, I could just erase that effect and just increase the ATK, but won't it be too high of an ATK for a generic link 3 mosnters having >2600 ATK?

Well given how situational the effects the high stat is justified. Also we already have Spectrum Supreme sitting at 3000

On 8/23/2021 at 9:32 PM, Nede said:

I agree that the Snake Hair retrain is the strongest of them all but I thought Mushroom Man retrain is much stronger. Simplest example maybe, while Mushroom Man retrain on the field and my opponent at least have 3 monsters that the card points to... I can use Raigeki and inflict 2400 damage while clearing the boards. Also, I don't know if I mistyped the effect but the 2nd effect of the retrain of Snake Hair and Mushroom Man is continuous, so cards that Special Summon tokens or weak monsters on your opponent side to be destroyed and inflict 800 damage easily can be one of the playstyle.

Because ultimately mushroom man is passive and again not actively hinder or dismantling opponent board. Also ojama trio blow-up strats is not really optimal much these days 

On to the rituals:

I dont think you need to mention "ritual summoned monster in GY" on the revival effect. Ritual by official ruling is already Nomi monster (and yes this is type of rulling that the details is either not fully mentioned on the card or written as condition rather than effect) and the thing about nomi monster is you cannot cheat it out like ever....with very rare exception if its from place they usually start with (in hand for ritual, extra deck for extra deck monster)

unique effect is pretty straight foward strong but not overbearing though. Nice job

13 minutes ago, Dokutah Jolly said:

Before we begin, continuing from post ruling i mention in your ancient gear post there another reasons about "do not post cards in replies" ruling. As this thread will go longer and longer keep in mind is inconvinient for all user to scroll back-n-forth to review cards especially to those that only acccess this site on small mobile screen so its still preferable to to edit the original post with new content. Also if your concern about sparking discussion for each version of edits you can save the old prototype in spoiler tag

Oh, sorry, should I just bump it then?

13 minutes ago, Dokutah Jolly said:

On to the rituals:

I dont think you need to mention "ritual summoned monster in GY" on the revival effect. Ritual by official ruling is already Nomi monster (and yes this is type of rulling that the details is either not fully mentioned on the card or written as condition rather than effect) and the thing about nomi monster is you cannot cheat it out like ever....with very rare exception if its from place they usually start with (in hand for ritual, extra deck for extra deck monster)

unique effect is pretty straight foward strong but not overbearing though. Nice job

Thanks! I didn't know about unwritten rulings, since the game pretty much usually explain everything in the card effect.

• Nede changed the title to Experimental Retrain of Old Yugioh Cards! The Series (UPDATE: 31/08/2021)
  • Nede changed the title to Experimental Retrain of Old Yugioh Cards! The Series (UPDATE: 04/09/2021: Five-Headed Dragon Retrain)
  • Nede changed the title to Experimental Retrain of Old Yugioh Cards! The Series (UPDATE: 08/09/2021: Giga-Tech Wolf Retrain)
6 hours ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

You probably know this, but 5 headed link dragon is a card

well he poster already aware if you read the design notes carefuly

on to the new stuff:

Dokurider: rank 6 is not exactly well supported so i guess putting a quite strong effect like this is justifiable 2900 body with immunity that can burn for 2900 and pop up to 2 cards is really good

Supra-natural FGD: the part during either player turn got updated by konami to "(Quick Effect)" so the correct ones is-

If this card is Link Summoned: Place 5 Head Counters on it. Gains 1000 ATK for each Head Counter on it. You can remove 1 Head Counter from this card (Quick Effect): banish 1 monster on the field with ATK less than the ATK of this card. Once per turn, you can Tribute monsters this card points to; place 1 Head Counter on this card for each Tributed monster (max. 5). There can only be 1 "Five-Headed Supranatural Dragon" on the field.

okay its a pretty hefty costed link needing exactly 5 monster and it came with some powerful effect. the banish effect is a quick, non-targeting, non-destruction removal. which is the strongest possible removal but what makes me doubt the balance a bit is the fact the effect dont came with OPT whatsoever so its actually able to be activated 5-6 times in the same turn with the first 3 removal guarantee to banish 3000+ stat. wait did i said six? yes its 6 since it able to refuel the removal on the same turn as well with the tribute effect.

as i mention before its not easy to get this out, but its not actually THAT hard to fully earn potential 6 selective banishes. remember that you can still use tokens for this

Wolf: it worries me there no OPT with all of its effects, it will always 4800 that immune to removal and can refuel said immunity with quick effect that double as GY disruption. sure its still vulnerable with effects that dont remove stuff but it has higher stat ceiling than most 3 mat rank 4 we have in the pool while still being generic 

10 hours ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

You probably know this, but 5 headed link dragon is a card

4 hours ago, Dokutah Jolly said:

well he poster already aware if you read the design notes carefuly

Thank you, someone actually read the notes

Dokurider: rank 6 is not exactly well supported so i guess putting a quite strong effect like this is justifiable 2900 body with immunity that can burn for 2900 and pop up to 2 cards is really good

Yeah, zone moving is a failed gimmick. But that's what makes it fun for me since I could make something super powerful 😁 Glad you like it!

Supra-natural FGD: the part during either player turn got updated by konami to "(Quick Effect)" so the correct ones is-

If this card is Link Summoned: Place 5 Head Counters on it. Gains 1000 ATK for each Head Counter on it. You can remove 1 Head Counter from this card (Quick Effect): banish 1 monster on the field with ATK less than the ATK of this card. Once per turn, you can Tribute monsters this card points to; place 1 Head Counter on this card for each Tributed monster (max. 5). There can only be 1 "Five-Headed Supranatural Dragon" on the field.

okay its a pretty hefty costed link needing exactly 5 monster and it came with some powerful effect. the banish effect is a quick, non-targeting, non-destruction removal. which is the strongest possible removal but what makes me doubt the balance a bit is the fact the effect dont came with OPT whatsoever so its actually able to be activated 5-6 times in the same turn with the first 3 removal guarantee to banish 3000+ stat. wait did i said six? yes its 6 since it able to refuel the removal on the same turn as well with the tribute effect.

I get what you're saying, but I was thinking using this card is very risky so it needs to have a huge payoff. First, I need to have 5 monsters on the field to summon it in the first place, and each effect used it becomes more weaker and less useful. And to make it strong and useful again, I need to atleast have 1 monster during the EP to be able to gain a counter again which is hard considering I already summon 5 monsters in that turn.

5 hours ago, Dokutah Jolly said:

Wolf: it worries me there no OPT with all of its effects, it will always 4800 that immune to removal and can refuel said immunity with quick effect that double as GY disruption. sure its still vulnerable with effects that dont remove stuff but it has higher stat ceiling than most 3 mat rank 4 we have in the pool while still being generic

Yep, I need help with this one. I think to make it more balanced it's either : A. the double ATK only activate during the player's turn so it can be attacked and make the 3rd more tolerable without the OPT. or B. Give the 3rd effect OPT. Which one is better or balanced in your opinion?

• Nede changed the title to Experimental Retrain of Old Yugioh Cards! The Series (UPDATE: 14/09/2021: Lv. 9 and Lv. 12 Upgrade of Wicked Dragon with the Ersatz Head)
  • Nede changed the title to Experimental Retrain of Old Yugioh Cards! The Series (UPDATE: 14/09/2021: Lv.9 and Lv.12 Upgrade of Wicked Dragon with the Ersatz Head)
  • 2 weeks later...

welp lets get to the Ersatz

in general (including your previous work) ngl it kinda bumb me a little that the original card completely not involved in the retrain gimmick. but to be fair, its understandable why you prefer not too (its kinda hard to support outdated normals these day lol) and it wont take the point out from my review either

the 1st evolution: ok thats kinda ridiculously strong for generic synchro. the equip effect is practically non-destruction removal that further fuel another non-destruction removal that even more stronger because it dont target while having protection for all kinds of removal in less favorable situation. this is were my above point become more than suggestion since it may balance the package a bit if the effects only apply if you use OG Ersatz  for material (heck some synchro now days have clause that allow them to use specific non-tuner monster as tuner)

2nd evolution: the mass removal effect kinda tolerable a bit since its send anything including your own board. but its still have same power problem as the 1st evolution and in dedicated deck the summon condition while takes more effort is not the hardest thing to do

Archived