Bamboo Sword/Kendo themed archetype [Written]

drowsyCoffee

This is, a weird one. Once again, much like with Imperials, this archetype is somewhat centered around flavoring, rather than necessarily on balance, given, y'know, the fact that trying to balance any deck that is playing Golden Bamboo Sword would be a nightmare as i would have to consider deck ratios and the likelihood of drawing specific cards out of it and comboing off right off the bat, which is something im not that interested in to be honest. Sounds like something for post-play testing drowsy to figure out. Still, lets go back to the flavor

The general idea is based around 4 different types of cards. First, there is your swordsman, of course, the intended target for all of your Bamboo Swords. Then, there is the stage for them to perform, a Dojo-themed field spell, and finally, both their armaments and their stances. The armaments are the Bamboo Swords, of course, and your stances are a series of five trap cards themed after the five different Kendo stances. The gameplay loop is centered around using Kendo Dojo, the Field spell, to "attract" a new person that might be interested in the hobby, which would be summoning your swordsman (Or, yknow, just NS it or add it off ROTA, that also works). Then, you equip them with a bunch of Bamboo Swords to get all the triggers ya need for the deck, representing them trying different variations of lenghts and weights within the aproved margins to see what adapts best to their own balance and the like. Essentially, it would be the training montage scene for our swordsman. In this process, the field spell adds a bunch of the different stances, as the swordsman through the training "learns" the basics of how each works in order to apply them. In a way, the opponents turn, where you get to use the different traps as interruptions, could be portrayed as some sort of competition the swordman has gone to after training, to close off the narrative there with the results of their matches, aka, how much they are able to stop their opponent, being the climax. That would be the whole inspiration and flavoring behind the cards. Now, into the cards themselves

Way of the Bamboo Sword

Field Spell

If you control no monsters: You can discard 1 "Bamboo Sword" or "Stance" card from your hand; add 1 "Hopeful Trainee" from your deck to your hand.

If a "Bamboo Sword" card is activated: Add 1 "Stance" card from your deck to your hand

You can only use each effect of "Way of the Bamboo Sword" Once per turn

You cannot have 2 or more monsters face up on your side of the field the turn you activate this card

So, since i kinda had troubles coming up with card names for a dojo that included "Bamboo Sword" to make this card a valid target for Trainee's effect and for Cursed Bamboo Sword, i decided to pull off a Tenyi and make a field spell that doesnt in any way sound like, well, a field. Oh well. Anyways, onto this card. The deck has kind of two ongoing themes for the conditions to activate effects on their cards, one that requires Trainee on field in order to do so, and the other that requires to have 1 or less monsters on field. Since this is kind of a starter to some degree, and part of its effect involves giving you access to a Trainee, i decided to just give it the monsters on field bit, and make it slightly  harsher than other cards by using it instead as a restriction to have this card be kind of the advantage you get over other posible variants of the deck by playing a pure variant/one that uses an archetype that doesnt use their summons that much. First eff is meant to give ya more access to Trainee, increasing the count of Trainee's on deck from 4 to 8 (Due to ROTA and Terraforming) for a bit of extra consistency. Plus, even if ya already have Trainee, ya can just, discard a Cursed or a Stance for their GY effs and add a Trainee for discard fodder, given that 2 of your main interruptions are quite advantage negative. Second effect is one of your 3 Stance searches per turn, and what you add out of it kinda changes your lines. Ideally, ya would preffer to use this card after Golden Sword-ing, but since this card is a mandatory eff, ya need to jump through quite  number of hoops to be able to do so, happening mostly on scenarios where you have drawn 2 Ways or start your combo without a Way on field. 

Hopeful Trainee

Level 4 / Effect

Earth / Warrior

1700 / 600

If this card is normal or special summoned: Send 1 "Bamboo Sword" card from your deck to the GY. 

You can tribute 1 "Bamboo Sword" card on the field; add 1 "Stance" card from your deck to your hand.

You can only use each effect of "Hopeful Trainee" once per turn

So, this card is the deck's main boi, the playmaker ya try to start all your combos with and that gets ya to all your interaction. In other words, this card is a massive chokepoint. Ogre-ing this card after the first effect activates, getting the dump Ash Bloosom'ed, getting a Droll used on either this or the Field spells effect, getting this card Imperm/Veiler-ed are all thing that either immediatly stop your turn or at least hurt your ceiling beyong measure. Playing a Designator package probably is close to mandatory, and thus pure variants of this might end up being stronger due to having more free deck space. You can play mixed variants that mess with other decks, but given that both Jōdan and Hassō have having less than 1 monster on field as their condition for activation, its kinda hard to find ways to play it. Ya can use it in decks that dont go into many monsters or do so during your opponent's turn, or that go into only one and just, get rid of the Trainee, but still ya need to have a good plan on how you are going to include other archetypes into a deck with this one in order for everything to work properly. The clause specifies "one or less face up", so maybe something like Guru would be a viable pick. Its best application outside those weird control examples would probably be on a warrior centric combo deck to get a Chūdan on field for targetting protection, but that's about it. In main variants, ya use it as a search through dumping a Cursed Bamboo Sword and triggering its GY eff, and then either add a Broken, Golden or Way based on the rest of your set up. As for example, if ya have a Golden Sword in hand, ya might wanna add a Broken Sword to plus off and then tribute it. The second effect is how you get to your Stances if ya dont draw them, more often than not, by tributing both your add out of Cursed and your Way, as this is the more likely scenario. Its important to note that Cursed Bamboo Sword GY eff is NOT a HOPT, and thus, set ups that hard draw it can be hella poweful as ya can get value out of both adding through the Foolish Burial eff and the Tribute for the second eff. An example of a line with it would be NS Trainee, effect on NS to dump Cursed from deck, Cursed eff on GY to add Golden, activate the hard drawn Cursed, activate Golden to draw 2, activate Way, tribute Cursed for a Stance, add Broken out of Cursed GY effect, activate Broke, trigger Way for a Stance and then finally tribute Broken for your last Stance Trainee's second eff got nerfed to a Once instead of a Twice per turn, because ya were really consistently making the best board posible the deck can output and that wasnt really intended

Trustworthy Defense, Chūdan Stance

Continuous Trap

While you control 1 or less face up monsters, monsters you control cannot be destroyed by battle or effects, also, if you control a face up "Hopeful Trainee", monsters you control cannot be targeted by your opponent with card effects

Target up to two "Stance" or "Bamboo Sword" cards in your GY with different names: Shuffle them back into the deck. You can only use this effect of "Trustworthy Defence, Chūdan Stance" once per turn

First of your trap cards, centered around the Chūdan stance, which is kind of your default stance to take. This stance in particular is mainly defensive, as it keeps you hands safe by keeping them close to your body while keeping your vitals safe by threatening any attacks to them with an attack of your own, as doing so would involve entering your strinking range. Thus, i've decided to make it kind of your general protection card. It's main job is for it to keep your Trainee on field so the secondary effs ya get stay turned on, which is particularly relevant in pure variants and for Gedan specifically. It also has a small recursion eff, mainly used to loop back cards like Cursed Bamboo Swords and the like, to kind of represent how the user of the stance manages to improve their overall grind game on a match by keeping a safe, non committal stance that doesnt cost them much effort to mantain, making so they take longer to tire

chudan.jpg.1c4c166faa46b9ba42c34976b2cee870.jpg

Sheer Willpower, Jōdan Stance

Normal Trap

If you control one or less face up monsters: you can discard up to 2 cards from your hand; send an equal number of cards on the field to the GY

If this card is in the GY, and you control a face up "Hopeful Trainee": You can shuffle this card into your deck

You can only us each effect of "Sheer Willpower, Jōdan Stance" once per turn

The Jōdan stance is an all in stance in which you keep your sword above your head, ready for an overhead swing, which is often used both for the intimidation factor of it and to try to exploit both the reach and speed advantage generated by strikes from it to compensate for how relatively exposed it leaves one for strikes. As such, i decided to picture as a card that consumes a lot of card advantage for a big effect, trying to repressent that all in offensive nature of it. In this case, it does so as a duo pop that consumes you a total of three cards, one being this card, and the other 2 being discards. This exists kind of to balance out the advantage generated by Golden Bamboo Sword, by having the deck have to consume all of it in order to be able to pay for their full interactions. The second effect is used to represent how the user of the stance manages to use this extreme offence to overwhelm their opponent and continue their push

jodan.thumb.jpg.64e67183d4e09e2f1adcadbe5334a279.jpg

Reactive Wall, Gedan Stance

Normal Trap

If your opponent activates a card effect that would destroy a card(s) on your field: pay 1000 lp; negate the activation, then destroy it

If this card is in the GY, and you control a face up "Hopeful Trainee": you can banish this card, target 1 card on the field; destroy it

You can only us each effect of "Reactive Wall, Gedan Stance" once per turn

The Gedan stance is somewhat similar to the Chūdan one, as a mainly defensive stance. However, it is held at a lower point, giving a false sensation of leaving one exposed to attacks, used to bait in attacks and centering a lot of its style around trying to create openings in the process of blocking to counter attack. In hema, its use would be similar to parries in which you attempt to slide your sword with a thrust to your opponents torso while pushing away their blade. So, i've decided to make the first effect, the one that protects your card, represent the parry half of the card, while having the second GY effect as the counter offense  half of the card. This is not the only negate this deck has, competing with Hassō for that spot. Hassō isnt a conditional negate, instead being a regular omni negate. To compensate for it, Gedan in exchange for only being a negate to protect from destruction effects costs less advantage to play, and has a GY effect that has more immediate impact of the board. Which ya preffer, if not both, is up to ya

gedan.jpg.8b77c322533f31c5c4dfcd75508fc830.jpg

Flexible Offense, Hassō Stance

Counter Trap

If your opponent activates a card effect while you control 1 or less face up monsters: discard 1 card; negate the activation, then destroy it

If this card is in your GY while you control 1 or less face up monsters: banish this card; for the rest of the turn, monsters you control gain 1400 ATK

You can only us each effect of "Flexible Offense, Hassō Stance" once per turn

Then, we've got the card i've just mentioned, the Hassō stance. This stance holds its sword high, slighly fowards of the body, while keeping the left foot in front, giving a wide array of movement options to respond  while still keeping enough reach and a good position to strike for it to be an offensive stance. I decided to play it as the deck's negate, playing it as the user making use of the overall versatility of the stance to react and outmanouver their opponent and thus render their advances fruitless. This card compensates the advantages it gets over Gedan by both requiring a discard to negate and also by having an effect on GY that doesnt immediatly generate you an advantage during your opponent's turn. Still, quite a good discard out of Way, as you can use it for Cursed sword shenanigans or just to add another stance if you already have a Hassō, or would preffer another one of your interactions This bit has been moved to Waki instead

hasso.thumb.jpg.f9b8ea663df884cc95be605d9c85918d.jpg

Hidden Tactic, Waki Stance

Normal Trap

If you control a face up "Hopeful Trainee": Set 1 "Stance" card directly from your deck, except "Hidden Tactic, Waki Stance", also it can be activated this turn

If this card is in you GY while you control a face up "Hopeful Trainee": you can banish this card; add 1 "Stance" card from your deck to your hand

You can only us each effect of "Hidden Tactic, Waki Stance" once per turn

And finally, Waki. Waki is kind of what we often see depicted as "Iai stance" in media, a stance were one presents the pommel of the sword to your opponent but keeps the blade hidden from them by obscuring it with your body. It was traditionally used mainly for bluffing and to catch opponents unprepared, as one both manages to hide the direction the blade is facing, thus making harder for your opponent to get a read of where you intend to attack, and also to conceal the lenght of your blade, something that was more relevant before standardized blades became a thing. Thus, i decided to have it be a card that allows you to switch into other stances, as it was the closest i could get to that mindgame-y effect of concealing your information from your opponent. The ATK boost exists mainly to help deal with one of the deck's problems, having a singular monster on field with low ATK. By using it, ya should be able to make the clocks this deck can produce a tad faster and help ya get rid of monsters without depending so much on Jōdan. Still, the deck still is terrible at hitting for lethal, and i wouldnt be surprised if ya had at some point to unironically use the Cursed effect to hit directly. Yikes Effect got moved from Waki to Hasso

waki.thumb.jpg.5ba71b81dc97d414342268ca66843853.jpg

So, that all in all is the deck. Your whole gamplay loop is centered around manging a few of your Bamboo Swords to earn the advantage to fuel your traps, the pick the three ones you believe will fit you best in the scenario, based on your hand and what you think/know are playing against, to build your board, as you only have up to 3 guaranteed stances. If ya highroll, which could be protrayed as the swordman in question having more or less talent, ya might be able to squeeze a fourth, or maybe even a full house, not like anything above 4 matters that much though. The playstyle through the duel will vary based on your picks, trying to resemble how the own particular personality of the swordsman shaped their own fighting style with their own ups and downs. As for example, if ya got a Chūdan and a Gedan because you're playing against a going second deck, ya might much like someone with an overly defensive mindset find yourself lacking enough interactions. Ignoring that bit of flavoring, i must say that while the boards this deck can output and the plusses they get are kinda mean, their overall fragility to handtraps and lack of ways to play going second should compensate for it. Hope ya liked this one, it has been kind of a blast to mix two hobbies of mine. And sorry in advance if any of this info is incorrect, most of what i know and most of what i've studied around real medieval combat was more centered around weapons specifically and hema, so oriental martial arts are a tad outside my comfort zone and most of what i've written here is less of something i've seen in action but more of something i've read the theory of

I'll probably post some updates post-playtesting

1953447638_deckidea.png.07396c13a422e6c5ae2fbd5daa419a00.png

This is more or less the deck ratios i've thought of so far, based on the idea that Hasso is always good to draw due to the eff in GY, Waki being any card you want, Jodan being self looping and the Chudan and Gedan being kind of reactive cards that you get only when you know you'll need them. The rest is all just to ensure ya get Trainee, specially the Duality (Kinda worrying the deck can play the card no problem whatsoever ngl) and then some protection to ensure that your normal summoned Trainee resolves. Dont know if the Duality is too much or if the Broken Bamboo Sword is necessary at 3 instead of 2/1. Might be able to cram a few more handtraps there, like, have 3 ash 3 imperm 2 droll (Given that droll can be a miss somewhat often in the custom metagame) if ya make those cuts, dont know which would be better. The only reason im not packing here an Ogre is because it doesnt see that much play. I also just noticed, i forgot to shove in a Gamma, brb

That's about my ideas for the list, if ya have any good recommendations for tech cards, please do so, i'll be playtesting the deck a bit

Just one test hand and im already considering bumping the HTPT to a HOPT. In my defense, i triggered Cursed and Golden 2 times each. Still, uhh, Houston we might have a problem

Next hand, i get what i think might be the worst posible hand and Hasso pass. This game just, really loves contradicting me doesnt it?

1410203628_Sinttulo.png.307dd0fee6138a607d68f39aaa1f90fd.png

Yeah no f*ck that, Cursed Sword starts are too good and on a deck with both Dispartiy and Duality they are going to happen really often, Trainee def needs to be a HOPT, my bad i f*cked that one kinda badly

To no one's surprise, the deck that got to play 3 Duality 3 Prosperity was really consistent. Who could have posibly thought. Also, that one time i super highrolled and got to trigger 2 Cursed Bamboo Sword 3 Golden Bamboo Sword felt kind of amazing. Unironically, the 4 (Technically 5 since im playing 1 Gamma, but i dont play driver for obvious reasons) Designator targets were kinda nutty, as i kept drawing them and having them as live interaction options

Deck still works with Trainee as a HOPT, it just ends somewhat often in hands were it doesnt have enough cards in hand to trigger all effects like ending up only on a Jodan for 1, or in hands were it has just barely enough cards to discard but those cards are handtraps and you are presented with the tough choice between using them as discard fodder or as interruptions. Feels a lot more balanced. Still, every time i get a Cursed Bamboo Sword out of a Pot i feel my serotonin levels skyrocket. Ya can brick too, ya still need to have a Trainee on all games, and there aremurky hands like, 2 traps, a called by and 2 of your designator targets that do absolutely nothing. The deck's combos also are quite fast to play, which is a nice bonus on customs were if ya take any time at all people get hella angry at ya, even if your end board does absolutely nothing. Kinda really liking this one

I feel like Hasso's and Waki's GY effects should be swapped the other way around, as it is, Hasso is far too much of a power play when drawn/added and can make the deck feel a tad scummy on some matches. On other news, the amount of times just having a face up Chudan after grinding out the opponent's first hand down was quite high, the card feels amazing. I also kinda misplayed a lot during, like forgetting that Jodan doesnt trigger destruction float effs. Oh well

The worst choke so far was playing the deck on a TAG duel of all things. I during turn 3 thought my whole turn had been ilegal since my partner had put a monster on field, but thank god he had T-setted passed and mid way through saying "wait i fucked up" i realised the cards say one or less FACE UP monsters. That could have been quite a big chet. Still, please dont be like me, please dont play this on a TAG duel, its a terrible idea unless your partner is playing exactly Guru/Ghostrick

Also, this deck has a surprising amount of terrible hands. I'll playtest a bit more and mess with the lists, but if ya had any ideas for good cards that could get to Trainee as starters, i would love to hear it

https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=868939-33105614

Man, this deck's grind game is actually p good, Jodan's eff to shuffle itself comes up way more often than you'd expect. Plus, drawing Cursed Swords latter feels good. As a side note, midway through i realised i forgot to swap around Hasso and Waki's gy effs, and since i felt scummy using em i decided to for the rest of the duel try to not activate em

Also, due to the strenght of a late game Cursed Bamboo Sword, changed Waki's GY eff to only search Stances

1 hour ago, Loleo said:

Why is reactive wall not a counter trap?

Why it must be a counter trap? The only reason i can grasp is balance-wise, so that it can still be negated/disrupted with SS2 effects, otherwise as counter trap, can only be chained with another counter traps, narrowing the list of cards that can answer. Also i think its better that way.

1 hour ago, Loleo said:

What real plays does this deck have except draw power? (and maybe stall?)

Bamboo as a strong draw-engine, yes, with that, gathering all of your "stance" cards as fast as possible, fully acquired, then Mr. Trainee here is a one-man army.

Since i already here, might as well review it . . . .

Way of the Bamboo Sword

Field that does everything, yeah good stuff.

Hopeful Trainee

Mr. Trainee here that one day, he is a force to be reckoned with 😅

Yeah mill cursed, add bamboo. I prefer that this card, instead of tributing, sending/destroying bamboo then add stance, so that it doesnt hurt badly upon negation effects (-1), whilst also lorewise, as if he is training hard enough with the bamboo sword, until it is broken, then he/she learned 1 stance.

Trustworthy Defense, Chūdan Stance

Best described as absolute defense, and your way to go to recover from GY due to super draw of bamboo sword. Also, "While you control 1 or less face up monsters", i mean, is there a reason word "less" being here? like 1 is the minimal monster you can control, so i think best worded as "While you control (exactly) 1 face-up monster"

Strong removal, non target non destruction, if Mr. Trainee is around, can self recover.

This is where i am confused with, yes strong effects, and strong drawback upon being negated (-2 for a full cost), was thinking the discard were part of effect instead of cost, while also making it target too to weaken it, so it doesnt have a huge payback, but still works as a useful removal, able to bypass protection in a single trap, and with that multiple removal, also a chance being well, maybe abused to certain decks (idk maybe sky striker, and those mystic mine deck? and yes mystic mine, will be explained later on). The way of now looks balanced on paper, but it still leaves me with a weird feeling that "it feels wrong for" lol.

My body as a shield, season 2. GY effect needs a nerf imo. Its another non target removal, yes it destroy, but we already have Jōdan Stance, and at that this card doesnt have any cost (banishing itself alone is hardly a cost), my suggestion is making it target then destroy, or if you still want it to be non target that badly, make an additional cost that redeem it fitting for that effect.

Omni negation, buff GY effect, i am worried this card is the most potentially abusable in certain decks, i know probably only you or few people use this deck realistically, but i need to remind you that TCG/OCG pool exist, in case you are making this for a real custom tourney/server/banlist. Making the omni negation having the Mr. Trainee as the condition might save it from the abuse. But again, i prefer if you split monster negation with s/t negation, 1) doesnt feel lazy, design wise 2) actually makes you think twice to search for the right card at the right moment against the right opponent, becoming a skill deck/play.

Slow searcher, but good at that, potential +1 we are talking here. Yeah good stuff.

I was expecting a silly or badly written customs but wow, it actually good. I always wondered why bamboo sword exist, who wields it, why it has so many swords, now you answer it better.

Funny interaction with Metaverse > Mystic Mine, or Mystic Mine alone overall, like Stance already control the enemy + strong protection, then provided with opponent unable to attack nor activate monster effects, how awesome is that 🤣

The scary part is that, even if Mr. Trainee being Kaiju'd, it doesnt hinder that much since the Stance traps overall has generic conditions, its both good and can be scary, but for now, i think thats fine, but if that somehow creates an issue where this archetype is hardly being countered, be sure to make it non generic.

All are well made imo, even the information regarding the stance and stuff, probably wording/psct can be written better (i dont want to nitpick that).

EDIT: oh boy, spoiler just broke

3 hours ago, Loleo said:

2 questions:

Why is reactive wall not a counter trap?

What real plays does this deck have except draw power? (and maybe stall?)

In practice? Ya kinda loop Jodan 3 turns in a row, using searches both to add it to hand and get cards to use as discard fodder for it (Ya can consistently pop 2 cards with it each turn), and reach a simplified gamestate where a Trainee under Chodan protection is not something that can quite be removed from the field (Have in mind that latter on the match Trainee under Chodan is pretty much a 3100 atk towers. If ya drain enough resources through Hasso and Jodan spam, it is kind of hard to deal). Or, y'know, add Hasso a bunch of times. As for why Reactive isnt a counter trap i-

I forgor

Mb there

First of all, sorry for taking a while, we're having a huge storm here and internet has taken quite a blow. Hey, at least i had more time to properly think my response lol. If i were to summarize my response in just one sentence, id say yer kind of overestimating a lot of these cards

9 hours ago, Kanashimi said:

Way of the Bamboo Sword

Field that does everything, yeah good stuff.

P much yeah. Important to note, though, that this card can be quite miserable if drawn outside turn 1. After all, ya wont be able to trigger the eff to add a Trainee, and ya arent ensured a Bamboo Sword line to generate advantage from. Given that this deck eats through advantage like crazy, discarding for cost around 3 cards per turn (To the point where a lot of your searches end up being discard fodder), a lot of the time ya simply cannot afford to activate this card, as doing so without a Bamboo Sword in hand to trigger it would mean losing one of your turn pops, and overall end up as a "do nothing" card. Bit of a pain in the ass, innit?

Hopeful Trainee

Mr. Trainee here that one day, he is a force to be reckoned with 

Yeah mill cursed, add bamboo. I prefer that this card, instead of tributing, sending/destroying bamboo then add stance, so that it doesnt hurt badly upon negation effects (-1), whilst also lorewise, as if he is training hard enough with the bamboo sword, until it is broken, then he/she learned 1 stance.

I mean, every time they get hand trapped, ya immediatly perform a Designator/Called by check. If ya fail, that's it, that's game. Plus, the cards ya tribute either are doing nothing (A spent Way/a Way when you have a copy on hand, or a normal Bamboo sword) or actively plus you out of being Tributed (Cursed), so making so they remain on field when Trainee's eff doesnt get to resolve aint gonna solve the problem there, as they are at that point just wasted advantage. Either way, what killed you wasnt the tributed card, but missing part of your resource loop

Trustworthy Defense, Chūdan Stance

Best described as absolute defense, and your way to go to recover from GY due to super draw of bamboo sword. Also, "While you control 1 or less face up monsters", i mean, is there a reason word "less" being here? like 1 is the minimal monster you can control, so i think best worded as "While you control (exactly) 1 face-up monster"

True, Chudan is kind of the decks wincon in the end, it kinda just devolves into just grind down the opponent until a Towers Trainee is far too much for them to deal with. Plus, Chudan is part of your main resource loop, of shuffling back spent Hassos and the like alongside Curseds so ya can try to add them back to hand or dig them through a Pot of Prosperity. The whole "one or less" clause is meant to trigger if ya have an empty board, to make hands without Trainee access even slightly less miserable, but im almost certain it is worded incorrectly, i just couldnt remember a card with a similar clause to grab the correct PSCT from tbh

Strong removal, non target non destruction, if Mr. Trainee is around, can self recover.

This is where i am confused with, yes strong effects, and strong drawback upon being negated (-2 for a full cost), was thinking the discard were part of effect instead of cost, while also making it target too to weaken it, so it doesnt have a huge payback, but still works as a useful removal, able to bypass protection in a single trap, and with that multiple removal, also a chance being well, maybe abused to certain decks (idk maybe sky striker, and those mystic mine deck? and yes mystic mine, will be explained later on). The way of now looks balanced on paper, but it still leaves me with a weird feeling that "it feels wrong for" lol.

I mean, the deck has a singular beater, and capped at 3100. Jodan being non-targetting non-destruction removal is the only thing keeping the deck from needing to play Kaijus (Thus, further increasing your bricks and reducing your Designator package, both things crippling to this deck) in order to not be immediatly swarmed by pretty much every single boss monster in yugioh. Without it as is, a board with 2 destruction immune dudes or a singular Dragoon would probably be GG for the deck, so im feeling recluctant to nerf it that way. On the other hand, given that most S/T negators destroy in cards, and thus, can be blocked by Gedan, in order for this to be negated and ya to be punished with the 2 discards for nothing, your opponent would have to have 3 or more negates first turn (Or 2 after that where you're just Hasso Jodan looping), and at that point, they kinda deserve to punish ya that roughly ngl

My body as a shield, season 2. GY effect needs a nerf imo. Its another non target removal, yes it destroy, but we already have Jōdan Stance, and at that this card doesnt have any cost (banishing itself alone is hardly a cost), my suggestion is making it target then destroy, or if you still want it to be non target that badly, make an additional cost that redeem it fitting for that effect.

To be honest, the only reason why this card doesnt target is because i forgot to make it do so, the intended use of this card is less to be removal and more to be a way to catch up in advantage in scenarios where ya just couldnt afford to pay a Hasso and had to opt for this less advantage-intensive card, and it doesnt need to be non targetting to do that tbh

Omni negation, buff GY effect, i am worried this card is the most potentially abusable in certain decks, i know probably only you or few people use this deck realistically, but i need to remind you that TCG/OCG pool exist, in case you are making this for a real custom tourney/server/banlist. Making the omni negation having the Mr. Trainee as the condition might save it from the abuse. But again, i prefer if you split monster negation with s/t negation, 1) doesnt feel lazy, design wise 2) actually makes you think twice to search for the right card at the right moment against the right opponent, becoming a skill deck/play.

Nah, this card aint seeing use outside of pure Bamboo or maybe like, Fifty-fifty variants (And whatever ya decide to cram alongside the Bamboo engine, it better improve yer ceiling, because given that the alternative is the two Pots and the Designator package, it needs to do a lot to be as good as that). After all, small engines for this archetype dont do anything mainly  due to the TCG/OCG pool including better alternatives. First of all, the fact that both Hasso and Jodan require 1 monster or less on field to be able to trigger completely ruins any interest a combo deck might have in jamming this in, after all, between chosing to use a Trainee package to squeeze out a negate but have that as the ceiling of their board, or, y'know, just making an actual board, the latter feels better. So, going with the idea of playing this in Control, there is no chance your Trainee package is gonna trigger out of Trainee being SSed, yer gonna have to NS. Now, the bare minimum to access a line ending on Hasso on field (Or a Jodan if yer into that) would be a line that NS Trainee, and requires 3 Trainee on deck, a Cursed Bamboo Sword to dump out of the NS, a Broken Bamboo Sword to add and tribute for Trainee's second eff, and of course, the Hasso. Think for a second. 6 card minimum engine, that consumes your NS for an omni negate that requires a discard. Where have i heard that before? Yeah, a small Trainee package is just a makeshift, worse Aleister the Invoker. Plus, unlike Invoked set ups, ya dont keep the negator for next turn nor do you recycle the NSed guy, and your negator floodgates you as you cant trigger them if ya have above a certain monster count. The fact that you're vulnerable to even more handtraps that Aleister dodges just adds insult to injury. Sure, ya could go Jodan instead, but that would just be a worse Dogmatika package. There are just plain better alternatives out there than using any Bamboo package smaller that 20ish cards (That's where ya begin to be able of performing things such as looping Hasso Jodan every turn or abuse Cursed and Golden swords). Plus, the decks that can deal with the single face up restriction (Guru, Striker, Zoo) have cards that compete with Trainee for the NS, and the ones that dont (Eldlich) need to actively spend part of their combo getting rid out of their own field to fulfill the activation requirements. Its just, not happening. Plus, one thing that all the decks ive mentioned have in common is, that they just suck ass right now. Ya could technically play this -1 omni negate without a package to search it, but why do so instead of playing some Solemns? There just isnt any niche for this to fulfill outside pure/fifty-fifty variant tbh

Slow searcher, but good at that, potential +1 we are talking here. Yeah good stuff.

Agreed, Waki is p much one of the best cards in the deck. Your main resource loop consists of shuffling back your spent interactions and then adding em to hand with Waki's GY eff. This card is an amazing piece of discard fodder, and the deck really appreciates it

I was expecting a silly or badly written customs but wow, it actually good. I always wondered why bamboo sword exist, who wields it, why it has so many swords, now you answer it better.

Funny interaction with Metaverse > Mystic Mine, or Mystic Mine alone overall, like Stance already control the enemy + strong protection, then provided with opponent unable to attack nor activate monster effects, how awesome is that 

The scary part is that, even if Mr. Trainee being Kaiju'd, it doesnt hinder that much since the Stance traps overall has generic conditions, its both good and can be scary, but for now, i think thats fine, but if that somehow creates an issue where this archetype is hardly being countered, be sure to make it non generic.

All are well made imo, even the information regarding the stance and stuff, probably wording/psct can be written better (i dont want to nitpick that).

EDIT: oh boy, spoiler just broke

I kinda agree on Mystic Mine being problematic with this deck, all in all, past your first combo ya dont really care about Trainee's effects tbh (Other than using it to turn Bamboo Swords into Stances, but that is kind of a fair trade off for having Mystic Mine on field, specially given that ya can just save the swords). Still, though, unlike other Mystic Mine abusers, it like Zoo, it isnt like this deck is gonna pop the Mine, suddenly summon Vespenado and immediatly OTK someone. It just, doesnt quite have any ability to threaten LPs p much. So, even if Mine would be annoying to deal with against this deck, ya wouldnt really be preparing yourself for a big push out of it, you would just buy some time for your opponent to draw their out to this card. The fact that all the outs to Mine also out Chodan (Feather Duster, Storm, or god forbid, Cosmic Cyclone) aint helping either. It is a card that works well with the archetype, specially to help it cope with going second, but it isnt the broken mess it has been in other decks like Zoo tbh. Ya just, cant really archieve that much with the time bought by the lockdown. I mean, playing this deck i had more than once to non ironically use Cursed Bamboo Sword's first eff to attack directly in order to be able to threaten LP. Your offensive capabilities are just, that bad

On the other hand, though it doesnt look that much like it, Kaijus kind of obliterate this deck funnily enough. Its kind of hard to get rid of them in a way that leaves only a Trainee on field afterwards, as linking them off to have only the link on field wouldnt leave a Trainee on field, just NSing a Trainee would turn of all your interactions, and having to Jodan a singular Kaiju to then be able of NSing Trainee is miserable. They also turn off your ability to search Trainee with Way (Since ya control a monster) unlike other forms of removal, which is hella annoying. As for why not having a Trainee on field matters, well, without Trainee ya cant Waki, and ya cant tribute Bamboo Swords for Stances (Though you can use em to trigger Way. Still, as i said at the start of this, Way is kind of unreliable at best), which means that your resource loop of shuffling back your interactions and using your searches to set them back gets completely stopped on its tracks. Still, way better than doing so is, well, just threatning the Chodan itself. By doing so, ya force the Gedan activation (Or worse, if they dont have it, the Hasso), and make it easier to grind them out. Specially on latter turns, it is really easy for a Duster or the like to just immediatly force a Hasso and give you free reign to attempt an OTK. Cosmic Cyclone is even worse, as well as Shuraigh, since ya cant Gedan those guys, given that Gedan only protects from destruction, not banishes. Zeus sending to GY also archieves the same thing. In general, the current meta is full of cards that can kinda screw this deck. Between that and the general vulnerability to handtraps, i'd say it is rogue tier at best tbh

As for PSCT problems, man do i agree with this. Sorry for that, i just, am accustomed to a bunch of outdated clauses, like "your side of the field", and catch myself doing them from time to time. Plus, y'know, im not that knowledgeable all in all, so sometimes i have to improvise a clause even though there already exist a much cleaner, official way to write the same effect. Oh well

Archived