card ideas

Tr4gic

Question

1 answer to this question

well, i could give you some card ideas i have myself, but i think it will be more useful in the long run to provide how i come up with the ideas. it's like a "giving a man a fish vs teaching him how to fish" situation to me here, but;

i haven't made many cards since covid shut down my locals, so idk what's going on in the current YGO meta, and if that's something you wnat to keep in mind i can't help you there. but if you wanna make cards for the fun of it - why i came here in the first place - then here's what i often do; 

i'll look back at a deck i used to play, and perhaps see how i can make a card that supports it or counters the main function of the deck (e.g. a anti-banishing card to counter chaos dragons): if the latter, i often try and see how i can balance the card out so it isn't completely overpowered, unless the card's function is too niche for that to be a worry.

another thing i like to do is look at a banned or otherwise broken card, and see how its main function can be balances to not be ridiculous (e.g. "reckless greed" is like a trap version of "pot of greed" except it takes away 2 draw phases as a drawback).

i can't think of much else right now, but hopefully the others here will be able to help. in the meantime, happy cardmaking, we'd be happy to see what you come up with. :)

Archived