SCOTUS decisions, etc. (megathread)

cr47t

so the roe v wade overturn thread seems to have run its course and now there's a new controversy of the day (whatever it may be), but between justices calling for more rollbacks in a similar ideological vein, as well as today's ruling hitting the EPA's scope of authority, i think a longterm thread for discussing SCOTUS decisions is merited.

=======

my take on the EPA ruling and implications - i think this is bullshit simply because with it SCOTUS is starting to branch out of its constitutional purpose of interpreting law, and taking up the mantle of deciding policy (limits, but still policy) of other government sectors. that and the clarence thomas decision mentioned above indicate a rogue SCOTUS, abusing its power to take a fringe minority of views into national law in process that is out of reach of congress, the exec branch, and the voters who put people there to represent them and the rest of the country. (btw that's exactly what a 'deep state' is - where'd the fuss go?) at best this means SCOTUS will enter a period of making the law (not interpreting it) before the rogue court is checked and balanced; but where the situation's leaning towards due to inaction by other branches, it means that this same fringe will be able to just do what they wantand it would be certified as the law as they will effectively be the law through a rogue SCOTUS on their side, the worst case scenario of that being a rollback of democracy itself, given that the roe overturn effectively is an attack on privacy rights essential for freedom from government tyranny.

my take tl;dr = this is government overreach by the people who are meant to stop government overreach and it's clearly not gonna stop here

Archived