My New Top 5 Best Linux Distros (Ubuntu Based) for Beginners

Zamazenta the OS-Tan Fan

image.thumb.png.6f03007836dc86edcffb7b7d1d0a3b92.png

1.) KDE Neon

KDE Neon is a nice and fancy Linux Distro with a Desktop layout that looks similar to the Windows Desktop Layout if you come from a Windows Background KDE Neon features a Taskbar just like Windows.

Pros:

• It is highly customizable
  • It's Very Familiar for anyone coming from Microsoft Windows
  • Looks Nice and Modern

Cons:

• The Settings are hard to navigate and are cluttered at times
  • Sometimes Buggy and Breaks
  • The Taskbar has some bugs and weird wonky stuff (i.e if taskbar is overflown it doesn't act like Windows, floating taskbar doesn't stay a floating taskbar if you maximize a Window or it touches the taskbar.)

image.png.2673d910cd52ac8c86c2c78903083ff4.png

2.) Ubuntu MATE

An Ubuntu Flavor that ships with a Desktop Environment called "MATE" which is a fork of Gnome 2 but with modern elements anyone that remembers Gnome 2 remembers how good it was back in the day before the EVIL Gnome 3 came out anyways any that uses Ubuntu MATE will be met with the user friendlyness of the operating system and is customizable you can make it look like Vanilla Ubuntu, Windows, Mac OS, etc they give it to you straight up.

Pros:

• It is customizable
  • Is a Fork of the Gnome 2 Desktop Environment and contains Modern Libraries in its code to do Modern things
  • Looks Modern and Fresh but also looks legacy like

Cons:

• Has issues when it comes to external displays *I don't know this might have already been patched
  • Screen flicking *I don't know this might have already been patched
  • Has Snaps built-in into it

image.thumb.png.85f46a342369bb688b1b3dd84c3cf174.png

3.) Ubuntu Unity

So Today I've used Ubuntu Unity and I liked it quite a lot although I'm on Windows until the end of February or somewhere in March I can gladly appreciate change in my life from time to time and I really liked it Windows feels numb to me and this may not be my first choice when it comes to a Linux Distro but it ain't certainly not getting ignored either but I just want KDE Neon or back a couple of months ago this is a spoiler for what comes next its the Linux Distro that I made number 4 yeah Zorin OS I would have wanted to use it but when I was more exposed to Linux with Distros like Ubuntu MATE and Unity I wanted to give these a try instead these now have a higher Priority when I will think about installing a Linux Distro I'm so glad that a different developer this beloved DE after the Ubuntu Devs dropped support for it. But these two Distros Ubuntu MATE and Unity are pretty interchangeable with each other just like how Zorin OS and KDE Neon back when I first finally got to touch my first Linux Distros on a computer I was borrowing at the Time where they where tied with each other just like how these two our.

Pros:

• Interesting Desktop Environment
  • Looks Clean and Modern and has pretty colors
  • Can use the Ambience Theme to Become Skimporthotic Again

Cons:

• Uses Snaps
  • Has a small learning crave for new users who come from Windows its not a big deal
  • The Hud is unusable with cretin programs like (i.e Modern Versions Firefox, and some GTK 4 Software, and other Modern Software that doesn't use a Headerbar)

image.thumb.png.ec3321cbe09ad8bdbea381a6e82f5dc9.png

4.) Zorin OS

Man when I first layed my eyes on this Distro I really liked it at the time but now I think my taste in Linux Distros has changed though I still like KDE Neon it was one of my top 2 Distros tied with KDE Neon to become number 1 but now a days if you asked me my top 3 favorite Linux Distros are 1.) KDE Neon, 2/3.) Ubuntu MATE, and 2/3.) Ubuntu Unity however Zorin OS used to be number 1 or 2 for me because it was competing against my interest of KDE Neon considering how KDE Neon is a bleeding Desktop that comes out with new things every time Zorin OS is not it sure its pretty and beautiful but its stuck with Gnome 3 currently where at Zorin OS 16.2 for both the Core and Lite versions but maybe my mind will change when it revives its gnome 4X series UI upgrade in Zorin OS 17 which is said to be based on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS but man how did or was this number 1 or 2 and feel to a number 4?

Zorin OS I still like it alot but then again its no longer my first or second choice when it comes to installing a Linux Distro on this list but it is far better then Linux Mint it has a much prettier UI I just think Linux Mint just looks plain "Ugly" in this day and age Zorin OS wouldn't be Number 4 right now if it wasn't for my exposure of Ubuntu MATE and Ubuntu Unity but that doesn't mean I don't love this distro no more in fact I would use it as my daily driver if you gave me a laptop with it preinstalled on it.

But Man I didn't think my interest in Zorin OS would fall this hard would it but Zorin OS 17 comes out in April and I can't wait maybe it can get a higher spot next time like it used to 3 or 4 months ago.

But if you asked me what my favorite Distro was 3 or 4 months ago which was in 2022 I would say Zorin OS but now I think its kinda being put on the back burner of my interest for now in fact though it even if I lose more interest Zorin OS will always be on my Top 5 Linux Distos list.

Though I think this is a number 1, 2, or 3 within a top 3 Distros for Windows users who are just begging out on the Linux world.

Pros:

• Great for Beginners who are just coming from Windows like Windows 7, 8, and 10
  • Has a Nice Pretty and Modern User Interface which looks like the most Beautiful Thing more then Windows 11
  • Makes Great use of Gnome by heavily customizing it

Cons:

• Takes forever for a new version to come and upgrade and add new features
  • Still using Gnome 3
  • Uses Snaps just like Ubuntu MATE and Unity

image.thumb.png.827427bad29ccc22e66a419ae0174bf4.png

5.) Linux Mint

Linux Mint is an easy to use Ubuntu Linux Distro its also popular among beginnings such as Windows user but its not a distro that I would install.

Pros:

• Beginner Friendly and Looks kinda like old versions Windows
  • Stable Updates
  • Doesn't uses Snaps

Cons:

• UI feels outdated
  • The Icon Theme is either a Hit or a Miss but they mostly feel outdated
  • Doesn't work well on newer hardware

I mean, until now I've just used Ubuntu and Mint xD I can't rank all of these. For the super-duper general user, I believe is more about your specs/how much it looks like windows so it's easy to do stuff. Unless you want to change to a unix/linux environment, then I guess any of these would suffice (UI wise).

If you go into deeper stuff (it's a fork of x/y or uses x/y instead of z) I guess it's more for work/hobbist? people? unless you really need for legacy/modernity reasons (at my work we all use Ubuntu just because its faster/more reliable/easier to do whatever we do xP, but I have friends that use other distros)

3 hours ago, kyop said:

I mean, until now I've just used Ubuntu and Mint xD I can't rank all of these. For the super-duper general user, I believe is more about your specs/how much it looks like windows so it's easy to do stuff. Unless you want to change to a unix/linux environment, then I guess any of these would suffice (UI wise).

If you go into deeper stuff (it's a fork of x/y or uses x/y instead of z) I guess it's more for work/hobbist? people? unless you really need for legacy/modernity reasons (at my work we all use Ubuntu just because its faster/more reliable/easier to do whatever we do xP, but I have friends that use other distros)

True do you think @kyop Linux Mint looks outdated?

1 minute ago, kyop said:

I think it looks simple enough to understand what's going on xD and it's good thing it's not full of effects/transparency, it can save some power on older hardwares imo

@kyop Your right but would you ever try out different favors of Ubuntu like MATE or Unity?

Linux Mint just works better on older hardware cause that is what it is optimized for.

Also do you use WSL?

19 minutes ago, Zamazenta the OS-Tan Fan said:

@kyop Your right but would you ever try out different favors of Ubuntu like MATE or Unity?

Linux Mint just works better on older hardware cause that is what it is optimized for.

Also do you use WSL?

Only if needed, tbh xD if my ~support~ old computer wasn't a 10+ year old model, I'd probably put Ubuntu in it.

About the WSL, nop (I didn't even knew what it was, had to search xD)

Archived