Moonfang (Archetype/Wolves)

Just think wolves are cool and it's a missed opportunity that we still don't have an archetype around them (or I cannot recall an exclusive one).
I've combined this idea with another one - Gemini monsters that have alternative conditions for them to gain effects and restrictions that would allow them to use Normal Monster support - the Gemini we currently have are only treated as Normal while on the field and in the GY, so I experimented with those restrictions as well. 

TL;DR: Wolves that are less-clunky Gemini and named after metals & metal-forging/blacksmithing terms.

1_Silver.jpeg.d080d7a609fc2988471fea985b5dba32.jpeg
Moonfang Silver (DARK) Level 3 [Beast / Gemini / Effect ] ATK/1900 DEF/600
This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field, in your hand, Deck or GY.
While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can pay 600 LP to have it become an Effect Monster with this effect:
- This card can attack twice during each Battle Phase.
If this card attacks, it gains 300 ATK during the Damage Step only and 300 ATK ad the end of the Damage Step (permanently).

(He's basically a beatstick, but a double attacker, powers up during/after. becoming stronger after each fight.)

2_Gold.jpeg.411932778fd160627e2d1ea89437fce3.jpeg

Moonfang Gold (LIGHT) Level 4 [Beast / Gemini / Effect ] ATK/1500 DEF/500
This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field, in your hand, Deck or GY.
While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can pay 500 LP to have it become an Effect Monster with this effect:
- Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can target 1 Normal Monster you control and 1 Spell/Trap on the field; Destroy the targets, then draw 1 card and discard 1 card.

(A more ruthless wolf, that would sacrifice someone for his pack if there is a valid reason to do so,.. and would gladly benefit from the situation.)

3_Rust.jpeg.63e1f86ffdf75c3b31d46d1c571407bf.jpeg

Moonfang Rust (EARTH) Level 4 [Beast / Gemini / Effect ] ATK/1000 DEF/1000
While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can pay 1000 LP to have it become an Effect Monster with this effect:
- If your opponent activates a monster's effect (Quick Effect): You can target this card and your opponent's monster; Negate your opponent's effect and shuffle both targets to the Deck.

(A more scary wolf with a tragic past. He may look like wild ravenous beast, but his actions as impulsive and abrupt as they are, always benefit the pack.)

4_Unquenched.jpeg.bceb52d845e3ccfd47440249fde4236c.jpeg
Moonfang Unquenched (WATER) Level 5 [Beast / Gemini / Effect ] ATK/2500 DEF/800
While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can pay 800 LP to have it become an Effect Monster with this effect:
- If this card destroys a monster by battle; Inflict damage to your opponent equal to the ATK that destroyed monster had on the field and gain LP equal to half the damage inflicted.

(A malignant wolf with incomprehensible behavior and insatiable thirsts for blood. In truth however - he is possessed by a strong & evil spirit, totally eclipsing his once noble and protective nature.)

5_Anvil.jpeg.25bd6c2450ea23ef760500e233a6383f.jpeg
Moonfang Anvil (FIRE) Level 4 [Beast / Gemini / Effect ] ATK/800 DEF/400
While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can pay 800 LP to have it become an Effect Monster with this effect:
- Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 Beast Normal Monster from your hand or Deck (except "Moonfang Anvil"), then if that monster is a "Moonfang" monster, gain LP equal to its DEF.

(The eldest of the forest pack and first ever to forge a contract with the Moon, when he needed power to deal with a firey catastrophe threatening the entire gorge area.)

6_Forge.jpeg.435d18c9a96cf5d372b1bc854a0a6817.jpeg

Gorge Forge of the Moon (SPELL) [Field Spell]

When this card is activated; Add 1 "Moonfang" card from your Deck to your hand.

Once per turn, during your Main Phase 1, if you did not Summon/Set any monsters; You can pay 300 LP; Gain 1 additional Normal Summon this turn, but you can only Normal Summon Normal Monsters and cannot Special Summon monsters from your Extra Deck (even if this card is negated or leaves the field).

If this face-up card would be destroyed; You can Set this card instead.

(Wolves instinctively have been calling on the Moon - for blessing, for health, for strength and for the safety of their close ones. But a few chosen ones are given extraordinary power to be Moonfangs, alloy of metal and spirit giving them something more, while also taking something away.)

I hope these are interesting enough. Tell me if you have suggestions or ideas. 

Edited by Dramatic Crossroad
minor mistakes
  • Like 3

love the idea of expanding on the potential of gemini's, i've always felt there was more room for them to be mechanically interesting and actually playable outside of the odd tech pick. some of these, to my knowledge, need some minor rewording to be a bit less clunky to read but other than that i'm really into the different effects and gimmicks, if you wanted to dip your toes into alchemy a bit I'd suggest a platinum as a potential boss monster (since you already used silver, the metal of the moon), either as a fusion of gold and silver (the alchemical symbol for platinum is literally just the gold and silver symbols next to each other because it was believed to be a composite of the two) or a rank 3/4 Xyz, possibly one with a sort of reverse gemini effect that makes it a normal monster when it runs out of materials, maybe a level 1/2 "moonfang ore pup" that can SS one of the others either on death or by self sacing. spells/traps based on different chemical/alchemical process' involving metals would also be cool.

20 minutes ago, Dramatic Crossroad said:

While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can pay 600 LP to have it become an Effect Monster with this effect:
- This card can attack twice during each Battle Phase.
If this card attacks, it gains 300 ATK during the Damage Step only and 300 ATK ad the end of the Damage Step (permanently).

i like the idea but something about the wording on the second effect feels off to me, unfortunately no ideas on how to rework it

22 minutes ago, Dramatic Crossroad said:

While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can pay 500 LP to have it become an Effect Monster with this effect:
- Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can target 1 Normal Monster you control and 1 Spell/Trap on the field; Destroy the targets, then draw 1 card and discard 1 card.

Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can target 1 Normal Monster you control and 1 Spell/Trap on the field; Destroy both targets, then draw 1 card and discard 1 card.

23 minutes ago, Dramatic Crossroad said:

While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can pay 1000 LP to have it become an Effect Monster with this effect:
- If your opponent activates a monster's effect (Quick Effect): You can target this card and your opponent's monster; Negate your opponent's effect and shuffle both targets to the Deck.

When your opponent activates a monster effect you can (Quick Effect): target that monster; negate it's effect and shuffle that target and this card into their owners Decks.

26 minutes ago, Dramatic Crossroad said:

- If this card destroys a monster by battle; Inflict damage to your opponent equal to the ATK that destroyed monster had on the field and gain LP equal to half the damage inflicted.

If this card destroys a monster by battle; Inflict damage to your opponent equal to the destroyed monster's ATK and you gain that much LP.

29 minutes ago, Dramatic Crossroad said:

When this card is activated; Add 1 "Moonfang" card from your Deck to your hand.

Once per turn, during your Main Phase 1, if you did not Summon/Set any monsters; You can pay 300 LP; Gain 1 additional Normal Summon this turn, but you can only Normal Summon Normal Monsters and cannot Special Summon monsters from your Extra Deck (even if this card is negated or leaves the field).

If this face-up card would be destroyed; You can Set this card instead.

When this card is activated; Add 1 "Moonfang" card from your Deck to your hand. Once per turn, during your Main Phase 1, if you have not Summoned monsters this turn, you can pay 300 LP; Normal Summon one Normal Monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set, you cannot Summon monsters from your Extra Deck the turn you activate this effect. If this face-up card would be destroyed flip it facedown instead.

• Like 2

I always liked the idea of Gemini, but they were mishandled... and now it seems like Konami is letting them fade into the past as a failed experiment. Understandably.

I much prefer the route you took with them. It seems like a much more active deck, and I love that you have them count as Normal from the deck. Now they have Rescue Rabbit and Unexpected Dai plays :D

• Like 1