Role Models in YCM?

J-Max

It's come to my attention recently that people may be embracing "Trends" No, i'm not going into a rant but please let me explain. When I changed my name a month or 2 ago I thought it was special. "No-One would use the name Spirit!" I thought. But no..... Monks started it by changing to "Spirit of Brushfire" Yes I was honored by it but now I feel it was just a copy..... Then today I wake up to find ANOTHER Spirit "Spirit of Stardust" Seriously am I that special to some of you?

Then we move onto Pop Culture. Sure Pokevolution was never the first Pokemon set but lately there has been an explosion in sets. So I ask all of you. Do you class me as a Role Model? Also do you think anyone else on here you think of as a Role Model? Again this is not a rant, i'm just a little upset.

Guest JoshIcy

As ive said before on IM, you are not a forumite to me. But a friend, so your username generally escapes my mind and i think your irl name, thus i am unable to see why people would do this.

As for the poke'trend... You should have seen this coming, after all naruto was a big thing and now you come out with a set that can be simplified. As far as I see it this is a good thing, newbies now have a role model to watch and admire ^_^.

Personally speaking,I regard you as a friend.Your realistic cards serve as a inspiration for me to also do realistic cards more often.

Looking on the main issue,I think it's good that you could be a role model.You are 1 of the best members around here,excluding the mods & admin.This could help newbies to go on the right track & effectively reduce spamming & other offenses commited either by accident or with intent.

well if its strictly about role models, I have 2.

Glasstin10

Gphaku

Each member has helped me as a newbie and taught me almost everything I know about cardmaking, each great people that I can admire. Gphaku especially lol, she is a great friend and an Excellent Cardmaker. She says I'm better than her, but I personally think otherwise ^_^.

Other members I can see as helpful and great acquaintances, even friends. But compared to those 2, none shall be a greater role model ^_^.

Can't say I've been here for long enough to classify you as a role model. But, based on what I've seen all over the boards, a lot of people certainly admire you, as well as DJ Osiris. I've also seen people talking nostalgically for someone by the name of God Kaze.

=/ Really, do we need role models on the internet?

Can't say I've been here for long enough to classify you as a role model. But' date=' based on what I've seen all over the boards, a lot of people certainly admire you, as well as DJ Osiris. I've also seen people talking nostalgically for someone by the name of God Kaze.

[b']=/ Really, do we need role models on the internet?[/b]

No different irl. Except that you never see a face and dont have to worry about personal space lol... and what about admiring people in tv etc? You see a body but barely a person. Online you see a person and hardly a body....

If I was to name a few Role Models that inspired me to go on the first would be Darth Browarod. He's brought me back from the verge of leaving twice now. Icyblue has helped me with my Card Designing as well as Darth with the OCG. There are more but I can't think.

Yes I do believe if it is for the better good then you should regard someone as a Role Model if it inspires you to do well. But when you are copying the other person? You watch people are going to be using my Avatar and Sig soon. I bet 10 Rep on it....

Yes, I suppose I should have rephrased that. It is indeed a good thing to have someone to look up to/count on. What I meant was exactly the issue you're having BMG. I don't see why someone has to raise a "rolemodel" to the point of emulating everything they do.

Also, I think that if you are going to make a role model fo someone on the internet, you should just go about it carefully - after all, many lies circulate the information superhighway.

Yes' date=' I suppose I should have rephrased that. It is indeed a good thing to have someone to look up to/count on. What I meant was exactly the issue you're having BMG. I don't see why someone has to raise a "rolemodel" to the point of emulating everything they do.

Also, I think that if you are going to make a role model fo someone on the internet, you should just go about it carefully - after all, many lies circulate the information superhighway.

[/quote']

well, who would be people who's skills you'd like to surpass and learn from then?

Cardmaking, GFX, TCG or General would be valid lol...

I don't wanna be mean or anything, but I do find your opinion about yourself rather intriguing. In another thread you were worried that people were giving you high ratings because they liked you too much or were afraid to upset you. Now you think people are showing up with the name "Spirit" because of you, which may be true in some cases, but in most cases "Spirit" is simply an extremely common word for usernames because it sounds cool. Then you're worried people may be doing Pokemon cards because you made them? Pokemon is the most obvious Pop-Culture theme I can think of, alongside WWE.

So while some things may be connected to you somehow, like username tributes, I think most things aren't, and above all, regardless of how friendly you are, I think you should stop thinking everything that happens on this site is related to you in a way. Relax, people like you, but that's about it. No need to feel worshipped. ;)

*sigh* There's nothing wrong with wanting to do that, Icy. I'd describe that as more of a rivalry, not a role model relationship. I'm just saying that I agree with BMG. If you want to have someone as a role model, it's fine, but copying everything they do is longer using them as a role model as much as it is using them as a cheat sheet.

Archived