Jappio's Splicing Tutorial

I recomend paying better attention to some of the points and taking more time to look over your sprites. The first one isn't horrible, but 2nd gen splicing is rare so I'm not very familiar. The second one is also a rare type of splicing too. The recoloring on the 2nd needs some work though. You have both yellow and red mixed in, which just looks sloppy. It also is an uneven mix, it doesn't feel like a Charmander+Pikachu, it just looks like a Pikachu with a fiery tail.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Followed your Tutorial. Here's my 1st Pokemon Sprite!! But just to warn you, it doesn't really look like a Pokemon.

Color scheme was most out of the colors from Haunter and Manaphy, mainly Haunters purple shades and Manaphys blue.

Uses was pretty much Voltorb itself and the fusion of both Haunter's and Dusknoir's like tail, with Manaphy's antennas as tentacles.

V-H-M-D.png?t=1287707955

Oh god.... what's with the color?

The shading is all wrong on this splice first off. The solid dark purple everywhere, the blue outline, and the inconsistent light source are all screwy.

I really wish I knew how to recommend to fix it or to pinpoint your problem, but I really can't.

I just recommend forgetting what you did here and going over the tutorial again but more closely. Pay attention to the part that tells you how to recolor. I'm really trying to not say this to be mean.

Great tut, ive read it before. Btw jappio ive seen one of your youtube critique episodes, is this splice golemsplicebn8.png made by JG or master tortoise? because in your critique episode on youtube it said by master tortoise, but on the 2nd page of this topic JG says he did it? Who really did make it?

I think even the newbiest newbie at splicing could make great splices with this tutorial. I wish I would have had this tutorial when I started splicing. EXCELLENT TUT!!

Thanks.

hahahaha..maybe copied from the first page perhaps?

Oh god.... what's with the color?

The shading is all wrong on this splice first off. The solid dark purple everywhere, the blue outline, and the inconsistent light source are all screwy.

I really wish I knew how to recommend to fix it or to pinpoint your problem, but I really can't.

I just recommend forgetting what you did here and going over the tutorial again but more closely. Pay attention to the part that tells you how to recolor. I'm really trying to not say this to be mean.

I did know something was wrong when I was recoloring it, just didn't really understand that part at best. Thank you for the suggestions though. When I find the time, I'll look over the Tutorial again and post a new Sprite, and most likely forget about this first one I've made.

Brandon, although they use the same Pokemon and they are used in a similar way, I don't think they are by the same people. The Regi combinations are very overly done theme, so a lot of the time some do look similar. Looking closely at the two, I'm going to say there probably isn't form of theft or anything here.

However thanks for the attempt. It's good to know there are others out there trying to keep an eye out for theft.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here, my first splice...I call it Croplupwig - and its name is what I hate mostly about it...

Obviously, Crobat (Ears, tail, colour scheme)+ Piplup (Base)+ Turtwig (Head thingie)

splicecroplupwig.png

EDIT: Second Splice^^

Name: Herafernix

Heracross (Head thingie, hands, colour scheme)+ Monferno (Tail Fire)+ Steelix (Base)

spliceherafernix.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have finally done it. I have finished the spriting tutorial.

This is it, every video.

I will reiterate, you should watch all parts. The main meat I will admit are in parts 4 and 5, but useful information is in each, all of which can help you become a better spriter.

Scratching Tutorial

Part 1 - Intro

Part 2 - Concept and Planning

Part 3 - MS Paint Basics

Part 4 - Form and Line Art

Part 5 - Coloring and Shading

Part 6 - Finishing Touches and Posting

----------

Hopefully with this out of the way, I can go back to my casual spriting since this wont' be looming over my now.

What I see is Tyranitar with an upside down jet pack.

The issue you have is that it doesn't feel like something new or different. You added very little. Blastoise and what ever supplied the fire are under realized.

Small stuff too like gray in the fire, the cannons are crooked and not straight, the tail is upside down.

It doesn't do anything amazing, and small little errors just make it extra forgettable. I wish I could go into more detail, but there isn't much to go into at this point.

I have finally done it. I have finished the spriting tutorial.

This is it, every video.

I will reiterate, you should watch all parts. The main meat I will admit are in parts 4 and 5, but useful information is in each, all of which can help you become a better spriter.

Scratching Tutorial

Part 1 - Intro

Part 2 - Concept and Planning

Part 3 - MS Paint Basics

Part 4 - Form and Line Art

Part 5 - Coloring and Shading

Part 6 - Finishing Touches and Posting

----------

Hopefully with this out of the way, I can go back to my casual spriting since this wont' be looming over my now.

As said in my youtube comments, it didn't help me att all and made me all confused, but I enjoyed your voice :3

What I see is Tyranitar with an upside down jet pack.

The issue you have is that it doesn't feel like something new or different. You added very little. Blastoise and what ever supplied the fire are under realized.

Small stuff too like gray in the fire, the cannons are crooked and not straight, the tail is upside down.

It doesn't do anything amazing, and small little errors just make it extra forgettable. I wish I could go into more detail, but there isn't much to go into at this point.

Ok thanks for being honest, I wasn't that confident so I picked something that would go ok I guess..

I'll try and work up something more creative.

Archived