THE DARK ONE's Counter Fairy Monarchs

Earlier today, I had an inspiration to take advantage of Synthetic Seraphim's free fodder-providing in a Monarch deck. This is what I came up with. I wrote up the list rather quickly, so it's just a proto-type. I also suspect it to be rather largely unstable. So, tell me what you think.

Monsters: 19

2 Sky Scourge Invicil

2 Caius the Shadow Monarch

2 Thestalos the Firestorm Monarch

1 Raiza the Storm Monarch

3 Van-Dalgyon the Dark Dragon Lord

3 Bountiful Artemis

2 Harvest Angel of Wisdom

2 Ryko, Lightsworn Wolf

1 Marshmallon

1 Gellenduo

Spells: 5

1 Heavy Storm

1 Mystical Space Typhoon

1 Monster Reborn

1 Brain Control

1 Lightning Vortex

Traps: 16

3 Synthetic Seraphim

1 Torrential Tribute

3 Solemn Judgment

3 Dark Bribe

3 Magic Drain

3 Divine Wrath

As I said, this is a rough build. Any suggestions regarding how to improve it would be appreciated. I have one specific question, do you guys think it would be better to remove the 2 Magic Drains in favor of a 3rd Wrath and a 3rd Dropoff?

R/F Time!

I had thought about Voltanis. He's amazing in conjunction with Seraphim. I chose to include Van'Dalgyon simply because of the fact that he's less dependant on Seraphim. I want to be able to do well even in duels where I never draw it.

Trade-In with only 3 targets? I don't know...

You really think the Wraths are only side material? I know it's a popular side-deck choice, but I would think in a Counter Fairy deck, they would be mained. Also, I beleive Jerome McHale mained them extremely successfully in the last SJC, though my memory might be failing me here. Perhaps a little justification?

Oh, and lastly, I've already got Invicil to negate Spells, along with the obvious Bribes and Solemns, I'm not sure how often Magic Drain will even be useful to me. Well, it'll be useful often enough, but I'm not sure it warrants a spot in the maindeck. That's why I initially asked if I should drop it to max out the other counters.

Ok, so we're agreed that Wrath should be maxed out. Now the question remains: Drop a drain for it, or drop a dropoff.

Dropoff doesn't activate Van'Dalgyon's effect, but it's also extremely reliable. You have the chance to activate it every turn. It's an immediate +1 if Artemis is on the field.

Magic Drain, however, is a target for Van'Dalgyon. It is less reliable not because my opponent wouldn't nomally activate at least 1 Spell every turn, but because in addition o the Bribes and Solemns, I also have a pair of Invicils shutting down Spells.

Which one deserves to stay?

Also, I'm definitely siding Voltanis, but if I did that, I would also want a better way to get to Seraphim. Should I also side Cats?

Van at 3 = Wrath at 3, no questions here. The thing is that Monarchs aren't exactly the best targets to SS.

Drain is always good and forces a discard of something that won't come and bite you in the ass later... Drastic can help your opponent more than anything

Synthetic Seraphim: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/16946849

This is a Counter Fairy deck, there are plenty of Counter Traps being activated here. I used Seraphim to take advantage of the Counter Traps. Seraphim provides a nearly infinite source of tribute material for the summoning of the Monarchs or Sky Scourge Invicil.

That's the basic idea behind the deck, outside of that, it still functions pretty much like Counter Fairies. It uses Van'Dalgyon fine.

Unless you were asking how successful the deck is in playtesting. In that case, I truthfully haven't playtested it yet.

Synthetic Seraphim: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/16946849

This is a Counter Fairy deck, there are plenty of Counter Traps being activated here. I used Seraphim to take advantage of the Counter Traps. Seraphim provides a nearly infinite source of tribute material for the summoning of the Monarchs or Sky Scourge Invicil.

That's the basic idea behind the deck, outside of that, it still functions pretty much like Counter Fairies. It uses Van'Dalgyon fine.

Unless you were asking how successful the deck is in playtesting. In that case, I truthfully haven't playtested it yet.

Archived