Legacy of the Tormentor - Volume 2: Hour of Twilight

Umbra

[spoiler=F.A.Q]

Q: Wasn't the Dark Doorway Volume 2?

A: Yes, it was. However, that particular plot is discontinued for now. But don't fret, the events at the end of Legends (Volume One) will be followed up. Just not the same way as it did before.

Q: When is it set?

A: Mid-21st Century. Around 2051-56.

Q: Will Jonah and the others still be around?

A: Obviously, it's called Legacy of the Tormentor for a reason. They'll come around sooner or later.

Q: If I liked Legends, will I like this?

A: I hope so.

Q: I haven't read Legends, where can I find it?

A: The first volume is available here: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/thread-20980.html

However, a few characters from the first volume, such as Takake, Jack, Rodriguez and so on, origin from my first real fanfic Inheritance of the World, which is available here: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/thread-16754.html

[spoiler= Chapter One: Blaze]

The hooded man walked down the deserted street. His long, brown leather coat moved slowly in the practically still air. It was warm in Hemsley, warmer than any other summer had been. Mid-day as it was, most people were at work. So was our man. But his work was different than your average man's work.

Gerald Blaine was a professional Duelist.

He checked the D-Body on the back of his arm, scanning for others. No signs so far. The small contraption, no larger than a watch, was designed specifically for the Duelists to locate others like them. Other Duelists, but also other players. The last time Gerald had seen any results was a few months ago, in a town whose name he had already forgotten. Somewhere on the east coast, he had encountered a boy named Nick. Nick seemed like an average sixteen-year-old at first, but the D-Body had gone haywire when Gerald saw him Duel. Some sort of tournament final, which Nick was about to win. The D-Body greedily sucked in the energy he released, as it was built to do. The boy had won the tournament, and Gerald's D-Body had been fully charged ever since.

From time to time, while on his D-Wheel on the road to the next town, Gerald thought of Nick. Some people was born with an excessive power source. Gerald himself was one of them. But all of these were tracked down, usually before their tenth birthday, and trained to become Duelists. Nick was a renegade. If Gerald could, he would have taken the boy with him to Arcanax. But that wasn't his job. Instead, he had noted Nick's name and sent it to the server for retrieval. He had stumbled upon something great with that boy, but since he hadn't been to the facilities in weeks, he didn't know how great it was.

Beep. Gerald looked down. The Body had reacted. The small screen flashed, and a hologram materialized in the air above it, showing a map of the vicinities. A small red dot hovered in the middle of it, and a small number in the lower right corner showed that it was about a hundred meters away from him. Wasting no time, Gerald tapped a button on the D-Body and started running.

In the garage on the other side of the city, the D-Wheel's autopilot triggered.

Gerald stopped outside a worn, shabby-looking house. The D-Body was clear; whatever the signals came from, it was inside this building. He was just about to tap the door when he heard an engine roar. He didn't see anything at first, but soon his D-Wheel dashed down the road. It stopped right next to him, and he smiled. The autopilot had always worked flawlessly for him. He detached the duel disk and loaded his deck. It's always worth packing heavy, as he might need to duel to unleash the target's energy. He entered the house.

As soon as the door closed behind him, he heard footsteps from the upper floor. “Who's there?” he heard a voice say from above. Gerald didn't answer. “Hello? Who's there?” More footsteps, and a girl came down the stairs. She gasped as she met Gerald's gaze. How old could she be? Sixteen, seventeen maybe? She had deep green eyes, and long, dark curly hair. The long, black dress she was wearing seemed dusty. “Who are you? Why are you here?” Finally, Gerald spoke.

“You can call me Blaze.”

[spoiler=Chapter Two: Sworn to the Light]

Nick opened his eyes, and sighed. The last two months had been a real challenge. He couldn't think of ever being as tired before. He had fallen asleep in class twice the last week, which was just the tip of the iceberg. It didn't matter how much he slept the night before, he always woke up with the same, pointless feeling and the same thought in his mind. I should just stay in bed today. He had been to doctors all over the country, but neither of them could put a diagnosis on him. He just felt like his life was flushed down the pipe, a little bit day by day. He yawned, still tired and climbed out of bed.

“You can call me Blaze.” Gerald nodded at the girl. “And I believe you're Jennie Devon?” The girl bit her lip, and Gerald smiled. Arcanax' research proved it's worth once again. Gerald cast a glance at his D-Body, steadily pointing in the girl's direction. Her energy was barely comparable to Nick, but it was still higher than the average human. Therefore, she was a perfect recruit for Arcanax. Jennie went down the stairs, and stopped in front of Gerald. She was taller than she had appeared at first, almost as tall as her guest.

“You have five seconds to explain yourself, Blaze, or I'll call the police.” She revealed a cell from a pocket on her dress, and started to tap a number. Gerald smiled.

“I'd suggest you to stop doing that, miss Devon. You see, I'm just doing my job here, and I wouldn't want anyone to interrupt me just yet.” He nodded, and walked up to her. “I'm what you would call a Duelist, although that's not my full title.”He revealed the device on his arm. “And you, miss Devon, showed up on my D-Body's scans. It searches for unnatural energy, like the one that has been beaming out from you all morning.” The girl gasped, and dropped the phone. Gerald raised his index finger. “Please, let me finish. The energy isn't harmful in any way. It's just a byproduct from your system. Just like sweat and tears. And just like sweat and tears, it fills a purpose. But they'll tell you more about that at the base. Now, we have no time to waste. We need to get out of here as fast as possible.”

Nick glanced at the clock. 9 AM, about half an hour until school would start. Not wasting any time at home, he brushed his teeth and put his used plate in the sink after washing it off briefly. Just as he turned the water off, he heard knocks on the door. “Coming!” He didn't see anyone through the window, but he went over to the door anyway. Probably some kid., he thought.

Suddenly, there were other, much lighter steps on the stairs. Jennie turned around, but too late. A boy, possibly no more than ten years old, stopped beside her. The boy looked at Gerald, and then at his sister.

“Who's this, Jen? And what's he doing here?” Jennie shushed him.

“Get back to your room, Max. We'll finish the duel later, kay?” The boy frowned, and turned around. He muttered something under his breath, and Jennie smiled for a split second. “That's my brother... I'm teaching him to play the game.” Gerald nodded. No wonder the scan picked up a sign. They must've been playing all morning.

To Nick's surprise, it wasn't a kid, but a woman in her thirties, with dark brown eyes and blond hair. She nodded in approval at him. “Nick Bailey?” Nick nodded, and the woman smiled, revealing a set of shining white teeth. “Susannah Morae, Lightsworn Duelist. You've been marked as a potential target for our training, and we'd like to invite you to our side.” For a split second, Nick's mind was blank. Then, the memory struck him like a punch to the face. Who hadn't heard of the Duelists these days? The story said that they were some sort of representatives for old gods never mentioned anywhere in history. Most people fended the story off, saying they was just a bunch of lunatics who couldn't stop playing their childish card games. Susannah didn't seem like a lunatic, though. Nick gathered himself and looked at Susannah.

“You expect me to go with you, just like that?” Susannah shook her head.

“No, of course not. I don't expect you to make a decision today.” She looked him over, and closed her eyes. Nick frowned. What's she doing? Just standing there? Then, her eyes flashed open, and Nick thought he could see a faint green light around her iris. “You're tired, aren't you?” Her voice seemed a bit deeper than it had been before. She nodded. “Yes, you must be tired. Whoever marked you sure made a good job. The markers are there, but the residue level is almost zero.” She blinked, and her eyes were normal. “Let me help you with that.” She put her right hand on Nick's shoulder, and before he could react, a shock of lightning spread through his body and he collapsed on the floor.

As the girl walked slowly up the stairs, Gerald went over to the window and looked out. Hemsley was a small town, probably no more than a hundred thousand people living in it. Even so, he would have thought someone would pass the street outside the house. Right now, not even a lone drunkard staggered down the street. Where is everyone? Then, he noticed something. His D-Wheel was missing. He turned on the spot and dashed into the hall, and was just about to raise his duel disk when three silent beeps could be heard, and the door exploded. He raised his arms, trying to shield himself from the wood and dust, when a broad-shouldered man wearing a coat identical to Gerald's, but with two blue stripes on the sleeves stepped in. He glanced at Gerald.

“Alright, Wicker. You have five minutes to take your D-Wheel and go. This case is ours.” Gerald shook his head.

“First, the name's Blaze, not Wicker. And second, the target's mine. She'll make a fine addition to our lines once I get her back to the base.” Gerald had spent the last months looking for a new target, and he wouldn't let the opportunity slip between his fingers now. The man nodded.

“Well then, since neither of us wants to let go...” He pulled up the sleeve on his left arm, revealing a slim duel disk. Gerald kept his mouth shut, but he was impressed. The Lightsworn, how depending on their beloved Pantheon they may be, knew their tech. “Let's decide this like real Duelists do.” Gerald nodded.

“DUEL!”

finally...

a decent start, but since i haven't followed the last few chapters of Volume 1, i don't know how this fits into the story...

you have some competition now with Kale (where is that guy anyways), Raviel Priest WYHE and Aelsthla-Mental, so you better come up with something really special this time around...

good luck...

Interesting. Hope to see how this ties in with Legends. Also' date=' how come you never finished IotW?

[/quote']

The plans I had for IotW's future, going in depth with Jack's and Rick's adventure into the past (It can't really be spoiler anymore, I posted it god knows how long ago) and what happens at the corp. However, I think I summed it up pretty neatly in Legends. At least, you know what you need to know.

Also, the new chapter's up.

Well' date=' I notice there was 48 Year difference between this and Legends. I don't think a time difference between Inheritance and Legends was established, unless I missed that minor detail.

[/quote']

Well, I didn't say it explicitly, but through the dates I set IotW to roughly six months before the start of Legends. Around the same time as Abbi's incident, actually, but that's irrelevant.

Do you have any intention of bringing back The Dark Doorway' date=' even though not enough people posted?

[/quote']

Define "bring back".

TDD was a particular storyline: That storyline will be ignored for now. Hour of Twilight will pick up the story from Legends, not Dark Doorway. So, the plot events I had in mind for TDD will have to wait. Maybe they'll be added to HoT later on: We'll see about that.

The chapter was... Short' date=' but quality over quantity hey?

[/quote']

Yeah, I'd like to keep them short for now. Hurries up the production rate a bit.

Archived