DISCUSSION: GEARS OF WAR...

TAG

...IO.

gears_of_wario_10.jpg?w=442&h=625

NOW ON TO A MORE SERIOUS TOPIC

Wario, Mario, and maybe Sonic are some of the few things keeping platforming just barely alive. But, let's be honest. The genre may be reaching the end of its days. LBP sales are starting to suck, and Order of Ecclesia is just doing miserably in sales. Wario Land: Shake It and Sonic Unleashed didn't do enough to revive the genre. Hell, not even Megaman 9 and Super Mario Galaxy did much. At this rate, platforming may just either stop becoming a mainstream genre, or even worse, just cease to exist. Why? Well, I PERSONALLY think that it's because platforming just isn't hardcore enough for the "hardcore" audience and isn't casual enough for the casual audience. "Hardcore" gamers want things with far more action (and by action, I mean "BLOOD GUNZ GORE BLOOD. OH, AND DID I SAY GUNZ?") Casuals mainly want stuff that doesn't really challenge them, like party games. Note that I could very easily be wrong about my reasoning, and it could be for a completely different reason.

All in all, it's rather sad that a genre that's brought us godliness in the forms of the Super Mario Bros. 1, 3, World, 64, Megaman 1-3, Banjo Kazooie and Tooie, Metroid and Super Metroid, and Actraiser (although I doubt many of you guys here will really know this one) is going down at a rather fast pace. Granted, platformers may still continue to live on in hand-helds, but we all know that they usually don't get nearly as much attention as main consoles.

Discuss what you think will come of platforming these days, and whether or not it will rise again to be a grand genre like it was before.

I agree with you. Everyone has turned to the likes of Halo and such games to fill their low standards. Now, most of those games aren't truly bad games, but comparing them to the genius platformer games such as SMB 3, DKC 2, or Metroid, they just don't live up to it.

BTW, you left out some of the old DK games out of your list.

platforming is going out i think they need to make games 8 bit again to bring things back maybe

Teh Ninja believes you don't play games very much. Teh Ninja knows that making games 8 bit would piss most gamers off. The Wii has the VC, which may help. Teh Ninja knows that we can't make more 8 bit games for new consoles.

Not really. Your looking at the old now horrible games. Sonic, Mario and Wario are all past if you ask me, they're just sinking deeper and dieing slowly thanks to Nintendo's horrible thinking and the whoring for money attempts.

Prince of Persia isn't doing bad at all as far as I know, it may be easy but things are improving. LittleBigPlanet anyone? come on don't tell me this isn't helping the platform genre. Oh, Mirror's Edge, the game is an amazing step front and will certainly inspire us tons of games.

Not really. Your looking at the old now horrible games. Sonic' date=' Mario and Wario are all past if you ask me, they're just sinking deeper and dieing slowly thanks to Nintendo's horrible thinking and the whoring for money attempts.

Prince of Persia isn't doing bad at all as far as I know, it may be easy but things are improving. LittleBigPlanet anyone? come on don't tell me this isn't helping the platform genre. Oh, Mirror's Edge, the game is an amazing step front and will certainly inspire us tons of games.

[/quote']

Did you just call SMW, DKC 2, Metroid, and the like horrible? If yes GTFO my forum. Those games are al classics and I and many people I know can spend hours replaying them all again and again.

(To me past=dead, so in that light) Mario is far from dead, all his main games have been great. Wario has always been under Mario in platforming, but his games have always been decent. Sonic is meh now, but at least the day zones in Unleashed were decent.

Prince of Persia is doing fine. LBP, as TAG said is already dieing off, even if it is a good game. Mirror's Edge I really don't know if I would call it a platformer. Also the sales their also are so so.

platforming is going out i think they need to make games 8 bit again to bring things back maybe

Teh Ninja believes you don't play games very much. Teh Ninja knows that making games 8 bit would piss most gamers off. The Wii has the VC' date=' which may help. Teh Ninja knows that we can't make more 8 bit games for new consoles.

[/quote']

I think he meant make more retro games. Which, by my standards, is a good idea. Provided they don't milk the idea to death.

Not really. Your looking at the old now horrible games. Sonic' date=' Mario and Wario are all past if you ask me, they're just sinking deeper and dieing slowly thanks to Nintendo's horrible thinking and the whoring for money attempts.

[/quote']

It's true that some of the recent platformers are great. But it's not the quality of platformers so much as the quantity. With people in demands for games like Super Smash Bros. 4 or the next Halo elevindy billion, they tend to look away from platformers. And the sales are very much proving that. As such, companies may notice that and make less and less platformers until *poof.* All gone.

Its not Gears of Wario

ITS GEARS OF AWESOME!

LEAVE. NOW. jk

Did you just call SMW' date=' DKC 2, Metroid, and the like horrible? If yes GTFO my forum. Those games are al classics and I and many people I know can spend hours replaying them all again and again.

[/quote']

Stop being a noob. He meant old series that were great, but are either meh or suck now (although that's not really the case with Malleo.

Malleo_by_theMarioBrother.png

Malleo, still going strong. Rock on.

[/quote']

Did you just call SMW, DKC 2, Metroid, and the like horrible? If yes GTFO my forum. Those games are al classics and I and many people I know can spend hours replaying them all again and again.

(To me past=dead, so in that light) Mario is far from dead, all his main games have been great. Wario has always been under Mario in platforming, but his games have always been decent. Sonic is meh now, but at least the day zones in Unleashed were decent.

Prince of Persia is doing fine. LBP, as TAG said is already dieing off, even if it is a good game. Mirror's Edge I really don't know if I would call it a platformer. Also the sales their also are so so.

They are amazing games, now they're victims of Nintendo. They are just killing them more and more and even if once every year we get a decent game out of them seriously just stop it. Make new characters for once and kill Mario already.

imo it's not what Nintendo games are doing but it's what the new platform games are doing that are keeping it alive. Platform has been to most the mother of video games and as long as their's video games their will be platform games.

[/quote']

It's true that some of the recent platformers are great. But it's not the quality of platformers so much as the quantity. With people in demands for games like Super Smash Bros. 4 or the next Halo elevindy billion, they tend to look away from platformers. And the sales are very much proving that. As such, companies may notice that and make less and less platformers until *poof.* All gone.

As I said before platform's are far away from dead. Game studio's will still make them and as long as that happens you can expect that their will be amazing games that will be made and will be played.

[/quote']

They are amazing games, now they're victims of Nintendo. They are just killing them more and more and even if once every year we get a decent game out of them seriously just stop it. Make new characters for once and kill Mario already.

imo it's not what Nintendo games are doing but it's what the new platform games are doing that are keeping it alive. Platform has been to most the mother of video games and as long as their's video games their will be platform games.

I really wouldn't say they are killing their big names. For all of them Nintendo puts a lot of time into making them. I mean we only get 1 rarely 2 of their main games (their's as in one main Mario, Zelda, Samus games) once per gen and those games are always great. Also it is hard to think of "real" new characters. Sakurai says it best

"When they’re all lined up like this' date=' it becomes obvious that there is roughly 6-year blank before and after Pikmin. While there have been big series since then like "Animal Crossing," "Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day," and "Wii Sports" it does seem that coming up with a completely new character-driven series has gotten more difficult recently.

[/quote']

It may be difficult but let's be honest who ruined it, Nintendo. Coming with these old names continuously people/studio's have been left under the shadow of these old game characters. Nowadays games are coming with less good characters and more good graphics and gameplay thinking they can get a good buck out of it like GH, LBP and a lot of other games.

It may be difficult but let's be honest who ruined it' date=' Nintendo. Coming with these old names continuously people/studio's have been left under the shadow of these old game characters. Nowadays games are coming with less good characters and more good graphics and gameplay thinking they can get a good buck out of it like GH, LBP and a lot of other games.

[/quote']

I'd rather have a game with more good graphics and good gameplay than good characters.

Anyways, I really have to disagree with you. Nintendo hasn't done anything to platformers that caused them to fade out.

• 2 weeks later...

Nintendo might have not done something bad directly but sucking the money after the same thing making playing practically the same game except with a different plot and more polished graphics disappointing isn't it. Meanwhile games like Prince of Persia (pretty good example looking at T2T and the newest instalment) have revolutionized the Platforming in my opinion concentrating on puzzles rather then turning it into a hack and slash game.

Also when you talk about characters being unimportant I must really say I disagree. Mind telling me why GoW is liked? Yes it's Kratos and how "kickass" he is. I never said that gameplay and graphics don't matter. I just feel that a game's hard work is more reflected by making the game enjoyable through the plot, characters AND gameplay then through 30K multiplayer levels that I won't even see half of them or high quality graphics (not saying that this doesn't sell and it isn't important at all, it's just a bonus for me)

Just felt that this discussion has some potential so I bumped it.

Archived