[Grudge Match] Kyng V/ Zextra [Leaderboard] - Zextra Wins!

AFNTJF5.png

Grudge Match
Kyng V/ Zextra
3 Votes Winner
All Leaderboard Rules Apply
No holds barred
Tie-breaker Match
The Prize?
The title of being superior

[spoiler=White Borealis Dragon]

whiteborealisdragon.png

3 Level 8 monsters
If “White Night Dragon” is used as one of this card’s Xyz Materials, you can Xyz Summon this card using 2 Level 8 monsters instead. This card cannot be targeted by your opponent’s card effects. When this card would be removed from the field: You can Tribute 1 monster instead. When this card destroys a monster by battle: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card and target 1 card on the field; return that target to its owner’s hand.

[/spoiler][spoiler=Adamantine Dragon]

mb5icgp.png

2 Level 4 monsters
While this card has an Xyz Material attached that was originally a Normal Monster, all Normal Monsters you control gain 500 ATK. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to target 1 Normal Monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it. You cannot Normal Summon during the turn you use this effect.

[/spoiler]

This tie has been bugging me for a while. Time to break it. PM me the card when you're ready, Zex.

Both cards look well-designed imo. However, I'm going to give my vote to Adamantine. That card is how Normal Monster support is supposed to be done, also it can be combined with Rabbit so that Rabbit can actually fulfill its intended purpose: Normal Monster support. Also, I noticed that the first card has a major flaw: it doesn't specify where to Tribute the monster from. In my eyes, you can just Tribute your opponent's monster. So, vote to Adamantine.

Voting for Borealis Dragon. It's the way that a 3-material Xyz should be made, unlike Neo Galaxy-Eyes, which, albeit being cool, is situational as hell. Also allows Rank 8 Hieratocs to be somewhat viable. And most importantly, it gives you a big payoff for using a monster that usually isn't used. Adamantine has already been created in the form of Daiguato Emeral, and with less of a restriction as well. Granted that it is a dragon and it can provide a boost, it's unneeded, really. [quote name="Striker Z" post="6219111" timestamp="1370910034"]Also, I noticed that the first card has a major flaw: it doesn't specify where to Tribute the monster from. In my eyes, you can just Tribute your opponent's monster. So, vote to Adamantine.[/quote] Striker, the term Tributing always refers to your own monsters unless otherwise specified.

Well, the uncertainty really detracted me from Borealis. Though both were well designed, I just had to nitpick.

As Luminus pointed out, if the side of the field isn't mentioned in a Tribute effect, it's automatically assumed to be from your side of the field, so including such wording would be superfluous.

Nevertheless, it's your opinion, and I respect that, so 1-1.

Zextra's Card:

Stats are very nice, but also very high. I would've like to see them a little lower then that, considering how easy it is to get Lv. 8 Dragons to the field, especially in a dedicated deck. Another complaint is that it relates in no way to White Night Dragon. The flavor only goes as far as the picture, which justifies the requirement. To me, this is a direct hit to how appealing the card is (I say this knowing it can't be targeted and White Night negated targeting, but again, those are two similar, but different effects). You could've added a Lightning Rod for attack declarations (without the discard), and I would've been pleased as far as flavor. The other two effects are rather random, just to make the card more playable. Of course, playability is always a great thing for a card to possess, if you are going to relate it to a real card, you have to execute things perfectly. I imagine this Dragon, capable of such high ATK, destroying things furiously, not killing and shooting presumbly strong winds at a single target to blow it away (to the hand). Also, "removed from the field", that is a term that is used when the creator of a card wants to make sure that card is powerful, and in most cases, more powerful then needed. Why couldn't "When this card would be destroyed" or "banished" or etc be the option you took? The card doesn't need to be a game ender, it's only a 2 Material monster (so to say).

Kyng's card:

Played it much more safe, making a slight reference to a real card but no real relation, thus making whatever concept created acceptable. The relation in name to Alexandrite, and the Type/Attribute/ATK relations are all nice to see, it makes the card appealing in a sense. The effect also makes Normal Monsters more playable, which I always love to see, and the balanced Reborn of a Normal Monster is great. Although I would've liked to see a higher ATK stat, I understand why you were opposed to go higher then 2000 in the making of the card. I love that it doesn't require Normal Material, but benefits from having atleast one of which is. I also love that to revive two monsters, you must get rid of your ATK boost, adding even more balance to the card aside from the skipping of a Normal Summon. It is a playable card, and one that casual groups of players everywhere would love to see in real life (which to me, being a casual player, is a plus).

Playability wise, yes, Zextra won, but, that is because of the stacking of unneeded effects on a powerful enough of a monster.

However, my vote goes to Kyng. The execution of a safe idea flawlessly beats the daring card with minor inconsistencies in my eyes anyday.

Actually, you're voting for Kyng's card. Mine was the first one. Currently 2-1 in Kyng's favor.

[spoiler=Now to clarify my reasoning when making the card]
I had to make the stats at least what they were since the other "Ultimate Dragon" forms each have 4500 ATK. Next, having the card simply be untouched by targeting is arguably an upgraded form of the target-negating effect that White Night Dragon possesses, since your opponent wouldn't be able to double-chain it. As for the lightningrod effect, I specifically decided to replace it with the bouncing effect (since the card is indeed an ice dragon, and "Borealis" relates to the north wind) due to the fact that it would not force your opponent to attack, since there is no requirement to enter the Battle Phase. As for the anti-removal, it's only fitting for the effort of getting a 3-Material Rank 8 out (since it's only 2 materials if you run White Night, which unfortunately is a bad card), not to mention the only decks that can currently use the card without running bad, inconsistent cards are Photon Galaxy and very rarely Rank 8 Hieratics, both of which are casual and could use the boost. And it originally was "destroy", but I got a suggestion to change it to "remove from the field", since with the ever-evolving meta, banishing and bouncing are becoming far more prominent in the game, and having protection against destruction alone is not good enough to justify running it.

Thanks for your vote, though.
[/spoiler]

I knew the name relation and the basicly upgraded version of the targeting when I voted. I also know the meta is evolving. This doesn't justify how OP you made the card, however. Also, any deck using REDMD, Red-Eyes Wyvern, Monster Reborn, and/or Call of the Haunted can make Summoning White Night (a decent enough of a card to run if you plan on making this bad boy), to easy of a Summon to justify the strength you vested into this card.

Edited the names in my voting post for clarification

I knew the name relation and the basicly upgraded version of the targeting when I voted. I also know the meta is evolving. This doesn't justify how OP you made the card, however. Also, any deck using REDMD, Red-Eyes Wyvern, Monster Reborn, and/or Call of the Haunted can make Summoning White Night (a decent enough of a card to run if you plan on making this bad boy), to easy of a Summon to justify the strength you vested into this card.

Edited the names in my voting post for clarification

Reborn is used in every deck, and Dragon decks are typically too fast for Call of the Haunted. Furthermore, Wyvern is very rarely used nowadays, and just using REDMD to revive Level 8 dragons is slow. Nevertheless, as a player who experiences the meta irl, that's just my opinion, and I respect yours as well. Thank you for voting.

@Gendo - Can you please support your vote by judging on the cards' effects? Unfortunately, mostly judging on image alone doesn't say much of the card's playability and such.

To be fair, guys, Borealis isn't a direct upgrade, but still shares similarities with it's previous form.
Adamant is cool, but it's more or less just an Emeral with more ATK, as already mentioned. But the fact Adamant is harder to use then Emeral sorta' puts strain on it's usability, when it comes to shenanigans with Normal monsters.

I'm voting Zex.

I didn't go to say that this card would affect the meta, as neither will the other card. I just went to say that the difficulties in Summoning this card (though very minor, very manageable), doesn't justify such an effect that prohibits any card from dealing with it. Yes, while it needs to be powerful to be playable and etc., I just dislike that sort of all around protection all together. It's uncreavite and comes off to me as a sort of attempt to make a card playable by adding one Overpowered effect. Again, destruction would've been fine.

This is my last message, props to whoever wins.

It is true that you took it with a different approach, but the problem is that judging primarily based off of the image doesn't show how the card would affect play. While I personally find card aesthetics to be important as well, the deciding factor should be the effect.

Borealis

I actually think the summoning effect is unique. Its not really all that, but its different. It can really outclass most of the other Rank 8s. I don't really understand the second effect. White Night Dragon could just negate it. After that Xyz summon, I don't think you would have something to tribute to stop what ever is about to kill you.

Adamantine

I like this because it's a plus for Normals. 

It can really help out those Geminis. Well except for the fact that you can't Normal Summon after you would bring one back. But I'm guessing that is the reason for the drawback. But all in all is inferior to Daigusto Emeral. Emeral may have lower stats or whatever, but there isn't really any drawback for the same thing. And you can still Normal Summon the Gemini monster the turn Emeral is used. Yep...

So ya... My vote goes to Borealis

Archived