Abstract Monsters + Construct Spells [Updated]

ExtremeG

I've been messing around with this new card idea for a while. The original idea was to create cards that are based on Imaginary friends. Beings that exist only in the minds of the of the children that created them. That idea evolved into the Abstract monsters.

Abstract monsters live in the Extra Deck. When they are destroyed, they are sent to the Graveyard. Abstract monsters can only be summoned under the following conditions.

Three (3) things MUST be used:

1 - An appropriate Construct Spell Card in the Spell/Trap Card Zone

2 - An unoccupied Monster Card Zone directly above it.

3 - Cards that are listed on the Abstract monsters in the Monster Card Zones on each side of the vacant Monster Card Zone.

So it all starts with a Construct Spell Card (that's pronouced kawn-stukt, not ken-strukt). 

construct_zpspgqcckzw.png

All Construct Spells have a variation of the following effect (Similar to Fusion or Ritual Cards):

If the Monster Card Zone directly above this card is unoccupied: You can Abstract Summon 1 Abstract Monster from your Extra Deck to that Zone, if you control Abstract Material monsters listed on the Abstract Monster.

Different Construct Spell will have different limitations, like only being able to Summon Dragon or so on Abstract monsters, and some Abstract monsters require specific Construct Spells. The best way to think of these cards is  a fusion between Ritual Spells and Continuous Spells. They act to Summon cards, but remain on the field to use additional effects.

Here's an example of a Construct Spell Card.

[spoiler=Inspiration Manifestation]

Inspiration%20Manifestation_zpsdccutwul.

[/spoiler]

So you got your Construct card, an empty space above it, and a few other cards on the field. Now it's time to Summon your Abstract monster.

Here's a rough example of what an Abstract monster might look like.

[spoiler=Mjiora]

Mijora%20-%20Dreamfall%20Dragon_zps7rifg

[/spoiler]

Still confused? Here is a handy field set up to summon this particular Abstract monster.

playfield1_zpstgvacpd5.png

Simply set of the field thusly and you'll be able to Summon your Abstract monster.

playfield2_zps7gh58eyy.png

Tell me what you think!

Okay, I have a few statements and a few questions, the first thing I'd like to say though, is that this is kind of interesting.

Questions

Why is the attack and defense so high for that monster? It seems a little high even for how it is gotten out.

Why did you decide not to give them levels? It seems kind of odd that they do not have them.

Why do they go into the extra deck face-up? Is it like the Generation stride in Vangaurd so you can't re-summon them or?

Will specific abstract monsters need specific construct spells?

Statement:

Construct spells on their own, seem pretty over powered as is, a column specific effect, but with the type of effect that one gives it's, well a bit much.

Well like I said, that was just a rough example, but thank you for the feedback!

1 - Originally my idea was to make one of the Summoning conditions that your life point had to be between the atk and def, but I decided to scrap that idea.

2 - Giving it no levels was because of the idea that they are monsters that are not technically real, so they wouldn't have levels or ranks. Come to think of it, I might be interesting if I made it so they don't have ATK or DEF, like they are basically Spell Cards that are Special Summoned from the Extra Deck... hmmmmm

3 - That was just an idea. Thinking of it now, I should probably just make them go to the Graveyard or back to the Extra Deck face-down ^^'

4 - Sometimes, yes. Just like some Synchro and Xyz monster need specific materials, some archetypes with Abstract monsters will need specific construct cards

Hmmmm maybe your right. I'll just make it so Construct cards are a combination of continuous and ritual cards with different effects.

Okay, idea, what if the construct spells were more so like ritual, allowing you to summon, but granting an effect if they were summoned? Ie "This card can be used to construct summon a dragon type Abstract monster. While the monster summoned is on the field this card is treated as a continuous spell with the following effect: once per turn you can target one dragon monster you control; it cannot be targeted by the opponents card effects until the end of their turn." with better card grammar of course.

I like it! Although I would probably just make it so the mechanics of Construct Cards is that they stay on the field until destroyed rather than treating them as continous cards. I do like the idea of giving them those effects plus the additional effects.

Ok, update coming up soon!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived