Flash Materialist [WRITTEN]

Tinkerer

Just a card I came up with on the fly.

Flash Materialist

DARK ****

Warrior/Tuner/Effect

This card cannot be Special Summoned from the Graveyard. You can substitute this card for any 1 Fusion-Material Monster. When you do this, the other Fusion-Material Monster(s) must be the correct one(s). During either player's turn, you can Fusion, Synchro, or XYZ Summon a monster from your Extra Deck using monsters you control, including this card, as materials (this is a quick effect).

0/0

I'm not sure how useful going into Rank 4s would be during your opponent's turn. Most of them have Ignition Effects, and those who don't like Abyss Dweller or Cairngorgon might/usually have to be Summoned preemptively, so they're all probably better off Summoned during their own turn. I can think of several situations where it would be useful to use Flash Materialist with them (e.g. finding out what your opponent uses first, Cairngorgon against monster Ignition Effects, etc.), but I'm not sure if it's worth running just so it can be used in those situations, in which the result isn't that amazing either. Exciton Knight can be a nasty surprise, but only if your opponent doesn't anticipate it, and they should with Flash Materialist on the field, so they would likely be able to play around it. Only viable target I can think of right now is Ragnazero, but it isn't spectacular right now.

It would probably be a better idea to just go into Ptolemaeus so you can go into Pleiades during your opponent's turn if you so wished.

As a Tuner, its effect is certainly more flexible than that of Formula Synchron's. As it is, you need to jump through hoops to get to cards like Black Rose (Moonlight) Dragon with Formula/Accel Synchron on top of having to Synchro Summon them in the first place, but with Flash Materialist you can trigger a nuke or a bounce a monster with just another Level 3 non-Tuner monster on the field.

And finally Fusions, so Shaddolls, Fluffals, and the like... The fact that you can't fuse using the hand takes away one of Fusion's greatest perks. Shaddolls already have El Shaddoll Fusion so they don't really need this card, and it would only substitute the Shaddoll monster so you still need the correct Attributes. Being DARK-Attribute by default doesn't help since all the Shaddoll fodders are already DARK-Attribute. Not to mention it doesn't float like the rest. Though it's always going to be iffy with Fusions since they are almost always archetype-oriented and never generic, so Flash Materialist being unsearchable (as an archetypal card) is not helping. A future Fusion archetype that can utilise ROTA might be able to make more use of it.

So all in all, it could be nice to use with Synchros, but only has potential when regarding Fusion and Xyz. It will be hard-pressed to be useful for Fusions, and with so many people complaining about how powerful and versatile the Rank 4s are, I wonder if you'll find a suitable Rank 4 target for Flash Materialist any time soon. (Rafflesia which was recently announced falls into the same category as the other reactive Rank 4s.)

Cannot be Special Summoned from the Graveyard. You can substitute this card for any 1 Fusion Material Monster, but the other Fusion Material Monster(s) must be correct. During either player's turn: You can activate 1 of these effects;

• Fusion Summon 1 Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using this card and monsters you control as Fusion Materials.

• Immediately after this effect resolves, Synchro or Xyz Summon 1 monster.

Thanks Azu!

Yeah, I have to say that Synchros is where it shows the most potential, though it's XYZ applications shouldn't be disregarded. Aside from summoning something during your opponent's turn, this card can be used to dodge targeting effects on your monsters or be used during your battle phase for another attack. I just wanted it to be a useful tech for any deck that uses an Extra Deck and I think it does decently at that.

Archived