New Sub-Type/Summon: Sonex!

Dova

I was challenged by a friend to make a new Sub-Type in Yu-Gi-Oh, so I came up with Sonex.

Sonex is a sub-type (obviously) and form of Summoning for said Sub-type. The main mechanics behind it are:

(1) Sonex monsters cannot be be Normal Summoned/Set.
(2) You need (x amount of a certain type/attribute/name + x amount of a certain type/attribute/name + etc.) face-up on your side of the field to Sonex Summon each card from the Hand, Deck, or Graveyard. Requirements differ for each card.

(3) Each Sonex Monster can only be Sonex Summoned once per turn.
(4) The cards used to Sonex Summon the Sonex Monster cannot attack while that card is on the field.
(5) If none of the cards used to summon the Sonex Monster are on the field, it gets destroyed (or banished? Haven't decided.)
(6) The Sonex Monster gains effects depending on the number of cards used to Sonex Summon it that are still on the field. A Sonex Monster with only one card used to Summon it left has no effect.

Example:
s3g3syp.png
Monster Effect:
Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. You need 1 Warrior-type and 1 FIRE Attribute monster face-up on your side of the field to Sonex Summon this card from the Hand, Deck, or Graveyard. You can only Sonex Summon one "Herald of the Fiery Depths" per turn. The cards used to Sonex Summon this card cannot attack while this card is on the field (This effect cannot be negated). If no cards used to Summon this card are on the field: Destroy this card (This effect cannot be negated). This card gains effects depending on the number of cards used to Sonex Summon this card remaining on the field:
●2+: Once per turn: This card cannot be destroyed by battle or card effects.

Another Example:
UOH9i69.png
Monster Effect:
Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. You need 1 "Asmodeus" (monster), 1 Fairy-Type and 1 DARK Attribute monster face-up on your side of the field to Sonex Summon this card from the Hand, Deck, or Graveyard. You can only Sonex Summon one "Asmodeus Incarnate" per turn.  The cards used to Sonex Summon this card cannot attack while this card is on the field (This effect cannot be negated). If no cards used to Summon this card are on the field: Destroy this card (This effect cannot be negated). This card gains effects depending on the number of cards used to Sonex Summon this card remaining on the field:
●3+: Once per turn, you can Special Summon one Fairy-Type monster from your Graveyard who was sent there from your Deck.
●2+: You can Tribute one token: Destroy one card on the field.

I wasn't sure how much to leave on the card, or to leave off as default mechanics (because Toon, Gemini and Union have the requirements written on the card, whereas Ritual has some left out)

Please tell me what you think!

Interesting indeed, it's like pseudo-semi-Nomi monster, still a viable target for CotH and friends, but didn't get the effects since it isn't Sonex Summon'd.

My issue here is that . . . let's say you have 2 Asmodeus Incarnate in your Deck, and you have "Asmodeus" (monster), 1 Fairy-Type and 1 DARK Attribute monster face-up on your side of the field. You Sonex Summon Asmodues Incarnate using said monster, can i Sonex Summon another Asmodeus Incarnate using that face-up card again? If so (can) you'll be spamming a lot of monsters (possibly 3) if the said condition is met and OTK'd your opponent instantly.

And why it's called Sonex? Any explanation about it?

Interesting indeed, it's like pseudo-semi-Nomi monster, still a viable target for CotH and friends, but didn't get the effects since it isn't Sonex Summon'd.

My issue here is that . . . let's say you have 2 Asmodeus Incarnate in your Deck, and you have "Asmodeus" (monster), 1 Fairy-Type and 1 DARK Attribute monster face-up on your side of the field. You Sonex Summon Asmodues Incarnate using said monster, can i Sonex Summon another Asmodeus Incarnate using that face-up card again? If so (can) you'll be spamming a lot of monsters (possibly 3) if the said condition is met and OTK'd your opponent instantly.

And why it's called Sonex? Any explanation about it?

I should've seen that spam exploit before, I'll change it so that you can only summon each monster once per turn.

As for Sonex...well, I was trying to think how the cards would be summoned physically. I pictured the monsters used to summon the card glowing and emitting constant rings of energy which would form into the monster. Thought of sound waves, so, Sonic -> Sonex.

Thanks for the feedback!

Herald can be summoned as long as you have something like Flame Swordsman out.

Asmodeus can be summoned as long as you have something like Doma, the Angel of Silence out.

So the summoning requirements can be met by a single card even if you're running a fairly old school deck. This should actually help the cards fit into just about any deck you desire.

Also, I would say make Sonex Summoning in general limited to once per turn. Because if it's limited to only the monster, I could still spam the field with 3 Asmodeus or 3 Herald in the same turn since the summoning requirements would already be met.

Asmodeus can be summoned as long as you have something like Doma, the Angel of Silence out.

So the summoning requirements can be met by a single card even if you're running a fairly old school deck. This should actually help the cards fit into just about any deck you desire.

Gonna fix that to "other". Thanks for that!

Also, I would say make Sonex Summoning in general limited to once per turn. Because if it's limited to only the monster, I could still spam the field with 3 Asmodeus or 3 Herald in the same turn since the summoning requirements would already be met.

I don't quite understand how that works. If I summon Herald once, then I can't summon him again via Sonex Summon, because of his effect. Of course, I could be missing something here. I just wanted this to be a viable sub-type/summon, but if HARD HARD OPT is required, then so be it.

Archived