Monochrome + a "C" Monster

Dova

Based on this post from the Archetype game.To quote the person who wrote that:

Monochrome are LIGHT Fiend-Types whose card art features creatures showing up in black-and-white photographs. They are Level 2's that cannot be Normal Summoned but can be Special Summoned when one of your cards causes the opponent to discard from his/her hand. The Spells/Traps of the Deck function as generic cards that help making your opponent discard as well as being banishable from the Grave for Monochrome-specific support, such as searching or Special Summoning. The monsters, once summoned, have effects that are intended to cause mischief (flipping, taking zones, level modulation, etc.). The boss is an Xyz that allows the Deck a way to turn its smaller monsters into beatsticks.

[spoiler=Monsters]5ixj2O0.png

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) if your opponent discards a card(s) because of a card effect you activated. If this card is Summoned this way: Draw 1 card for every 2 cards your opponent discarded.

ofeIuHX.png

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) if your opponent discards a card(s) because of a card effect you activated. If your opponent Summons a monster(s): You can change the Battle Positions of those monster(s). You can only activate this effect of "Monochrome Avenger" a number of times per turn equal to the number of "Monochrom" cards you control.

1DsGOBI.png

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) if your opponent discards a card(s) because of a card effect you activated. Your opponent cannot activate conduct their Battle Phase of the rest of the turn after this card was Summoned this way. If this card is Summoned during your opponent's Battle Phase: They discard 1 card, also end the Battle Phase.

KU8PFrR.png

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) if your opponent discards a card(s) because of a card effect you activated. Once per turn, you can select one of your opponent's Zones: Your opponent cannot place a card in that Zone until your next Standby Phase. A card already in that Zone is unaffected.

9WKbcQM.png

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) if your opponent discards a card(s) because of a card effect you activated. If this card is Summoned by its own effect: Destroy all Special Summoned cards on the field, except LIGHT Fiend-type monsters.

l5ICBiu.png

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) if your opponent discards a card(s) because of a card effect you activated. During either player's turn, if your opponent has two or more monsters on their side of the field: You can increase or decrease the Level of one of those monsters by 1. You can only activate this effect of "Monochrome Spirit" a number of times equal to the number of monsters your opponent controlled with the same Level when you activated this effect for the first time.

AnnN6Cg.png

2 or more Level 2 monsters

This card cannot be destroyed by battle while it has a Fiend-Type monster(s) attached as Xyz Material. If this card would be destroyed by a card effect: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; It is not destroyed. If this card is targeted by a card effect: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Negate that effect. If a LIGHT monster is Special Summoned from your hand while this card has a Fiend-type monster(s) attached as Xyz Material: That card gains ATK equal to the current ATK of all face-up monsters.

[spoiler=Spell/Traps]083dEZA.png

Roll a dice. Your opponent draws cards equal to the result, and the discards cards equal to the result +1. During either player's turn, except the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard, you can banish this card from your Graveyard: Add one "Monochrom" card from your Graveyard to your hand.

FPjFucy.png

Reveal one face-down Spell/Trap on your opponent's side of the field: Destroy it. Your opponent can negate this effect by discarding one card. During either player's turn, except the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard, you can banish this card from your Graveyard: Add one "Monochrome" monster from your Deck to your hand.

723iLv3.png

Monsters which have been discarded cannot activate their effects in the Graveyard and/or Banished Zone. You can only control one face-up "Monochromatic Location". If this card is destroyed, you can activate one of these effects:

● Your opponent discards one card.

● Draw 1 card.

lRMhykf.png

When your opponent Normal Summons a monster(s): Return it to the hand, also your opopnent discards one card, then draws 1 card. The discarded card cannot activate any effects in the Graveyard. During either player's turn, you can banish this card from your Graveyard: For every 1000 damage you take this turn, your opponent discards 1 card.

BULsrb2.png

When your opponent activates a card or effect while you control a face-up "Monochrome" monster: Negate that effect. Your opponent can choose to negate this effect. If he does, he discards two cards as soon as this chain resolves. If he is unable to discard one or more of those cards, and equal number of cards your opponent controls are destroyed (his choice).During either player's turn, you can banish this card from your Graveyard: Discard one card, and, if you do, your opponent discards one card.

I decided to add a "C" monster to help these cards.

[spoiler=C]zzXtW2w.png

If an effect activates in your opponent's Graveyard: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. Card effects cannot activate in either player's Graveyard. Cannot be destroyed by battle while you control another Level 2 monster.

Please tell me what you think!

(See if you can spot the original card backgrounds I used for the monsters!)

I think it is an interesting idea. Although some of the effects I find a little confusing like the last part of "Monochrome Spirit" effect. And I would maybe change Demon's protection effects of not being destroyed/targeted to non activating effects, and maybe combine them into one effect? Why would you word Shoot and shot differently? I find a little bit of difference in them.

Shoot:  "Your opponent can negate this effect by discarding one card."

Shot: "Your opponent can choose to negate this effect. If he does, he discards two cards as soon as this chain resolves."

I would just word Shot the same way "Your opponent can negate this card by discarding 2 cards."

Finally although there are a few decks that don't mind having cards in the Graveyard (especially if they get to choose so maybe think about adding a spell/trap that lets you choose whenever a card(s) would be discarded from your opponent's hand.) But, pendulum decks are starting to become a real think and I don't think they would enjoy it as much.

I think it is an interesting idea. Although some of the effects I find a little confusing like the last part of "Monochrome Spirit" effect. And I would maybe change Demon's protection effects of not being destroyed/targeted to non activating effects, and maybe combine them into one effect? Why would you word Shoot and shot differently? I find a little bit of difference in them.

Shoot:  "Your opponent can negate this effect by discarding one card."

Shot: "Your opponent can choose to negate this effect. If he does, he discards two cards as soon as this chain resolves."

I would just word Shot the same way "Your opponent can negate this card by discarding 2 cards."

Finally although there are a few decks that don't mind having cards in the Graveyard (especially if they get to choose so maybe think about adding a spell/trap that lets you choose whenever a card(s) would be discarded from your opponent's hand.) But, pendulum decks are starting to become a real think and I don't think they would enjoy it as much.

Thanks for the review! The idea was for Spirit's effect to be able to activate a number of time equal to the number of monsters your opponent controls with the same level, to screw over Xyz and Synchro. The original idea was just once, but I felt with level 8 Synchros it would be better for that. As for Shoot and Shot differently, I thought that Shot, being a Counter Trap, would always come in a chain, and that if activated immediately, the cards in your hand would miss the timing by the time the effect resolves. And finally, the cards sent to the Graveyard. Yes, I know it's not such a bad thing, but I worked from what was written.

Have you ever thought about a field spell or continuous trap that would just be like "cards discarded from your opponents hand cannot activate their effects in the Graveyard"? That probably wouldn't be near the right wording but just a thought.

Have you ever thought about a field spell or continuous trap that would just be like "cards discarded from your opponents hand cannot activate their effects in the Graveyard"? That probably wouldn't be near the right wording but just a thought.

I am busy writing more cards as we speak, and that is one of them. Thanks anyway though.

Image-wise...

• Avenger's pic = Grandmaster of 6 Sams
  • Spirit = Hand of 6 Sams
  • Stalker = Maxx "C"

I'll guess the others later, but I have to properly CnC.

In any case, monsters are pretty much deadweight unless you force the opponent to discard via one of your card effects.

As much as I would've liked to say Card Destruction might've been a nice tech or something, it wouldn't since it'd mill your cards too (discounting the fact it's currently banned).

Oh wait, you can still SS them from the Graveyard; just that you won't get to trigger their effects that would activate if you SS'd from hand.

That, and Dark World/Fableds (among other stuff) benefit from the discard effects here (because of their mechanics and stuff), but you probably know that by now.

-----

Going to critique these with the assumption that whatever ruling applies to Burgesstomas at present also go here (only 1 SS per discard).

Apparition can land up to 3 free cards when combined with Equipment (assuming your opponent rolls a 5 or 6).

A bit iffy on this, considering that fact, considering you will get at least 1-2 cards out of it.

Avenger triggers more than once per turn, assuming you can get enough monsters on board to do it.

Though, it does help to soften the opponent up a bit.

Overseer kills the Battle Phase, and then forces them to discard again if you do it during the BP; either with stuff like Hand Destruction or whatever.

Basically a more restrictive Threatening Roar of sorts, but can trigger the other Monochromes in hand.

Visitor stops the opponent from either overextending their backrow, swarming the field or heck, even set their Pendulum Scales for a while, if it comes to that.

Against certain Decks, suppose it'll delay them for a while.

Stalker is essentially a field wipe for everything, except these guys (and Fableds).

Not really sure that I like this card being able to do that, especially given how SS-oriented the game is now. But since these guys aren't really strong on their own, suppose it's acceptable.

Spirit is kinda strange as Bunbuku already pointed out; I get that it's meant to screw over Synchro/Xyz, and indeed it does that.

I see this more for Xyz though; Synchros might not be as easy to get multiple uses of, but it's possible.

Demon has targeting/limited destruction negation, which is still kind of good. The power bonus helps, but given the power of the monsters thus far, it's going to be a rather slow boost.

All of them are 100, so unless you design some way for them to beef up a little more, I feel that it won't really help them much in the long run.

Equipment mills stuff, so yeah it can/will screw over Pendulum Decks by making them ditch their resources. Though, a lot of Decks use the grave as a springboard for certain plays, so this may not hurt them as much as you think; that, and some Pendulum Decks have ways to recover their stuff in Graveyard. Hurts other Decks too, especially ones that like to search out things. Sort of like a one-sided inverted Card Destruction that makes them go -1 most of the time.

Shoot is a gimmicky version of MST, but does trigger the monsters if they choose to protect whatever card you want.

I could probably say you can just change it to just pop the card like MST does, but you'd lose out on the ability to see WHAT you would've gotten rid of, even if they decide to block this card.

Shot can indeed force your opponent to play mind games and worry about their hand control; either they have stuff in hand to ditch, or they lose their field.

That, and it's a weaker version of Hand Destruction when banished. Only 1 card, but it still triggers your monsters to be SS'd from hand.

----

As a whole, Archetype is pretty much reliant on the opponent discarding cards via your card effects, so it goes without saying that you'll have to include other cards that can mill the opponent's hand, besides the S/T. Goes well with Mind Crush and a few other things though.

But otherwise, it's interesting.

The reason they all have 100 is so that they are guaranteed a higher ATK than the highest monster on the field with Demon Eff. Their main objective is to mill your deck, and beatsticks are sort of a PLAN B. Apparition was meant to only work for every two, but did I phrase it so that 1 gives 1 draw etc? Do you think Stalker should wipe all SS monsters on the field, including Monochromes? That might work, considering its not exactly a swarm deck.

Thanks for the long and detailed review! Nice to see one of those. I'll be adding more cards this afternoon.

Hmm, I must've misread the ATK boost as only taking your own.

Demon is fine then; kind of like a Wicked Avatar sort of thing.

(Naming-wise, should probably change it because of usual naming convention with regards to fiends and stuff in English, BUT we're not like Konami, so you can keep it)

Apparition does say that you draw for every 2 cards; but it's guaranteed a free draw with Equipment.

At worst (you get a 1), opponent draws a card, then mills two due to effect. Then, you can SS it and draw a new card because requirements were met.

That's about the only gripe there; other two don't trigger the draw on him.

----

As for Stalker, you can probably blow up the other monsters on the field if you want to; though seeing the lack of revival options for these guys, maybe not.

Archived