Faytl's Extra Deck Project 02 - Insectoids: Now with 100% more Union

~Faytl~

Part two of my Extra Deck project (link to the first part in my sig if you wanna check it out and give feedback). THis time I wanted to try something really different: Pendulum, combined with Union monsters, since Union monsters as equip cards do go to the Extra Deck. I figured it could be powerful, and hopefully I struck a good balance with these cards. Let me know how I did!

Insectoid Blaze Bee
Level 4 FIRE Insect
When an "Insectoid" monster is Special Summoned, target 1 face-up card your opponent controls: Destroy it. You can only use this effect of "Insectoid Blaze Bee" once per turn.
1700/1400

Insectoid Ram Beetle
Level 5 EARTH Insect
Once per turn, when your opponent Special Summons a monster: You can change it's battle position.
2300/2000

Insectoid Catapult Cricket
Level 4 EARTH Insect
When this card is Normal Summoned: Add 1 "Insectoid" monster from your Deck to your hand.
1500/1500

Insectoid Cannon Mantis
Level 6 EARTH Insect
Once per turn, you can target 1 "Insectoid" monster you control and 1 card your opponent controls: Destroy those cards.
2500/2200

Insectoid Blast Firefly
Level 4 FIRE Insect
When an "Exo-Insectoid" monster becomes equipped with a Union Monster: inflict 500 damage to your opponent.
1750/1300

Insectoid Crash Ant
Level 4 EARTH Insect
When an "Insectoid" card you control is destroyed: Draw 1 card. You can only use this effect of "Insectoid Crash Ant" once per turn.
1800/1100

Insectoid Warmonger Dragonfly
Level 7 WIND Insect
Once during either player's turn, when an opponent's card effect is activated, you can target 1 other "Insectoid" card you control: Destroy it, and if you do: Negate that effect, and destroy that card.
2700/2200

Exo-Insectoid Steam Stinger
Level 2 WATER Insect Union, Scale 4
"Insectoid" monsters you control cannot be targeted by the effects of your opponent's monsters.
- - - - -
Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 Level 4 or higher "Insectoid" monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in Attack Position. While equipped by this effect, when the equipped monster battles an opponent's monster, at the start of the Damage Step: Destroy that monster. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union monster at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.)
1000/100

Exo-Insectoid Blade Wing
Level 2 WIND Insect Union, Scale 1
Once per turn, when an "Insectoid" card in your Spell/Trap Zone is destroyed and added to your Extra Deck: Add it to your hand.
- - - - - 
Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 Level 4 or higher "Insectoid" monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in Attack Position. While equipped by this effect, when the equipped monster destroys an opponent's monster by battle: Your opponent takes damage equal to it's ATK. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union monster at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.)
1200/400

Exo-Insectoid Harpoon Proboscis
Level 3 WATER Insect Union, Scale 1
Once per turn, you can reveal 1 "Insectoid" monster in your hand, and if you do: Add 1 Union monster from your Deck to your hand.
- - - - - 
Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 Level 4 or higher "Insectoid" monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in Attack Position. While equipped by this effect, when the equipped monster battles an opponent's monster: That monster loses 1000 ATK, until the end of the Battle Phase. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union monster at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.)
1200/200

Exo-Insectoid Dagger Fang
Level 2 EARTH Insect Union, Scale 4
"Insectoid" monsters you control cannot be targeted by the effects of your opponent's Trap Cards.
- - - - - 
Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 Level 4 or higher "Insectoid" monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in Attack Position. While equipped by this effect, when the equipped monster declares an attack: Your opponent takes 300 damage for every "Insectoid" card you control. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union monster at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.)
700/400

Exo-Insectoid Sabre Pincer
Level 3 EARTH Insect Union, Scale 1
Once per turn, you can target 1 "Exo-Insectoid" card in your Spell/Trap Card Zone and 1 face-up Level 4 or higher "Insectoid" monster you control that is not equipped with a Union Monster: Equip the targeted "Exo-Insectoid" card to that monster.
- - - - -
Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 Level 4 or higher "Insectoid" monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in Attack Position. While equipped by this effect, when the equipped monster attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects, until the end of the Damage Step. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union monster at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.)
800/100

Armament Swap
Cont Spell
Once per turn, you can return 1 "Insectoid" card in your Pendulum Zone to your hand, and if you do: Target "Insectoid" monster you control gains 800 ATK, until the End Phase.

Insectoid Swarm
Cont Trap
Once per turn, when an "Insectoid" card you control is destroyed: Add 1 "Exo-Insectoid" monster from your Deck to your hand.

The Union monster effects are pretty underwhelming. The Pendulum effects are nice, but  that's about it for the Pendulum Union monsters. At least they can be recycled. And it's nice that you don't have many high Level monsters. However, plenty of the non-Pendulum cards are pretty conditional. It's okay; nothing overpowered, but kind of underwhelming. Mostly due to the non-Pendulum cards.

I agree with the guy above. Although, most of it would be fixed if you raised the high scale to 5. that way, you don't have to normal summon the non-pend lvl 4 insects. Just add the clause that you can only pend summon Insectoid monsters. The level 4s are the weakest of the bunch save for the searcher so I wouldn't necessarily waste normal summons on them. Instead, the tribute ones are great and worth the Normal Summon cost.

Additional comments: bladewing is kind of unnecessary and agro effects are not that great this meta or in the future. The add back into the hand effect is OK, but pot of riches does most of that anyway. 2 sets of scales is plenty.

Archived