[Leaderboard] Dova vs. Cherz the Poro (Cards are up)

Dova

Rules:

-All Leaderboard rules apply.

First to 3 votes or most votes by the deadline wins.

All voters must elaborate on their votes.

Both contestants have the right to refuse votes, but must explain why they don't accept it.

-Written cards are allowed. (Must be in written format, cards with blank pictures are not acceptable)

-Cards must be PM'd to me.

-Remove any evidence of the card being made by you to ensure anonymity.

-In case a downtime happens, the deadlines may be extended.

Rewards:

-The winner gets a rep from the loser.

-All voters get a rep for voting.

Deadlines:

-Contestants have 48 hours to submit their entries.

-The contest ends a week after it starts.

Requirement:

Create a Union Fusion monster.

Card A:

VpTrB8X.jpg

Card B:

VgiuLvb.png

1 Tuner monster + 1 or more non-Tuner monster(s)

Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 Synchro Monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in Attack Position. A monster equipped with this card can be treated as having any Level if it would be used as Synchro Material for a Summon. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union monster at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.) If this card is sent to the Graveyard as Synchro Material for a Summon: You can add 1 Tuner monster and 1 other Level 5 or lower non-Tuner monster from your Graveyard to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Synchron Herald" once per turn.

Card A looks pretty generic. It gives a boost and protection against spell/traps which is kinda similar to Forbidden Lance except it actually boosts the monster. Fusion materials are pretty restricted. Only see this in use with Instant Fusion. Maybe 2 Myrmeleo fusion. I like the design overall. Name and art are nice. ATK and DEF is okay since its effect is kinda strong.

Card B looks like it could go to places. Fusionist Turbo would love this card. Gets those high level synchro monsters easily (Sifr/Quasar etc.) Fusion material is pretty weird since its using the synchro material text (but it still works) The salvage effect of this card is cool. Just a nitpick though that if its working as a union monster, this salvage effect wont work as it will be treated as destroyed. Pretty good too, design wise.

I pick Card A since its more easy to use. Can fit in most decks since that protection against spell/traps is really nice. Card B is also a nice card but its restricted to Synchro decks.

Hmm. This one is fairly easier to decide.

Card A: Although a bit awkward on the phrasing, the overall generic effect is quite nice. A +800 boost to the monster and S/T protection. Unfortunately, this card requires 2 Earth Insect-Types, so it wouldn't see many plays outside of decks such as *cough* Naturias *cough* and the like, unless someone is willing to fuse 2 Maxx C for this card. Now that I mention it, maybe this card would be effective in a Deck built around the "C" archetype.

Of course, Instant Fusion makes everyone's life easier. Then we can talk about a powerful combo, such as a heavy hitting Galaxy Eyes Dark Matter equipped with this card. However, with such low stats, this card would die easily in battle against other monsters, although that's a negligible point as it should be equipped to a monster during the same turn it is Summoned.

Card B: I don't really like the non-Tuner and a Tuner Fusion mix, because it's somewhat confusing as that is the usual requirement for a Synchro Summon. I guess the creator did it on purpose, as it is supposed to be an equip card for Synchros. However, it doesn't matter too much as I'd rather talk about the effectiveness of the card itself. I would recommend changing it to 2 Tuner monsters instead.

So the equip effect isn't really that much of a help in battle nor is it helpful on Summon. It can only be equipped to a Synchro monster, and even if we get one out we usually don't have the time for another Synchro Summon by using this card. If we don't Instant Fusion this Union, then we'd be spending atleast a Poly + 2 more monsters to get this guy out.

So a theoretical hand for a generic Synchro Deck that does not run an archetype:

1xGoblindbergh, 1xTop Runner, 1xFusion Sage, 1x Random Tuner, 1x Random non-Tuner.

So obviously if we're going to use this card: Add Poly with Fusion Sage. Fuse monster. Normal Summon Goblindbergh, and use eff to carry Top Runner. Synchro for Level 8 and equip.

Welp, your hand's gone. But to be fair, let's try substituting Instant Fusion into this.

1xGoblindbergh, 1xTop Runner, 1x Instant Fusion, 2x Random Trap

Even with this, you'd burn your hand for 3 cards in order to get out for a Synchro with the effect of changing its Level, and then setting 2 Traps. Of course, they payoff would be when you successfully pull off another Synchro to add 2 monsters back to your hand.

So scenario instead with Card A:

1xGoblindbergh, 1xTop Runner, 1x Instant Fusion, 2x Random Trap

You'd have a Synchro who is unaffected by S/T and has +800 ATK with 2 Traps. A much improved Vylon Prism, correct? See the massive difference?

I recognize the argument of this in a Quasar/Omega Deck that heavily relies on Synchros. However, Instant Fusion can only be used OPT, and the obviously better choice goes to Norden over Herald.

My vote goes to card A.

Both cards are Instant Fusion targets, so not saying more on that.

Card A is limited to stuff like Naturias or some old Insect decks that rarely see play anymore (or yeah, the "C" cards if you're willing to invest in it), though it does protect against common S/T styles of removal and a sizable power boost. So yeah, a permanent version of Forbidden Lance that instead boosts ATK and lasts longer. That's pretty nice. 

Card B has materials that I would expect to see on a Synchro Monster instead of a Fusion, but it's still viable. As already mentioned, this is pretty much restricted to Synchro decks only (though it would make it a bit easier to go into ladder Synchros or yeah, Quasar/Accels if you still opt for it). It at least can recover its own materials when it's used for another Synchro (or other stuff late game), so there's something. 

-----

B is nice for Synchro decks, but that's about all it can do. I'm not worried about the materials, but it fits better on an actual Synchro Monster. 

A is more generic and while it bars your own S/T from affecting that monster, you at least have general protection from stuff like Raigeki/Mirror Force/whatever Pendulum removal and one time blocking of other monster effects (barring Castel, but being weak to that is applicable to most things nowadays anyway). 

So yeah, vote for A. 

Archived