Bright Armed Dragon (Opposite of Dark Armed Dragon)

Sluggaholic

We all know what Dark Armed Dragon- it's an infamous card, after all, it's easy to get out, and hard to kill, given its high attack stat and brilliant effect of banishing DARK Attribute monsters in order to destroy cards your opponent controls. Thinking on this, I decided to make a card similar to it, yet opposite- instead of emptying your Graveyard, it fills it up. Plus, it works super well with an already infamous (and previously amazing) deck: Lightsworns. So, here it is! Bright Armed Dragon!

IAXVnBl.jpg

Bright Armed Dragon

LIGHT Attribute / Dragon-type / Level 8

Effect: Cannot be Normal Summoned / Set. Must be Special Summoned from the Graveyard while you have 5 or more LIGHT Attribute monsters in the Graveyard besides "Bright Armed Dragon". You cannot Special Summon other cards the turn this card is Summoned and this card is removed from play after leaving the field. Once per turn: You can send 1 Level 6 or lower LIGHT Attribute monster from your Deck to the Graveyard, then target one monster you control; when that Monster attacks this turn, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects during the Damage Step. 

2800 ATK / 1000 DEF

- - - - -

As always, CNC is very much appreciated! I realize that making a card opposite of Dark Armed Dragon would be tough, given how powerful it is (I honestly think having it at semi-limited wouldn't hurt the metagame, tbh, but that's just me), so I want to hear people's honest opinion on Bright Armed!

- - - - -

EDIT 3/15/16 - Added problem solving text to the card to attempt to prevent and infinite loop and stop it from sending itself from the Deck to the Graveyard; gave it a minimum of 5 other LIGHT Monsters in order to complete its Summon.

EDIT 3/16/16 - Added problem solving text to deal with the possibility of not being banisable: is still viable for changes, given how other cards that resurrect it exist.

We already have the "Purified" DAD. It's Metaphys Armed Dragon. Meaning this is redundant at best, bad at worst, i nthe flavor department.

Also not sure why you'd try to design in the vein of DAD, consdiering the card is a stupid and absurd design. As is this.

Being able to mill every LIGHT in your deck (or even if you change the rulings, X mills per turn, X being equal to the monsters you control/earleir controlled during the turn) is just insanely broken. Foolish Burial effects are constantly on the rise, and implementing one on a body with no drawbacks other than "hey play LIGHTS and put them in the grave to put mroe i nthe grave" makes no sense.

well, you probably don't realize this, but there's already a series of "Dark" monsters, such as Dark Simorgh and Dark Grepher,, which is the particular series Dark Armed Dragon is part of. It's not a dragon that's dark armed, it's an armed dragon that's dark, if that makes sense.

Unless you're planning on making "Bright Simorgh" or something

Requiring a summon from the graveyard means it's bad in your hand, and need to get into the graveyard somehow. Also, Dark Armed needed exactly 3, which was why it had a little skillfulness; 5 or more makes it no different from Lightrays. Also, you not only reversed the cost and timing symbols (colon and semicolon), but you assigned two different costs for one effect. It should say "Up to twice per turn: You can send 1 LIGHT Attribute monster from your Deck to the Graveyard, then target one monster you control;"

The card itself isn't too broken, since it's just an armades clause, which is actually quite useful against Bujin (unviable) and Kozmo (slightly viable), or things that run stuff like Storming Mirror Force (which can really be anything). All in all, though, you'd have to play Lightsworn to play it, which doesn't help much, considering that it's basically tier 4.

We already have the "Purified" DAD. It's Metaphys Armed Dragon. Meaning this is redundant at best, bad at worst, i nthe flavor department.

Also not sure why you'd try to design in the vein of DAD, consdiering the card is a stupid and absurd design. As is this.

Being able to mill every LIGHT in your deck (or even if you change the rulings, X mills per turn, X being equal to the monsters you control/earleir controlled during the turn) is just insanely broken. Foolish Burial effects are constantly on the rise, and implementing one on a body with no drawbacks other than "hey play LIGHTS and put them in the grave to put mroe i nthe grave" makes no sense.

damn savage

not sure how it's "insanely broken" to send 2 lights to grave, considering this card is dead in your hand. If you top deck it, you're funked.

damn savage

not sure how it's "insanely broken" to send 2 lights to grave, considering this card is dead in your hand. If you top deck it, you're funked.

I actually missed that it needed to be in the grave, but... That still doesn't make it a fair design. There are plenty of ways to move cards to the grave, and this means onyl 4 others have to be light.

If you played competitive YGO lately, you would know that cards that send from Deck to Grave are by far the strongest non-Pendulum effects... Hell, they're even broken in pendulums, due to synergizing with outside cards like Glow-Up Bulb.

Mathematician, Armageddon Knight, Lavalval Chain, even randos like Meliae of the trees have the potential to see play, and that's because thsi type of effect ages really well. The fact that it gives armades on top of that is an absurd design.

Even cards like Dante, Card Trooper, and Reasoning are absurd modern day, despite the luck-based nature of their milling.

Sending 2 on a pinpoint is way too strong, and it just does not constitute a fair design in the least. Copying DAD's design vein is a terrible idea, even like this.

also dad isn't skillful in the least, idk where you got that idea

I actually missed that it needed to be in the grave, but... That still doesn't make it a fair design. There are plenty of ways to move cards to the grave, and this means onyl 4 others have to be light.

If you played competitive YGO lately, you would know that cards that send from Deck to Grave are by far the strongest non-Pendulum effects... Hell, they're even broken in pendulums, due to synergizing with outside cards like Glow-Up Bulb.

Mathematician, Armageddon Knight, Lavalval Chain, even randos like Meliae of the trees have the potential to see play, and that's because thsi type of effect ages really well. The fact that it gives armades on top of that is an absurd design.

Even cards like Dante, Card Trooper, and Reasoning are absurd modern day, despite the luck-based nature of their milling.

Sending 2 on a pinpoint is way too strong, and it just does not constitute a fair design in the least. Copying DAD's design vein is a terrible idea, even like this.

also dad isn't skillful in the least, idk where you got that idea

Eh... I agree on the part that the flavour was terrible, since Black is the expert on it. 

For the card being broken... That's a debatable area. After all, 5 LIGHT monsters aren't a easy feat to get into the Graveyard, but the effect itself has an turnoff in its Summoning condition.

"Cannot be Normal Summoned / Set. Must be Special Summoned from the Graveyard while you have 5 or more LIGHT Attribute monsters in the Graveyard."

So you literally have to get it into the Graveyard, and when it includes itself + 4 other LIGHT monsters. You would have to waste another card in order to bring this guy back, since it MUST be Special Summoned from the Graveyard. Milling 2 LIGHTS barely does anything, although Trick Clown is a viable target. Another possibility would be for Cyber Dragons, but that's about it.

Btw, Dark Armed Dragon requires skillful Graveyard manipulation. I can't see how it's not skillful to use DAD correctly.

Eh... I agree on the part that the flavour was terrible, since Black is the expert on it. 

For the card being broken... That's a debatable area. After all, 5 LIGHT monsters aren't a easy feat to get into the Graveyard, but the effect itself has an turnoff in its Summoning condition.

"Cannot be Normal Summoned / Set. Must be Special Summoned from the Graveyard while you have 5 or more LIGHT Attribute monsters in the Graveyard."

So you literally have to get it into the Graveyard, and when it includes itself + 4 other LIGHT monsters. You would have to waste another card in order to bring this guy back, since it MUST be Special Summoned from the Graveyard. Milling 2 LIGHTS barely does anything, although Trick Clown is a viable target. Another possibility would be for Cyber Dragons, but that's about it.

Btw, Dark Armed Dragon requires skillful Graveyard manipulation. I can't see how it's not skillful to use DAD correctly.

5 is an easy feat. Have you never read a Lightsworn?

OP even mentioned them. It's not hard to get 5+ LIGHTs in the grave at all, and this eliminates luck in getting the exact cards to the grave that you want. And it's not hard to get this to the grave, at all.

manipulating your grave with DARK monsters is basic play level, it's not skillful at all. DARK, as a rule of thumb, works around the graveyard in some fashion. While not 100% true, as you would assume, it is fairly prevalent in the general design of DARK cards.

5 is an easy feat. Have you never read a Lightsworn?

OP even mentioned them. It's not hard to get 5+ LIGHTs in the grave at all, and this eliminates luck in getting the exact cards to the grave that you want. And it's not hard to get this to the grave, at all.

manipulating your grave with DARK monsters is basic play level, it's not skillful at all. DARK, as a rule of thumb, works around the graveyard in some fashion. While not 100% true, as you would assume, it is fairly prevalent in the general design of DARK cards.

If you're only allowed 1 copy of DAD and whatever dark deck you run, you'd have to play careful or it'd be a dead draw. That's what I meant by Graveyard Manipulation. Dark World and Zombies can do this well, but careful plays are still needed.

Also, for Lightsworns, only Soul Charge/COTH/Oasis are viable in the Deck to bring it back. In fact, I think only Soul Charge is common in a Lightsworn Deck, because I never seen any of the others on DN when Minerva was released.

Even if you do get this Dragon out with Soul Charge, you wouldn't be able to conduct BP anyways. But yes, Lightsworns are fairly easy to drop the required number of monsters, but it's nearly useless even if you did somehow get this monster out.

If you're only allowed 1 copy of DAD and whatever dark deck you run, you'd have to play careful or it'd be a dead draw. That's what I meant by Graveyard Manipulation. 

Also, for Lightsworns, only Soul Charge/COTH/Oasis are viable in the Deck to bring it back. In fact, only Soul Charge is common in a Lightsworn Deck, because I never seen any of the others on DN when Minerva was recently released.

Even if you do get this Dragon out with Soul Charge, you wouldn't be able to conduct BP anyways. But yes, Lightsworns are fairly easy to drop the required number of monsters, but it's nearly useless even if you did somehow get this monster out.

... That's not a thing. Of course a card can be a dead draw, but that's not skillful i nthe least. That is the most basic level of play, and DARK monsters tend to be able to manipulate your grave without any extra effort.

this card summons itself inherently, it's not a condition before it can be summoned. It's a mirror to DAD ._.

... That's not a thing. Of course a card can be a dead draw, but that's not skillful i nthe least. That is the most basic level of play, and DARK monsters tend to be able to manipulate your grave without any extra effort.

this card summons itself inherently, it's not a condition before it can be summoned. It's a mirror to DAD ._.

._. 

The bad card grammar messed with me.

"Must be Special Summoned from the Graveyard while you have 5 or more LIGHT Attribute monsters in the Graveyard" 

VS 

"Must be Special Summoned (from your hand) by having exactly 3 DARK monsters in your Graveyard, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways."

It's not my fault... Well, okay, it kinda is...

I'm going to bed. Screwed around too much with Giga and Enguin at 3:00 a.m. today. My thoughts are muddled.

Yep, this card is broken since it can keep bringing itself back. Not only that, it can mill another two copies of itself to get 3 2800 beaters on the field. Too OP.

The fact that this card is that it is a 2800 beatstick that can constantly re-summon itself for free with not a great deal of setup is ridiculous. More than the fact it can mill LIGHTS for an Armades-esque effect.

I mean, if you were brave enough to run 3, you could summon 1, mill another 2 and summon them. That's a lot of damage on the board for not much set-up, and if your opponent tries to stop that with Solemn Warning/Strike or Torrential Tribute, you can just summon them again.

Hmm. I see. I completely overlooked the part where it could mill itself... that is a MAJOR problem. Also learned quite a bit from this experience. I'll change it a tad to make it less powerful. Hopefully that gives it a tad bit more balance. To be honest, I always saw this card at one anyways. Though, when thinking of the major meta decks, I suppose it wouldn't have much of a need to be put at one, since none of them really run solely LIGHT Monsters. Anyways, editing time.

EDIT: Done. Made the changes recommended by Toadtotter and added a Level restriction on the card to prevent it adding more copies of itself to the Graveyard. Also made it so that there had to be 5 OTHER monsters for it to ss itself. Finally, made it so that once it's gone, it's gone. (P.much)

Pffft Imperial Iron wall says no. Merely banishing doesn't prevent this card's possibility from creating an infinite loop. I mean, use Reasoning, mill the crap out of a deck based around cards like Cannon Soldier, activate Imperial Wall, and gg infinite loop.

It's either that or Rank 7 spam with unlimited resources.

Then what do you recommend, Yuuji. If such a deck is such a threat and exists, then should I change the effect to "this card can only be Special Summoned this way once per duel"? I'd like it if you gave me ideas instead of just pointing out the flaws in my work. That's make your criticism much, much better, in my opinion. Still, thank you for your feed back.

Here's how i would balance this card:

Cannot be Normal Summoned / Set. Must be Special Summoned from the Graveyard by having 5 or more LIGHT Attribute monsters in the Graveyard, except "Bright Armed Dragon" and cannot be Special Summoned by other waysYou cannot Special Summon other monsters during the turn it is Special Summoned. Once per turn: You can send 1 LIGHT monster from your Deck to the Graveyard, except "Bright Armed Dragon", then target 1 monster you control; Until the End Phase, if it attacks, your opponent cannot activate card effects until the end of the Damage Step. You can only control 1 face-up "Bright Armed Dragon".

I think that should do it, in terms of its summoning conditions. The last line prevents any loop of bright armeds. The fact that it can send light monsters from the deck turns it really powerful easily and gives it a fast engine to other light archetypes like Lightsworns and possibly Blue-eyes. So by adding the line "you cannot special summon other monsters during the turn it is special summoned prevents any Wulf/the other one spam.

Archived