[Leaderboard] Dova vs. Brimtosis (Cards are up)

Dova

Rules:

• All Leaderboard rules apply.
  • First to 3 votes or most votes by the deadline wins.
  • All voters must elaborate on their votes.
  • Both contestants have the right to refuse votes, but must explain why they don't accept it.
  • Cards must be PM'd to me. Preferably written.
  • To enforce anonymity and consistency, cards will become written when posted up. The contestant can further elaborate how their card is supposed to work for more consistent PSCT.
  • In case of downtime or emergencies, the deadlines may be extended.

Rewards:

• The winner gets a rep from the loser.
  • All voters get a rep for voting.

Deadlines:

• Contestants have 48 hours to submit their entries after the challenge has been accepted.
  • In case of a challenger failing to meet the above deadline without explanation, the challenger slot will open up again, at which point it becomes first-come-first-serve between the previous challengers and new submissions.
  • The contest ends a week after both contestants' cards are posted up.

Requirement:

• Create a Trap Card that destroys Spell/Trap Cards as its only or one of its effects.

Card A:

Confiscation of Contraband
Normal Trap
Activate this card when your Opponent sets a Spell/Trap card. Pay 500 Life Points to target to the Face Down Card; Flip the card Face Up (it's effects are not activated), the apply the appropriate effect;
• Spell Card; the card is destroyed, and your Opponent loses 400 Life Points
• Trap Card; the card is destroyed, and during your Stand-By Phase you can discard 1 card in your hand to add the destroyed card to your hand.

Card B:

Hammerblow

Continuous Trap

Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can discard 1 card, then target 1 Spell/Trap card on the field; destroy it. If this card is destroyed: You can target 1 face-up monster on the field; destroy it. You can only use this effect of "Hammerblow" once per turn.

I will vote for Card B as it is a Continuous Trap that can keep on activating each turn and if it gets destroyed you can destroy a monster on the field. Card A is nice as it can add a destroyed Trap Card to your hand for the cost of discarding a card and inflict damage for destroying Spells but Card B is still better imo.

Card A is nice. It allows you to steal trap cards yourself, especially cards like the Solemns or any Mirror Force variants. Its effect for spell cards is kind of weak though especially since it just burns. Overall its activation is nice since the set cards cant react to it.

Card B is basically a weaker Trap version of twin twister and it stays on the field so its susceptible to things like MST. It has a simple target destroy monster effect upon destruction though which is okay but considering cards these days, it isnt quite that good.

Card A gets my vote solely for that Trap steal effect and its activation window is pretty nice.

I will vote for Card B as it is a Continuous Trap that can keep on activating each turn and if it gets destroyed you can destroy a monster on the field. Card A is nice as it can add a destroyed Trap Card to your hand for the cost of discarding a card and inflict damage for destroying Spells but Card B is still better imo.

Going to object to this one as it just talks about the effects without talking about impact. Please talk about potential uses for each card. For example, a possible Deck it can be played it that can best utilize it. If there is any objection to my ruling, you may appeal it to one of the CC mods.

Card A

The timing window is very narrow, and it's quite likely that the card will get extinguished before it can even move. So, what's the reward to offset it being this cumbersome? If you destroy a Spell, not only have you probably snuffed out a bluff but you get a meager bit of burn on top. A very weak outcome On the other hand, if you take out a Trap, which is the more likely situation, you can also snatch it during the next Standby Phase, and given the general splashability of Traps being run, with a very occasional archetype-specific outlier, it's usually worth the discard.

Regardless, you've picked off something which could be a problem and since that card was recently Set (barring Temple of Kings) it can't react. Not bad.

Card B

If you run a Deck which keeps good hand maintenance, this card can be potentially useful in turning anything into a MST... if Twin Twister wasn't the anti-backrow standard. The last effect of popping a monster is cool as it does not discriminate whether it was face-up or face-down or who popped it, but the combination of "target", "face-up", and "destroy" criteria makes it less desirable for taking out threats.

Verdict

Card B is fair, but feels too underwhelming. Card A at least has something unique that makes it stand out. Vote to Card A.

Going to object to this one as it just talks about the effects without talking about impact. Please talk about potential uses for each card. For example, a possible Deck it can be played it that can best utilize it. If there is any objection to my ruling, you may appeal it to one of the CC mods.

Ok I will try to talk more about potential uses in Decks and stuff in the future.

Ok iam going to vote again.

Note:

I read Card B's effect incorrectly at first because I thought it destroyed a monster after destroying a Spell/Trap but that effect actually activates at destrucrion which is why I voted for it.

Card A:

This card is pretty good for stealing Traps like Solemn,Mirror Force,Hole and its Spell effect isn't too bad too at least the card gets destroyed even if 400 damage is mediocre

Card B:

It is basically MST that keeps activating every turn for the cost of discarding a card but it can get easily destroyed with Twin Twister/MST but at least if it gets destroyed you can destroy a monster.

Card B isn't too bad but Card A is imo much better solely because of the Trap stealing effect.

Archived