Shining Fallen Angel

The Nyx Avatar

CLnE4Zq.jpg

Pendulum Effect: Once per turn: You can discard 1 card; draw 1 card.

Monster Effect: When this card is Synchro Summoned: You can Special Summon up to 2 LIGHT or DARK monsters from your Graveyard. If you do, destroy them during the End Phase. You can only activate this effect of "Shining Fallen Angel" once per turn. During your Main Phase: You can place this card in an empty Pendulum Card Zone.

That Pendulum effect is well balanced. You have to be playing with a deck that likes getting things discarded, and it's only a +0. However, I think the scale on it is a little low, maybe make it a scale 3 since it's pretty generic.

As for the monster effect, thanks for putting an HOPT so you can't just reuse the tuner and non-tuner for multiple summons of this card. Ultimately, looks pretty good as a generic Synchro Pendulum monster.

Aw, I was hoping for a Darklord version of "Shining Angel" or something silly like that xD

Anyway, the Pendulum Scale effect outright outclasses Card Trader, but Card Trader is such an unimpressive card that it being outclassed shouldn't be an issue. Besides, a Synchro Pendulum it requires resources an effort to be Summoned and eventually reach a Pendulum Zone anyway.

But the second effect... it reeks to me of Synchro laddering, overextending and Quasar shenanigans; or at the very least revive the same materials you used for its Summon, if they were LIGHT or DARK, to Synchro Summon another Synchro5, such as Accel Synchron for Ultimaya or mill a Level2 Synchron for Quasar...

I personally am against these kind of effects that may potentially break Quasar play-styles by making them more consistent or feasible, but leaving my bias aside, it should be fun and enable interesting plays, in addition to potentially becoming a relevant boon for Synchro decks. The Ultimaya play sounds scary to me but take it as a grain of salt since I'm not too close with the meta and don't know how overwhelming Ultimaya can be; I mean, I don't see things such as Ultimaya focused-decks destroying the meta.

That Pendulum effect is well balanced. You have to be playing with a deck that likes getting things discarded, and it's only a +0. However, I think the scale on it is a little low, maybe make it a scale 3 since it's pretty generic.

No; it takes more effort to set this one up as opposed to adding/drawing it and then placing it in an unoccupied Pendulum Zone.

As for the monster effect, thanks for putting an HOPT so you can't just reuse the tuner and non-tuner for multiple summons of this card. Ultimately, looks pretty good as a generic Synchro Pendulum monster.

Yeah; I noticed without it, you'd be capable of Summoning three of these and another Synchro monster or two, which is ridiculous to say the least.

But the second effect... it reeks to me of Synchro laddering, overextending and Quasar shenanigans; or at the very least revive the same materials you used for its Summon, if they were LIGHT or DARK, to Synchro Summon another Synchro5, such as Accel Synchron for Ultimaya or mill a Level2 Synchron for Quasar...

I personally am against these kind of effects that may potentially break Quasar play-styles by making them more consistent or feasible, but leaving my bias aside, it should be fun and enable interesting plays, in addition to potentially becoming a relevant boon for Synchro decks. The Ultimaya play sounds scary to me but take it as a grain of salt since I'm not too close with the meta and don't know how overwhelming Ultimaya can be; I mean, I don't see things such as Ultimaya focused-decks destroying the meta.

Yeah; you really seem biased in a majority of your reviews/critiques.

But which Decks exactly would be able to set up Ultimaya?

Hmm... I know of Ultimaya Hieratic variants that can Summon it relatively early through Labradorite. I also read about Gofu being teched in Metalfoes and other decks or something among those lines; but I don't think either of them made enough noise in the meta, maybe they did in OCG, IDK. Also it is an option in Yang Zings now that they got that new Synchro Tuner Wangtianhou, but apparently it's more an overkill in that deck, in that they got enough tools and plays to stand against the opponent without the need of Ultimaya nor spending Extra Deck space on it.

Other YCMers who stay closer to the meta and/or the OCG should be able to give you a more elaborate answer.

Now, with this card around, if you can make a Sychro5 with LIGHTs or DARKs, then you can pretty much Summon Ultimaya right there, without the need for your deck to focus on it nor run techs in the Main deck to access it. To mention examples of cards that can set up it rather cheaply: Alien Ammonite (+ revive Alien Kid), Junk Synchron (+ revive a Level2 DARK). Granted, neither are exactly relevant at the moment, but I point them out as a sort of "tip of the iceberg".

And... I may seem biased, but I actually try to put my bias aside and review from a balance and fairness perspective. Here in this thread I mentioned my personal bias precisely to present myself from a more impartial standpoint; as in, I may not be a fan of Synchro laddering playstyles, but I acknowledge that they aren't necessarily bad or problematic for the game. However, I do find concerning that a Synchro5 is capable of producing an Ultimaya on its own.

Not to mention that reviving any 2 LIGHTs or DARKs, without any kind of restrictions, such as a Level range, is quite strong on its own, even if they would be destroyed at the End Phase since naturally you will strive towards making a Synchro or Xyz with them before the turn ends, and chances are that, after Synchro Summoning this, you will have at least 1 Tuner to revive and Synchro Summon with.

At the very least, I would make it Summon the monsters in Defense Position so you can't inflict heavy damage by reviving 2 beaters.

Oh, and scratch what I said about Accel Synchron and Quasar on my previous posts: Quasar would still need another non-Tuner Synchro to be Summoned, so this + Level7 Accel Synchron won't work as I initially thought. Still... in Quasar/Synchron Decks this card can revive Formula Synchron, Tuningware, Doppelwarrior, T.G Hyper Librarian and whatever DARK/LIGHT monsters they use, for extended combos.

Hmm... I know of Ultimaya Hieratic variants that can Summon it relatively early through Labradorite. I also read about Gofu being teched in Metalfoes and other decks or something among those lines; but I don't think either of them made enough noise in the meta, maybe they did in OCG, IDK. Also it is an option in Yang Zings now that they got that new Synchro Tuner Wangtianhou, but apparently it's more an overkill in that deck, in that they got enough tools and plays to stand against the opponent without the need of Ultimaya nor spending Extra Deck space on it.

Other YCMers who stay closer to the meta and/or the OCG should be able to give you a more elaborate answer.

Now, with this card around, if you can make a Sychro5 with LIGHTs or DARKs, then you can pretty much Summon Ultimaya right there, without the need for your deck to focus on it nor run techs in the Main deck to access it. To mention examples of cards that can set up it rather cheaply: Alien Ammonite (+ revive Alien Kid), Junk Synchron (+ revive a Level2 DARK). Granted, neither are exactly relevant at the moment, but I point them out as a sort of "tip of the iceberg".

And... I may seem biased, but I actually try to put my bias aside and review from a balance and fairness perspective. Here in this thread I mentioned my personal bias precisely to present myself from a more impartial standpoint; as in, I may not be a fan of Synchro laddering playstyles, but I acknowledge that they aren't necessarily bad or problematic for the game. However, I do find concerning that a Synchro5 is capable of producing an Ultimaya on its own.

Not to mention that reviving any 2 LIGHTs or DARKs, without any kind of restrictions, such as a Level range, is quite strong on its own, even if they would be destroyed at the End Phase since naturally you will strive towards making a Synchro or Xyz with them before the turn ends, and chances are that, after Synchro Summoning this, you will have at least 1 Tuner to revive and Synchro Summon with.

At the very least, I would make it Summon the monsters in Defense Position so you can't inflict heavy damage by reviving 2 beaters.

Oh, and scratch what I said about Accel Synchron and Quasar on my previous posts: Quasar would still need another non-Tuner Synchro to be Summoned, so this + Level7 Accel Synchron won't work as I initially thought. Still... in Quasar/Synchron Decks this card can revive Formula Synchron, Tuningware, Doppelwarrior, T.G Hyper Librarian and whatever DARK/LIGHT monsters they use, for extended combos.

So really the only Decks that'd build this is Synchron and Yang Zing. At least for the purposes of Ultimaya.

And isn't Yang Zing a bit sluggish?

Actually, last time I checked Yang Zings gained a huge power boost after the new Synchro Tuner and Counter Trap, or at the very least the Metalfoes variant did. AFAIK they were able to stand against top tier OCG decks, but I have not looked up if they have actually won any noteworthy/big OCG tournament nor any metagame statistics for me to say if they are actually relevant or not.

As for Synchrons, they already find their way to Summon a Quasar through Synchro5s such as T.G. Hyper Librarian, so in theory this card would only enable them to skip a few steps in their Quasar-Summoning combos, if not Summon a 2nd one, which may or may not get scary.

Actually, last time I checked Yang Zings gained a huge power boost after the new Synchro Tuner and Counter Trap, or at the very least the Metalfoes variant did. AFAIK they were able to stand against top tier OCG decks, but I have not looked up if they have actually won any noteworthy/big OCG tournament nor any metagame statistics for me to say if they are actually relevant or not.

As for Synchrons, they already find their way to Summon a Quasar through Synchro5s such as T.G. Hyper Librarian, so in theory this card would only enable them to skip a few steps in their Quasar-Summoning combos, if not Summon a 2nd one, which may or may not get scary.

I mean in terms of getting on the field in the first place, as most of them are dependant on being destroyed to Special Summon.

I mean in terms of getting on the field in the first place, as most of them are dependant on being destroyed to Special Summon.

Oh, that's where the Metalfoes come in, or Sky Iris in some variants, to destroy them and make them float, then look up for Jiatou, Zefraniu, etc. The new Synchro Tuner Yang Zing also gives them a boost of speed with its searching effects.

Oh, that's where the Metalfoes come in, or Sky Iris in some variants, to destroy them and make them float, then look up for Jiatou, Zefraniu, etc. The new Synchro Tuner Yang Zing also gives them a boost of speed with its searching effects.

Fair enough. Besides, it's really the only Synchro Summoning Deck right now that's come close to being competitive.

Archived