[Leaderboard] Rainbow Quasar vs Black D'Sceptyr (Closed)

Abdelrahman

Rules:

▪ All Leaderboard rules apply

▪ Best of 3 votes, or most votes by deadline wins.

▪ All voters must elaborate on their votes.

▪ Both contestants have the right to refuse votes, but must explain why they refuse the vote.

▪ You are permitted to vote C if you do not feel that either card deserves to win by virtue of design.

▪ Cards must be PM'd to me, preferably written.

▪ Non-Written cards will be converted into written format to ensure anonymity.

▪ Remove any evidence of the card being made by you to ensure anonymity.

▪ In case a downtime or an emergency happens, the deadlines may be extended.

Deadlines:

▪ The deadline for entries is 2 days after accepting a challenger.

▪ The contest ends 3 days after the cards are uploaded.

▪ In case of a challenger failing to meet the above deadline without explanation, the challenger slot will open up again, at which point it becomes first-come-first-serve between the previous challenger's and new submissions.

Rewards:

▪ The winner gets a rep from the loser.

▪ All voters get a rep for voting.

Requirements:

▪ Challenger's choice. (Frogs)

Entries:

[spoiler=Card A]Mourning Star Frog

WATER / Level 4

Aqua/Synchro/Effect

Lore: 1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Aqua-Type monsters

For this card's Synchro Summon, you can treat 1 "Toad" monster you control as a Tuner. When this card is Synchro Summoned, if you control no other monsters: You can Special Summon up to 2 "Frog" monsters with the same name from your Main or Extra Deck, except "Mourning Star Frog" or "Frog the Jam". They gain 2 Levels, also their original ATK becomes 2000. Other monsters on the field with exactly 2000 or 3000 ATK cannot attack. When this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can destroy 1 card on the field.

2000/200

[spoiler=Card B]Inverted Frog

WATER / Level 2

Aqua/Effect

When this card is Normal Summoned: You can add 1 WATER Aqua-Type monster from your Deck to your hand. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 WATER Aqua-Type monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it. You can only activate each effect of "Inverted Frog" once per turn.

500/1000

Card B first, because combos. You SS Swap Frog, by discarding anything, and mill this card. You then SS it with its own effect, and return it to your hand with Swap Frog's effect. Then you NS it now that you have an extra Normal Summon from Swap Frog, and get your search. All this without having Normal Summoned, and you just have to draw Swap Frog and this card. The saving grace in this aspect is the fact that it has HOPT on both effects, whereas most cards normally don't, because they don't have Swap Frog in their archetypes. I'm unsure how good this is, as while it does give the archetype an boost, it's probably too much.

Card A is mostly fine, allowing you to easily R4/R3 in frogs. Swap Frog combined with this card would allow for a double mill, which would mostly likely allow for a Treatoad on top of these beaters, coming up to 8k+ ATK. The problem is with the way the effect is currently worded; split into different sentences. This means that the "other" referred to in the card text is just part of the main monster's effects, meaning all you can do with your Summoned monsters is use them as materials or use their effects....you know, now that I think about it, that's not a bad thing. It provides the card with an extra nerf, and allows you to play passively incase you didn't want to immediately treatoad. Nuke effect is nice.

Vote for A, as I feel it's more balanced and has less breaking potential than B.

Card A is litteraly useless in a pure frog deck because Ronintoadin can't be used as synchro material, and treatoad doesn't have a level so it can't be used either. That aside, there are searchable water aqua tuners in the form of ice barrier dewdark and graydle baby slime. Both take up the normal summon, though, but if you're playing frogs right you already have a frog on the field. Its summoning effect is kinda limited to either first turn or post-raigeki/dark hole/ whatever front row wipe, so if you don't draw into your tuners turn 1, you're deader than a doornail. Also due to the wording of part 2 of the effect, (I think) you won't be able to summon treatoad with this. Giving access to r4nk is nice, and so is nontargeting removal. However, because it's a "when" effect, it has to be the last thing to happen in a chain, which means that it is possible to get around it. 

Card B is a versatile tool that frogs can actually use quite well. Being able to search essentially any main deck monster is great, especially when you don't draw into swap turn 1 and can't make treatoad to search it out. That said, the combo dova mentioned above is very potent, and as such can be abused, but because frogs are fragile I think that they won't jump to tier 0 if they get one of these. Not only that, but this card is great for hybrid variants like ice barrier and graydle, since they can search out the important tuners I mentioned in card a's vote as well as prior of the ice barrier in the frozen frog variant. 

Overall, Card A seems like it doesn't do enough for frogs while Card B fills a much-needed niche. Card B gets it. 

Rejecting Dova's vote because as Kitty mentioned, Card A can't be summoned in a pure Frog deck. Kitty, your vote is accepted. 1-0 to Card B, unless BDS has anything to say.

FACEPALM

I thought it said "frog". That's what I get for not reading.

Vote for B, as A can barely be used.

None whatsoever. In fact, it was a massive mistake on my part for the Tuner requirement. I own it.

UPDATE: WAITASEC-

Rejecting Dova's vote because as Kitty mentioned, Card A can't be summoned in a pure Frog deck. Kitty, your vote is accepted. 1-0 to Card B, unless BDS has anything to say.

...can't you can use Tradetoad for the tuner requirement? An' don't that card Summon Frogs? In fact, was MADE as an alternate to Summoning them from Substitoad?

B'cause purity ain't exactly the baseline for whether something qualifies as support. See Hundred-Eyes Dragon (made for an Archetype whose pure members are all 2 higher than it, but tutors any one of them on destruction) and Dark Flattop (supports an Archetype with no Tuners, but still summons their boss by name.)

In short: yeah, I'm contending.

The thing about tradetoad, though, is that it's level 1. Unless you're running graydles, you can't really summon Card A with tradetoad. I did adress the fact of other tuners and why they aren't the best idea in my eyes in my vote, too, so I don't see why my vote should be discounted.

Well this is a fun train of rejects. I hope i can break it.

Card A: Level 4, non-generic, Special Summons 2 frogs from the Deck and boosts their levels and their (mostly lacking) ATK. This card would honestly take the cake and I'd be all for it, if it wasn't for the little oversight that is its Summoning Condition. If Ronintoadin was actually "Ronintoadin" on the field, and not "Des Frog", AND could be used as Synchro Material, this card would be absolutely wonderful and it could lead you to some amazing fields. Just imagine the combos: Summon this, Special 2 Swap Frog, mill any 2 frogs you like and go for Treatoad. BUT since it has its condition, and Tradetoad is as much of a joke as Performapal Turn Toad is (which could summon it btw), it's basically not summonable in frogs. You don't run Level 3 monsters, so Treatoad falls out of questions in 2 ways. Good idea, but that mistake is not forgivable - especially if there are no real tuners you want to run in frogs. Which is the case.

Card B: Very Strong support in the sense that it fixes brick hands via search, triggers off of being discarded as cost or sent to the Graveyard both by Swap Frog, this card might even make Frogs tier 1 just because of Treatoad and it. You just need 1 WATER monster and Swap Frog, you mill this, Special Summon itself with its effect (which it shouldn't do!), bounce it with Swap Frog and search a Frog to make further plays with. Or you just have Inverted Frog and another WATER in hand, you Normal Summon this, search Swap Frog, discard the WATER to send Inverted Frog from the Deck and then Special Summon the just-milled Inverted or the discarded WATER to Xyz for Treatoad or do whatever you want. I'd say it's broken, but it works, so it gets the vote from me. (Funny that it can summon Testudo Erat Numen or Numen Erat Testudo tho.)

Voting for Card B.

Ok, you know what, I take back rejecting Dova and Kitty's votes, because relying on a single level 1 card to summon Card A makes it hard to summon due to a limited number of cards that can be used as Materials. So unless BDS specifies anything in particular against the votes, it'll be 3-0 to Card B.

Archived