Jinx

The Nyx Avatar

Bad luck, bad bad luck, bad luck, you're just bad luck . . .

This archetype is composed of monsters of varied Types and Attributes, focusing on various things that are just unfortunate. Most of them are named after things that are bad luck in one culture or another- black cats, sweeping your feet, whistling at night, mythical bad luck like Ifrits- and their Attribute and Type are reflective of their brand of misfortune. 

All of their primary effects are based on die rolls, with most results on the die turning out poorly for you . . . but the positive effects are really, immensely good, usually saddling your opponent with the same restriction you would have gotten from the negative effect, plus giving you some other advantage.

Because this archetype is so heavily luck-based, you think it would be utterly awful . . . if it weren't for their support cards. These run the gamut from mitigating your bad luck, to actual attempts to give you good luck (fixing your die rolls in one way or another), and if you want to run pure Jinx these are a must. 

Also, some of them have secondary non-luck-based effects, which are pretty solid regardless.

Given their varying Attributes and Types, there isn't a whole lot of real cards that they can use. There's a few hinted ones like Rekindling with Pyromaniac and Recurring Nightmare with Maniac, Reinforcement of the Army for Hunter, and That Six for all of the monsters.

[spoiler=Show Monster Cards]

pC0vHWS.jpg

EARTH

Level 4

Warrior/Effect

ATK:1900

DEF:100

Once per turn: You can roll a six-sided die. If the result is 1-3, destroy 1 monster you control. If the result is 4-5: You can destroy 1 monster your opponent controls.  If the result is 6: You can destroy 1 monster your opponent controls and Special Summon 1 monster from your Graveyard.

SZpv9uS.jpg

DARK
Level 4

Spellcaster/Effect

ATK:1750

DEF:0

Once per turn: You can roll a six-sided die. If the result is 1-3: Banish 1 monster you control. If the result is 4-5: You can banish 1 monster your opponent controls.  If the result is 6: You can banish 1 monster your opponent controls and increase the ATK of 1 monster you control by 1000

QrIZQmO.jpg

LIGHT

Level 4

Fairy/Effect

ATK:1500

DEF:1500

Once per turn: You can roll a six-sided die. If the result is 1-3: Discard 1 card from your hand. If the result is 4-5: You can discard 1 random card from your opponent's hand. If the result is 6: You can discard 1 random card from your opponent's hand and draw 1 card.

KubPhd4.jpg

WIND

Level 4

Psychic/Effect

ATK:1600

DEF:1600

Once per turn: You can roll a six-sided die. If the result is 1-3: Send 1 monster you control to the Graveyard. If the result is 4-5: You can send 1 monster your opponent controls to the Graveyard. If the result is 6: You can send 1 monster your opponent controls to the Graveyard and Special Summon 1 "Jinx" monster from your hand.

WBv1kva.jpg

WATER

Level 5

Dragon/Effect

ATK:2500

DEF:1000

Once per turn: You can roll a six-sided die. If the result is 1-3: Send the top card of your Deck to the Graveyard. If the result is 4-5: You can send the top card of your opponent's Deck to the Graveyard. If the result is 6: You can send the top card of your opponent's Deck to the Graveyard and Special Summon 1 "Jinx" monster with a different name from your Deck.

0vynUs8.jpg

FIRE

Level 3

Pyro/Effect

ATK:1400

DEF:200

Once per turn: You can roll a six-sided die. If the result is 1-3: Shuffle 1 card you control into the Deck. If the result is 4-5: You can shuffle 1 card your opponent controls into the Deck. If the result is 6: You can shuffle 1 card your opponent controls into the Deck and look through your Deck; place 1 card from your Deck on top of your Deck.

[spoiler=Show Spell Cards]

hc0GwGz.jpg

Continuous Spell Card

Once per monster, if a "Jinx" monster activates an effect that rolls a six-sided die: You can re-roll. If this card is destroyed: You can target 1 monster with an effect that requires a dice roll; activate 1 of its result's effects.

fIYIxUl.jpg

Quick-Play Spell Card

Discard 1 "Jinx" monster; draw 2 cards. During either player's turn, if a "Jinx" monster would leave the field: You can banish this card from your Graveyard instead.

NdTIvLP.png

Normal Spell Card

Add 1 "Jinx" monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only activate this effect of "Jinx Sparkle" once per turn. During either player's turn, if a card activates an effect that rolls a six-sided die: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; re-roll.

[spoiler=Show Trap Cards]

0e01vTy.jpg

Continuous Trap Card

If this card is activated: You can Special Summon 1 "Jinx" monster from your hand or Graveyard. While this card is face-up on the field, "Jinx" monsters cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects. If this card leaves the field: Destroy any monster Summoned by this card's effect.

TQga7cp.png

Normal Trap Card

Activate if you roll a six-sided die. The die result is treated as 6. During either player's turn, if a "Jinx" monster you control is destroyed: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; Special Summon 1 "Jinx" monster from your hand.

[spoiler=Show Monster Cards]

IcqRoKR.jpg

LIGHT

Level 8

Fiend/Fusion/Effect

ATK:?
DEF:3000

2 "Jinx" monsters
Cannot be used as a Fusion Material. Must first be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by sending the above cards from your side of the field to the Graveyard. (You do not use "Polymerization".) The original ATK of this card is equal to the combined original ATK of the Fusion Materials used to Summon this card. Once per turn: You can shuffle 1 "Jinx" monster from your Graveyard into your Deck; activate its effect.

Warning, I might be a bit blunt and harsh, but this is kinda necessary. I've also been working a bit with dice, and this is definitely not a step in the right direction. The problem is not that the effects are luck based, but the effects in themselves don't have consistencies with your intentions, and you aren't really doing anything interesting with the dice itself.

• For starters, the distribution should probably be 1 for the negative effect, 2-5 for the typical but useful effect, and 6 has a bonus. Still has luck but luck doesn't define your setup. Your effects have all the effects have HALF a chance at going very badly. If I’ve learned anything from Arcana Force, that is never a good idea.

• Jinx Draw isn't dice related. 

• The problem I mentioned previously. The effects should have similar outcomes if you wanted to use the effect at a particular point in time. I would look at it like this (with official OCG wordings):

Solemn’s Gambling Habits
Trap - Counter
When your opponent would Summon a monster, or activate a monster’s effect: You can roll a six-sided die, then apply the result.
● 1: Negate the effect of that monster and 1 monster you control.
● 2, 3, 4, 5: Negate that monster’s effect.
● 6: Negate that monster’s effect, and if you do, destroy it.

The card while luck based, has 1 effect consistent amongst everything: negating a monster’s effect. You could possibly get situations where you still screw yourself over, or you could get lucky and destroy the monster, but otherwise, it’s your usual card with some variable in outcome.

While this isn’t as fun, there are other ways of setting it up of course, but seriously don’t make it that big of a chance of screwing yourself over. One of my ideas was that I’d make a D&D archetype with effects that could interval increase a dice roll’s number, which could cancel out the low roll effects and increase the chance at high level effects. It would be similar to how D&D actually works, and could be really interesting as an archetype in itself.

Warning, I might be a bit blunt and harsh, but this is kinda necessary. I've also been working a bit with dice, and this is definitely not a step in the right direction. The problem is not that the effects are luck based, but the effects in themselves don't have consistencies with your intentions, and you aren't really doing anything interesting with the dice itself.

[*]

For starters, the distribution should probably be 1 for the negative effect, 2-5 for the typical but useful effect, and 6 has a bonus. Still has luck but luck doesn't define your setup. Your effects have all the effects have HALF a chance at going very badly. If I’ve learned anything from Arcana Force, that is never a good idea.

I'm basing my results on this:

That would go against the flavor of the prompt, Eshai. They're supposed to be high-risk, high-reward. Like, 1-3 hurting you, 4-5 hurting your opponent the exact same way, and 6 being immensely, stupidly good, by both directly helping you and hurting your opponent. Or, alternatively, most results doing literally nothing but wasting your time and making you pay a cost.

Jinx Draw isn't dice related.

I know. With many other archetypes from the club, I will try to follow the prompt, but that doesn't mean I won't take a few liberties.

Archived