[AGM, Written] Paraphys - Wyrm Corruption!

Draconus297

[spoiler= Prompt]

Paraphys

It's basically the DARK counterpart of Metaphys: DARK, Wyrm transformations of legendary monsters. However, while Metaphys, or "Metaphyzation" is reserved for creatures (Dragons, Sea Serpents, Winged Beasts, etc.), Paraphys only affect humans and anthropomorphic Fairy, Fiend, Spellcaster and Warrior monsters, namely Dark Blade, Grepher, Gearfried, Gilford, Mefist the general, Hyperion, Parshath, Voltanis, Zerato, etc. Just picture these warriors, devils and angels turning into majestic, but DARK, Wyrms.

Like Metaphys, Paraphys also rely on banishment and have floating effects in some way when they are banished; unlike Metaphys however, they trade weaker on-field effects (they don't mass-banish like Metaphys Daedalus and Nephthys do) for faster on-banish floating effects, in that they don't have to wait for the next Standby Phase to activate; in other words, they trade power for speed. Thus, they benefit from cards like Allure of Darkness.

ATTEMPT. NUMBER. THREE.

So, yeah, this got eaten by YCM twice. In that time, I grew incredibly frustrated, especially because I was DONE the second time. This is just me quickly rewriting everything, so there might be a few errors here and there in the card text as I furiously retype every last card in the set.

ANYWAY

I'm not using every last example the prompt gives- for example, Gilford would bring us into either instant field nuke territory (which was a specific no-no) or a pointless Equip-based effect in an archetype that has no call for Equips. Instead, I'm using the fact that Spellcasters were mentioned to add in a few of my own interesting choices for Paraphys rebirth.

This archetype is all about the grind game and running the opponent out of resources, because while their effects aren't powerful, the infinite recursion from the self-Summon effect will make sure their board can't truly die. Also, Dragon Ruler flashbacks, for anyone who might still be traumatized: Gold Sarcophagus is "Summon the thing now lol" again.

If someone wants artwork inspiration, essentially this is each monster being corrupted by draconic body parts- claws, scales, big frickin' dragon wings, etc.- but with this malicious, sick grin on their faces (for the ones we can see the faces of), because this new power is thrilling and overwhelming.

Also, something something Metaphys Chaos, something something about the AGM using essentially Series 9.5 card grammar, something something we call it a Banished Zone.

[spoiler= Monsters]

Paraphys Aleister

DARK - Level 4 - Wyrm/Effect - 1000/1800

When this monster is Summoned, you can add 1 "Paraphys" Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your hand. During either player's turn, you can send this card from your hand or side of the field to the Graveyard to target 1 face-up "Paraphys" monster you control: That target gains 1000 ATK, until the End Phase. During the End Phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can Special Summon this monster from your Banished Zone (you can only activate this effect of this card's name once per turn).

Paraphys Disciple

DARK - Level 4 - Wyrm/Effect - 1100/600

If this monster is Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 Level 4 "Paraphys" monster from your Deck in face-up Defense Position (You can only activate this effect of this card's name once per turn). If this card is Tributed or banished for the Summon of a "Paraphys" monster, you can send 1 "Paraphys" monster from your Deck to the Graveyard: Banish 1 card from your Graveyard. During the End Phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can Special Summon this monster from your Banished Zone (you can only activate this effect of this card's name once per turn).

Paraphys Shadow Blade

DARK - Level 4 - Wyrm/Effect - 1500/1000

When this monster is Normal Summoned, you can send 1 "Paraphys" monster from your Deck to the Graveyard. Once per turn, as a Quick Effect, you can banish 1 Wyrm-Type monster from your Graveyard to target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls: That target loses 600 ATK, also this monster gains that lost ATK until the End Phase. During the End Phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can Special Summon this monster from your Banished Zone (you can only activate this effect of this card's name once per turn).

Paraphys Valkyria

DARK - Level 4 - Wyrm/Effect - 1600/1800

Your opponent cannot target "Paraphys" monsters you control for attacks or effects, except this one. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can banish 1 Wyrm-Type monster from your Graveyard to target 1 face-up card your opponent controls: That target's effects are negated, and cannot be activated, for the rest of this turn. During the End Phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can Special Summon this monster from your Banished Zone (you can only activate this effect of this card's name once per turn).

Paraphys Lucius

DARK - Level 4 - Wyrm/Effect - 1700/600

At the start of the Battle Phase, you can banish 1 Wyrm-Type monster from your Graveyard: Your opponent's monster effects cannot activate until the end of Main Phase 2. At the end of the Battle Phase, if this card destroyed a monster by battle this turn, you can Tribute this face-up card to Special Summon 1 "Paraphys" monster from your hand. During the End Phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can Special Summon this monster from your Banished Zone (you can only activate this effect of this card's name once per turn).

Paraphys Pathfinder

DARK - Level 4 - Wyrm/Effect - 1800/800

If this monster is Summoned: You can select and activate 1 of the following effects:

●Activate 1 "Paraphys Stronghold" from your Graveyard or Banished Zone.

●Banish 1 Wyrm-Type monster from your field or Graveyard: Banish 1 Spell/Trap Card your opponent controls.

During the first End Phase after this card was banished, you can Special Summon this monster from your Banished Zone (you can only activate this effect of this card's name once per turn).

Paraphys Parshath

DARK - Level 5 - Wyrm/Effect - 1900/1400

Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can banish 1 Wyrm-Type monster from your Graveyard: Change the battle positions of a number of monsters on the field up to the number of "Paraphys" monsters you control. If this monster inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent: Draw 1 card. During the End Phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can Special Summon this monster from your Banished Zone (you can only activate this effect of this card's name once per turn).

Paraphys Shogun

DARK - Level 6 - Wyrm/Effect - 1550/2500

This card can attack in Defense Position, using its ATK for damage calculation. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can banish 1 Wyrm-Type monster from the Graveyard: "Paraphys" monsters you control gain ATK equal to half their DEF, until the End Phase. During the End Phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can Special Summon this monster from your Banished Zone (you can only activate this effect of this card's name once per turn).

Paraphys Rival

DARK - Level 6 - Wyrm/Effect - 2200/2300

If this card is Special Summoned, you can target 1 "Paraphys" monster in your Graveyard or Banished Zone: Special Summon that target, then banish 1 Level 4 or lower "Paraphys" monster from your Deck. If a Spell/Trap card or effect is activated, you can banish this face-up monster: Add 1 Level 5 or lower "Paraphys" monster from your Deck to your hand. During the End Phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can Special Summon this monster from your Banished Zone (you can only activate this effect of this card's name once per turn).

Paraphys Queen

DARK - Level 6 - Wyrm/Effect - 2400/1800

"Paraphys" monsters you control cannot be destroyed by battle. If a "Paraphys" monster you control battles your opponent's monster, you can banish 1 Wyrm-Type monster from your Graveyard: All monsters your opponent controls lose 500 ATK and DEF, and if a monster your opponent controls is destroyed by this battle, you can Special Summon 1 Level 5 or lower "Paraphys" monster from your Deck. During the End Phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can Special Summon this monster from your Banished Zone (you can only activate this effect of this card's name once per turn).

Paraphys Magician

DARK - Level 6 - Wyrm/Effect - 2500/1500

Once per turn, you can banish 1 Wyrm-Type monster from your Graveyard to destroy 1 Spell/Trap Card on the field (Your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in response to this effect, also the destroyed card cannot activate its effects in the Graveyard). During the End Phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can Special Summon this monster from your Banished Zone (you can only activate this effect of this card's name once per turn), and if you do, you can banish up to 2 cards from your opponent's Graveyard.

Paraphys Hyperion

DARK - Level 8 - Wyrm/Effect - 2700/2100

You can Special Summon this monster (from your hand) by banishing 1 "Paraphys" monster from your hand or field. Once per turn, you can banish 1 Wyrm-Type monster from your Graveyard to destroy 1 card your opponent controls. If you control "Paraphys Stronghold", this effect becomes a Quick Effect. During the End Phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can Special Summon this monster from your Banished Zone (you can only activate this effect of this card's name once per turn).

Paraphys Gilford

DARK - Level 8 - Wyrm/Effect - 2800/1400

When this card is Normal Summoned, destroy all monsters on the field, then each player must banish 1 card they controlled that was destroyed by this effect (you cannot select this card). When this card is Special Summoned, you can banish 1 "Paraphys" monster from your Graveyard to destroy all Spell/Trap Cards on the field, except "Paraphys Stronghold". During the End Phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can Special Summon this monster from your Banished Zone (you can only activate this effect of this card's name once per turn).

Paraphys Voltanis

DARK - Level 8 - Wyrm/Effect - 2800/1400

If a "Paraphys" monster, except "Paraphys Voltanis" is Special Summoned to your field by its own effect: You can target 1 card your opponent controls; Regardless, you can Tribute the Summoned monster to Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, banish that target. During the End Phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can Special Summon this monster from your Banished Zone (you can only activate this effect of this card's name once per turn), and if you control "Paraphys Stronghold", you can banish 2 cards on the field or in the Graveyard, in any combination.

Paraphys Zerato

DARK - Level 8 - Wyrm/Effect - 2800/2300

If you control "Paraphys Stronghold", you can Special Summon this card from your hand or Graveyard by banishing 1 "Paraphys" monster you control. Once per turn, you can banish 1 "Paraphys" monster from your Graveyard to destroy all monsters your opponent controls whose ATK is less than or equal to this card's current ATK. During the End Phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can Special Summon this monster from your Banished Zone (you can only activate this effect of this card's name once per turn).

Paraphys Sorcerer

DARK - Level 9 - Wyrm/Effect - 3200/2800

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by banishing 2 face-up Wyrm-Type monsters you control. Once per turn, during either player's turn, if your opponent activates a Spell/Trap Card or effect, you can banish 1 Wyrm-Type monster from your hand: Negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card. During the End Phase, if this card was banished this turn, you can Special Summon this monster from your Banished Zone (you can only activate this effect of this card's name once per turn), and if you control "Paraphys Stronghold", banish as many Spell/Trap Cards from your opponent's Graveyard as possible, and increase the ATK of 1 face-up "Paraphys" monster you control by 100 for each card banished this way.

[spoiler= Spells/Trap]

Paraphys Stronghold

Field Spell

"Paraphys" monsters you control gain 100 ATK times their Level. While you control a face-up "Paraphys" monster, all damage you would take from your opponent's cards is halved. Once per turn, during either player's turn, if you would take damage, you can banish 1 "Paraphys" monster from your field or Graveyard: Reduce that damage by the ATK of the banished monster, and if the ATK of that banished monster is greater than the damage you would have taken, gain LP equal to the surplus.

Paraphys Selector

Normal Spell

If you control "Paraphys Stronghold", you can activate this card from your hand during your opponent's turn. Banish 1 Wyrm-Type monster from your Deck. You can banish this card from your Graveyard, except during the turn it was sent there: Add 1 "Paraphys" card from your Graveyard or Banished Zone to your hand, except "Paraphys Selector". You can only activate each effect of this card's name once per turn.

Paraphys Spirits

Normal Spell

Target 5 "Paraphys" cards with different names in your Banished Zone: Shuffle those targets into your Deck, then draw 1 card. If you control "Paraphys Stronghold", you can return those targets to the Graveyard, instead (you still draw the card). You can only activate 1 "Paraphys Spirits" per turn.

Paraphys Supremacy

Normal Spell

If there are 3 or more "Paraphys" monsters in your Banished Zone with different names: Draw 1 card. If you control "Paraphys Stronghold", you can draw 1 additional card for every 2 additional "Paraphys" monsters with different names in your Banished Zone. If a "Paraphys" monster(s) is sent to your Graveyard or Banished Zone, you can banish this card from your Graveyard: Special Summon 1 "Paraphys" monster from your Graveyard. You can only activate 1 effect of this card's name per turn, and you cannot activate effects of this card's name during two consecutive turns.

Paraphys Spears

Quick-Play Spell

If a "Paraphys" monster you control would be destroyed by battle or your opponent's card effect, you can pay 1500 LP: That monster is not destroyed, also it gains 500 ATK. If you control "Paraphys Stronghold", you can send 1 "Paraphys" monster from your Deck to the Graveyard instead of paying LP. You can only activate 1 "Paraphys Spears" per turn.

Paraphys Slashing

Continuous Trap

If you do not control a face-up "Paraphys" monster, banish this card. "Paraphys" monsters you control gain 300 ATK, also they inflict piercing Battle Damage. If a Wyrm-Type monster you control inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent: Banish 1 card from your opponent's hand at random. If you control "Paraphys Stronghold", your opponent cannot negate the Special Summon of a "Paraphys" monster.

Paraphys Sanctuary

Continuous Trap

This face-up card is treated as "Paraphys Stronghold". Once per turn, during either player's turn, if a "Paraphys" monster(s) is Special Summoned by its own effect, you can banish 1 card from your opponent's field and/or Graveyard for each. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can banish 1 card from each player's Graveyard. If this face-up card is destroyed or banished, Special Summon as many of your banished "Paraphys" monsters as possible (you can only activate this effect of this card's name once per turn). You can only control 1 "Paraphys Sanctuary".

I will review this one. It will probably be over a course of a few days, but I will get it done eventually. Let's start with the first three monsters. (I will try to guess what the "original" monster is on these as well)

Paraphys Aleister

(Obviously Aleister the Invoker)

I can't really judge the first part of the effect until I read the spells/traps, but that kind of effect usually is ok. As for it's second effect, I like how it resembles Aleister's original second effect. The third effect does not belong on this card as a single, but I realize all of them have this effect, and this must be the gimmick of the deck so, props to you there. Only problems I can see at all would be Gold Sarcophagus/Different Dimension Capsule, but you already covered those.

Paraphys Shadow Blade

(Pretty sure this is Dark Blade)

This card is BRUTAL! First, you can send ANY Paraphys monster to the Grave from your Deck, including a boss monster, then you can banish it to activate your effect which summons the monster the same turn, albeit the End Phase. Also, I can understand the loss of ATK for the opponent, but it might be too much gaining the same ATK for yourself...

I also just realized that a good summon spam card for this deck would be "Soul Release".

Paraphys Valkyria

(Possibly Dark Valkyria)

A taunting effect, like the original card is nice. Negation effect is nice, but it has the same problem Shadow Blade has. It can summon any one of your Paraphys monster AND gain it's effect. A solution to this would be limiting it to Level 4 or lower for most of them, or just delaying the time by 1 turn. Idk, but it seems overpowered as it is.

The End Phase delay is actually the primary balancing factor. Unless you open up with an Allure of Darkness and a hand full of bosses, or Stronghold/Shadow Blade/Zerato, you won't actively have a huge board, and even then you won't be able to do much with it. I was very careful in trying to prevent something stupid from happening, and I'd like you to notice a trend among the Level 4s- Shadow Blade's and Valkyria's banish-as-cost effects require your opponent to control a monster, and Lucius's requires the use of your Battle Phase- you can't use them going first, which is a huge hurdle to get over.

Also, Shadow Blade scratching for 600, and getting to use that 600 that turn, isn't exactly gamebreaking, even in triples- especially in triples, because then there isn't enough room on board for whatever you banished to return.

The End Phase delay is actually the primary balancing factor. Unless you open up with an Allure of Darkness and a hand full of bosses, or Stronghold/Shadow Blade/Zerato, you won't actively have a huge board, and even then you won't be able to do much with it. I was very careful in trying to prevent something stupid from happening, and I'd like you to notice a trend among the Level 4s- Shadow Blade's and Valkyria's banish-as-cost effects require your opponent to control a monster, and Lucius's requires the use of your Battle Phase- you can't use them going first, which is a huge hurdle to get over.

Also, Shadow Blade scratching for 600, and getting to use that 600 that turn, isn't exactly gamebreaking, even in triples- especially in triples, because then there isn't enough room on board for whatever you banished to return.

I must have forgotten about that. Yeah, that does limit them a bit. Alright, they are justified.

Good thing I missed Dragon Ruler format, or I might not be able to give a fair(ish) review!

Seeing the banish, not really seeing the speed. Yes, forcing all Summons to the EP prevents game breaking combos, but I feel that the swarming mentioned in the prompt isn't present. But, this is just a flavour note, as the mechanic itself is sound.

Aleister and Shadow Blade providing some searchingish on NS, which I feel might work better as just plain Summon. Although you can spam them a little, moving said spamming to the EP limits what you can do outside of the occasional handtrap, even within this archetype. Really your own means of defense is your Quick-Play spell...which only protects 1 monster as far as I can see. Said spell Spears is actually rather decent with the mill, but the archetype is EXTREMELY vulnerable to raigeki and similar removal means. Shadow's ATK gain effect could probably work as a SS2, as...it doesn't really do much, and Aleister's ATK gain is also SS1, unlike the original, again limiting plays.

The only thing you're going to be aiming for is a Valkyria lock, which is semi-decent, but lacking alternatives and the fact that you can only really SS one at a time makes the archetype very limited in what it can do. Fortunately you have SS2 effects on this card and Parshath, the latter of which excels at keeping your opponent from attacking and simply disrupting their plays. Lucius is a useful 2-of, only really good at simply enabling the deck in the first place, but Shogun...if you do end-up making the aforementioned ATK gaining cards decent, Shogun isn't really required. Even looking ahead, there are better beaters.

Queen's protection effect is a little nifty, but with Shogun, Aleister, etc. the monsters aren't exactly struggling during the BP. Swarming effect is nice though, if it does provide even more battle ensurity. I'm sensing a battle theme, but not really seeing it in the monster's effects. Yes, Queen and Lucius do have battle-related effects, but considering this archetype needs to stay heavily on the defensive beforehand...yeah. Hell, even Queen's battle protection doesn't seem to mesh well with her effect on your own monsters destroying by battle. This can be argued as good design, having offense and defense on the same card, but I would prefer they work better together. Perhaps if your own monster isn't destroyed as a result of that battle, perhaps?

Magician is decent, but the next three cards are where I think this archetype excels. Boss monsters that are easy, but delayed in getting out, along with mega-disruption and potential resource depletion outside of the field. Nothing else really to say here, other than Zeratos' destruction effect still doesn't make ATK gain a major point in the archetype. As for the phrasing on Voltanis' SS effect from the hand, it's really confusing, and I feel it should be worded like this:

"If a "Paraphys" monster, except "Paraphys Voltanis" is Special Summoned to your field by its own effect: You can target 1 card your opponent controls; Regardless, you can Tribute the Summoned monster to Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, banish that target."

I wish Stronghold provided more protection, but, to be honest, at this point I can't really tell if the archetype is trying to be offensive or defensive. My main impression is offensive in the BP, and yet you need to survive one of your opponent's turns to get there. The bosses help in this regard, but still. Consistency is key. Especially as a lot of the other cards rely on this Field, why not give it some form of protection as well? Selector is just purely a well designed helpful card, and so is the aforementioned Spears. Slashing is helpful to the offensive side of things in a good way...but I would rather a more protective trap, again to keep your monsters after they floated, but Spirits should probably allow you to return any number (out of the 5) to the GY if you control the field, as you may want to recycle some monsters or simply return others.

As I said, I'm not really seeing the SPEED in the archetype. You have searching with the S/T, along with ATK buffs all round, but the archetype does not have consistent ways to build up and keep a field. I know the EP was a restriction, but work with it! Don't just pretend it's the same as the SP of your turn, of which you can actually do stuff in the follow up BP. Still, as a Metaphys fan, I am eager to see this Paraphys up and running properly, so I hope this was helpful!

Mostly, to clarify, Paraphys is meant to be "control aggro", similar to something like Monarchs or Fortune Ladies- bringing out their own big threats while whittling away at the opponent's ability to fight back. Their protection effects are admittedly weak, but that's kinda the point- you want your opponent to keep wasting your resources, using your own banish effects to continuously keep coming back until your opponent runs out of things to kill you with. That's why Stronghold works the way it does, that's why you have opponent-dependent quick banish effects, that's why most of the effects are either based on battle or removal . . . and that's why I was hesitant to give them too many proactive playmakers.

That said, the archetype now has a new Level 4, 6, and 9. Aleister's effect has been fixed to a Quick Effect, and a new Continuous Trap.

If you have any ideas, remember that, thematically, every member is based off an existing Warrior, Spellcaster, or Fairy, with some alterations made to buff it (and, of course, the return effect).

As the creator of the prompt, I did have some ideas when I was writing it, and thus I got some thoughts on your approach:

1. When I said they float upon banishment, I meant assorted effects like searching an archetype monster, a Spell/Trap, summoning from the GY, etc. as Metaphys do. Instead, all of your Paraphys do the same when banished... can't say that I don't find this a bit plain.

2. The inclusion of Aleister bugs me. My idea was to, similar to Metaphys, Lightrays and Dark counterparts, mainly include monsters and bosses that are more standalone or part of a series, rather than archetypes. Granted, a few like Parshath, Darklord Zerato and Armed Dragon did become part of archetypes later on, but you get the idea, right? Not to mention that it may conflict with flavor because Aleister is already implied to turn into Caliga, a Beast Type.

3. A mention of the original monster they are based on would be helpful, since some are not as obvious, at least to me, like Rival and Queen.

4. Monsters like Gilford could still work, IMO. For instance, instead of a full nuke, you could make it choose between nuking the Main Monster or Spell/Trap Zones, but without banishing them so it's not as strong as Metaphys Daedalus/Nephthys. Just an idea xD

4. Kinda off-topic but I'm a bit puzzled about this "AGM exclusive grammar". I can accept the use of "Banished Zone", but I'm not sure of what to fix on the card text because I don't know what things are on purpose or not, like missing the new keywords GY, (Quick Effect), etc. Also you put the hard OPT clauses in parenthesis.

4. Kinda off-topic but I'm a bit puzzled about this "AGM exclusive grammar". I can accept the use of "Banished Zone", but I'm not sure of what to fix on the card text because I don't know what things are on purpose or not, like missing the new keywords GY, (Quick Effect), etc. Also you put the hard OPT clauses in parenthesis.

Yeah, I found the HOPT clause a bit weird too. But otherwise most of the AGM use PreLink everything, as most AGM cards were designed with Master Rule 3 in mind, so that means sticking with Master Rule 3 and all PreLink card grammar.

The thing was that, without something to unite them beyond "banish lol", I went for as basic a central core as I could- in this case, reviving after being banished, so that their field presence recurs. This also gave them a consistent gimmick I could work with in how I designed the effects, essentially allowing a vague sort of immortality shtick.

Generally speaking, a lot of generic Warriors and Spellcasters aren't all that good, or have effects related exclusively to swarming, so I was forced to either take extreme liberties with effects, or utilize monsters that are in archetypes. I did the latter, and in most cases it worked- I could blend them with another card from their own series or archetype, and make everything better for it.

That's part of the fun! I intentionally tried to be obtuse in both my choices and my name references, just to see if anyone remembered some old-as-hell cards- for example, I figured I'd use Grepher's Lucius form as a base (with the stats of LV 6, because Dark Lucius suuuucks in terms of actually using its effect), because that is another representation of him that I could easily rework for Paraphys. I almost made a few of them references to AGM-only monsters, but that would have made the guessing game too difficult for people who don't keep up with the group.

That's just considerably less fun, though. When you nuke, you go big or go home, and while I understand the reasoning behind not giving the archetype full-power boardwipes, I'm not going to castrate a Raigeki.

I knew I forgot something. AGM grammar is, essentially, 9.5- using certain time-saving changes (the newer HOPT text, "transfer", "Material for a Summon") while ignoring anything Link-centric (Main Monster Zone) or stupid (GY, 1 + 1+). We also retain "-Type", mostly for the sake of being more straightforward to comprehend, and we don't use /Normal (the card's already beige, you don't need any further clarification).

I put the HOPT in parenthesis as part of a general rule of thumb I follow- no more than 4 sentences in a card text, unless you're using a bulleted list. I can change it if it bothers you, but yeah.

The thing was that, without something to unite them beyond "banish lol", I went for as basic a central core as I could- in this case, reviving after being banished, so that their field presence recurs. This also gave them a consistent gimmick I could work with in how I designed the effects, essentially allowing a vague sort of immortality shtick.

Generally speaking, a lot of generic Warriors and Spellcasters aren't all that good, or have effects related exclusively to swarming, so I was forced to either take extreme liberties with effects, or utilize monsters that are in archetypes. I did the latter, and in most cases it worked- I could blend them with another card from their own series or archetype, and make everything better for it.

That's part of the fun! I intentionally tried to be obtuse in both my choices and my name references, just to see if anyone remembered some old-as-hell cards- for example, I figured I'd use Grepher's Lucius form as a base (with the stats of LV 6, because Dark Lucius suuuucks in terms of actually using its effect), because that is another representation of him that I could easily rework for Paraphys. I almost made a few of them references to AGM-only monsters, but that would have made the guessing game too difficult for people who don't keep up with the group.

That's just considerably less fun, though. When you nuke, you go big or go home, and while I understand the reasoning behind not giving the archetype full-power boardwipes, I'm not going to castrate a Raigeki.

I knew I forgot something. AGM grammar is, essentially, 9.5- using certain time-saving changes (the newer HOPT text, "transfer", "Material for a Summon") while ignoring anything Link-centric (Main Monster Zone) or stupid (GY, 1 + 1+). We also retain "-Type", mostly for the sake of being more straightforward to comprehend, and we don't use /Normal (the card's already beige, you don't need any further clarification).

I put the HOPT in parenthesis as part of a general rule of thumb I follow- no more than 4 sentences in a card text, unless you're using a bulleted list. I can change it if it bothers you, but yeah.

"If this card is banished: [Effect]" would be enough to tie them together, IMO xD

Not trying to shoehorn my ideas, bur for instance, Warriors like Freed and Rahz are more on the consistency side, so adding them to Paraphys with consistency effects would be fitting. Meanwhile, the Paraphysed Marauding Captain could offer them some swarming power, while the younger version of Freed could become a convenient way for banishing fellow Paraphys monsters. Then, if you remember Chain Summoning where Rahz is pulling Invader of Darkness from the D.D... then as the Fiend that it is, you can Paraphyse it as well and get some sort of story going on there... even Gagagigo could get involved, although it's Reptile type, but funnily enough that makes it closer to the Wyrm type. Thinking about, it would make more sense to Metaphyse Gagagigo instead.

Then again, my thing about Aleister is a nitpick, anyway. Part because Invoked is one of my favorite archetypes and personally it bugs me the idea or merging, or "corrupting" it with other archetypes, another part because it's relatively recent card while the idea of Paraphys was to revitalize or reference iconic monsters from past times. And yet another part is how it pretty much blatantly carbon-copies the effect of Aleister plus has a couple of improvements, while Metaphys monsters had major changes compared to the originals.

I can get behind that, even if I find annoying that I have to go look at card databases and filter the cards to spot the counterparts xD

It doesn't have to be one-sided field destruction. How about affecting both players? That could be interesting, IMO.

Nah, the parenthesis are fine. They just caught my attention.

But that would make some members just sit dead in the Banished Zone after use, and the AGM prominently features the grind game. Monster presence and resource backups are a much bigger deal, staying power is a necessity, and one-off "do this one time" effects are less relevant because we went out of our way to prevent "break my board" situations (except in protect the castle style Decks, who do their damnedest to keep one solitary boss alive), and floodgates are nigh-nonexistent. In other words, it was a usefulness call.

Yes, because having a bunch of draw and search effects in your archetype is so interesting. I get where you're going with trying to parallel the Gagagigo story, and that would be pretty fun from a flavor standpoint, but I'm thinking more in terms of seeing of the Deck in action- how much fun is it to use, how interesting is it to watch, what would you have to do to fight it effectively?

That's the thing. I'm looking at Paraphys as the villain to Metaphys- absorbing the best attributes of the people, angels, and demons they corrupt. Think of these guys along the lines of partially-infested people in StarCraft: Just sentient enough to still have their own goals and desires, but lending all their best characteristics to the swarm. That's actually the primary flavor idea I had going into this, which is why everyone has effects that are plagiarized and improved. The thread subtitle is "Wyrm Corruption" for a reason!

Heh. It's a scavenger hunt!

Possibly. That would also mean four monsters with 2800 ATK, though (five if you count Shogun with its boost), which is kinda weird.

But that would make some members just sit dead in the Banished Zone after use, and the AGM prominently features the grind game. Monster presence and resource backups are a much bigger deal, staying power is a necessity, and one-off "do this one time" effects are less relevant because we went out of our way to prevent "break my board" situations (except in protect the castle style Decks, who do their damnedest to keep one solitary boss alive), and floodgates are nigh-nonexistent. In other words, it was a usefulness call.

Not if they spin themselves into the deck like Metaphys do :v

Yes, because having a bunch of draw and search effects in your archetype is so interesting. I get where you're going with trying to parallel the Gagagigo story, and that would be pretty fun from a flavor standpoint, but I'm thinking more in terms of seeing of the Deck in action- how much fun is it to use, how interesting is it to watch, what would you have to do to fight it effectively?

You can be creative with them, you know? And IMO the approach of, let's say Metaphys, of separate searchers for archetype monsters and Spell/Traps works for me.

Besides, I don't find all of them having the same self-summoning effect as any more fun, but that's just my opinion. Especially when Macro/DImensional Fissure turns them all into Trick Clowns without burn, but IDK if such floodgates are in AGM in the first place.

Anyway, I get you. I may not agree with some of your decisions but it's your archetype after all, so anything you make with it it's fine. If it's tailored to AGM and these stuffs are necessities for the archetype, then so be it.

I mean, I'm of the opinion that any archetype that has more than like 4 cards with consistency as their primary use is just kinda . . . meh. I didn't like Nekroz as a concept, and when dismantling a meta Deck with a banlist I go after the consistency cards first (for example, when Zoo started being a problem, I suggested that Broadbull, Ratpier, and Barrage die first). Give an archetype 1 or 2 searchers, maybe 3 if the concept is limiting, and the rest should play primarily to playmaking with the resources you've got.

Macro Cosmos is an AGM-approved card, yes, but with it unsearchable and at 1, and very little in the way of alternatives, it's considerably harder to abuse. Plus, getting them at the End Phase means that your resources can't be as easily abused as EZPZ Xyz Material like Trick Clown.

Do you have any further suggestions? I mean, I'm not completely opposed to change, I'm just not the type to stack seven cards deep with searchers that search searchers.

I did add Gilford.

I agree with you. 2 searchers and 1 deck thinner/draw power card is fine, but anything more and IMO it gets too good and even annoying, like Nekroz and to a lesser extend Blue-Eyes who either go turbo with Trade-In, Awakening Dragon, Consonance, etc. or clog.

Anyway, I really can't give suggestions because I don't know AGM and thus I can't tell how these guys would do in the format nor what they need.

Archived