The Validity of Religion

「tea.leaf」

This, by no means, is meant to attack religious theories. Rather, this is to debate the validity of the institution of religion as a whole.

If we look into the past, we see that religion has helped unify and strengthened people. However, this institution has also been a great causation of much terror and conflict.

The question is, in our modern world, is there any reason to maintain religion? Does it have any practical value or contribution to humanity as a whole?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Religion can help people and give them hope. At the same time it can spread fear and fanatical obsessions. Is it necessary? No. Is it a good influence on people if you find the right one? Yes. I have always loved studying different religions especially the secrets of the bible. Of which there are many.

Guest JoshIcy

It gives hope to those who cannot find it in themselves. As I have seen in my own father and a few hundred other people... Without an outside belief they would/can go crazy and not exactly be a sane person. This keep their thoughts all in one. So yes it is practical for some if not most....

But as myself an Agnostic I cannot say the same...

Personally I am totally against major religions. Major religions have killed millions of people all over the world and have tried to crush smaller religions. I believe a world without religion would be a better place. On the other hand religion does bring hope to people and i can see some benefits

ok the simple plain truth about religion

religion, isn't needed

its just like a pat on the back, its there for encouragement

people take religion way to seriously

they push the line, and they push it on to many people

causing outraguous, outrage

science, god, religion

it all doesnt matter

if you like it, woopdy-doo

dont force it on other people

simply put

Eat your donut, and STFU!

The last word Ghandi ever spoke is all I need to say.

Brahma.

[spoiler=Disclaimer]Because someone is going to assume I am talking about god, I would like to state the following:

I am no theist, Brahma is not God, god judges and allows wars to happen WHILE HE WATCHES DOWN. Brahma is simply the universe, and all that manifests it and fills the void we know as space. All energy is one, and it is the only serious religious statement that physics can prove.

I feel absolutely revolted by religion because whenever it comes to the "You must believe what I believe", it kills many people and maims much more. Since religion also provides comfort, I would say it is not needed as Bloodrun stated, but people would still cling onto it. If we learned to settle our differences, then maybe we can live with other belief systems. Otherwise, I would say a world without religion is best.

Religion can help people and give them hope. At the same time it can spread fear and fanatical obsessions. Is it necessary? No. Is it a good influence on people if you find the right one? Yes. I have always loved studying different religions especially the secrets of the bible. Of which there are many.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inquisition

You are doing it wrong.

Its:

http://en.wikipedia.org/Inquisition

Or you could do the browser crashing version, but that was so 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inquisition

You are doing it wrong.

Its:

http://en.wikipedia.org/Inquisition

Or you could do the browser crashing version' date=' but that was so 2007.

[/quote']

I have Mozilla :P

True...but in real life,it's a different story all together...

Life is full of pain & suffering & to believe that there's hope is absurd & it gives you an illusion away from the truth. Faith is no real value when it faces real life.

I see religion as a think to give life a purpose.

If not, there will be more robbery, drugadicts, and crap, because if no religion, they won't think there is a final judgement

I don't really belive in BIG religions >_>

It is true, religion is not neccessary, and has killed millions of people of the ages, but it is important for the world. It helps us all feel secure. It helps us all live by a certain level of standards. It keeps some order among its own people.

The main downside about religion is that members of a religion, believe it neccessary to spread their religion, thinking that others will be just as happy and secure with it as you are.

But once you have chosen your religion, it takes something serious and big to make you change your spiritual beliefs, and your way of life. So, people usually resist, and the forced religion and the original religion's people, find in neccessary to quarrel over their beliefs, thinking it best that everyone is the same.

But is that not one of the fundemental human natures itself? The urge to make everyone and everything the same? To make it equal, and balanced?

My views on religion are simple.

I'm christian for one major reason, not because I have all that faith, but because I enjoy being on the safe side.

If I end up rotting in the ground, no big deal, if I end up going to heaven, no big deal, if I end up reincarnating, well, I'm becoming Hindu.. Possibly as an animal, but still.

No matter what happens, I don't lose a thing.

It's better than just going around proclaiming that the ground is our permanent future.

=/.

2sick~

It is true' date=' religion is not neccessary, and has killed millions of people of the ages, but it is important for the world. It helps us all feel secure. It helps us all live by a certain level of standards. It keeps some order among its own people.

The main downside about religion is that members of a religion, believe it neccessary to spread their religion, thinking that others will be just as happy and secure with it as you are.

But once you have chosen your religion, it takes something serious and big to make you change your spiritual beliefs, and your way of life. So, people usually resist, and the forced religion and the original religion's people, find in neccessary to quarrel over their beliefs, thinking it best that everyone is the same.

But is that not one of the fundemental human natures itself? The urge to make everyone and everything the same? To make it equal, and balanced?

[/quote']

Us all? You mean people who cannot be content with life being exactly the way it is. Yeah, I thought so.

religion' date=' isn't needed

science, god, religion

it all doesnt matter

simply put

[/quote']

NUFF Said.

I have always found this debate interesting. My opinion is that religions have and will exist no matter what. They have existed since the beginning of humanity and they will keep existing until humanity dissapears. The explanation to this is simple because humans have always found the need to explain things they couldn't explain, hope and find an explanation for life through religion. But yet again we cannot foget all the bad things religion brought to humanity. The inquisitions the crusades, have brought many death and suffering to innocent people. Therefore religion is useless in any shape or form but it will always exist because of the ignorance of certain people.

Solution:

Religion isn't true. It's gives people a purpose to live, and it gives people something to die for. Religion is a healthy thing to have in your life; but it is also a very arrogant matter. Remember, whenever you pray, you're saying that every other religion is wrong and that yours is right. I'm an atheist; and I'm a happy one too. I've chosen to separate myself from these lies; to some people this may be incredible slander. I don't consider atheism a bad thing; I consider it a shroud to protect me from all the lies that churches preach.

my thoughts: Religion is evil. I think the main reason it was created was to make it easier to control people of an older civilization. Sure I could punish you for something you did bad; or I could just tell you in advance that if you do something bad, you go to hell.

:|

Religion is not only something to give people a "pat on the back", over the years it has shaped societies and cultures, formed the dreams and goals of generations, driving society as a whole forward. No matter what religion you believe in, the belief of something bigger than humanity, some thing more important, is vital for our world to function. And yes, it does encourage people.....but what is wrong with that? nothing.

@Cyber Altair: I dont think its fair to say that "religion" brought those things. Religion is to broad. Yes, some religions did do that, but others didn't. You can't forget that over all the years, it has also brought acceptance, many great thinkers, and cultural prosperity.

Religion brought Discrimination' date=' Stupidity and Narrow Minded Leaders.

[/quote']

I agree with this statement. However I dont believe that necessarily all leaders who are involved with a religion are stupid and narrow-minded.

religion' date=' isn't needed

science, god, religion

it all doesnt matter

simply put

[/quote']

Heck yeahz! Religion governs people, and people take it too seriously. I sure don't want to be governed by a third party!

[/quote']

I agree with this statement. However I dont believe that necessarily all leaders who are involved with a religion are stupid and narrow-minded.

Iran

Syria

Libya

The leaders of these countries are all heavily associated with Islam. They are all nutjobs.

Find me one country with a leader strongly associated with religion on a PERSONAL level that is not out of his mind. ("his mind" because the rest of the world doesn't have female leaders, other than I think The Philipines)

[/quote']

Iran

Syria

Libya

The leaders of these countries are all heavily associated with Islam. They are all nutjobs.

Find me one country with a leader strongly associated with religion on a PERSONAL level that is not out of his mind. ("his mind" because the rest of the world doesn't have female leaders, other than I think The Philipines)

Islam is also a very violent form of religion. Well at least the urban Islam spreading in Iraq where you suicide bomb everybody.

Archived