Paper Mario Cards! (Minor Return Update)

leakybucket

First, a few things to claim:

1. My primary goal for this series/archetype is to create cards based on Paper Mario and TTYD. I have not played Super Paper Mario, so if I ever plan to make cards as such it will be in the distant future.

2. If you note any ocg errors, please suggest corrections. The help is appreciated.

3. Images mostly come from in-game screens, sprites, promotional and concept art sourced from Nintendo. I attempt to use actual game images for the monster cards. Future Spells and Traps may use fanart which I will credit.

pmbooster.png

notes: artwork from PM TTYD promotional art, found on IGN. Logo from original PM menu screen.

Monsters:

[spoiler=Main Characters:]

Mario&Partners:

217385q.jpg217385.jpg

217385a.jpg217385aid.jpg

Bombette Lore: This card cannot attack your opponent directly. Once per turn, you may discard a card from your hand to activate this card's effects:

- Discard 1 Spell: Destroy 1 face-up Spell your opponent controls.

- Discard 1 Trap: Destroy 1 face-up Trap your opponent controls.

217385.jpg217385h.jpg

Parakarry Lore: During your Battle Phase, you can select 1 Level 3 or lower 'Paper' monster you control. That monster can attack your opponent's Life Points directly. This card cannot declare an attack the turn this effect is activated. If this card declares an attack, this effect cannot be activated.

Lady Bow Lore: This effect can only be activated when you control both a 'Paper Mario' and this card. When an opposing monster attacks either 'Paper Mario' or 'Paper Partner Lady Bow', remove the cards listed from play to end your opponent's Battle Phase. During your next Standby Phase, return the two cards to your side of the field. This card cannot declare an attack the turn it is Special Summoned by this effect.

217385.jpg217385.jpg

217385.jpg217385.jpg

Lakilester Lore: If you control a 'Paper Mario', you can flip a coin during your Standby Phase. If Heads, 'Paper Mario' cannot be the target of an attack or card effect this turn. If Tails, lose 300 Life Points. When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle, summon 1 'Spiny Token' (Reptile/EARTH/Lv1/Atk 100/Def 1000) to your opponent's side of the field in face-up defense position. 'Spiny Token's cannot be used for Tribute. When a 'Spiny Token' is destroyed, its controller loses 300 Life Points.

217385n.jpg217385t.jpg

Madame Flurrie Lore: This card cannot be Special Summoned, except by the effect of 'Paper Mario'. During your Standby Phase, for every card you choose to discard from your hand, return an equal number of monsters your opponent controls to their owner's hand. This card cannot declare an attack the turn this effect is activated. This card returns to its owner's hand during the End Phase after it was summoned.

217385.jpg217385.jpg

Kid Yoshi Lore: You can only activate this effect when your opponent controls 2 or more monsters. During your Standby Phase, select 1 of your opponent's monsters and have it attack another of your opponent's monsters. Your opponent suffers all battle damage. This card cannot declare an attack the turn this effect is activated.

Vivian Lore: When this card is in Defense Position during your Standby Phase, place 1 'Shadow Siren' counter on each of your opponent's monsters (max 3). When a monster with 1 or more 'Shadow Siren' counters on it is destroyed in battle by this card, it's owner looses 200 Life Points for each 'Shadow Siren' counter. When this card has been in the Graveyard for 5 or more turns, you my Special Summon it to your side of the field. This Special Summon is treated as a Normal Summon.

217385.jpg217385.jpg

Admiral Bobbery Lore: This card cannot attack your opponent directly. During your Standby Phase, you may flip a coin to activate the following effects:

- Heads: Destroy all of your opponent's face-up monsters with attack lower than this card. This card cannot declare an attack the turn this effect is activated.

- Tails: You loose 500 Life Points. Destroy 1 face-down card on the field.

Mz. Mowz Lore: During your Standby Phase, discard 1 card from your hand. Select 1 Trap from your opponent's Graveyard and add it to your hand. This card cannot declare an attack the turn this effect is activated. If this card destroys in battle a monster equipped with any Equip Spells, add them to your hand.

Notes: Mario and partners' effects are based of in game special abilities, and the fact that only 1 attack can be made for each characters' turn.

Other Main Characters:

217385u.jpg217385e.jpg

Peach Lore: As long as this card remains face-up on your side of the field, gain 100 Life Points during your Draw Phase. If you also control a 'Paper Mario', gain an additional 100 Life Points when this effect activates. This card cannot be the target of an attack if you also control a 'Paper Mario'.

Twink Lore: If a 'Paper Princess Peach' you control would be destroyed by an opponent's card effect, Tribute this card from your side of the field or your hand to keep 'Paper Princess Peach' on the field. Skip to your opponent's End Phase. When this card is sent to the Graveyard by this effect, select 1 Spell from your Deck and add it to your hand.

217385.jpg217385g.jpg

Bowser Lore: When this card destroys an opponent's monster in battle, you may Special Summon 1 monster from your Graveyard whose level is equal to or less than the destroyed monster. If this card would do battle with a monster with higher ATK, Tribute 1 monster on your side of the field to activate 1 Trap from your hand.

notes: Custom background for Princess Peach. Twink edited in GIMP from in game sprite (no pictures of him exist). Backgrounds for Bowser and Kammy Koopa come from a DS screenshot of the updated Bowser's Castle 64 track.

[spoiler=Shy Guys]

217385o.jpg217385.jpg

Gourmet Guy Lore: This card cannot be Summoned or Set unless you have 2 or more unoccupied Monster Card Zones. When this card is face-up on your side of the field, 1 of your Monster Card Zones cannot be used. If a card effect causes this card to gain ATK, it gains an additional 500 ATK.

217385.jpg217385.jpg

217385rxh.jpg217385s.jpg

Spy Guy Lore: FLIP: Double the ATK of this card the turn it is flipped face-up. If this card is flipped face-up due to an opponent's monster's attack, it is switched into Attack Position before damage calculation. Once this card is face-up for more than 1 turn, you may Tribute it to negate the activation of an opponent's Trap and destroy it.

Notes: Shy Guy images from in game Paper Mario sprites, edited by me with GIMP.

[spoiler=Bosses]

217385s.jpg217385w.jpg

Hooktail

Discard up to 4 cards from your hand. This card gains 100 ATK for each card discarded by this effect until the End Phase. If this card is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard, you can discard 5 cards total from your hand or the top of your Deck and Special Summon this card to the field.

Doopliss

Once during your turn, select 1 monster on the field. The ATK of this card matches the selected monster's ATK. This card's name is treated as the selected monster's and gains any effects of the selected monster. Any card effects that name the selected monster instead apply only to this card.

Spells&Traps:

[spoiler=Partner Abilities:]

217385x.jpg217385f.jpg

217385a.jpg217385.jpg

Artwork for Partner Abilities from in game mosaics.

[spoiler=Star Spirits:]

217385sjr.jpg217385n.jpg

217385.jpg217385s.jpg

217385c.jpg217385.jpg

217385hel.jpg217385c.jpg

Star Beam Lore: You cannot activate this card unless you control 1 'Paper Mario' and 1 or more 'Paper Partner's. This card can only be activated after each of the 'Paper Star Spirit's ('Eldstar', 'Mamar', 'Skolar', 'Muskular', 'Misstar', 'Klevar', 'Kalmar') have successfully been activated. Remove the 'Paper Star Spirit's listed above from play. After your opponent's next Draw Phase, end their turn. Your opponent gains 500 Life Points for every monster they control during their Draw Phase. This effect continues until your opponent's 3rd End Phase.

Notes: I've used images from the Star Spirits' appearance in Mario Party 5 as in game sprites are too small. Backgrounds are customized in GIMP.

Next to come: Unknown. Might have to update some of the older cards.

I like them.

Couple of wording corrections:

Watt Lore:

"This card cannot be destroyed by battle. When this card attacks a defense position monster, you do not take any battle damage and your opponent takes 500 damage after damage calculation."

Sushie Lore:

"When this card is summoned, select 1 card you control (except this card) and 1 card your opponent controls; return the selected cards to their owner's hands."

(Semicolons are used in card lore, here's proof)

Lakilester Lore: If you control a 'Paper Mario', you can flip a coin during your Standby Phase. If Heads, 'Paper Mario' cannot be the target of an attack or card effect this turn. If Tails, lose 300 Life Points. When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle, summon 1 'Spiny Token' (Reptile/EARTH/Lv1/Atk 100/Def 1000) to your opponent's side of the field in face-up defense position. 'Spiny Tokens' cannot be tributed. When a 'Spiny Token' is destroyed, its controller takes 300 damage.

(If it said owner, you, not your opponent, would take 300 damage.)

That's all for now

Holy crap, Its the apocolypse. Someone actually played/made cards from Paper Mario, With effects that are accurate to what they do o_o

Bravo Leaky!

And I <3 the Artwork for the Shy Guys

And although Watt is an awesome charactor, I say Watt should give another monster on your side of the field the ability to inflict piercing damage/increse thare ATK. Since she has the ability to power up Mario and all, And cause him to do more damage/he becomes invincible-ish.

Also, I want to see a card of Huff and Puff next :3

(my favorite boss from Paper Mario btw...)

it's good! 9/10

I just don't understand the Star Beam. Your opponent "gains" life points?

The main extent of 'Star Beam' is to end your opponent's turn after their Draw Phase for 3 of their turns. As a failsafe from making the card too unfair, I added the life point recovery based off of the opponent's monsters (for 3 turns all they can do is be attacked. I imagine if you could play for 3 turns without having your opponent play any other cards, you could destroy their monsters quickly). However, given the steep nature of activating Star Beam, I could do away with the life points and just have it suspend your opponent's next 3 turns.

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived