Console War

Poseidon©

Wii

Pros: Low prices' date=' SSBB, cool motion controlling, Wii shop, has remakes of GC games, can play GC games

Cons: [b']Too many E and E+10 games. Doesn't have very good titles for older players.[/b]

So did the NES and SNES.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PS3:

Pros: Great games, decent online, graphics pwn, blu ray.

Cons: Cost, not as many games as XBOX 360.

XBOX 360:

Pros: Moar games, Awesome online, Less $ than ps3

Cons: RRoD, Graphics are not as good as ps3,

Wii:

Pros: uhhh, cheap? SSBB?

Cons: Childish, sheet graphics, Most games suck so bad, but I have my hopes about the conduit, and it has bad hardware.

PS3:

Pros: Great games' date=' decent online, graphics pwn, blu ray.

XBOX 360:

Wii:

Pros: uhhh, cheap? SSBB?

Cons: Childish, s*** graphics, [b']Most games suck so bad[/b], but I have my hopes about the conduit, and it has bad hardware.

The same can be said about the PS3, 360, DS, PSP, GC, PS2, Xbox, hell, every system.

PS3:

Pros: Great games' date=' decent online, graphics pwn, blu ray.

XBOX 360:

Wii:

Pros: [b']cheap, SSBB, famiy-oriented, free gaming WiFi, supports GameCube games, WiiFit, etc[/b]

Cons: Childish, s*** graphics, Most games suck so bad, but I have my hopes about the conduit, and it has bad hardware.

Fix'd.

Also, I play WiiFit. =D

But it is aimed at adults, I do agree with that.

The XBOX 360 has way too many errors. I checked on Wikipedia, between 3% and 5% of all XBOX 360 consoles made have some kind of "deadly" error. Some include RRoD, overheating, disc scratching, etc.

That is the main problem that system has. Most people that own a 360 have had some problem with it.

Also' date=' for those that watch G4, it can take very little damage compaired to the Wii and PS3.

[/quote']

I have a lot of friends who own a Wii, and out of all of them, only one person ever had a problem with their Wii.

Nintendo really do wonder's on the design.

EDIT: Here are some sales figures just to show you how much people (in general) love the Wii:

Wii sales (up until March 31, 2009): 50.39 Million (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii)

XBOX 360 sales (up until March 31, 2009): 30.2 Million (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360)

PS3 sales (up until March 31, 2009): 22.73 Million (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3)

Wii sales more than double PS3 sales and more than 1.5x XBOX 360 sales.

Well yeah, I actually have a lot more fun on the wii then any other system, but the other systems are better. But wii is quite childish and is only fun when playing with other people. Ps3 and Xbox 360 are just intense and realistic, also very fun.

Well yeah' date=' I actually have a lot more fun on the wii then any other system, but the other systems are [i']better.[/i] But wii is quite childish and is only fun when playing with other people. Ps3 and Xbox 360 are just intense and realistic, also very fun.

From my own experiences, I beg to differ. I enjoy playing my Wii by myself. SSBB and Punch Out!! alone can easily eat up several hours.

Well yeah' date=' I actually have a lot more fun on the wii then any other system, but the other systems are [i']better.[/i] But wii is quite childish and is only fun when playing with other people. Ps3 and Xbox 360 are just intense and realistic, also very fun.

The same holds true for the 360 and PS3. I mean ask any one you know that owns a 360 if they would have got it if it didn't have live and they would, likely, say no.

Hell of the 3 I'd say the Wii has the most good, exclusive, single player games.

[spoiler=Wii]

Graphics: The Wii's graphics are last gen. That's putting it mildly. For the most part, the graphics are terrible. I know there's the "Oh, graphics don't matter at all!" argument, but that is false. You shouldn't buy something just because of the graphics, it's true. But they do matter. Alot. Rarely will I buy a game that has terrible graphics, simply because I can't stand watching it. Look at the first word in the name of the medium itself: "Video". Wouldn't that be some indication as to an important aspect? Basically, good graphics are not a major influencing factor in "Do I want to buy this?", but terrible graphics are definitely one.

Controls: Motion control and 5 buttons aren't enough for most games today. It's rather gimmicky, and some games' control is just frustrating. It doesn't control like a real game should. ALL the games should have an option to play with a gamecube controller (Brawl does this, and the developers even say it's much better that way), because splinter cell just doesn't work with a wiimote.

Power: The wii has the least processing power. The only thing next-gen about it is the time period in which it was released.

Games: The wii has very few games I'm interested in playing. The fact that it has gamecube games is not a very good bonus. Let's see, good gamecube exclusive games: Eternal Darkness, SSBM, Baten Kaitos, and Fire Emblem. Damn, those are probably the best games playable on the wii aside from twilight princess (which is also on gamecube). I'd rather just go buy a gamecube than the wii. At least it has a real controller.

Other: The reason the wii sells more, is because it targets demographics no other game systems (well, perhaps the DS does this too) were ever intended to. People that don't know anything about what makes a great game great will buy it for their wii plays and their brain trainers. I really don't consider it an actual game console in a sense. Maybe I'm a xenophobic idiot, or perhaps it's just that motion control with not enough actual buttons got boring after an hour of bowling >_>

[spoiler=PS3]

Graphics: The PS3 seems to consistently have the best graphics out of the 3. Not always though.

Controls: I think it has the best control scheme for RPGs, Action-RPGs, Hack and slash, and Strategy RPGS. Motion control isn't overused, and in most games you can turn it off.

Power: The cell processor has the most power out of the 3 systems, though the disk spins half as fast as the 360, giving it somewhat slower load times.

Games: It has the excellent lineup of the PSX and the PS2 in its arsenal, along with most of the 360's games. It is rather lacking on exclusives, however. One might argue that FFXIII being on the 360 spells its doom, but the PS3 version will be better, and not on multiple disks. The creator is pissed it's going to be on 360, thus the PS3 version will be made superior in every way he can get away with. Oh, and the 360 isn't getting Versus.

Other: Blu-ray disks are better than hd-dvds, it has free online that's as easy to use as Live, it has an internet browser, and it can play blu-ray movies and regular dvds.

[spoiler=360]

Graphics: Slightly worse than the PS3, sometimes better, sometimes MUCH worse. It usually puts out great graphics, but is often outclassed by the PS3.

Controls: I honestly have no idea how you can hold the controller wrong. The minute I picked it up, the minute my friends picked it up, the minute I handed it to someone who has never played a game in their entire life it immediately slid into the perfect position. It's best suited to FPS, RTS, Platformers, Some RPGs, and Fighting games. It abandons the awkward black and white buttons for bumpers similar to the PS3's L1 and R1 buttons, which I believe was a great decision.

Power: The console is very powerful. While this has caused the RROD in earlier releases, the Elite (and I believe all the new ones) have a much improved cooling system. I have NEVER has a problem with my elite.

Games: It shares most of the PS3's lineup. It has more exclusives, such as Gears of War and Halo.

Other: The 360 is an all around great console. Some complain about it having a disk tray. Lolwut? Hd-dvd is weaker than blu-ray however, and it cannot play hd-dvd videos on it's own. Live is the original online experience, and only $60 a year.

Graphics: The Wii's graphics are last gen. That's putting it mildly. For the most part' date=' the graphics are terrible. I know there's the "Oh, graphics don't matter at all!" argument, but that is [i']false[/i]. You shouldn't buy something just because of the graphics, it's true. But they do matter. Alot. Rarely will I buy a game that has terrible graphics, simply because I can't stand watching it. Look at the first word in the name of the medium itself: "Video". Wouldn't that be some indication as to an important aspect? Basically, good graphics are not a major influencing factor in "Do I want to buy this?", but terrible graphics are definitely one.

You make it sound like the Wii's graphics are eyes bleed bad. Sure they are crap if you look at even the 360, but they still are about the same as last gen. IMO last gen looked nice and so the Wii's graphis are "sub-par", not terrible.

And you can't lable a console automatically horrible because of it's graphics. Take really old consoles, the N64 in particular. The graphics (I should know, I have one) are drop-dead disgusting. Still, the N64 was one of the best consoles in the world. Why? Because graphics don't affect the overall rating of a console a lot.

The Wii is the only out of the three consoles that doesn't use a standard hand-held controller.

The Wii is the only out of the three to have the best sales for new-gen consoles.

The Wii is the only out of the three (I think) to have free WiFi accessibility for many of it's games.

Wii has SSBB, WiiFit, WiiSports, SMG, and a bunch of highly rated games.

Wii has less than a 1% error console rate (according to Wiki).

At the E3, Wii said they were coming out with WiiFit +, WiiMotion, SMBWii and SMG2. The originals were big sellers.

At $250, the console and game together is considered cheap.

And then the graphics suck.

...positives outweigh negatives. :O

And you can't lable a console automatically horrible because of it's graphics. Take really old consoles' date=' the N64 in particular. The graphics (I should know, I have one) are drop-dead disgusting. Still, the N64 was one of the best consoles in the world. Why? Because graphics don't affect the overall rating of a console a lot.

The Wii is the only out of the three consoles that doesn't use a standard hand-held controller.

The Wii is the only out of the three to have the best sales for new-gen consoles.

[b']Sales don't matter[/b]

The Wii is the only out of the three (I think) to have free WiFi accessibility for many of it's games.

PS3 has free internet if I'm not mistaken.

At the E3, Wii said they were coming out with WiiFit +, WiiMotion, SMBWii and SMG2. The originals were big sellers.

And you can't lable a console automatically horrible because of it's graphics. Take really old consoles' date=' the N64 in particular. The graphics (I should know, I have one) are drop-dead disgusting. Still, the N64 was one of the best consoles in the world. Why? Because graphics don't affect the overall rating of a console a lot.

[b']The Wii is the only out of the three consoles that doesn't use a standard hand-held controller.[/b]

Hold on. There's a bit more.

For one, the Wii is at, numerous times, left out on really good multiplatform games, mostly due to either:

1) The Wii not being able to handle the game (I think Street Fighter 4 is an example that falls under this)

2) The people in charge of a multiplatform game simply don't want to make it for the Wii for reasons such as not wanting to "step backwards" or things like that.

Secondly, of the 3, the Virtaul Console has recently been the worst retro station (note that I say RECENTLY).

Thirdly, the "standard" handheld controller is by no means a positive. It's not a negative, either. It's just neutral.

[b']The Wii is the only out of the three consoles that doesn't use a standard hand-held controller.[/b]

For one, the Wii is at, numerous times, left out on really good multiplatform games, mostly due to either:

1) The Wii not being able to handle the game (I think Street Fighter 4 is an example that falls under this)

2) The people in charge of a multiplatform game simply don't want to make it for the Wii for reasons such as not wanting to "step backwards" or things like that.

Secondly, of the 3, the Virtaul Console has recently been the worst retro station (note that I say RECENTLY).

Recent doesn't matter when you do an over view of the consoles. You look at the whole, and I'd say the VC wins that hands down.

Thirdly, the "standard" handheld controller is by no means a positive. It's not a negative, either. It's just neutral.

I think the reason games like that are not for the Wii is because of the controller. This may sound stupid' date=' but games like SF4 use a lot of buttons, and the WiiMote and Nunchuck don't have many buttons. =\

[/quote']

If they really wanted to make the game for the Wii they would use GC.

Recent doesn't matter when you do an over view of the consoles. You look at the whole, and I'd say the VC wins that hands down.

I think the reason games like that are not for the Wii is because of the controller. This may sound stupid' date=' but games like SF4 use a lot of buttons, and the WiiMote and Nunchuck don't have many buttons. =\

[/quote']

Hence why I said RECENTLY.

You didn't say WHY it was positive/negative. ;D

Also, they wouldn't go back to using GameCube controllers on a next-gen console. They would much rather use that... standard controller. Whatever it's called.

EDIT:

"My parents wont buy me every console' date=' so I'm going to BAWWWWWWWWW on a forum and act like no other console is worthwhile."

[/quote']

Lolfail.

You think anyone has 700+ dollars to spend on consoles alone, with another 60 per game? Maybe those rich people, but that's not a majority of the population.

[/quote']

I know that is why you said recently. But why did you bring it up if you know it doesn't matter.

Also a good number of Nintendo's, and others, AAA titles have already come out on the system.

[/quote']

I know that is why you said recently. But why did you bring it up if you know it doesn't matter.

Also a good number of Nintendo's, and others, AAA titles have already come out on the system.

Here's the thing, though. If this sucking continues, it will eventually stop being good overall.

Like someone said before, everytime people say the Wii is going to lose it's sales prowess, it never does. Obviously it will become obsolete when the 2012 consoles are released. But for now, it's hanging there pretty strong.

Graphics: The Wii's graphics are last gen. That's putting it mildly. For the most part' date=' the graphics are terrible. I know there's the "Oh, graphics don't matter at all!" argument, but that is [i']false[/i]. You shouldn't buy something just because of the graphics, it's true. But they do matter. Alot. Rarely will I buy a game that has terrible graphics, simply because I can't stand watching it. Look at the first word in the name of the medium itself: "Video". Wouldn't that be some indication as to an important aspect? Basically, good graphics are not a major influencing factor in "Do I want to buy this?", but terrible graphics are definitely one.

You make it sound like the Wii's graphics are eyes bleed bad. Sure they are crap if you look at even the 360, but they still are about the same as last gen. IMO last gen looked nice and so the Wii's graphics are "sub-par", not terrible.

I enjoyed the last gen's graphics too.

From what I've played, most of my PS2 games have better graphics (does playing them on a PS3 affect the graphics?) than the majority of games on the Wii.

I did not make them out to be eye-bleed bad. I said terrible, which is at least one step above XD

Everything past the 3rd sentence of that paragraph wasn't even talking about the Wii >_>

And you can't lable a console automatically horrible because of it's graphics. I didn't >_> Take really old consoles' date=' the N64 in particular. The graphics (I should know, I have one) are drop-dead disgusting. Still, the N64 was one of the best consoles in the world. Why? Because graphics don't affect the overall rating of a console a lot. [i'] The graphics were not considered bad, because those were the best they had at the time. If you've played games with nothing but sprite graphics, then move up to 3D, it looks really good. If you've been playing current gen games and then play a last gen game, it looks worse to you than if you had played the last gen game first. [/i]

Standard hand-held controllers are perfect. Deeper control schemes don't work very well with the remote/nunchuck pair. It ends up making nearly every game feel gimmicky and awkward to play. Brawl even controls badly with it. The creators even admit that a GC controller is much better for that game, which is why they included the option.

Sales don't mean anything. The majority of people in the world are idiots, people that would never play a real game purchase the wii, and it's mainly utilized as a gimmicky toy by the majority of buyers.

PS3 has free online too and the 360's online is reasonably priced. The friend code system is more of a hassle than the other console's matchmaking systems. The PS3 can surf the internet, and you can rent movies with the 360. The Wii can.........check the weather. Ahh yes, the environmental conditions outside my house are crucial elements in regards to my indoor gaming experience.

Melee was better, who is going to use wiifit to actually stay in shape?, bowling is the only fun part of wii sports and it can even grow tedious, and mario platformers got stale during the early gamecube era. That leaves us with Fire Emblem and Metroid Prime as the only good exlcusives I can think of off the top of my head. If anyone is even considering bringing up Wii Play's sales in defense of the wii, (pardon my abbreviation) you can gtfo. Everyone knows that the only reason it sells is because of the free remote.

My consoles haven't had problems at all. And answer me this: would you rather have a state of the art computer that freezes about once a month, or a 10 year old model that runs flawlessly?

Once again, sales doesn't reflect the quality.

Good price does not equal good product.

You think anyone has 700+ dollars to spend on consoles alone' date=' with another 60 per game?

[/quote']

*Raises hand*

$1200 dollars I believe.

PS3 was $600, Wii was $250, and I think the 360 was around $350.

Archived